Like Tree9945Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Could you break this down a bit? Not a sprinter. Don't know what the numbers mean.
    The first number is how many of each run he is doing. So two 800m follow by four 400m etc...
    ***Important note i think he meant 5-10 100m not 5-10 1000m that would be kinda weird.

and no one could spirit this whole workout. You would literally die. Ummm..theres a few ways to do this even tho he didnt list split times or rest times.

There is a really cool way to do interval training without using rest time if you have a heart rate monitor. So every time ur heart rate gets back down to 140bpm u go!
    So for you spiderneck if you are in about the same shape i met you in.

800m in 3:30
    400m in 1:40
    200m in 45secs
    and 100m spirits
    Last edited by coldblood92; 05-04-2014 at 12:47 PM.
    dem7191 likes this.

Forum Member

Also a Member of the PD and I have heard that we get it on the front and so heard that the time only counts on the back. Regardless means absolutely nothing to me can't wait for my run letter. I was wondering however since I can't get a straight answer from anyone in the pension dept what the actual time is for a gap in service between city agencies is. Please I know no bridges should be burned and that leaving a city job for another one before actually swearing in is complete lunacy but I want to resign the day after I pass my run and just burn up whatever time on the books I have left. I would literally mow lawns for cash until July 14th now that I am 100% dedicAted to becoming a probie and nothing else. I need to know how long of a gap in service you can have w out screwing up your pension if it's one day than obviously I'll stick it out but if it's a month than I'm enjoying my last couple of weeks before the rock instead of pulling ppl over at 430 in the mornjng
    KingOfNeptune likes this.

Forum Member

No stair master training anymore? I notice a lot of guys forget about the stairs after the medical.

Im asking you guys in the academy, should we intensify our stair training after the medical or is it a good idea to forget it and just focus on running and sprints? I only do stairs once a week now while the rest of the week is running. But even Tho I only Do Stairs Once A week, I Make It a straight 20 Min Session (10 minutes w/50 lb vest and 10 minutes without the vest). But it seems a lot of guys stop doing it completely.
    I'm still doing the stairs 2-3x a week, it's a good work out and I like that it's a different cardio work out than just running.

Forum Member

Even though stairmaster isnt part of PT, it's still part of FST. And it's a lot harder than that CPAT version.

Forum Member

Unsure how to quote all the responses. Hope all can follow

Not in Brooklyn, in Harlem.

For the sprints, I always liked to rest for the time you sprinted. This, if you keep track, will help you see progress.

Just the sheer fact of doing the workout it good. But if you're looking for a challenge run and rest for the same length of time.

So roughly 2/3min 800m run. Rest. First 400 approx 1 min or so. Rest 1 min. After your first sprints worry less about the times. But aim for under 1 min 400s. Sub 25-30 second 200. And in the low teens or under for the 100. If you go below 10seconds. Delete your firehouse account and run in the Olympics.

Best time I ever posted was a 10.4 and still didn't win high school state championship-long story. That was over ten years ago too. For some reason sprinting Ive always been very good at.

Just get your times and go from there. The idea is to get the heart rate high in the zone and then recover. This will ultimately speed up your distance runs/times a bit. Plus the variety is nice.

Ymmv

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post

Not in Brooklyn, in Harlem.

For the sprints, I always liked to rest for the time you sprinted. This, if you keep track, will help you see progress.

Just the sheer fact of doing the workout it good. But if you're looking for a challenge run and rest for the same length of time.

So roughly 2/3min 800m run. Rest. First 400 approx 1 min or so. Rest 1 min. After your first sprints worry less about the times. But aim for under 1 min 400s. Sub 25-30 second 200. And in the low teens or under for the 100. If you go below 10seconds. Delete your firehouse account and run in the Olympics.

Best time I ever posted was a 10.4 and still didn't win high school state championship-long story. That was over ten years ago too. For some reason sprinting Ive always been very good at.

Just get your times and go from there. The idea is to get the heart rate high in the zone and then recover. This will ultimately speed up your distance runs/times a bit. Plus the variety is nice.

Ymmv
    dude lol do you realize how few people can run a sub 2min 800 or a sub 1min 400m.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    dude lol do you realize how few people can run a sub 2min 800 or a sub 1min 400m.
    actually i cant even do a sub 2min 800. I can do a sub 50sec 400. Anyone reading this...stick to the numbers i put up lol. Try that and go from there. Message me if you want more info

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post

Based on these numbers you should be doing a sub 8 min for 1.5 miles. Im not saying its not possible, but lol
    test2000 likes this.

Forum Member

Anybody here planning on doing the Spartan Ultra beast this Fall? It's like 26+ miles of obstacles in the Vermont mountains.. Or even the beast (about 13-14 miles)..
    I have at least two years till I have a chance of processing , so signing up for these sorts of events in the near-term help me stay motivated..

If anyone is doing it, and wants to meet up for some training, let me know.. I also have a team which we have about 7-8 ppl.
    Last edited by test2000; 05-19-2014 at 02:32 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dwm326 View Post
    First 6 mos. OTJ (Basically the academy): 100% of E-5 w/ dep BAH for 11201 (9 MetroTech): $3,258

2nd 6 mos. OTJ: 80% of E-5 w/ dep BAH for 11201: $2,606.40

3rd 6 mos. OTJ: 60% of E-5 w/ dep BAH for 11201: $1,954.80

4th 6 mos. OTJ: 40% of E-5 w/ dep BAH for 11201: $1,303.20

Remainder of apprenticeship (5th year OTJ) or depletion of benefits: 20% of E-5 w/ dep BAH for 11201: $651.60

According to my brother, he went through the academy in 2007, there will be a VA rep that comes and speaks to the vets of the class and hands out the paperwork that is submitted each month. There is a designated instructor that certifies the hours. He said there was a 2 month lag from the time of submission until he saw the $ in his account but it worked fine after that. I have 12 months left on my GI Bill so I'm definitely looking at this as a means to supplement the pay cut I'll take leaving the corporate world. That will be the best pay cut of my life!!!

Hope this helps.
    This was posted awhile back in regards to the 9/11 G.I bill. Can any of you veterans who recently got in confirm this? Or are any veterans on here who just got on the job recieving the post 9/11 bill? If so, when do you get the chance to request it and how long after submission of paperwork did you start receiving benefits?

Forum Member

What tier do new probies fall in that are not employees of the city? What does it offer? Any info would be greeat, thanks guys

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gianni1028 View Post
    What tier do new probies fall in that are not employees of the city? What does it offer? Any info would be greeat, thanks guys
    Tier 3 modified by 6. It's mostly the same as tier 3 (22.5 years till retirement, incentivized to stay till 25 for COLA, disability is only 44%) but I believe the major difference is how they calculate your final average salary (i.e. what your pension check will be). I believe tier 3 is based on the 3 best years, whereas 3 modified by 6 is based on the 5 best years.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Even though stairmaster isnt part of PT, it's still part of FST. And it's a lot harder than that CPAT version.
    Really? But im guessin with FST ur actually carrying real equipment up real stairs correct? And not an actual stairmaster?

The stair climbing portion of FST is a lot harder than the little 3 minute CPAT, but is it that much harder than a full 10 minutes on the stair machine? Basically what im asking is, are any of the stair climbing portions of FST more physically demanding than doing 10 minutes on a step machine with a 50lb vest on? (Just the stair climbing portion).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frankp88 View Post
    Also a Member of the PD and I have heard that we get it on the front and so heard that the time only counts on the back. Regardless means absolutely nothing to me can't wait for my run letter. I was wondering however since I can't get a straight answer from anyone in the pension dept what the actual time is for a gap in service between city agencies is. Please I know no bridges should be burned and that leaving a city job for another one before actually swearing in is complete lunacy but I want to resign the day after I pass my run and just burn up whatever time on the books I have left. I would literally mow lawns for cash until July 14th now that I am 100% dedicAted to becoming a probie and nothing else. I need to know how long of a gap in service you can have w out screwing up your pension if it's one day than obviously I'll stick it out but if it's a month than I'm enjoying my last couple of weeks before the rock instead of pulling ppl over at 430 in the mornjng
    Big mistake. Do not quit until the day you are appointed as a FF. There should be no period of a break in service, for one day technically you will be both a police officer and nyc firefighter, tht's exactly what I'm doing. The break in service also effects promtions to fire marshal and LT, it's in your best interest to stay until you are officially a FF

This was taken from a DCAS notice from 2008

FORMER POLICE SERVICE: Any member of the uniformed force of the Fire Department who was appointed on or prior to April 9, 2006, and who, immediately prior to his or her appointment to the position of Firefighter, has served as a member of the Police Force in the New York City Police Department (in accordance with Section 15 - 111a of the New York City Administrative Code), the New York City Housing Authority Police Department, or the New York City Transit Police Department (in accordance with Section 15 - 111.1 of the New York City Administrative Code), shall have such time counted as service in the eligible title(s) in the Fire Department in determining promotion eligibility and seniority credit, provided the pension fund contribution required by Section 15 - 111a of the New York City Administrative Code is made.
    EFFECTS OF A BREAK IN SERVICE: The period of a break in service will not be credited toward eligibility to take the examination, eligibility to be promoted, or in the computation of seniority credits. Additionally, any time served prior to a break in service of more than one year will not be credited for these purposes.
    Last edited by KingOfNeptune; 05-04-2014 at 10:17 PM.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    Score:101

Forum Member

Really? But im guessin with FST ur actually carrying real equipment up real stairs correct? And not an actual stairmaster?

The stair climbing portion of FST is a lot harder than the little 3 minute CPAT, but is it that much harder than a full 10 minutes on the stair machine? Basically what im asking is, are any of the stair climbing portions of FST more physically demanding than doing 10 minutes on a step machine with a 50lb vest on? (Just the stair climbing portion).
    You will be in gear with your mask on your back carrying up equipment. It wears on you, and that's just the first step of engine FST. I guess it's stamina more than anything, I'm just saying the stairs are not over after CPAT.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfNeptune View Post
    Big mistake. Do not quit until the day you are appointed as a FF. There should be no period of a break in service, for one day technically you will be both a police officer and nyc firefighter, tht's exactly what I'm doing. The break in service also effects promtions to fire marshal and LT, it's in your best interest to stay until you are officially a FF

This was taken from a DCAS notice from 2008

FORMER POLICE SERVICE: Any member of the uniformed force of the Fire Department who was appointed on or prior to April 9, 2006, and who, immediately prior to his or her appointment to the position of Firefighter, has served as a member of the Police Force in the New York City Police Department (in accordance with Section 15 - 111a of the New York City Administrative Code), the New York City Housing Authority Police Department, or the New York City Transit Police Department (in accordance with Section 15 - 111.1 of the New York City Administrative Code), shall have such time counted as service in the eligible title(s) in the Fire Department in determining promotion eligibility and seniority credit, provided the pension fund contribution required by Section 15 - 111a of the New York City Administrative Code is made.
    EFFECTS OF A BREAK IN SERVICE: The period of a break in service will not be credited toward eligibility to take the examination, eligibility to be promoted, or in the computation of seniority credits. Additionally, any time served prior to a break in service of more than one year will not be credited for these purposes.
    If I read this right are you saying that this would allow me to take the LTs exam sooner...I feel like i misread that portion can you elaborate lol

Forum Member

Yup I did read this wrong it states appointment prior to 2006 nvm lol

Forum Member

It's an old DCAS I found online, when I googled fdny lt exam, and yes I believe years count toward elbilge years require to take a promotional exam, but let's get OTJ before we start talking about promtions, lol, this isn't the nypd there are not too many 5 years wonders on the fdny
    FDNY Exam 2000
    Score:101

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by test2000 View Post
    Anybody here planning on doing the Spartan Ultra beast this Fall? It's like 26+ miles of obstacles in the Vermont mountains.. Or even the beast (about 13-14 miles)..
    I have at least two years till I have a chance of processing (6,xxxs), so signing up for these sorts of events in the near-term help me stay motivated..

If anyone is doing it, and wants to meet up for some training, let me know.. I also have a team which we have about 7-8 ppl.
    Bro you just depressed me with the two years. I was hoping if this three class thing Comes to fruition that it would be sooner.
    26 with miles seems like I would be weak and too skinny training for that.
    It would be cool if they had strength stuff mixed in with half that run.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Tier 3 modified by 6. It's mostly the same as tier 3 (22.5 years till retirement, incentivized to stay till 25 for COLA, disability is only 44%) but I believe the major difference is how they calculate your final average salary (i.e. what your pension check will be). I believe tier 3 is based on the 3 best years, whereas 3 modified by 6 is based on the 5 best years.
    Thanks for the info MM. Can you please briefly describe COLA? Im not familiar with the term lol

Forum Member

Would you happen to be from SI?

Forum Member

So what are everyones predictions for when packets are going out to everyone who scored 100,thats including me lol..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gianni1028 View Post
    Thanks for the info MM. Can you please briefly describe COLA? Im not familiar with the term lol
    Cost of Living Adjustment. If I remember right tier 3, and 3/6 people that stay till 25 years start getting it immediately after retirement. Your pension goes up a certain % each year based on the rate of inflation or something. Tier 2 doesn't get it, so it's basically the only good thing about the newer pension tiers, and a big deal if you manage to retire in your 40s or early 50s.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Cost of Living Adjustment. If I remember right tier 3, and 3/6 people that stay till 25 years start getting it immediately after retirement. Your pension goes up a certain % each year based on the rate of inflation or something. Tier 2 doesn't get it, so it's basically the only good thing about the newer pension tiers, and a big deal if you manage to retire in your 40s or early 50s.
    Ohh wow! Thats good to hear, it doesnt sound bad at all actually. Thanks a a lot for the info MM I appreciate it, stay safe!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Bro you just depressed me with the two years. I was hoping if this three class thing Comes to fruition that it would be sooner.
    26 with miles seems like I would be weak and too skinny training for that.
    It would be cool if they had strength stuff mixed in with half that run.
    Google spartan ultra... It's mixed with 30+ strength obstacles.

Thread Information