Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 885 of 1206 FirstFirst ... 385785835875882883884885886887888895935985 ... LastLast
Results 17,681 to 17,700 of 24110
Like Tree9400Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Mtk you left after you got that letter? Lol, you got lucky bro. We were there a lot longer than that. They didn't take attendance or anything though. Not sure how you snuck past the DI's

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Hey man, thanks for the info..I was trying to think to myself, on the 6019 that the FD was like 600 or so under headcount, it would only make sense to try to keep the numbers close since its cheaper to not have to pay overtime to everyone, and if it took 886 for a class of 300? that means that if this list is active for 4 years and they do 300 a year that is about 3000 on the list give or take right? and hopefully, once Bloomburg gets voted out of office the new mayor will have a better grasp that you can't sacrifice public safety.

On a different note..does anyone know about how the veterans/disabled points work? the announcement doesn't say anything about having to live in the NYC area, just that you have to meet the criteria set by the state of new york..right? or did I totally read that wrong, because if I remember correctly, I clicked on the link from the 6019 exam and the scores posted some with vet status did not have residency...
    I don't think the new mayor will have a grasp on not sacrificing public safety. My expectations on this new mayor are not good to say the least

Forum Member

How did the run go? did everyone pass? Congratulations by the way to everyone here who did pass.

I tried to ask this yesterday but it mysteriously got deleted so i'll ask again lol.

I've been reading the probie manuals, hoping to get a better understanding of the material before getting into the academy, and other than being able to say "I remember reading bout this" if Im in acadey one day, Im not exactly getting this stuff as much as I hoped to. I don't feel the manuals are very specific or detailed. I was reading a chapter about knots, and I can't learn how to tie these different knots from the way the book was explaining it and with the cheap pictures. Thankfully im sure I can get a video online.

I don't have an FD background, never knew anyone personally who was a fire fighter. My mentor is a good guy, not saying anything negative about him, but he prefers to text, and when I do try to call him, he never answers and always returns my phone call at a later time when im at work and my phone is not permitted.

Do you guys here have a fire fighter backround or is everyone starting out not knowing much like me? And to those of you who have passed the academy, is this book work a lot easier to comprehend after classroom instruction?

Im not a dumb guy, I always had good grades in highschool/college. I'm just not comprehending this stuff from reading it in the probie manual as much as I thought I would.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    I don't feel the manuals are very specific or detailed. I was reading a chapter about knots, and I can't learn how to tie these different knots from the way the book was explaining it and with the cheap pictures.
    This is why I've said in the past don't focus so much on the hands on stuff in the books. The books are a bit lacking in explanation of stuff like that. I also wouldn't try to learn those knots based on videos online. They're going to want you to tie them the specific way that they show you in the academy. Focus on the big picture stuff like what does an engine do? What does a truck do? What is a taxpayer? Why are taxpayers dangerous for us?
    John246 likes this.

Forum Member

About those 30 questions, did they want them on admin day or first day at the academy? Plus congrats to everyone passing the run!

Forum Member

[QUOTE=What is a taxpayer? Why are taxpayers dangerous for us?[/QUOTE]

Is there a FF synonym for taxpayer?

Forum Member

Just got off the phone with my investigator about a paperwork issue , very low 6xx, was told they are in the 500's and it is going to be very close if I make it for this academy
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Is there a FF synonym for taxpayer?
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/un...scriptions.pdf

Page 36 in that book.
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

Passed the run!!! Beyond excited but can't celebrate because now is where it begins! Off to go read and study. Congrats others and good luck to those still in the process. I'll see some of y'all soon!!!
    River6019 and JDNY13 like this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 104
    List: 2XX

Forum Member

The 30 questions are for the first day at the academy, not the 17th. Idk what th assigned reading is though we are supposed to make them from. Cycle 1 or just anything out of the manual anywhere?

Forum Member

Congrats to everybody that passed the run today.

I passed it in about 9:12 woohoo.

I got a lot of reading to do holy crap lol. But so grateful to be able to be finally in.

I cant stop freakin smiling lol.
    ffbam24, River6019, dawk34 and 1 others like this.
    FDNY exam 2000 score: 104

list number: 2xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Ahhh see ya learn something every day! Thx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by infolet333 View Post
    Congrats to everybody that passed the run today.

I passed it in about 9:12 woohoo.

I got a lot of reading to do holy crap lol. But so grateful to be able to be finally in.

I cant stop freakin smiling lol.

9:12 HA cmon now

Forum Member

Anyone get any notices in the mail today ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DC33017 View Post
    9:12 HA cmon now
    My name is Forrest...Forrest Gump
    grok350 and coldblood92 like this.

Forum Member

I'm pretty sure everyone who was there today passed. I spoke with a re-cycle and he said that there were roughly around 25 people coming back from the previous class. If I could have done one thing different today it would have been bringing something to snack on while we were there today, I was so hungry by the time I left.

Great job, everyone.

Mtk123, if you are prior military, you may have been the dude the instructor was looking for. We were supposed to stick around after we got our books.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    Mtk you left after you got that letter? Lol, you got lucky bro. We were there a lot longer than that. They didn't take attendance or anything though. Not sure how you snuck past the DI's
    Quote Originally Posted by chadxmerch View Post
    Mtk123, if you are prior military, you may have been the dude the instructor was looking for. We were supposed to stick around after we got our books.

Nah man I wasn't prior military so hopefully they didn't notice. sh.t man! I had no idea! I literally got my manuals, got my stuff from the cafeteria (car keys) and then walked back through the entrance to the auditorium. It wasn't like I was trying to sneak out. I strolled by like 20 other firemen too. Damn man now I'm nervous they'll bring it up on the 17th .... What did you guys end up doing after that?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    Nah man I wasn't prior military so hopefully they didn't notice. sh.t man! I had no idea! I literally got my manuals, got my stuff from the cafeteria (car keys) and then walked back through the entrance to the auditorium. It wasn't like I was trying to sneak out. I strolled by like 20 other firemen too. Damn man now I'm nervous they'll bring it up on the 17th .... What did you guys end up doing after that?
    The Di's head count was off...they were trying to figure out why...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2024 View Post
    The Di's head count was off...they were trying to figure out why...
    But you guys didn't get any other paperwork or anything right? Oh man, what a dumb move on my end. Complete mistake.. I can't believe no one stopped me when I was walking out. Did you guys sign attendance when leaving or something?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    But you guys didn't get any other paperwork or anything right? Oh man, what a dumb move on my end. Complete mistake.. I can't believe no one stopped me when I was walking out. Did you guys sign attendance when leaving or something?
    No, we didn't sign attendance, so that's a good thing for you I guess, lol. They didn't give out anymore paper work, so you are ok there as well. They just went through a lot of other verbal info, and showed some videos. They had the captain come down and talk to us briefly as well. The military guys and gals( myself included), were called up to the balcony to figure out squad leader stuff.

Thread Information