Like Tree11343Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Herc_1812 View Post
    Does anybody know when the automated system when you call DCAS will be updated? It says last number appointed is 730, last number certified 1346. Been like that for quite some time now
    What is the phone number to that automated system?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dwm326 View Post
    I'm thinking that since the budget was approved for classes every 20 weeks, we should see a class beginning the first week of December. I know it was mentioned previously about the department keeping the money instead of sending through more classes, but I'm thinking from a cost-benefit side of things, it would be more expensive to continue to run up the overtime as opposed to shelling out the bucks to run academies more often.

What do you gents think?
    I agree with you, but with the 2 classes a year going in it is already starting to bring down the over time. Also in the budget again was the closing of 20 firehouses. The department usually gets around this by saving money in other places like the classes. However if OT doesn't drop fast enough I can see an early Dec class
    List#11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2000_Smith View Post
    I agree with you, but with the 2 classes a year going in it is already starting to bring down the over time. Also in the budget again was the closing of 20 firehouses. The department usually gets around this by saving money in other places like the classes. However if OT doesn't drop fast enough I can see an early Dec class

Closing of 20 firehouses was not in the budget this time... from the report:

FDNY’s Preliminary Fiscal 2015 Budget is $1.76 billion, approximately 91 percent for personal services (PS) spending and nine percent for other than personal services (OTPS). The Department’s (PS) Budget for Fiscal 2015 increases by $4.5 million when compared to the Adopted Budget, but drops by $91.5 million when compared the current budget for Fiscal 2014. This reduction is due to recognition of federal and state grants in the Fiscal 2014 Budget that have not yet been budgeted in Fiscal 2015. Significant changes to the Fire Department’s budget introduced since Fiscal 2014 adoption include the following:
    • Fire Company Elimination – Since Fiscal 2012 the Council has provided funding at adoption to reverse a proposed budget cut and prevent the closure of fire companies. In the current year budget, the Council added $43.7 million to maintain operations of 20 Fire Companies and restore 505 firefighter positions. This funding has been baselined in the Financial Plan.
    dem7191 likes this.

Forum Member

My bad, I'm still looking at the 2014 fiscal budget
    List#11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dwm326 View Post
    I'm thinking that since the budget was approved for classes every 20 weeks, we should see a class beginning the first week of December. I know it was mentioned previously about the department keeping the money instead of sending through more classes, but I'm thinking from a cost-benefit side of things, it would be more expensive to continue to run up the overtime as opposed to shelling out the bucks to run academies more often.

What do you gents think?
    I believe someone else already charted out how classes would play out if they were done every 20 weeks instead of the way they've been doing it now. Instead of 2 a year it ends up being like 2.5 classes a year and only adds another one to the total of how many can be squeezed in off of list #2000.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000_Smith View Post
    This isn't quite true. They've been heavily promoting, filling the officer ranks and taking heavily out of the FF ranks because they know that they will fill up in the next 2-3 years. Since right around when my class entered the fire academy they've promoted approx 450 FFs to Lt, meaning my class and the 2nd have really just filled the spots vacated by promotions. Regardless none of this really matters for everyone waiting. They are going to continue to hire at at least the rate they've been going at right through to when the list expires.
    bklynmike91 likes this.

Forum Member

This isn't quite true. They've been heavily promoting, filling the officer ranks and taking heavily out of the FF ranks because they know that they will fill up in the next 2-3 years. Since right around when my class entered the fire academy they've promoted approx 450 FFs to Lt, meaning my class and the 2nd have really just filled the spots vacated by promotions. Regardless none of this really matters for everyone waiting. They are going to continue to hire at at least the rate they've been going at right through to when the list expires.[/QUOTE]

That's true, I didn't take into consideration the promotions. I just figured the hiring was outpacing the retiring, based on overall manpower.
    List#11xx

Forum Member

Bag question, for the guys that have been through the academy, I know the bag should be black. Do you think the white zipper on this one would be a no no?

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...pid1256545-001
    2043 - 57XX
    6019 - 32XX
    2000 - 7XX

Forum Member

So a message that was passed along to me is as follows. Take it as what ever you may. This from someone OTJ.

These investigators screwed themselves so they have to like start over and faster with the people they have. They tried to put all minorities in this class but didn't have enough so they had to make a secondary list for paperwork.

The investigators are an out source this time cause they were telling white kids to bring say your drivers license from a specific
    Year and when someone I know brought it god only knows why he had it still it was from
    2010. His investigator wouldn't accept It without a registration and insurance card for that year and DMV said they couldn't give a registration from 5 years ago with vin number. It was all just a mess so they had people who literally qualified and they were turning all there paperwork away.

And being they didn't even have 100 people to go in cause it's easy to go down to welfare and get a statement then to get a
    Cell phone bill from 5 years ago

So they made the secondary documentation list. I believe that came straight from dcas who hired this company to collect the documentation. This whole lawsuit thing took all power of hiring. Once or if he goes into the academy then fdny takes Over.

Forum Member

BTW this guy did get his run letter.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EKFCASPER View Post
    So a message that was passed along to me is as follows. Take it as what ever you may. This from someone OTJ.

These investigators screwed themselves so they have to like start over and faster with the people they have. They tried to put all minorities in this class but didn't have enough so they had to make a secondary list for paperwork.

The investigators are an out source this time cause they were telling white kids to bring say your drivers license from a specific
    Year and when someone I know brought it god only knows why he had it still it was from
    2010. His investigator wouldn't accept It without a registration and insurance card for that year and DMV said they couldn't give a registration from 5 years ago with vin number. It was all just a mess so they had people who literally qualified and they were turning all there paperwork away.

And being they didn't even have 100 people to go in cause it's easy to go down to welfare and get a statement then to get a

So they made the secondary documentation list. I believe that came straight from dcas who hired this company to collect the documentation. This whole lawsuit thing took all power of hiring. Once or if he goes into the academy then fdny takes Over.
    There should be an outside auditor monitoring that these investigators aren't following someone's political agenda... Perhaps a group like merit matters should pursue??

Forum Member

Not sure, just relaying the message. Could be why it seems to be a lot less numbers being called for runs at first. Maybe struggling to fill with guys who are minorities with not all the requirements in order.

Forum Member

Just so you know your source is full of crap. I'm as pasty and pale as they come and I didn't have any of these problems as a matter of fact my investigation process was really smooth and now this pasty white boy has a run letter. And the whole not accepting DMV docs and insurance docs, I think spideneck that post here had that problem where his investigator wouldn't accept those documents. Turns out those docs were fine but his investigator didn't know that and he missed last class and I'm pretty sure he is African American. So your source is full of crap. It's just a matter of some investigators are on the ball and some aren't.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

And if I believed every rumor that guys in the know told me while pursuing this job I never would have bothered. I had people tell me that they weren't going to hire white guys, I had someone tell me don't even bother taking the exam because only EMT's from the promo exam are going to get on. Only military, emt's, and minorities will make the next cut. And you know what, none of it was true. Really, enough with the stupid rumors that aren't based in reality.
    Spiderneck30 and Medic2312 like this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Welfare? pretty good assumption you have there on minorities. <sarcasm>
    Medic2312 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    And if I believed every rumor that guys in the know told me while pursuing this job I never would have bothered. I had people tell me that they weren't going to hire white guys, I had someone tell me don't even bother taking the exam because only EMT's from the promo exam are going to get on. Only military, emt's, and minorities will make the next cut. And you know what, none of it was true. Really, enough with the stupid rumors that aren't based in reality.
    Then what would this forum be if noone shared rumors they were hearing? lol. You gotta take everything on this forum with a grain of salt. For sure nothing said on here is gospel.

Forum Member

Just so you know your source is full of crap. I'm as pasty and pale as they come and I didn't have any of these problems as a matter of fact my investigation process was really smooth and now this pasty white boy has a run letter. And the whole not accepting DMV docs and insurance docs, I think spideneck that post here had that problem where his investigator wouldn't accept those documents. Turns out those docs were fine but his investigator didn't know that and he missed last class and I'm pretty sure he is African American. So your source is full of crap. It's just a matter of some investigators are on the ball and some aren't.
    I originally posted to take it as you may. FYI just because your process was smooth doesn't mean that wasn't what happen. Also the guy who is referred to did finally get a run letter.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireDragonNY View Post
    Thank you for stepping up. Seems it is easy to place blame and even easier to let simple prejudices rule our thoughts. I (mixed) had no issues with my investigation. When something else was needed I went out and got it. If I did not have something then I found out what could be accepted in liu of that and made it happen. So all done and looking forward to janurarys academy. And oh yeah, good luck to all those who have their run coming up. Almost at your goal. Keep pushing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireDragonNY View Post
    Just relaying what I was told. Not my POV.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thirdtimesacharm View Post
    Bag question, for the guys that have been through the academy, I know the bag should be black. Do you think the white zipper on this one would be a no no?

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...pid1256545-001
    Depends how easy it is to color in black. I would see what other bag options there are before buying this one, just my personal opinion.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by k20dc2 View Post
    I disagree . That 99 May not be enough and u might be assed out . Every point counts . **** a number in Ur social makes a difference in terms of spots on the list with other candidates who scored the same as u . Every little bit counts . If the list stays in the 1200s for this next class .the 99s may not be so fortunate. Fruit for thought .
    I'm probably more assed out with the list being sorted by SSN than with the 99. 99s goe from 3300-4700.

Forum Member

Not sure, just relaying the message. Could be why it seems to be a lot less numbers being called for runs at first. Maybe struggling to fill with guys who are minorities with not all the requirements in order.
    This guy EKFCASPER is trying real hard to make someone on here go on an anti minority rant. Disregard the entire post.
    JDNY13 and bklynmike91 like this.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Exactly. I missed last class becuz of my investigator not accepting/knowing about certain documents, and im black as sh*t lol
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Hey all,
    Just if anyone was wondering, the eye situation Im getting Lasik done next week, im pumped. I decided its the best option I want this job and Im not going to let eyes screw it up... I have a great doctor from Brooklyn and the surgery is done in Manhattan, If anyone wants the info PM me.. I was pretty shocked the price wasnt too steep either. Ill let you know how my experience goes after its done next week.
    JDNY13 likes this.
    FDNY 2000- Score 100
    List-3XXX

Forum Member

I try not to think about this, but its a guarantee that over the next 25 years there are gonna be lots of guys looking at ppl like me saying "He was probably a PH" or "He only got on becuz of AA" and crap like that. I dont plan on going anywhere near the racist *** Vulcans. But im hopin the racial situation isnt so bad that i may not have a choice. I told one of the Vulcan representatives at the Rock that i wont join the Vulcans becuz i dont wanna get mixed with any race related crap, i just want to do the job. He sorta laughed at me and said "When u get on and see how guys are, youll change your mind". Im just hoping hes wrong man. I mean perhaps the old school black guys had to naturally deal with racial crap comin from the old school white guys, and perhaps the department is truly changing. But with alot of the ****ed up racial comments ive seen on here over the past year from young white guys tryin to get on, i dont know.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    I try not to think about this, but its a guarantee that over the next 25 years there are gonna be lots of guys looking at ppl like me saying "He was probably a PH" or "He only got on becuz of AA" and crap like that. I dont plan on going anywhere near the racist *** Vulcans. But im hopin the racial situation isnt so bad that i may not have a choice. I told one of the Vulcan representatives at the Rock that i wont join the Vulcans becuz i dont wanna get mixed with any race related crap, i just want to do the job. He sorta laughed at me and said "When u get on and see how guys are, youll change your mind". Im just hoping hes wrong man. I mean perhaps the old school black guys had to naturally deal with racial crap comin from the old school white guys, and perhaps the department is truly changing. But with alot of the ****ed up racial comments ive seen on here over the past year from young white guys tryin to get on, i dont know.
    Hopefully I get a run letter for this class because I would consider it an honor to work with you. Race should have no bearing what so ever on the job. In the end its going to be the guys you train and work with who have your back in life or death situations. I hope that when I get to that point in time I have someone as dedicated as you with me.
    List#11xx

Thread Information