Like Tree10531Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Bro you just jinxed us all, I insist you go knock on wood now.

On another note, did any one check out the merit matters site. They mention the Exam 2000 meeting coming up. They also mention something about MADD T shirts, not sure if that is serious or not.
    Hope to see you there!

Forum Member

I have mine this friday at 8am....I believe that is the first date so will update everyone on what to expect.......

on a side note.....I find it extremely odd and I am very nervous that every PSI person was of minority decent...... Lets hope we dont get hit right in the @ss by the vulcans and judge for the second time around....

Equality for Everyone.....God have mercy on the judge, washington, coombs and all other vulcans who have tarnished the lives of so many........................

MembersZone Subscriber

New FDNY Civilian Jobs Posted Today

Interesting positions. All appear to be related to keeping candidates interested as well as helping/motivating candidates through the process.

FDNY

Community Coordinator - Candidate Events Coordinator
    05/22/2012

Community Coordinator - Communications and Social Media Coordinator
    05/22/2012

Community Coordinator - Firefighter Candidate Mentorship Coordinator
    05/22/2012

Community Coordinator - Community Outreach Coordinator
    05/22/2012

Community Coordinator - Attrition Mitigation Coordinator
    05/22/2012

Community Coordinator - Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) Training Coordinator
    05/22/2012

Forum Member

FDNY and DCAS Announce Record-Breaking Number of Minorities Took Firefighter Exam

so there was a date to reschedule AGAIN after the exam period closed on 4/20....it was 4/26. what a joke.

otherwise pretty optimistic about these results holding up in court.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I'm going Saturday, guess I'll find out then if the dream is still alive or dead.
    I heard prior to entry they are gonna take away your belt and shoe laces as well as any sharp objects you might use to harm your self.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 05-08-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Forum Member

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- City leaders announced that more than 42,000 people took the most recent firefighter exam between March and April, and that nearly half -- a record-breaking 19,260 -- were minorities.
    The FDNY had been under intense pressure to increase the minority presence within its ranks, and Fire Commissioner Salvatore J. Cassano is using the turnout numbers to show that his department is responding.
    "The extraordinary effort we made to reach people of color and women and interest them in the firefighter exam has been an unprecedented success," Cassano, a Staten Island resident, announced today at a press conference at a Manhattan firehouse. "We've used every tool at our disposal -- from recruitment events and tutorial sessions to phone banks and social media -- to communicate to people from all backgrounds about the great benefits and invaluable rewards this job offers."
    The minority turnout represents a 130 percent increase over the 2007 exam. City leaders reported today that more women took the test -- almost 2,000 -- than the total combined number of women (1,788) who took the test in 1999, 2002 and 2007.
    The city announced the following breakdown of numbers:
    8,186 Blacks, including 843 women, compared to 3,855 in 2007.
    9,582 Hispanics, compared to 4,062 in 2007
    1,314 Asians, compared to 464 in 2007
    1,365 Women who are people of color.
    The city spent $1 million on advertising in more than 60 community and ethnic newspapers, as well as radio ads on urban and Hispanic stations. In addition, 384,000 email alerts sent and 146,000 phone calls were made to interested applicants. More than 14,000 applicant questions were answered on social media.
    The Department of Citywide Administrative Services developed an online exam application process for this year's test. Agency Commissioner Edna Wells Handy told those at the firehouse today that the effort helped to boost the turnout for the exam.

Forum Member

Anybody else read the articles about the test results where Coombs is quoted the test isn't a success until there are more minorities actually on the job and not just taking the test. It's never enough for these ****ing fools man.

Forum Member

I haven't read that but it's not surprising. All along they've wanted quota hiring, their only goal is more black people on the job. We have to hope that this crooked judge either wakes up, or due to overwhelming facts has no choice but to accept how the exam results shake out. Every article I've read is praising the city for the results, so hopefully there is some public pressure too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I haven't read that but it's not surprising. All along they've wanted quota hiring, their only goal is more black people on the job. We have to hope that this crooked judge either wakes up, or due to overwhelming facts has no choice but to accept how the exam results shake out. Every article I've read is praising the city for the results, so hopefully there is some public pressure too.
    Yeah - a big thing almost every article does is list the efforts the City has made. It's one thing praising them, but it's great that the articles list the amount of time and money they've spent in recruitment. I'm keeping my fingers crossed either way...

Forum Member

"Well, maybe if we make them spend two million, we'll get eight times the amount of minorities to apply." I can see it now

Forum Member

I was watching fox 5 news this morning ,they said that there looking to hire 3,500 within the next 4 years ....I hoping this is true !!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Anybody else read the articles about the test results where Coombs is quoted the test isn't a success until there are more minorities actually on the job and not just taking the test. It's never enough for these ****ing fools man.

However, John Coombs, president of the Vulcan Society, said recruitment is not an issue.

“Just to have a lot of people take an exam doesn’t translate to those individuals becoming firefighters,” Coombs said.

Also says this immediately after:

Only 3,000 to 3,500 positions are expected to be filled in the department over the next four years.

Record-Breaking Number Of Minorities, Women Take FDNY Exam CBS New York

Also for the record, there were nothing but articles praising the city on their achievements after the 2007 exam as well. Not trying to necessarily be a pessimist here, just stating a fact.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tone 718 View Post
    I was watching fox 5 news this morning ,they said that there looking to hire 3,500 within the next 4 years ....I hoping this is true !!!
    i think they probly meant list #3500, but i hope they meant actual number of firefighters hired

Forum Member

positions is definitely not list number, but 3000-3500 jobs seems like an awful lot.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tone 718 View Post
    I think the mayor's recent budget proposal will speak volumes on that idea. He is trying once again to close 20 firehouses so if those stay open then that's a believable figure of hiring. If they close then this list will be sparingly used in my opinion. Also I think we should focus on the Judge approving the exam which I don't see happening until they set up a list and he can see how diverse that 1st class would likely be.

Forum Member

when does that proposal come out? I saw the official release the mayors office had last week, but there was no mention of fire at all. Funding for NYPD wasn't being decreased, for what it's worth.

Forum Member

If, if they would get around 3-3500 people on the job; what would the list number reach around? 10k plus?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFighterCanididate1 View Post
    If, if they would get around 3-3500 people on the job; what would the list number reach around? 10k plus?
    As is seems to go at about a 3.5-1 list number per hire ratio that would be a believable estimate. What isnt believable is 3,500 people going through the rock in 4 years. Thats about 438 people per class when the limit seems to be 300.

But yeah, thats not even worth thinking about till this idiot judge leaves this process alone. I remember 6 years ago when i thought id be on in no time.
    Last edited by River6019; 05-09-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Forum Member

when does that proposal come out? I saw the official release the mayors office had last week, but there was no mention of fire at all. Funding for NYPD wasn't being decreased, for what it's worth.
    I just got it from this - Mayor’s Budget Calls for Cuts to FDNY, Youth - Metropolis - WSJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    As is seems to go at about a 3.5-1 list number per hire ratio that would be a believable estimate. What isnt believable is 3,500 people going through the rock in 4 years. Thats about 438 people per class when the limit seems to be 300.
    The historical number has been around 3.5. They hired 225 people last class and called up to around list #886 i believe, which is about a 3.9 ratio. But its also worth noting that in the past the physical was conducted before the list number was established, so i expect that the hiring ratio should be slightly higher this time around considering that the our list will be established before those who can not pass the physical are weeded out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kd44 View Post
    The historical number has been around 3.5. They hired 225 people last class and called up to around list #886 i believe, which is about a 3.9 ratio. But its also worth noting that in the past the physical was conducted before the list number was established, so i expect that the hiring ratio should be slightly higher this time around considering that the our list will be established before those who can not pass the physical are weeded out.

The physical was given after list numbers came out for that test as well. The more significant variable this time around will be (or should I say "would be") EMS promos in my opinion. At least for the first few classes.
    Last edited by roadrunner09; 05-09-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    The physical was given after list numbers came out for that test as well. The more significant variable this time around will be (or should I say "would be") EMS promos in my opinion. At least for the first few classes.
    You're right on that one.

Forum Member

Default My rant

positions is definitely not list number, but 3000-3500 jobs seems like an awful lot.
    Out of 45,000 exam takers? Its a low percentage, no lottery odds here, but close to winning a raffle at a big party.
    At least 6,000 people got 105's, considering if the fdny grades off wrong or right answers and not race.

We better not hear any chit that if you were Japanese you get an extra 5 points.
    Statistic wise, due to a high volume of blacks living in lower socio economic areas they will get a lower grade than non African Americans.
    It's Just the way the cookie crumbles. Poorer education in public schools in those areas, lower quality of life issues.
    I agree the test was easy, but I have a feeling the results will be the same as the last exam. Just because you have a higher number of minorities taking the test doesn't nessiarly mean they will get on the top of the list. The odds are the same and the city fails again.
    I am guessing they will pull some bullchit such as how they want the fdny to reflect the census results of how diverse the city is and just point blank say that they are looking to hire more minorities. I mean let's be real here people, this whole thing has been about race since the last test was stuffed up that judges fat ***. They're looking for minorities and if your not one, you've just become one.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bensonhurstlovesme View Post
    At least 6,000 people got 105's, considering if the fdny grades off wrong or right answers and not race.

What magic did you conjure up to get this info?

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Lol, I agree that alot of people will get 100 on the first four portions of the exam. That's the reason why the personality Q's are going to be a big part of this exam. The personality Q's are gonna seperate fantasy from the ugly truth. I agree with the whole public school system bs you said and so does the judge that's one of the reasons why he considered the past exams to be biased.

Thread Information