Like Tree10421Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

To defer I believe you either need to do the run and then notify them. Or when you get a run letter I believe there are instructions to call them - at that point you might be able to. The issue with defer is you need a job offer to defer. You can't just postpone the process

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    Cool. Thank you MM. And just to clarify, by 0900, you actually mean 0800?
    On paper the tours start at 0900 and 1800, so they're referred to as such, but you know what the real deal is.

Deferment: I would call my investigator and ask them if I were you. Not that many people here would honestly know the process to do that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firehouse_Chick View Post
    just an fyi... if youre looking to go the ems route; for ems or the oc, you must not have reached age 29 by the date you sign up for the exam. no older than 28.
    You can join ems at any age. There's no restriction.

If they offer a promotional exam all you need is one day on the job and to be 29 or less. You will be able to accept the promotion after having 2 years on.

The Ems academy is a walk in the park, especially for emts. Medics have it hard book wise but that's it. If you think Ems academy is hard you don't stand a chance in the fire academy.

Forum Member

What's the physical training like in the ems academy?

Forum Member

There is basically none.

You run at the pace of the slowest person which for me was a walking pace. Started out doing a half mile and "worked up to" a mike and a half.

Then you do some push ups, sit ups, squats, planks, and some free weight stuff with 10 lb dumb bells but they coddle everyone so you are not doing a lot of them by any means.

And this isn't done everyday.

The only thing that can be a challenge I guess is when they have you lift your classmates up and down stairs on backboards, stair chairs, and scoops because you could end up with someone who does not know how to lift. And when that person can't they don't make you work out harder they just say "call fire"

Forum Member

Default Run dates for July class

Someone posted a short while back that they heard the run dates would be June 16th-18th. Anyone else hear anymore rumors about this also?

Forum Member

This was brought up a while back about reimbursements for tolls to the rock. It was said to pay cash and save receipts, but I would think most people have ezpass. So what happens in that case? Just print out your ezpass statements I guess???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MESAman View Post
    Someone posted a short while back that they heard the run dates would be June 16th-18th. Anyone else hear anymore rumors about this also?
    I was told by my investigator last month after I handed in 1 last document that was required, that my file was going upstairs for sign off and to expect a run letter the end of May early June for the run to be sometime in mid-June.
    test2000 and JDNY13 like this.

Forum Member

This was brought up a while back about reimbursements for tolls to the rock. It was said to pay cash and save receipts, but I would think most people have ezpass. So what happens in that case? Just print out your ezpass statements I guess???
    No, they will not accept that. Just gotta put your EZPass in the glove box, pay cash, and get a receipt every day. It was tedious but you get the money back eventually so whatever.

Forum Member

My mentor texted me last week saying the run would be June 16-18.

If that is the dates of the run, I'm guessing that first batch of run letters would go out on May 30th ? If I recall correctly the letters usually went out on a Friday two weeks before the run.
    test2000 likes this.

Forum Member

I'm getting two ice packs that wrap around the knees a couple of other random ice packs. Anyone else have recommendations on what to pick up to at least help a little bit with the physical rigors of the academy.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Yea I'd pick up a copy of Chicken Soup for the Probationary Fire-Fighters soul
    sffdnyhopeful09 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frankp88 View Post
    Yea I'd pick up a copy of Chicken Soup for the Probationary Fire-Fighters soul
    Man I'm just bored at work and looking for ways to kill time before I stop working all together and study the probie manual for the last two hours of the day lol.
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

I hear ya bro...most important part of that manual for the time being is learning what not to do on the first day as too not be that guy lol I'm talking about the first part w all the rules and expected conduct greetings etc

Forum Member

They've been emailing letters. Wouldn't be surprised if they went out later into June. But damn this next class is rapidly approaching.
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

Anyone else gonna be participating in this?

https://nycruns.com/races/?race=the-mccarren-5k

Forum Member

Emailed my investigator twice in the past month to see if they received my papers/if I need anything else, and no response. Should I be worried? Or is it since I realistically am processing for January and they're too busy with July people?
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Emailed my investigator twice in the past month to see if they received my papers/if I need anything else, and no response. Should I be worried? Or is it since I realistically am processing for January and they're too busy with July people?
    Could be that they're busy with the July people, did you try calling ? It seems every investigator has different means in which are best to contact them. I remember during CPAT practice someone was saying their investigator said don't call or e-mail I won't answer, text me lol.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firehopeful88 View Post
    Hey guys, I know that the last thing that anybody wants to do is defer an Academy class and I know a lot of guys in here are going to comment to this saying do whatever you have to do to get into julys class. My situation makes it nearly impossible for me to attend julys class. Im list #9xx so pretty much a shoe in for july.

If I NEED TO defer, how do I go about it? Will I have the option when I get the run letter? And is the only acceptable reason for deffering injury with doctors not upon healing? Can one simply defer or does a specific explanation as to why need to surface?

Thanks in advance for the replies. Best of luck to all of you
    OK so here is the process to defer.

1. You must let your investigator know.
    2. You must also let CID know that you do not intend on entering this next class. Email CID at: cid@fdny.nyc.gov
    3. You will be removed from the active list and sent a letter by DCAS informing you of that. That letter also has instructions on how to get recertified and put back on the list when you are ready to start again.

You can defer at any time in the process. Just realize you will not be considered for another class until you get recertified to the hiring list. That part can be a big pain.

1. Write a letter to DCAS that you wish to be recertified to the list.
    2. Hand deliver to DCAS and get a receipt.
    3. DCAS will send you a letter a month or so later stating that you are back on the list.
    4. Contact your investigator and email her a scanned copy of that letter. Sometimes DCAS will recertify you, but the FDNY system still shows you as being off the list so you won't get scheduled for anything. Once you send the letter to your investigator, FDNY can adjust their system.
    5. Hope that your investigator does not think she/he is wasting their time working on your package. So be really proactive and keep contacting them.

Try not to defer, but if you absolutely must then you do what you have to do. Good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin12345 View Post
    Thanks for the help. Not sure whats funny about my question. I went back and looked at my notes and found the I Owe You My Life is the mayday acronym, but still don't recall or have anything written down about dcwife70. I said I read through the whole manuel, not that I memorized or remember everything. So I would appreciate it if someone who knows could tell me what dcwife70 is, or where to find it in the proby manuel (i.e. what chapter). Thanks
    My fault. Misunderstood ur question. I didnt realize those were real acronyms. Jokes on my dumb*ss.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

So the runs are rumored to be the 16th-18th? That's earlier then usual, no?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    So the runs are rumored to be the 16th-18th? That's earlier then usual, no?
    That's the rumor

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    That's the rumor
    Yea I'm just wondering if that is normal distance before the class that they have the run or are they doing it earlier then they have the past?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    Yea I'm just wondering if that is normal distance before the class that they have the run or are they doing it earlier then they have the past?
    It seems earlier than the previous 3 classes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    It seems earlier than the previous 3 classes.
    yea thats what I was thinking . might be because they were scrambling at the last minute to fill the last class.

Thread Information