Like Tree11288Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #21201
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firehopeful88 View Post
    Am I the only person here that's checking my spam folder every 10 minutes? Lol
    Nope. Every 5 minutes for me though. And I cycle through refreshing this page, my regular email and the spam folder every time. I even almost did it through out my workout lol
    JDNY13 likes this.

  2. #21202
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    416

    Default

    LOL ive been trying to stay off here. Cause it makes me go nuts refreshing my email.

    Anyone else already planning to go to the bar with friends the night of the run?

  3. #21203
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    This would be the perfect time for them to send out one of their monthly newsletter emails.
    Yeah I was just thinking the same thing. I would absolutely lose it lol
    grizzle likes this.
    Exam #2000
    List #9xx
    Intake: 10/10/13
    Psych: 10/25/13
    Medical: 10/26/13
    Cpat:11/07/13
    Run: 6/18/14!!!!!

  4. #21204
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    If they are sending them out it's not going to be pretty late in the day. I feel like everyone I knew didn't get the email till after 5.

    Guys in the academy: When you get your assignment on Monday they will pass out the unit location chart to help you figure out where your house is. If you're an iPhone user I'd consider finally getting the FDNY app if you haven't already. It's worth the $8 and among its many features it has the addresses of all houses. You will have time to get together with the other probies assigned to your house (if there are any) and talk things over.

    Monday is a day I'd consider driving in on my own instead of carpooling. You're going to want to pick up a cake or whatever it is you're planning on getting and go straight to your firehouse. Everyone is still sir/ma'am until told otherwise. While there the officer will either give you your schedule information or tell you when to call back to find that stuff out. The guys will likely give you a copy of the calendar and a brief explanation of how it works. You'll likely be doing straight tours for at least a month so the calendar is pretty simple to figure out.

    Ask about expectations of you as a probie, expectations about when to show up for day/night tours, ask for a copy of the tool list and probie rules if they don't automatically give those to you. If they don't automatically do a walkthrough of the rig with you then ask to do that. You will be invited to stay for dinner. It's a good move if you can but it's definitely not required. Considering it's the day before graduation everybody understands you might have family stuff going on or whatever.

    Heading to the firehouse for the first time was pretty nerve-wracking but in retrospect it was quite a fun night. I'll be working Monday night and I'm looking forward to it… if we get anybody.

  5. #21205
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    This would be the perfect time for them to send out one of their monthly newsletter emails.
    That would take trolling to new levels. I would be too impressed with how well they played it to be mad lol.

  6. #21206
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    If they are sending them out it's not going to be pretty late in the day. I feel like everyone I knew didn't get the email till after 5.

    Guys in the academy: When you get your assignment on Monday they will pass out the unit location chart to help you figure out where your house is. If you're an iPhone user I'd consider finally getting the FDNY app if you haven't already. It's worth the $8 and among its many features it has the addresses of all houses. You will have time to get together with the other probies assigned to your house (if there are any) and talk things over.

    Monday is a day I'd consider driving in on my own instead of carpooling. You're going to want to pick up a cake or whatever it is you're planning on getting and go straight to your firehouse. Everyone is still sir/ma'am until told otherwise. While there the officer will either give you your schedule information or tell you when to call back to find that stuff out. The guys will likely give you a copy of the calendar and a brief explanation of how it works. You'll likely be doing straight tours for at least a month so the calendar is pretty simple to figure out.

    Ask about expectations of you as a probie, expectations about when to show up for day/night tours, ask for a copy of the tool list and probie rules if they don't automatically give those to you. If they don't automatically do a walkthrough of the rig with you then ask to do that. You will be invited to stay for dinner. It's a good move if you can but it's definitely not required. Considering it's the day before graduation everybody understands you might have family stuff going on or whatever.

    Heading to the firehouse for the first time was pretty nerve-wracking but in retrospect it was quite a fun night. I'll be working Monday night and I'm looking forward to it… if we get anybody.
    Wow that was awesome bro! Nice way of breaking things down, now I know what to expect more or less. When you first get on how many days a week do you work? I know it's 24hr shifts ,so I've been told,which is great!

  7. #21207
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    That would take trolling to new levels. I would be too impressed with how well they played it to be mad lol.
    http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3qjhk1
    List # 12XX

  8. #21208
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Herc_1812 View Post
    I know it's 24hr shifts ,so I've been told,which is great!
    I believe I said this before but the native schedule ("straight tours") IS NOT 24s. The gist of it is you do 2 day tours, then have 48 hours off, then 2 night tours, 72 hours off, then repeat.

    You do 24s by having a 24 partner, who is placed opposite you in the rotation. You swap 1 of your days for their nights (or vice versa) and you each get 24s. Your captain will decide how long you have to do straights before you can do 24s. More importantly you may not have anybody to partner up with.

    24s are not automatic and are treated as a privilege. From time to time throughout the year you will lose them for regular occurrences. They are nice, but I wouldn't really think about them right now. You have a while before you have to worry about doing 24s.

  9. #21209
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I believe I said this before but the native schedule ("straight tours") IS NOT 24s. The gist of it is you do 2 day tours, then have 48 hours off, then 2 night tours, 72 hours off, then repeat.

    You do 24s by having a 24 partner, who is placed opposite you in the rotation. You swap 1 of your days for their nights (or vice versa) and you each get 24s. Your captain will decide how long you have to do straights before you can do 24s. More importantly you may not have anybody to partner up with.

    24s are not automatic and are treated as a privilege. From time to time throughout the year you will lose them for regular occurrences. They are nice, but I wouldn't really think about them right now. You have a while before you have to worry about doing 24s.
    LOL. I know it's awhile before I do 24's. I was justtt was question. This forum is EXTREMELY informative, but it seems like some of the guys here think that by asking a question like I asked, we are automatically asking the wrong question. This is a forum, u can ask whatever it is you want. Thanks for the clarity on the 24s bruh

  10. #21210
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    155

    Default

    ......1702, continuously refreshing my email
    Exam: 2000
    List: 7xx
    Intake: 9/26
    Psych: 10/11
    Medical: 10/22
    Oral psych 11/04
    Cpat 11/04

  11. #21211
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    702

    Default

    I know some you guys would love to do 24s, but trust me, for a Probie, it's a lot. Do the straight tours, get used to the schedule, it will seem like you are getting tons of rest compared to the academy.
    Get used to the routine, find out when coffee should be made, replace stuff as needed (paper towels, tp, water on water cooler, printer paper). All these little things make you look like you trying to be on top of things. And just remember, someone is always watching, so do the right thing, and it will get noticed.

  12. #21212
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    I know some you guys would love to do 24s, but trust me, for a Probie, it's a lot. Do the straight tours, get used to the schedule, it will seem like you are getting tons of rest compared to the academy.
    Get used to the routine, find out when coffee should be made, replace stuff as needed (paper towels, tp, water on water cooler, printer paper). All these little things make you look like you trying to be on top of things. And just remember, someone is always watching, so do the right thing, and it will get noticed.
    Way to put it bro! Good luck with everything

  13. #21213
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    856

    Default

    So looks like my prediction for Friday afternoon run letters was wrong lol
    JDNY13 likes this.

  14. #21214
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Question for academy guys. Im a veteran and i want to know if you have a choice to be a squad leader or do they make you do it. Im 33 and its been 8 years since active duty so i kinda lost it ya know. Do you volunteer for squad position or are you "VolunTOLD"?
    If it's offered to you take it. I was in your boat and I had the position all throughout the academy. It's difficult and can be annoying at times but it pays off at the end. Take it.
    Spiderneck30 likes this.

  15. #21215
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    So looks like my prediction for Friday afternoon run letters was wrong lol
    Haha yea....damn you !!
    Exam: 2000
    List: 7xx
    Intake: 9/26
    Psych: 10/11
    Medical: 10/22
    Oral psych 11/04
    Cpat 11/04

  16. #21216
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    brooklyn
    Posts
    207

    Default

    I saw in the newest dept orders that one guy resigned from the rock effective today... how the hell do you make it this far and resign a week before it ends?

  17. #21217
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bkopie View Post
    I saw in the newest dept orders that one guy resigned from the rock effective today... how the hell do you make it this far and resign a week before it ends?
    Because it's not really a resignation by choice
    JDNY13 likes this.

  18. #21218
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    brooklyn
    Posts
    207

    Default

    That's what I figured, but I thought it might use a different word for that situation.

  19. #21219
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7

    Default

    [QUOTE=4040clubBouncer;1410328]When they strip you of credits dcas sends you a computer printout stating you were wrongly awarded credits and your new list number is XXXX.5

    And then they include the proviso: if you feel as if you received this letter in error please contact us at etc[/QUOTE

  20. #21220
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7

    Default

    [QUOTE=jj123;1410378]
    Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    When they strip you of credits dcas sends you a computer printout stating you were wrongly awarded credits and your new list number is XXXX.5

    And then they include the proviso: if you feel as if you received this letter in error please contact us at etc[/QUOTE

  21. #21221
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Do you have any idea if that's determined by the investigator or during final review?

  22. #21222
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jj123 View Post
    Do you have any idea if that's determined by the investigator or during final review?
    I would think before final review you would be stripped off either credits if you can't successfully produce proof.

  23. #21223
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    547

    Default

    they get rid of your credits before the final review.

    while i think they do verify your residency credits again during the final review, exam credits are taken care of in advance of this last step as they are used to determine your score, which is the responsibility of dcas.

    this is why, residency in particular, has been such an issue because DCAS required it for additional points but your CID investigator verified it -you see where one group could be more interested in the accuracy of these claims than the other, right?

    so thats why they change that requirement to be in advance of the exam as opposed to in years past where you could check the residency req box and 'decide to relocate to the city' after you see your score.

    not to say that residency discrepancies aren't uncovered during the final review, but those - like other exam additional points categories - are usually handled well in advance of that last step.

    unsure exactly then happens during this step, i believe your investigator walks in with your file and makes a case for you and their supervisor says yes or no
    Exam 2000
    score 100
    #24xx

    not an expert, just reading these forums since 2043

  24. #21224
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    22

    Default

    So excited, family day is finally here!! All the hardwork will be on display

  25. #21225
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Congrats on family day guys. I'm sure all your families are really really proud. Let us know if anyone posts any videos

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 5 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 5 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 05:52 AM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 09:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 01:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 04:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 12:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register