Like Tree11242Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Ah ok I thought I remembered someone saying to bring breakfast too on here.

Maybe I won't need a bigger bag then after all because the one I bought should be able to fit all that since I won't need to carry all of that all day.

But yea with the eyes it's all personal preference that was just my reasoning. And with the no interest payment plans they have it's not too bad.

Forum Member

This may be a stupid question but since we're on the topic of LASIK, you can get by on the job wearing contacts ? I would have gotten LASIK and I still want to but it wasn't mandatory at the time of the medical.

Forum Member

List# 10xx (closer to 1100) got my run letter 6/19/2014 7am. Good luck everyone.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by adam_brooklyn View Post
    List# 10xx (closer to 1100) got my run letter 6/19/2014 7am. Good luck everyone.
    What time did you get the email?
    List#11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2000_Smith View Post
    What time did you get the email?
    Smith, are you towards the end of the 1100s like me (last quarter of 1100s, closer to 1200)? I assume you didn't get an email. To the guys who got their email today, where is your list number around? Trying to see what number they stopped at (for example, did the stop in the 1160s?)
    Score: 102
    List#: 11xx
    Intake Interview: Oct 29, 2013
    CPAT: Nov 9, 2013
    Psych: Jan 25, 2014
    Med: Jan 29, 2014
    Run Letter: June 18, 2014
    Run Date: June 25, 2014
    Academy Start Date: July 14, 2014

Forum Member

So for those of us, who have terrible eye sight, wearing contacts is pretty much out of the question? Correct? I dont know about contacts melting, but I would imagine heavy smoke could cause an issue with infections. So if you can only wear glasses than, can you wear your regular ones or are there special glasses that are made to be compatible with the breathing mask? Never even thought about there being an issue with glasses, but Jky9xx did bring up some good points.
    Exam 2000
    Score 101
    List # 18XX
    Intake 03/05/14
    Cpat 03/27/14 - Passed
    Medical 07/22/14
    Psychological 08/09/14

Forum Member

I just signed up but i have been on this forum religiously since around page 5 hundred. I want to thank everybody OTJ that has answered a lot of questions and given me and everybody else on this forum plenty of advice and insight. I got my run letter today finally around 12 noon. My list number is 84X. Im from the upper part of the bronx by bedford park... Got scheduled for the run on the 19th.

Forum Member

Does anyone know how many OC, PH and EMS graduating from the last class. The only way I can think of is matching the department order probies assignments to the names on each OC, Ph and OC list. This may give us an idea of why the list is moving so slow.

At best I think they will reach mid 1200s for the July class after people either fail or don't accept the job offer. If you passed the CPAT and medical then the run under 13 minutes is not that hard. I know there was a lot of military guys from 100s-730s who may have been in active duty and now are getting into the July class. Also there were EMS I think 50 that didn't reach 2 years for promotion and are now getting on the list. and lastly there were the PHs who were getting in based on the 3:5 ratio and there list wasn't exhausted yet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    Either the M or the LG all black under armour bag is perfect. All the guys who had them had no problems with their bags. Id def recommend not getting the one from quartermaster.
    I used the bag from the quartermaster and didn't have an issue. You'll easily be able to fit everything you need in it. Manuals, face piece, water bottles, snacks and socks for the most part. Also bring something to keep papers in that won't get wet. A garbage bag acting as a liner won't hurt either.

Lunch goes into a laundry bag at the start of the day.
    List # 2xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gheech View Post
    So for those of us, who have terrible eye sight, wearing contacts is pretty much out of the question? Correct? I dont know about contacts melting, but I would imagine heavy smoke could cause an issue with infections. So if you can only wear glasses than, can you wear your regular ones or are there special glasses that are made to be compatible with the breathing mask? Never even thought about there being an issue with glasses, but Jky9xx did bring up some good points.
    Scott makes special inserts which you can be mounted into the face piece but you will also need to have lenses made for this insert. You can not just throw any pair into the mask because the part that rests on your ears will break the seal making the mask useless.

I'm sure you could write it off on your taxes but as I said I don't know if the dept will cover any of that. You'd have to ask someone otj. I know I saw guys at the academy with glasses so I don't know what they did, you'd need to do research.

When I did it, and I always still see the option, it was interest free for 2 years and I think it was like $200/month give or take. I used TLC out by Roosevelt field mall, one of the top rated guys in the U.S. And couldn't be happier. You'll be surprised at just how much peripheral vision you gain that you'd never even realize because you don't have to turn your head all the way once you run out of lense.
    mscire91 likes this.

Forum Member

This bag? That's a huge logo to cover

http://m.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/...pid1256533-001

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I GOT MY LETTER

Holy ****, words can't describe how excited I am.
    If you don't mind me asking - are you below 1130?

My buddy in the 1120's didn't get his yet

Forum Member

Anyone figure that the #s called for January will go up since there will be very few, if any, PHs and EMS left? I'm starting to worry I might not make January.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by antmdog View Post
    If you don't mind me asking - are you below 1130?

My buddy in the 1120's didn't get his yet
    Yes below 1130
    Exam: 2000
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Anyone figure that the #s called for January will go up since there will be very few, if any, PHs and EMS left? I'm starting to worry I might not make January.
    If the list stops in the 1200s . u might be assed out bro . I'm in the same boat and it's looking funky . U will need 900 spots in order to have a shot at janaury . That's rough

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    Why does the quartermaster bag suck so much? Everyone advises against it. Why doesn't fdny get under armour or nike to make all their PT gear/bags?
    It's really not that bad. I had bought a different brand bag hearing that the quartermaster ones were horrible but ended up using the qm one anyway because everyone had one. And mine held up fine. I guess it's how you treat them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Topthrill View Post
    I used the bag from the quartermaster and didn't have an issue. You'll easily be able to fit everything you need in it. Manuals, face piece, water bottles, snacks and socks for the most part. Also bring something to keep papers in that won't get wet. A garbage bag acting as a liner won't hurt either.

Lunch goes into a laundry bag at the start of the day.
    Exactly what I was saying lol. I heard such horrible things about the bag but they are fine. They're completely black so no having to color a logo and they do the job. Pretty much everyone in my squad used it without any issues. Go with the qm one if it gets beat up, which I don't see how get a different one down the line. With the qm one you don't have to worry about the correct size or anything.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MESAman View Post
    Is there anyone who happens to be off this Friday morning/early afternoon? Want to meet up at the Rock to do a test run of the course we'll be on next week? ...that is, if anyone happens to know what the course is, because I don't. If so, PM me. Thanks!
    Bro it's 1.5 miles in 13min. You really don't need a test run because the course is a circle you can't make any wrong turns lol. If you're worried about the time then that 1st week of pt is going to hurt
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

Anyone else as shocked as me about how low the hiring ratio seems to have dropped? I knew that getting into July's class was a long shot but I still felt there was a shot. I thought at least 1350 or so and 1200 wasn't even reached. At this point, depending on how many defer or recycle to the next class I may not even make that. Not as demoralizing as having the 6019 class cancelled but damn this is definitely up there.

Forum Member

Got my email a little after noon.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sffdnyhopeful09 View Post
    Anyone else as shocked as me about how low the hiring ratio seems to have dropped? I knew that getting into July's class was a long shot but I still felt there was a shot. I thought at least 1350 or so and 1200 wasn't even reached. At this point, depending on how many defer or recycle to the next class I may not even make that. Not as demoralizing as having the 6019 class cancelled but damn this is definitely up there.
    Well not to create any false hope, but I do think there's a chance the list will go a bit higher.

If you remember, last January, the run letters for the 9th were sent out in waves. In other words, people got letters for the run on the 9th over a span of several days. Perhaps for this class, they will send out some more for the 19th over the next couple of days.

They went like an additional 150-200 list numbers from the first wave of run letters on the 9th to the last, however they only had 3 scheduled dates as opposed to the 4 we have now.

Obviously this is just speculation, they are possibly done with run letters for this class(or close to it) - just some food for thought.

Forum Member

Also remember they only sent out letter for the the first 3 dates, they still have to send out letters for the the 25th.
    Exam: 2000
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    Bro it's 1.5 miles in 13min. You really don't need a test run because the course is a circle you can't make any wrong turns lol. If you're worried about the time then that 1st week of pt is going to hurt
    No, not worried about time at all at this point. I just figured it would be good to get a feel for the trail you run on and maybe see where any inclines are. I didn't know it is just a big circle. Just figured I'd throw it out there in case anyone was interested, but if it's a circle then I guess it doesn't matter much to do it beforehand on second thought.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MESAman View Post
    No, not worried about time at all at this point. I just figured it would be good to get a feel for the trail you run on and maybe see where any inclines are. I didn't know it is just a big circle. Just figured I'd throw it out there in case anyone was interested, but if it's a circle then I guess it doesn't matter much on second thought.
    Yea I if I lived close I'd show you but it's really just a circle you're running in. Treat it like any other run. The pace is crazy slow. Like where guys will be walking at certain points.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    Yea I if I lived close I'd show you but it's really just a circle you're running in. Treat it like any other run. The pace is crazy slow. Like where guys will be walking at certain points.
    Ok cool. Thanks for the info dude. I appreciate it.

Thread Information