Like Tree9584Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    Your opinion is being stated more like fact. The psych test will most definitely, 100% be graded and weighted against the overall score of the written exam.
    Who told you that?

So your telling me during the Exam review they are gonna sit there and explain how your personality questions were right or wrong? I don't think so. The test was the test , the personality questions , in my experience, are separate and used for hiring purposes during the psych eval. I don't know where you heard that personality questions are graded.

Would you say that you are more successful then most of your friends?
    These are all odd questions about your self esteems etc, there is no right or wrong answer.
    Have you ever worked in construction?
    I said no to that. I don't think your gonna get 5 more points because you worked in construction. That's just silly

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    I was just going to say that no one knows how its going to be graded, so instead just wait on it. More important than seeing how many you get wrong right now is waiting to see how this thing will be graded, that's the most important factor.

+1

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Truckie 1 day View Post
    For those who also took the Philly test… any idea of how many points were deducted for messing up one personality question? Like if there were five in a category and you answered 4 out of 5 one way and misinterpreted one, would that possibly take you out of the runnings in Philly? Just thinking if they go that route, what have you guys seen happen? Also anyone familar with how they grade the Suffolk county cop test? Similar style judgement questions. Answered honestly and didn't fair so well. Just food for thought.
    15 pts per personality question. If you weren't the best student out of all your friends your doomed

Forum Member

Can't wait for discussion
    Taking DJ's advice and saving the discussion space for useful information, for now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bensonhurstlovesme View Post
    Who told you that?

So your telling me during the Exam review they are gonna sit there and explain how your personality questions were right or wrong? I don't think so. The test was the test , the personality questions , in my experience, are separate and used for hiring purposes during the psych eval. I don't know where you heard that personality questions are graded.

These are all odd questions about your self esteems etc, there is no right or wrong answer.
    I said no to that. I don't think your gonna get 5 more points because you worked in construction. That's just silly

Nobody suggested that they're going to let us review the personality questions. However I'd put my next paycheck on the fact that they will be factored into the grade.

Forum Member

Who told you that?

In the last test 6019, the personality section was worth 33% of the test. I would bet anything that it will be worth AT LEAST that much this time around as well. They even stressed as much at the Vulcan tutorials. That being said I doubt that they will review those during the sessions at all, they are what they are looking for and cant be argued like a math or logic question.

Forum Member

When you reviewed/protested 6019, were you able to review the personality questions?

Forum Member

15 pts per personality question. If you weren't the best student out of all your friends your doomed
    Whoa! Bensonhurst, Can you elaborate on that. You're saying if you messed up one question it could be -15 just like that? Is that Philly or Suffolk? You think that could be the case here in New York with all these court issues we have? Two wrong out of 81 and you almost fail the entire exam? Was that personality section your referring to timed as well?

Forum Member

Whoa! Bensonhurst, Can you elaborate on that. You're saying if you messed up one question it could be -15 just like that? Is that Philly or Suffolk? You think that could be the case here in New York with all these court issues we have? Two wrong out of 81 and you almost fail the entire exam? Was that personality section your referring to timed as well?
    I believe he was kidding....also the personality section has to be worth a good amount or else Washington and those fools wouldn't have been stressing it as hard. Also they stressed certain questions have to be answered a particular way so I understand you want to be consistent, but there were right personality questions as ridiculous as that sounds.

Forum Member

I would think the personality section would be graded. Without it the test was Only like 50 questions long

Forum Member

Well for out sake I hope you guys are wrong about the personality section being included in the grade. I'm not saying you guys are wrong at all , I'm just saying my experience with many civil service tests it was not the case. I don't think Our character should be judged solely on our opinions of our personality. Confidence is key, as is leadership in this job and if your unconfident and don't show honestly and leadership skills it's not for you in their eyes. I think it should just be based on the exam it self then when your called for your dept. psych then they can judge you. So like some of you are saying I guess we will find out soon enough

Forum Member

I guess you didn't catch the sarcasm lol. I was just breakin balls

This is how rumors start lol.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are no right and wrong answers to the personality portion of these tests.
    Only more-right and less-right.
    THAT is how they will finesse the numbers into what they want.

When Group A answered Strongly Agree
    And Group B answered Agree
    If they are looking to move more people on from Group B, then Agree will be more-right.
    That is where entering your race and SSN comes into play. It's still all numbers.

The personality portion is too subjective, therefore this test is ****e. We don't know all of the answers and you guys will never know either.
    We need right and wrong answers to effectively grade candidates.
    Unfortunately you are all part of the great Garufis experiment. And we (the job, the city and the citizens) are the unwitting benefactors to it.

If I'm wrong, I'll come back and say so, but I am more than positive that, this is how it will go down.
    Good luck.
    Hang tough.
    And remember to still not discuss the test here. Many military members who are signed up may not have taken it yet and will not for a while. As well as we are waiting to see the outcome of the VS' move to reschedule those who missed their test dates.
    Desire4theJob and DJ_Reverse like this.

Forum Member

I can see them sought of giving us two grades. One for the information based portion of the test and one for the personality based portion. One section will weigh more than the other, for arguments sake I'll use the personality based section for example. Say I scored 100 on the personality section and someone else did as well. Then they would use our score on the personality based section as the time breaker. Now say I scored 100 on the personality based section and a 95 on the information based section and someone score 95 on the personality section but 100 on the information based section, I would have the higher list number because the personality based section weighed more.

Forum Member

I guess you didn't catch the sarcasm lol. I was just breakin balls

This is how rumors start lol.
    Yeah I guess so… not really looking for sarcasm on here but mere aspirations of hope after all these years of waiting for this job. Really hoping it works out this time around, for all of us especially if your in my boat of retesting and not on the job after the lawsuit and court orders. Even though they are not sure of how they will grade the exam, the personality section is one of the sections that was specified as being graded, even during the exam itself. And of course other civil service jobs may have these same type of sections on their exams but this job isn't like those. It's the greatest in the world, I'm sure you know that though. Isn't that why you took the test?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post

If they are looking to move more people on from Group B, then Agree will be more-right.
    That is where entering your race and SSN comes into play. It's still all numbers.

The personality portion is too subjective, therefore this test is ****e. We don't know all of the answers and you guys will never know either.
    Unfortunately you are all part of the great Garufis experiment. And we (the job, the city and the citizens) are the unwitting benefactors to it.

If I'm wrong, I'll come back and say so, but I am more than positive that, this is how it will go down.
    Good luck.
    Hang tough.
    And remember to still not discuss the test here. Many military members who are signed up may not have taken it yet and will not for a while. As well as we are waiting to see the outcome of the VS' move to reschedule those who missed their test dates.

Most intelligent thing posted in many pages. And I include myself in that...

Forum Member

Slightly off topic but, has anyone heard anything new about the city's appeal to throw Judge Goofus off the case for loosing his impartialness? I know that only started back in Jan and will take a while but we've hardly heard anything from that clown in 4 months which is weird considering how much he likes to talk to the media.

Forum Member

You just described what a lot of us are fearful of, that this is not a hire the best and the brightest but hire those that fit the mold. Hence why all of us who believe in the former and not the latter need to be organized.

Good luck.
    Hang tough.
    Again, right on.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I can see them sought of giving us two grades. One for the information based portion of the test and one for the personality based portion. One section will weigh more than the other, for arguments sake I'll use the personality based section for example. Say I scored 100 on the personality section and someone else did as well. Then they would use our score on the personality based section as the time breaker. Now say I scored 100 on the personality based section and a 95 on the information based section and someone score 95 on the personality section but 100 on the information based section, I would have the higher list number because the personality based section weighed more.
    Don't try to speculate how they'll score it, wait to see how they'll score it and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Slightly off topic but, has anyone heard anything new about the city's appeal to throw Judge Goofus off the case for loosing his impartialness? I know that only started back in Jan and will take a while but we've hardly heard anything from that clown in 4 months which is weird considering how much he likes to talk to the media.
    Generally speaking, it has been all quiet on the Western Front with limited information. This could have numerous outcomes so I wouldn't bank on this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    from talking to a few guys who know a lot more about law than I do having him removed seems unlikely, but having some, or all, of his decisions reversed is not out of the question.

Forum Member

Hang tough.
    I'm interested as well to see how this will play out. Will they continue to administer the exam during the review period? If so, I would hope it's a different version of the exam than what we all took in the original testing period. Even if they do have us sign a document swearing to secrecy that we won't share answers we get from the review session, you know that doesn't mean a thing to some people.

Very good point with the military guys, they will have the opportunity to take it at any point when they return home. I don't know if there will ever be an appropriate time to publicly discuss these questions so we should probably play it safe and just not do it. Heck, who knows if we all even had the same version of the exam. Go to your review session to see how you did, then let the chips fall where Mr. Garufis thinks they should fall and hope you're one of the lucky ones. It's all you can do on any civil service exam anymore.
    Skavenger85 likes this.

Forum Member

FFbam. What word got bleeped in your post?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    FFbam. What word got bleeped in your post?
    LOL. I was wondering if someone would ask. What has the internets come to if you can't type s h i t e ?

Forum Member

Lol the e threw me off.

Forum Member

Does anyone remember when they said they were going to release results of the test? I could have sworn they said first or second week of May. Had a buddy ask and I couldn't tell him for sure, he thought it was going to be way latter than that.

Thread Information