Like Tree11293Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

I know everyone thinks they do these incredibly intense workouts and they're just going to crush and feel like they're relaxing on the beach, but you won't.

I don't care who you are, unless your a former member of the circus who used to lift their 240lb brother over there head on a daily basis, it will be difficult.

No matter how many stairs you climb, or weights you lift, there's a reason you need a team to get the job done.

You aren't just showing up to do PT. That's an hour of your 10 hour day. A 10 hour day where walking is not permitted and everything you do short of a few classroom sessions is exhausting. Add that to blistering cold or the blazing summer sun. I don't care who you are, your body will be put to the test.
    NycQ83, dem7191, John246 and 1 others like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    I know everyone thinks they do these incredibly intense workouts and they're just going to crush and feel like they're relaxing on the beach, but you won't.

I don't care who you are, unless your a former member of the circus who used to lift their 240lb brother over there head on a daily basis, it will be difficult.

No matter how many stairs you climb, or weights you lift, there's a reason you need a team to get the job done.

You aren't just showing up to do PT. That's an hour of your 10 hour day. A 10 hour day where walking is not permitted and everything you do short of a few classroom sessions is exhausting. Add that to blistering cold or the blazing summer sun. I don't care who you are, your body will be put to the test.
    Well said man. No matter how physically fit you are you'll feel the pain of the Rock lol. In fact the top fst guy in my company and the guy who many think will win the fitness award have both been hurt and are nursing injuries. It's just grueling no matter what. The place is meant to break you down physically and mentally.

Forum Member

so just to recap this week, guys who are in the 1500's went to meet there investigators this week and received the impression that they will be getting a run letter in the mail for this July's class?

please correct me if I'm wrong because that is great news if its true
    FDNY Exam 2000

List #: 15XX

Intake: completed 2/14
    Medical: 3/14
    CPAT: 3/14
    Psych: 4/14
    Run: ?hopefully soon?

Forum Member

Hope you guys enjoyed your week in the field. We had a couple of good guys at my house. Keep your noses clean, 3 more weeks to go!
    Ilovemymask likes this.

Forum Member

The lack of sleep seems like it will take a hard hit on me. I am not good even getting what you guys would consider a normal amount.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    Well said man. No matter how physically fit you are you'll feel the pain of the Rock lol. In fact the top fst guy in my company and the guy who many think will win the fitness award have both been hurt and are nursing injuries. It's just grueling no matter what. The place is meant to break you down physically and mentally.
    How does the academy work with respect to injuries? I assume major injuries like broken bones will require you to defer to the next class

But what about relatively minor stuff that is actually crippling. Say for example an inflamed/pinched nerve that is causing sciatica - but the doctor says you just need to rest/ice for a week or two?

Forum Member

yea rumors are circulating that the 1500s will make the academy. still time to do a good 200 more medicals though...

on another note, i know with 6019 and 2043, in particular, they were calling guys a week or so into the academy to fill early drops. any idea if they plan on trying to call list numbers if this happens again?

i don't think they've been back filling classes like they used to but with promo and ph this might have been a trickier thing to do
    Exam 2000
    score 100
    #24xx

not an expert, just reading these forums since 2043

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by antmdog View Post
    How does the academy work with respect to injuries? I assume major injuries like broken bones will require you to defer to the next class

But what about relatively minor stuff that is actually crippling. Say for example an inflamed/pinched nerve that is causing sciatica - but the doctor says you just need to rest/ice for a week or two?
    A week and you'd have to recycle. People try not to go to medical because if the dr doesn't clear you in time you have to come back next class

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    yea rumors are circulating that the 1500s will make the academy. still time to do a good 200 more medicals though...

on another note, i know with 6019 and 2043, in particular, they were calling guys a week or so into the academy to fill early drops. any idea if they plan on trying to call list numbers if this happens again?

i don't think they've been back filling classes like they used to but with promo and ph this might have been a trickier thing to do
    We had early drops this class and they didn't backfill, I don't think they do that anymore
    4040clubBouncer likes this.

Forum Member

Here's a link for guys who was never in the military but would like an idea of how to adjust in a intense training environment.

http://touch.artofmanliness.com/all/2013-03-20-7-tips-for-successfully-completing-boot-camp-or-any-intense-training-experience-courtesy-of-wwii-marines#1

Forum Member

what are the top fitness guys numbers as far as run, push ups, pull ups etc? And is fst included for the fitness award? also, how many miles have you guys been running during an average week? thanks.

Forum Member

what are the top fitness guys numbers as far as run, push ups, pull ups etc? And is fst included for the fitness award? also, how many miles have you guys been running during an average week? thanks.

Forum Member

What's up with the new commissioner? I just read an article with him basically promising to try really hard at diversifying the department? Is he planning on doing anything drastic anyone knows about.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brk2012 View Post
    Fst is included, the exact numbers I have no clue but the run time will probably be somewhere in the 8min area for 1.5miles
    Miles each week I don't know, most runs at this point are in the 4-5mile area

Forum Member

It's true, the academy totally breaks your body down. Before the academy I was doing 30 straight burpees at a time, now I'm dying by number 5, hahaha.

Forum Member

I too would like to know how the new commissioner will affect our hiring process, the future of the dept, and diversity. Anyone care to speculate? When does he start?
    Exam 2000
    score 100
    #24xx

Forum Member

hey well said everyone.. to the guys in the academy, how has your body been changing since entering the academy? have you by any chance lost some weight?

I believe the academy is more about muscle endurance as opposed to strength.. I've been training for both, and these past few months my strength shot up a bit, im kind of expecting to lose weight and muscle possibly a good amount of strength as well because I feel like im not going to be able to hit the weights as much if at all with the busy academy schedule.. has anyone experienced this as well?

Forum Member

how many times do you eat while at the academy? sounds like a silly question but given the long hours do they have breakfast or dinner there? or do most guys just eat before they come and right after they get off?
    Exam 2000
    score 100
    #24xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    how many times do you eat while at the academy? sounds like a silly question but given the long hours do they have breakfast or dinner there? or do most guys just eat before they come and right after they get off?
    They usually cut the first class short so we can all sit for breakfast. Then later on in the day we all go in the cafeteria for dinner, which is usually something like steak
    mocon337 and JDNY13 like this.

Forum Member

They usually cut the first class short so we can all sit for breakfast. Then later on in the day we all go in the cafeteria for dinner, which is usually something like steak
    So it's safe to assume the smokehouse place we've heard so much about is a really good rib place at the Rock ?
    sffdnyhopeful09 likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    So it's safe to assume the smokehouse place we've heard so much about is a really good rib place at the Rock ?
    You finally figured it out!

Serious answer: lunch time is scheduled for but is not guaranteed. You need to bring your own food. Lots of high calorie snacks are good. I was literally eating as much as I could in the academy and I still lost weight.

Forum Member

Everyone I talked to, myself included lost an avg of 10lbs. Eating snacks and keeping yourself hydrated is key. I always ate snacks, and I still came home starving!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Lol, like medic said there's a time scheduled for chow but they don't have to give it to you. Or you can spend chow time working out not by choice

Forum Member

So you have to bring breakfast and dinner?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jky9xx View Post
    So you have to bring breakfast and dinner?
    Remember you get there so early that you can bring something to eat. Also, the only time you bring dinner is when you are at CFRD, the other option is ordering out. They have a menu that's passed around from a deli that you can order from.

Thread Information