Like Tree11352Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Ppl don't stress yourself over your body type if you've already passed the medical. Just be in as good of shape as possible. There is NO such thing as being ready for the academy. The strongest and most prepared of guys feel the same pain. It's not just an hour workout. It's so many things that you will have to experience on your own. Words can't explain but just get yourself in as best of shape without hurting yourself.

As far as sleep is concerned you will have many nights when you just go home and crash. I would open my book and next thing you know my alarm is going off. I live close enough so that gives me more time to eat, get things ready, and study compared to those who live in Staten Island.

Lastly, I can't believe tomorrow is Friday. Learned a lot this week in the field. I don't wanna go back to the Rock lol 3 weeks 3 weeks 3 weeks
    frankp88, dem7191 and JDNY13 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    my face and palm meet
    Post ur workout again. Or what page is it on?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Quick question about the strength test when you first go into the academy, I know it's 1.5 mile in under 12, 30 push ups, 30 sit ups in a min, and 4 pull but how much time do you have between each. I'm assuming it's one right after the other, you go from push up to position to sit ups immediately ?
    You have some time in between, yes. Maybe a few minutes. They're not all back to back if that's what you're concerned about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovemymask View Post
    Ppl don't stress yourself over your body type if you've already passed the medical. Just be in as good of shape as possible. There is NO such thing as being ready for the academy. The strongest and most prepared of guys feel the same pain. It's not just an hour workout. It's so many things that you will have to experience on your own. Words can't explain but just get yourself in as best of shape without hurting yourself.

As far as sleep is concerned you will have many nights when you just go home and crash. I would open my book and next thing you know my alarm is going off. I live close enough so that gives me more time to eat, get things ready, and study compared to those who live in Staten Island.

Lastly, I can't believe tomorrow is Friday. Learned a lot this week in the field. I don't wanna go back to the Rock lol 3 weeks 3 weeks 3 weeks
    As much as I would like to disagree with this bravo nasty, he's 100% correct.

There is every body type in this academy all with their own ups and downs. Big dudes murder FST but can't run. Little guys can run and PT but have trouble with FST. Not to mention all of the engine and truck evolutions you'll go through throughout the day. Don't worry about how everyone else is sculpted and worry about how you can better your self. This place will break you down no matter who you are, you can count on that.
    dem7191 and Ilovemymask like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Post ur workout again. Or what page is it on?
    They started on page 580

Forum Member

Question for the guys in the academy now or the ones who have recently graduated. What do guys with their cfr-d or emt cert do during the cfr-d classes in the academy? Do they still have to go thru it or pay for the course, etc? Thanks

Forum Member

C'mon list get into the 16-1700s for july. I'll take high 1500s at this point
    Medic2312 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    Question for the guys in the academy now or the ones who have recently graduated. What do guys with their cfr-d or emt cert do during the cfr-d classes in the academy? Do they still have to go thru it or pay for the course, etc? Thanks
    They go through it just like everyone else. You'll learn to love going to cfr, it's a day away from the rock. The only ones excluded were recycles who had passed it the previous class. And you still pay for it

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    They go through it just like everyone else. You'll learn to love going to cfr, it's a day away from the rock. The only ones excluded were recycles who had passed it the previous class. And you still pay for it
    Man that sucks. Apparently we didn't have to pay for it as EMS promotions. I never heard a thing about paying for it until someone mentioned that here.

Forum Member

#3 - Forcing Inward Opening Doors: Mike Perrone F: http://youtu.be/F98S_L5-gKo

#8 and #9 - Forcing Outward Opening Doors: Mike P: http://youtu.be/Jv4fkhQTuhA

Bringing some of those proby chapters to life. These and plenty of other great hands on videos by Mike Perrone from FDNY. Theres like over 50 hands on videos with this guy and they're found on youtube channel "DALE G PEKEL". Just subscribe to his youtube channel to see all of them. Watching the videos will help to get a much better understanding of the different FF tools and their uses as described in the proby manual. Definetely helping me out. And so far its all FDNY guys that i saw so this is DIRECTLY applicable.
    Gheech and grizzle like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Man that sucks. Apparently we didn't have to pay for it as EMS promotions. I never heard a thing about paying for it until someone mentioned that here.
    From my understanding everyone pays but it's not like they ask you they just deduct it from you check but I don't know for sure.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jky9xx View Post
    From my understanding everyone pays but it's not like they ask you they just deduct it from you check but I don't know for sure.
    I did not pay. I would know if I had a deduction coming out of my check for that. I think you're forced to pay if you're OC. Sucks, cause at that point you'd be better off getting trained to the EMT level if you're going to have to pay for it. At least EMT can get you a per diem gig somewhere. Nobody else wants you with just a CFR cert.

Forum Member

double post
    Last edited by Manhattan Medic; 05-09-2014 at 04:24 PM.

Forum Member

Thanks for posting those videos. Really informative. Much easier to visualize than just reading about it. Appreciate it.

Forum Member

You're completely right. Sucks even more for someone like me who is Ems and an EMT but I will have to pay since I'm going in off the OC list not the promo.

Forum Member

Now that I'm not working 3 jobs like a psycho I can train and live like a human being. Started a few weeks ago and this is my routine. Open to suggestions for more stuff. I stick to basics.

Mon and Thur - 1.5 mile run for time than another 2.5 miles of intervals, 1:00 full out sprint and 30 second walk. Immediately Followed by 10 minutes on stairmaster at approximately 80 steps/min. Immediately followed by pull ups till exhaustion 3 seconds up 3 seconds down, push ups till exhaustion at slow cadence repeat those two till I just can't do anymore. Than the same shoulder press and dips, then lateral raises and curls. I group the exercises into two and do them back to back with 30 seconds inbetween so for example 30 curls followed by 30 raises then 30 second break then repeat, till exhaustion.

Tue and fri- 1.5 mile run for time but after the 1.5 just keep running for a full 4 miles with 7:30-8min/mile pace. Stairmaster as above. Then I do lower body as described above like I'm doing upper. Workouts include squats and lunges, then sit-ups and planks, I NEED MORE LOWER BODY WORK OUTS, help me out here.

All days are done with 20lb dumbbells aside from body weight exercises.

Wed - 1.5 mile run for time and then the intervals. Stairmaster as above. Then full body workout with heavy weights ie bench press, squats, shoulder press, curls, etc etc. as well as a burpee, push up, squat circuit.

There's really no breaks within the routines so I generally completely
    My whole workout everyday within 1-1.5 hours. But I feel like I could be doing more on the lower body days. I figure if I do this every week till the academy I'll be in good shape for it. Any other suggestions?

Forum Member

I'll fully admit though I'm dead after these. The first time I did just the Monday and Tuesday it hurt just to sit on the toilet to take a dump haha

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    I don't think anyone pays, unless it comes out of our pay checks and I haven't even noticed. But yes, you have to sit there with us and basically tutor those who aren't any of the above. Consider it a day to study FD stuff.

Forum Member

I'll fully admit though I'm dead after these. The first time I did just the Monday and Tuesday it hurt just to sit on the toilet to take a dump haha
    Seems like a good workout. If you want to better simulate the academy, we run after PT not before it. Try doing your workout first then your cardio. Not sure if it'll effect how you feel but give it a shot.

Forum Member

Yea I've tried that because other people have told me that but I honestly feel it more the other way around. To me running is just running my muscles don't tire my lungs do before anything. But running first wears me out and makes the weights harder.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    I don't think anyone pays, unless it comes out of our pay checks and I haven't even noticed. But yes, you have to sit there with us and basically tutor those who aren't any of the above. Consider it a day to study FD stuff.
    1. You may not see the hit till after the academy (they won't make you pay till you've graduated and made it).

2. Were you EMS? I don't remember. If not, hopefully someone at your firehouse will show you how to set up your ESS account. Much easier to make sense of your paycheck when you can look at the detailed stub that's available online.

Yea I've tried that because other people have told me that but I honestly feel it more the other way around. To me running is just running my muscles don't tire my lungs do before anything. But running first wears me out and makes the weights harder.
    You don't want the weights to be harder. You could probably do a few more reps of each if you went at them fresh. If you were actually lifting at heavy weights I think it'd be dangerous to exhaust yourself before trying to lift.

Forum Member

You don't want the weights to be harder. You could probably do a few more reps of each if you went at them fresh. If you were actually lifting at heavy weights I think it'd be dangerous to exhaust yourself before trying to lift.
    This is very true. In the Army we always did PT before running. Thats the right way to go. Doing cardio first uses up too much of that glycogen stuffy, making strength training very hard to do afterwards. However doing strength first will have little to no effect on ur cardio session, allowing you to get the most out of both. The guy u responded too clearly already realizes that doing cardio first has a negative effect on his strength training afterwards. Why one would continue on that course idk..
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    How much sleep do people get in probie school? Like is it 5 hrs every night or can most manage to get a decent nights rest
    It depends,,,,, If you have a family with wife and kid then youre probably not getting much sleep,, maybe 4 -5 hours on a goodnight......if youre single and can get to bed by 9pm then you can get a solid 6-7 hours depending on how far away you live......the academy is mentally , physically, and emotionally ezhausting , even worse if you have a family to take care of

Forum Member

2. Were you EMS? I don't remember. If not, hopefully someone at your firehouse will show you how to set up your ESS account. Much easier to make sense of your paycheck when you can look at the detailed stub that's available online.

No, I came off of the OC. So far my only info comes from my pay stubs so that sounds great lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    No, I came off of the OC. So far my only info comes from my pay stubs so that sounds great lol
    I think we pay when we graduate but its something like 700 bucks and gets deducted at least that's what they said fort totten. Saw ya on tv browski lol. Pm me if you need the link

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    I think we pay when we graduate but its something like 700 bucks and gets deducted at least that's what they said fort totten. Saw ya on tv browski lol. Pm me if you need the link
    Ahh okay I see. It's a good thing we got such quality instructors for our money...... /sigh

Haha yeah man, I saw some of the links already. Thanks bro!

Thread Information