Like Tree11264Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Britches View Post
    Would you happen to be from SI?
    Nope far from it...Bronx baby
    4040clubBouncer likes this.

Forum Member

Hey does anyone know if I take a firefighter exam for another state that it will affect my chances in FDNY? For the FDNY Firefighter exam, do they ask you if you are applying to any other fire departments? Does this matter? Thanks guys

Forum Member

I know it's been asked here before, but what was recommendation on socks here. I could remember them being thermal socks. Also going into the July class would I need thermal socks for the first few months, could I get by in the warmer weather with regular socks ? I want to load up on the stuff I will need before the academy.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I know it's been asked here before, but what was recommendation on socks here. I could remember them being thermal socks. Also going into the July class would I need thermal socks for the first few months, could I get by in the warmer weather with regular socks ? I want to load up on the stuff I will need before the academy.
    I think MM had mentioned smart wool socks. Not sure if that is the brand name. I have yet to google it myself. I probably should since I'm looking at July as well lol
    sffdnyhopeful09 and JDNY13 like this.
    List#: 11xx
    Intake Interview: Oct 29, 2013
    CPAT: Nov 9, 2013
    Psych: Jan 25, 2014
    Med: Jan 29, 2014
    Run Letter: June 18, 2014
    Run Date: June 25, 2014
    Academy Start Date: July 14, 2014

Forum Member

Speaking from the viewpoint of military, I would HIGHLY recommend SmartWool brand socks. You can find them in any color to suit the needs of the academy.

They're not cheap, but they are definitely worth the money. I used them in both Iraq and Afghanistan in weather between 25* in northern Afghanistan to 115* in the Al Anbar province of Iraq.

They make a wide variety of socks, everything from athletic running socks, to thick work/hiking socks.

Hope this helps.
    sffdnyhopeful09, NycQ83 and JDNY13 like this.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Forum Member

Just make sure you don't get the winter ones or you're feet will be dying in them.

Forum Member

I think its been posted here (not sure if it was a link or not) but does anyone have the list of investigators and their emails?

If not, does anyone happen to have the investigator who recently got married? If so PM me please.

Thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    I think its been posted here (not sure if it was a link or not) but does anyone have the list of investigators and their emails?

If not, does anyone happen to have the investigator who recently got married? If so PM me please.

Thanks.
    Sent a PM, I think we have the same investigator.
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by billwill View Post
    Hey does anyone know if I take a firefighter exam for another state that it will affect my chances in FDNY? For the FDNY Firefighter exam, do they ask you if you are applying to any other fire departments? Does this matter? Thanks guys
    No the department doesn't care what you do as long as you meet the requirements when they come calling.

I had originally recommended smart wool socks before I went through the academy. They're good socks, but they might not be the best choice for the academy. You're allowed to wear whatever socks you want for PT, and in regular uniform you just need to have black socks on, but when wearing bunker gear you usually have the PT shorts underneath and the rubber boots you get in the academy chafe your legs like crazy. What most guys end up doing is getting knee high black socks, and just wearing them for everything.

Re: Cops in tier 3 coming to fire. You guys made me consider something I hadn't thought of before. Maybe you guys do get your time transferred up front, since you're already serving in tier 3, instead of converting from another pension tier. These sorts of questions would be best answered by Al Connelly, who is the deputy director of the Fire Pension Fund. He comes and speaks to the academy class twice during the academy to deal with paperwork and sort out people's situations.

Forum Member

Question about the online study guide and the probie manual. I know some stuff is missing from there, on the study guide it mentions chapter 16a, is that somewhere in he manual or is that some additional paperwork they didn't include ?
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Tier 3 modified by 6. It's mostly the same as tier 3 (22.5 years till retirement, incentivized to stay till 25 for COLA, disability is only 44%) but I believe the major difference is how they calculate your final average salary (i.e. what your pension check will be). I believe tier 3 is based on the 3 best years, whereas 3 modified by 6 is based on the 5 best years.
    also, if LODD your wife/family will only be covered i believe for only three years and o/t is not pensionable
    Last edited by fdnybk; 05-05-2014 at 05:33 PM.

Forum Member

Correct me if I am wrong but a few pages back someone said their investigator allowed them to use w2's and their tax returns as two seperate proofs for city residency? Did I misread that, or is it true you can use tax returns and w2's?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Tier 3 modified by 6. It's mostly the same as tier 3 (22.5 years till retirement, incentivized to stay till 25 for COLA, disability is only 44%) but I believe the major difference is how they calculate your final average salary (i.e. what your pension check will be). I believe tier 3 is based on the 3 best years, whereas 3 modified by 6 is based on the 5 best years.
    Is there any side by side comparison of the two. Honestly when the pension people and union came in the beginning of the year it was very brief. I'm not really sure of all the differences and I feel like that's something I should know.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Really? But im guessin with FST ur actually carrying real equipment up real stairs correct? And not an actual stairmaster?

The stair climbing portion of FST is a lot harder than the little 3 minute CPAT, but is it that much harder than a full 10 minutes on the stair machine? Basically what im asking is, are any of the stair climbing portions of FST more physically demanding than doing 10 minutes on a step machine with a 50lb vest on? (Just the stair climbing portion).
    50 lbs is less than what we carry on FST. 10 mins @ 50 lbs is good but that's more cardio then anything else. Not only are you huffin and puffin goin up the stairs at FST but you're also probably carrying closer to 100lbs so your legs feel nice and jello-y towards the end. And that's just the beginning....

Quote Originally Posted by billwill View Post
    No, doesn't effect the process at all. Until you make it to the rock and get your balls broken for it... then maybe it matters lol.

Question about the online study guide and the probie manual. I know some stuff is missing from there, on the study guide it mentions chapter 16a, is that somewhere in he manual or is that some additional paperwork they didn't include ?
    It may be that it's not included or updated. We run into that problem sometimes also and they usually have us edit our reading assignments. Make due with what you got. You don't know how beneficial that study guide will be to you...

As for the socks, The smart wool ones might be alright for running but in most cases (like MM said), you're gonna want the knee high socks. Those rubber boots are relentless. And you probably don't want to be soaking expensive socks every other day in engine classes. You don't always have time to change socks before PT also so I honestly wouldn't even bother. These are the ones I bought: http://www.modells.com/product/sof_s...rs&from=Search

I bought about 6 pairs. Wore them out to midterms (started getting holes in them) so I bought another 6 pairs for the second half. They've been good to me and they breathe well. I recommend them.

Forum Member

For the class that's entering the academy in July, does anyone know about how far down the list they went?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dwm326 View Post
    Speaking from the viewpoint of military, I would HIGHLY recommend SmartWool brand socks. You can find them in any color to suit the needs of the academy.

They're not cheap, but they are definitely worth the money. I used them in both Iraq and Afghanistan in weather between 25* in northern Afghanistan to 115* in the Al Anbar province of Iraq.

They make a wide variety of socks, everything from athletic running socks, to thick work/hiking socks.

Hope this helps.
    Regular knee high black socks. You want them up to the knee so the boot doesn't cut your leg. I had smartwool socks but they weren't log enough so they didn't help much

Forum Member

Would any of you guys OTJ or in Probie School now recommend throwing in one day of heavy lifting per week? I feel like I've neglected it, but it seems like something like FST might require both that heavy lifting strength/muscle endurance to keep moving.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Would any of you guys OTJ or in Probie School now recommend throwing in one day of heavy lifting per week? I feel like I've neglected it, but it seems like something like FST might require both that heavy lifting strength/muscle endurance to keep moving.
    With respect to this question - I'm curious how guys in/done with the academy feel about the physical preparation they did for it.

I.e are you satisfied with how you prepared? Anything specific you wish you did differently or feel you neglected in your training (more sprints/lifting/distance running/stairs etc).

I'm kind of approaching it like the CPAT manual suggests with respect to cardio - distance 3 days a week, intervals 2 days, lifting 5. I think this is a reasonable approach, but wouldn't mind hearing successes/mistakes people with academy experience feel they made with their training for it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fdnybk View Post
    also, if LODD your wife/family will only be covered i believe for only three years and o/t is not pensionable
    Is this for real? How'd they let that in to the contract?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by test2000 View Post
    that whole new tier is absolutely terrible.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by test2000 View Post
    It wasnt a contract.

Forum Member

For those of us around my list number who have not yet been called for Medicals and Psychs, I have sat down and looked at the days and kind of figured out when we would need to get our medical/psych letters by in order to be ready for July. Today is the 6th, I figure we have until Friday, May 23 (17 Days) or we are pretty much out. Here's how I figure, if we get the medical letters in the mail on the 23rd, they would give us about a 1 weeks notice, so they would schedule for Thursday the 29 and Friday the 30th. If we fail the stairs that day, like most guys do, I feel as though that they would legally HAVE to give us the 1 month to prepare for the next time just like they did for every other candidate. Most of us here wold show up the next week and take care of it, but if someone wanted to bring up the fact that other candidates had an advantage because they had more time to prepare, they would definitely have a case. So that 1 month would bring us to June 30th. With the runs expected to start early July (1st, 3rd, and 5th, projected) I feel that they would want all medicals done before they had us do the run. As far as the psychs are concerned, they could have us do them in between the 1st and 2nd medical. What do you guys think? Am I looking into it too much or does this seem accurate?
    Exam 2000
    Score 101
    List # 16XX
    CPAT- Passed
    Medical- Qualified
    Psych- Taken. No news = Good news?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrooklynKid View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but a few pages back someone said their investigator allowed them to use w2's and their tax returns as two seperate proofs for city residency? Did I misread that, or is it true you can use tax returns and w2's?
    You read it correctly. You can use both independently. The W2' count for points and your tax returns will give you even more points. Use them both.

Forum Member

Re: medical retake

Most guys opt to not take the fully 30 days. I don't know if it's changed but for 6019 I had to retake and I jumped rope and ran like crazy. Also ate very clean - no coffee and sugar. And passed on the second attempt. I believe that they've changed this and you can either pass the retake ie heart rate under the limit. Or just stay on for the full 8min which used to be the third option in the past. Now the third option is the current fourth option: the EKG and doctors note. This takes a while and if you are on the cusp will surely push you into the next class.

I have a feeling that if you are close to getting into July, the ones that will make it will be the ones that opt to retake the stairs immediately.

Also medicals require blood work turn around times. And the TB test

If they have medicals close to this class the list number might be deceptively higher because some candidates will be ready for hire but will have ran out of time.

Be prudent everyone. Stay on top of this. And pass the medical the first time around and avoid all this potential confusion all together.
    Last edited by 4040clubBouncer; 05-06-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    You read it correctly. You can use both independently. The W2' count for points and your tax returns will give you even more points. Use them both.
    So wouldn't one only need the two returns and a W2 to have enough proof then?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

No. You'd be missing one. Two w2s = 1 proof. 2 tax forms=1 proof

Thread Information