Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 832 of 1197 FirstFirst ... 332732782822829830831832833834835842882932 ... LastLast
Results 16,621 to 16,640 of 23924
Like Tree9374Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDNY13 View Post
    I had it done 2 years ago when I thought you couldn't wear contacts for the eye exam, best thing ever
    Same here. No better feeling knowing you dont need glasses or contacts. Its awesome lol

Forum Member

Here is a running template/interval workout some may be interested in.

http://www.specialtactics.com/intervaltraining.pdf

Hill/Stair sprints and shuttle runs are also good training tools.

As for training for the academy/FST/the actual jobs... Weighted carries, sled pushes/pulls and partner carries and bear crawls are great tools... in my opinion... I am simply trying to share info.

I know that actual sleds are expensive... However, I made my own with an old tire, a large eye bolt, a couple of nuts and washers, along with some webbing (or rope)... I put 50lbs inside the tire, but it will fit more, if you have it... You can also have someone sit on the tire, if available... It can be pulled on many surfaces, but asphalt seems to be the hardest (I usually pull it on an AstroTurf surface).

Another tool I was able to procure was an old length of hose, folded into a 'pack' to carry... However, if you have an old duffle bag... one can be made without much cost.... Take two heavy duty garbage bags, place one inside the other... Get some sand and place it inside the bags (50lbs play sand can be bought at Home Depot/Lowes for about $4-$5)... Then tie the top, tape it with duck tape above/below the knot... Place this into the duffle bag and now you have a 'pack' to carry on your shoulder... If you have rope, you can attach it and drag that around... Except on asphalt/concrete.

Also... I typically use these tools alone... Sometimes, if I am lucky, my girlfriend comes along and sits on the tire and allows me to carry her around... But if interested, anyone is welcome to come along and train... minus the carrying around part!
    Last edited by Minerva; 12-17-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Forum Member

Question does the medical form have to be completed before the info session? Or can you bring it the first day of your training that you sign up for?

Forum Member

In regards to LASIK there's two options. There is LASIK and PRK. If you can take off at least a week from work I'd recommend PRK. It is much safer.

LASIK: cut a flap, do laser, lay flap down but flap never actually heals and can be dislodged from impact and such which can cause infection and all kinds of other crap

PRK: much easier and safer procedure for you as well as for the doctor to perform. No flap is cut but the downside is during the first 2-3 days some people have found it painful, I didn't it was just itching annoyance because it's technically a scab healing just like a regular cut but you need a full week before you'll be able to see very well.

Both methods are practiced but PRK has a much longer and safer history. When I choose that my doctor though I was silly but he said he was very glad I did given my line of work and how much easier it would be for him to perform the procedure with a lot less of a risk for messing anything up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Corrections officers = perps with pistols. Inmates watching the inmates
    LMAO, this is a stereotype I will gladly go along with

Forum Member

fdnyman can you turn on your PM

Forum Member

Found an interesting documentary in the apple App Store about the Denver fire academy. Follows them going through their exercises, training and classroom stuff. Search "Ricky's Rib Shack". It was $5 but definitely worth it for an hour and a half movie. Worth watching if anyone is curious. Very educational and informative.
    Dannypanigale likes this.
    Score: 102
    List#: 11xx
    Intake Interview: Oct 29, 2013
    CPAT: Nov 9, 2013
    Psych: Jan 25, 2014
    Med: Jan 29, 2014
    Run Letter: June 18, 2014
    Run Date: June 25, 2014
    Academy Start Date: July 14, 2014

Forum Member

Yep, get ready to get your *** kicked. Only thing is I only wish you get to put your face piece, hood, and helmet on with no gloves. At the Rock, you will do that with gloves and they are yelling at you to hurry your *** up......lol

Forum Member

So anyone know anything about that "388" number when you can DCAS?

Forum Member

hey fellas, I spoke to my investigator yesterday and while she still wouldn't tell me anything specific about my case she said all of our "folders" have gone to the investigators superiors for review for sign off.

Forum Member

Not sure if you guys ever saw this page but I found this a while ago.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/pdf/pub...edals_2013.pdf

Scroll to page 26 and you'll see the investigators. I myself have talked to 3 of them.
    List # 2xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    hey fellas, I spoke to my investigator yesterday and while she still wouldn't tell me anything specific about my case she said all of our "folders" have gone to the investigators superiors for review for sign off.
    Hopefulff, good to hear from you again. So by going to review for sign off does that mean if you get the sign off youll get a run letter?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    Hopefulff, good to hear from you again. So by going to review for sign off does that mean if you get the sign off youll get a run letter?
    if you're within their hiring range for January, ya. When I met with my investigator in March she mentioned there was something like a review board that goes over all the cases once the investigators pass them off. Just my opinion based on no inside info, but I can't see this board trying to dig in to our cases if the investigator signed off on them unless maybe you've got some arrests on your record or something. My investigator would never tell me anything about my case. All I'd get is "if there's anything wrong/I need anything I'll contact you". So if you can trust that advice, if you haven't been contacted I'd assume you're all good.
    infolet333 likes this.

Forum Member

My investigator just have me the "if we need anything I'll call you" speech haha.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    My investigator just have me the "if we need anything I'll call you" speech haha.
    Same here. 7xx and my personal references have not yet received those form reference letters yet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jremNY View Post
    Same here. 7xx and my personal references have not yet received those form reference letters yet.
    Wow that makes me nervous that they are not gonna hit 800-900 as I hoped.

Forum Member

They know whose getting letters but they aren't gonna say. I dunno why I even bothered calling. Just bored I guess. Well start finding out in a week

Forum Member

For the class that just graduated, they stopped just a handful of list numbers before mine, and my contacts didn't get reference letters until just a couple months ago.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chadxmerch View Post
    For the class that just graduated, they stopped just a handful of list numbers before mine, and my contacts didn't get reference letters until just a couple months ago.
    What number are you chad?

Forum Member

under 350 and mine still haven't either. Everyone I've asked about it says it's no big deal.

Thread Information