Like Tree11307Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    You probably got your packet since you passed CPAT. If you are waiting for your Psych or Medical you will probably get notified along with the 1600s-2219 that are waiting. They told us we should expect it in the summer so I am thinking anywhere after July 14 - September.
    Hey Dannydope. What made you pick the day July 14th? I'm in same boat as you... I was going to go on trip in early July and was just wondering if you heard something or not...
    Test # 2000
    Score # 101
    List # 19XX
    Intake 3/5/14
    CPAT 3/27/14
    Medical 7/23/14

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle View Post
    You definitely need to aim to get faster than 8 min mile. When I went to the meet at the rock a little more than a month ago, LT Cacciola gave us a tour of the academy buildings. He told the group that we need to be able to do 3 miles in 24 min or less. Since then, I've made that my goal. I've been running 6 days a week busting my a s s bc I'm not a runner and have to really work at it. My 3 miles is at about 22:15-22-20 right now, averaging under a 7:30/mile. Obviously I'm not breaking any world speed records lol. Some of you guys are finis ing your mile and a half in 9 min and change. That's awesome! I want to try and get as close to averaging a 7min/mile as possible within the next few weeks just bc I want to be better. I've been learning that, for me, running is one of those things that you have to be really consistent at to get better.
    I am on the same boat. I try really hard and can't get faster then 7:30 min/mile. Anything faster then that I can't complete 3-4 mile run.
    Score: 102
    List: 11xx
    Intake Interview: Oct 29th
    CPAT: Nov 9th
    Psych: Jan 25th
    Medical: Jan28th
    Run Date: June 25th

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackooze View Post
    I am on the same boat. I try really hard and can't get faster then 7:30 min/mile. Anything faster then that I can't complete 3-4 mile run.
    Besides just the natural conditioning you'll get from running 6 days/week, I've been doing intervals fast/slow. I'll do a quarter mile all out fast, followed by a slower quarter mile where I run just fast enough to catch my breathe in time for the next round. I'll do like 3 or 4 rounds. Ends up being about 2 miles total. I believe it has helped my speed. Try it one day.
    List#: 11xx
    Intake Interview: Oct 29, 2013
    CPAT: Nov 9, 2013
    Psych: Jan 25, 2014
    Med: Jan 29, 2014
    Run Letter: June 18, 2014
    Run Date: June 25, 2014
    Academy Start Date: July 14, 2014

Forum Member

My 5 mile runs range anywhere from 7:45 per lap to 8:10, a lot depends on how I'm feeling and how many people/cars I have to dodge lol. If I were just to focus on 3 miles I could get it down to 7:40 I think. I'm not getting much faster but all my miles are staying less than 5 seconds of each other so all my miles are consistent.
    JDNY13 likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Guys going into the academy or guys that have already graduated, the last week or two leading into the academy were you training balls to the wall or did you start to ease up or plan to ease it up in order to try and be as fresh as possible.
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Man, I have fast twitch muscles like a mf'r. I am explosive and quick. Always have been. Even running an 8 min/mile for a few miles is a task for me, I won't lie. I don't get winded, just muscles fatigue in the calves. Sucks, but what can you do I guess.
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle View Post
    Besides just the natural conditioning you'll get from running 6 days/week, I've been doing intervals fast/slow. I'll do a quarter mile all out fast, followed by a slower quarter mile where I run just fast enough to catch my breathe in time for the next round. I'll do like 3 or 4 rounds. Ends up being about 2 miles total. I believe it has helped my speed. Try it one day.
    I do that once to twice a week. I went down from doing 9 min/mile to 7:30 but not continuous. I feel like I hit a wall. My body hurts when trying to stay 7:30 for three miles.
    grizzle likes this.
    List: 11xx
    Intake Interview: Oct 29th
    CPAT: Nov 9th
    Psych: Jan 25th
    Medical: Jan28th
    Run Date: June 25th

Forum Member

For the guys aff gals that did the run. Im believe that the pace we ran to and from the race is the pace we will be running daily. I can be wrong...deadwrong

Forum Member

I'm low 6,000s...I go to this forum at least twice a week and see what is being said. I have to say I keep getting discouraged at the pace of the list, I know I'm way down on the list then most of the people in this forum but any chance they get to the 6,000s? The more I read the less I think my chances are.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYistheGOAL88 View Post
    For the guys aff gals that did the run. Im believe that the pace we ran to and from the race is the pace we will be running daily. I can be wrong...deadwrong
    I dunno with everyone saying get down to 7:30-8:00 pace, that to and from felt like a leisurely jog.
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Guys going into the academy or guys that have already graduated, the last week or two leading into the academy were you training balls to the wall or did you start to ease up or plan to ease it up in order to try and be as fresh as possible.
    Rest, enjoy yourself but don't go crazy. You'll be banged up and exhausted for the next 18 weeks, you can take a week off.
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

Take it easy and rest up. You want to be 100% before you go in. Maybe even have a beer the weekend before. It'll be your last for a while

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackooze View Post
    I do that once to twice a week. I went down from doing 9 min/mile to 7:30 but not continuous. I feel like I hit a wall. My body hurts when trying to stay 7:30 for three miles.
    Idk, man. I feel the same on some days, too. I just say to myself "this is for the job" and pick up the pace again lol
    Jackooze likes this.
    List#: 11xx
    Intake Interview: Oct 29, 2013
    CPAT: Nov 9, 2013
    Psych: Jan 25, 2014
    Med: Jan 29, 2014
    Run Letter: June 18, 2014
    Run Date: June 25, 2014
    Academy Start Date: July 14, 2014

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYistheGOAL88 View Post
    The little trot that you do heading to the run is about a 9 - 10 min pace. You probably won't ever run that slow unless you have Lt Pete on a spirit run (which will be later in the academy). On average I would say we ran 3 to 4 miles a day around a 7 to 7:45 pace with some sub 7 high speed intervals thrown in the mix. Best advice is try to stay with the pack to avoid unwanted attention and to improve your speed / conditioning.
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

For those who passed the run, I just wanted to double check about the residency proof when we appear for administration. When we went into the other room to get our appointment offer letters, did they say we need to bring ONE recent proof of current residency from any point within the last three months? Or, did they say we need one proof of current residency for each of the last 3 months? I think he said just one proof as long as it is from one of the last three months.

...Sorry, I think by that point I was deaf, dumb, and blind with excitment that this was actually happening finally, and now thinking back, I can't quite recall.

Thanks all.

Forum Member

On another note...last nght I was at a family gathering and someone asked me the question I've been hearing countless times over the past 8 years or so: "So, what's going on with the Fire Department?" And finally, I was able to say I start July 14th! It felt really good after so many years of responding with either an explaination of the 6019 debacle, or just "still waiting..."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MESAman View Post
    For those who passed the run, I just wanted to double check about the residency proof when we appear for administration. When we went into the other room to get our appointment offer letters, did they say we need to bring ONE recent proof of current residency from any point within the last three months? Or, did they say we need one proof of current residency for each of the last 3 months? I think he said just one proof as long as it is from one of the last three months.

...Sorry, I think by that point I was deaf, dumb, and blind with excitment that this was actually happening finally, and now thinking back, I can't quite recall.

Thanks all.
    Just one. My Con Ed bill came yesterday so im taking that.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Just one. My Con Ed bill came yesterday so im taking that.
    Thanks dude. I thought so. My Con Ed bill just came as well so that's what I'll be using too lol.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DoTheWork View Post
    The little trot that you do heading to the run is about a 9 - 10 min pace. You probably won't ever run that slow unless you have Lt Pete on a spirit run (which will be later in the academy). On average I would say we ran 3 to 4 miles a day around a 7 to 7:45 pace with some sub 7 high speed intervals thrown in the mix. Best advice is try to stay with the pack to avoid unwanted attention and to improve your speed / conditioning.
    To simply avoid unwanted attention or to avoid getting kicked out altogether? I was under the impression that they kick you out for not staying with the pack or for repeatedly "fallin out" of the run. Which surprises me cuz in the Army there were ALWAYS guys who couldnt keep up but there were no serious consequences unless you actually failed the 2 mile PFT test.

With that said, how do they deal with slow runners and "fall outs" (ppl who actually STOP and cant run anymore) in the academy? Do they make the group wait for em? Do they turn around and get em on the "No Man Left Behind" rule? Is there an instructor who rounds em up and forces them to complete the entire run, just at a slower pace? Or are they rounded up, thrown in a cart and told to literally "Gtfoh"? Come to think of it, i never heard of someone getting kicked out for "failing" or "falling out" of a group run, but i figured if the DI's saw ppl not staying with the pack that they would make sure they found a way to get them the hell out of there.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

My buddy who is friends with some of the DI's said on average they are running a 9-10 min pace on the daily runs. I don't know what reason he'd have to lie to him but who knows.

I'm running 3-4 miles at an average 8 min pace anyway right now and am happy with it. I plan on increasing the distance by a mile or two but that's it.

Forum Member

I'm also adding cycling back into my routine on my running strength days

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jky9xx View Post
    My buddy who is friends with some of the DI's said on average they are running a 9-10 min pace on the daily runs. I don't know what reason he'd have to lie to him but who knows.

I'm running 3-4 miles at an average 8 min pace anyway right now and am happy with it. I plan on increasing the distance by a mile or two but that's it.
    I expected a much higher attrition rate if theyre doin 4 miles @ 7 min pace continuesly lol. But i think thats not til further in. Goddamn Navy Seals run 40 miles a week i think, maybe more. Im glad we wont be doing that lol.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

About the pace when running, I know a couple guys in the past have said it depends on which DI is setting the pace. Forget who said it but they said one DI may have you running a 9:00 pace the next day a different DI will have you running a 7:30 pace.

Forum Member

About the pace when running, I know a couple guys in the past have said it depends on which DI is setting the pace. Forget who said it but they said one DI may have you running a 9:00 pace the next day a different DI will have you running a 7:30 pace.
    That DI who paced us on run day looks like a beast. How long do you think the before and after run were? Im guessin it was like half a mile each way maybe a lil less. So like we actually ran about 2 1/2 miles that day total?
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    That DI who paced us on run day looks like a beast. How long do you think the before and after run were? Im guessin it was like half a mile each way maybe a lil less. So like we actually ran about 2 1/2 miles that day total?
    I would say between a quarter and half a mile, maybe closer to quarter mile.

Thread Information