Like Tree11288Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firehopeful88 View Post
    Am I the only person here that's checking my spam folder every 10 minutes? Lol
    Nope. Every 5 minutes for me though. And I cycle through refreshing this page, my regular email and the spam folder every time. I even almost did it through out my workout lol
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

LOL ive been trying to stay off here. Cause it makes me go nuts refreshing my email.

Anyone else already planning to go to the bar with friends the night of the run?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    This would be the perfect time for them to send out one of their monthly newsletter emails.
    Yeah I was just thinking the same thing. I would absolutely lose it lol
    grizzle likes this.
    Exam #2000
    List #9xx
    Intake: 10/10/13
    Psych: 10/25/13
    Medical: 10/26/13
    Cpat:11/07/13
    Run: 6/18/14!!!!!

Forum Member

If they are sending them out it's not going to be pretty late in the day. I feel like everyone I knew didn't get the email till after 5.

Guys in the academy: When you get your assignment on Monday they will pass out the unit location chart to help you figure out where your house is. If you're an iPhone user I'd consider finally getting the FDNY app if you haven't already. It's worth the $8 and among its many features it has the addresses of all houses. You will have time to get together with the other probies assigned to your house (if there are any) and talk things over.

Monday is a day I'd consider driving in on my own instead of carpooling. You're going to want to pick up a cake or whatever it is you're planning on getting and go straight to your firehouse. Everyone is still sir/ma'am until told otherwise. While there the officer will either give you your schedule information or tell you when to call back to find that stuff out. The guys will likely give you a copy of the calendar and a brief explanation of how it works. You'll likely be doing straight tours for at least a month so the calendar is pretty simple to figure out.

Ask about expectations of you as a probie, expectations about when to show up for day/night tours, ask for a copy of the tool list and probie rules if they don't automatically give those to you. If they don't automatically do a walkthrough of the rig with you then ask to do that. You will be invited to stay for dinner. It's a good move if you can but it's definitely not required. Considering it's the day before graduation everybody understands you might have family stuff going on or whatever.

Heading to the firehouse for the first time was pretty nerve-wracking but in retrospect it was quite a fun night. I'll be working Monday night and I'm looking forward to it… if we get anybody.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    This would be the perfect time for them to send out one of their monthly newsletter emails.
    That would take trolling to new levels. I would be too impressed with how well they played it to be mad lol.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    If they are sending them out it's not going to be pretty late in the day. I feel like everyone I knew didn't get the email till after 5.

Guys in the academy: When you get your assignment on Monday they will pass out the unit location chart to help you figure out where your house is. If you're an iPhone user I'd consider finally getting the FDNY app if you haven't already. It's worth the $8 and among its many features it has the addresses of all houses. You will have time to get together with the other probies assigned to your house (if there are any) and talk things over.

Monday is a day I'd consider driving in on my own instead of carpooling. You're going to want to pick up a cake or whatever it is you're planning on getting and go straight to your firehouse. Everyone is still sir/ma'am until told otherwise. While there the officer will either give you your schedule information or tell you when to call back to find that stuff out. The guys will likely give you a copy of the calendar and a brief explanation of how it works. You'll likely be doing straight tours for at least a month so the calendar is pretty simple to figure out.

Ask about expectations of you as a probie, expectations about when to show up for day/night tours, ask for a copy of the tool list and probie rules if they don't automatically give those to you. If they don't automatically do a walkthrough of the rig with you then ask to do that. You will be invited to stay for dinner. It's a good move if you can but it's definitely not required. Considering it's the day before graduation everybody understands you might have family stuff going on or whatever.

Heading to the firehouse for the first time was pretty nerve-wracking but in retrospect it was quite a fun night. I'll be working Monday night and I'm looking forward to it… if we get anybody.
    Wow that was awesome bro! Nice way of breaking things down, now I know what to expect more or less. When you first get on how many days a week do you work? I know it's 24hr shifts ,so I've been told,which is great!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    That would take trolling to new levels. I would be too impressed with how well they played it to be mad lol.
    http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3qjhk1
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Herc_1812 View Post
    I know it's 24hr shifts ,so I've been told,which is great!
    I believe I said this before but the native schedule ("straight tours") IS NOT 24s. The gist of it is you do 2 day tours, then have 48 hours off, then 2 night tours, 72 hours off, then repeat.

You do 24s by having a 24 partner, who is placed opposite you in the rotation. You swap 1 of your days for their nights (or vice versa) and you each get 24s. Your captain will decide how long you have to do straights before you can do 24s. More importantly you may not have anybody to partner up with.

24s are not automatic and are treated as a privilege. From time to time throughout the year you will lose them for regular occurrences. They are nice, but I wouldn't really think about them right now. You have a while before you have to worry about doing 24s.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I believe I said this before but the native schedule ("straight tours") IS NOT 24s. The gist of it is you do 2 day tours, then have 48 hours off, then 2 night tours, 72 hours off, then repeat.

You do 24s by having a 24 partner, who is placed opposite you in the rotation. You swap 1 of your days for their nights (or vice versa) and you each get 24s. Your captain will decide how long you have to do straights before you can do 24s. More importantly you may not have anybody to partner up with.

24s are not automatic and are treated as a privilege. From time to time throughout the year you will lose them for regular occurrences. They are nice, but I wouldn't really think about them right now. You have a while before you have to worry about doing 24s.
    LOL. I know it's awhile before I do 24's. I was justtt was question. This forum is EXTREMELY informative, but it seems like some of the guys here think that by asking a question like I asked, we are automatically asking the wrong question. This is a forum, u can ask whatever it is you want. Thanks for the clarity on the 24s bruh

Forum Member

......1702, continuously refreshing my email
    Exam: 2000
    List: 7xx
    Intake: 9/26
    Psych: 10/11
    Medical: 10/22
    Oral psych 11/04
    Cpat 11/04

Forum Member

I know some you guys would love to do 24s, but trust me, for a Probie, it's a lot. Do the straight tours, get used to the schedule, it will seem like you are getting tons of rest compared to the academy.
    Get used to the routine, find out when coffee should be made, replace stuff as needed (paper towels, tp, water on water cooler, printer paper). All these little things make you look like you trying to be on top of things. And just remember, someone is always watching, so do the right thing, and it will get noticed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    I know some you guys would love to do 24s, but trust me, for a Probie, it's a lot. Do the straight tours, get used to the schedule, it will seem like you are getting tons of rest compared to the academy.
    Get used to the routine, find out when coffee should be made, replace stuff as needed (paper towels, tp, water on water cooler, printer paper). All these little things make you look like you trying to be on top of things. And just remember, someone is always watching, so do the right thing, and it will get noticed.
    Way to put it bro! Good luck with everything

Forum Member

So looks like my prediction for Friday afternoon run letters was wrong lol
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Question for academy guys. Im a veteran and i want to know if you have a choice to be a squad leader or do they make you do it. Im 33 and its been 8 years since active duty so i kinda lost it ya know. Do you volunteer for squad position or are you "VolunTOLD"?
    If it's offered to you take it. I was in your boat and I had the position all throughout the academy. It's difficult and can be annoying at times but it pays off at the end. Take it.
    Spiderneck30 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    So looks like my prediction for Friday afternoon run letters was wrong lol
    Haha yea....damn you !!
    Exam: 2000
    List: 7xx
    Intake: 9/26
    Psych: 10/11
    Medical: 10/22
    Oral psych 11/04
    Cpat 11/04

Forum Member

I saw in the newest dept orders that one guy resigned from the rock effective today... how the hell do you make it this far and resign a week before it ends?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bkopie View Post
    I saw in the newest dept orders that one guy resigned from the rock effective today... how the hell do you make it this far and resign a week before it ends?
    Because it's not really a resignation by choice
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

That's what I figured, but I thought it might use a different word for that situation.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=4040clubBouncer;1410328]When they strip you of credits dcas sends you a computer printout stating you were wrongly awarded credits and your new list number is XXXX.5

And then they include the proviso: if you feel as if you received this letter in error please contact us at etc[/QUOTE

Forum Member

[QUOTE=jj123;1410378]
    Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    When they strip you of credits dcas sends you a computer printout stating you were wrongly awarded credits and your new list number is XXXX.5

And then they include the proviso: if you feel as if you received this letter in error please contact us at etc[/QUOTE

Forum Member

Do you have any idea if that's determined by the investigator or during final review?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jj123 View Post
    Do you have any idea if that's determined by the investigator or during final review?
    I would think before final review you would be stripped off either credits if you can't successfully produce proof.

Forum Member

they get rid of your credits before the final review.

while i think they do verify your residency credits again during the final review, exam credits are taken care of in advance of this last step as they are used to determine your score, which is the responsibility of dcas.

this is why, residency in particular, has been such an issue because DCAS required it for additional points but your CID investigator verified it -you see where one group could be more interested in the accuracy of these claims than the other, right?

so thats why they change that requirement to be in advance of the exam as opposed to in years past where you could check the residency req box and 'decide to relocate to the city' after you see your score.

not to say that residency discrepancies aren't uncovered during the final review, but those - like other exam additional points categories - are usually handled well in advance of that last step.

unsure exactly then happens during this step, i believe your investigator walks in with your file and makes a case for you and their supervisor says yes or no
    Exam 2000
    score 100
    #24xx

not an expert, just reading these forums since 2043

Forum Member

So excited, family day is finally here!! All the hardwork will be on display

Forum Member

Congrats on family day guys. I'm sure all your families are really really proud. Let us know if anyone posts any videos

Thread Information