Like Tree10460Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jky9xx View Post
    Didn't see anything about extended compression or regular but there was a double layer and regular if that's what you mean and I got the double layer.

These to be exact.

McDavid Hex Double Layer Knee/Elbow/Shin Pads, Black, Large by McDavid http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BN2I1BE/..._7J4Qtb0NN90NJ
    These are the ones I was talking about but you answered my question. Why did u choose double layer ?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006IN...&pi=SY200_QL40
    Score: 102
    List: 11xx
    Intake Interview: Oct 29th
    CPAT: Nov 9th
    Psych: Jan 25th
    Medical: Jan28th
    Run Date: June 25th

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle View Post
    Somebody said 24in or 26in bag.
    Are you getting the one from quartermaster or online?

Forum Member

When you go get your gear and stuff, are you allowed to buy as many sets of PT clothes and dress clothes as you want? I was just thinking, I'd rather just shell out the money for a lot of that stuff than be bothered with doing laundry every other day or so. Just another thing that will take up valuable time.

Forum Member

for the week in the field, do they just send you to the house that you live closest to? do you get to work during this period, learn hands on etc? or is it more about learning what life in a firehouse is like and less about going on the runs?

just curious. good luck to those that are getting sworn in on the 7th and to those that are still getting run letters
    Exam 2000
    score 100
    #24xx

not an expert, just reading these forums since 2043

Forum Member

Had the run yesterday. I counted 90+ people and 2 fails. (which was weird cause neither person seemed outta shape). My adrenaline was pumping so hard I was winded in the first 50 feet of the run which sucked haha, but was still happy to finish in under 10 minutes.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackooze View Post
    These are the ones I was talking about but you answered my question. Why did u choose double layer ?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006IN...&pi=SY200_QL40
    Just figured with how much time will spent on the knees a little extra couldn't hurt. I checked them out in store and they aren't that thick and the regular ones are on the thinner side

As far as buying more PT clothes, I don't think at the moment when you're getting all your stuff you can because the DI's are there yelling at you to move faster so there's no time. If you came back after or another day you can.

Forum Member

My left knee often gives me problems with minor tendonitis. I passed the run yesterday and am physically active however when it comes to my knee on the floor its a problem. Luckily I have knee pads that are a huge help. What else can I do to reduce these issues from coming up while in the academy? I might even double up on knee pads which I did for the Spartan race which came in clutch for the rock climb. Any suggestions help guys.

Thank You

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USA2000 View Post
    My left knee often gives me problems with minor tendonitis. I passed the run yesterday and am physically active however when it comes to my knee on the floor its a problem. Luckily I have knee pads that are a huge help. What else can I do to reduce these issues from coming up while in the academy? I might even double up on knee pads which I did for the Spartan race which came in clutch for the rock climb. Any suggestions help guys.

Thank You
    Ice, I also take glucosamine. I don't know if it works but I take it anyways.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Had the run yesterday. I counted 90+ people and 2 fails. (which was weird cause neither person seemed outta shape). My adrenaline was pumping so hard I was winded in the first 50 feet of the run which sucked haha, but was still happy to finish in under 10 minutes.
    What group were you in ?

Forum Member

What group were you in ?
    Alpha group.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Hey Nyckftbl, thanks for looking out. (says your mailbox is full)
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

will the January class be strictly OC?
    Exam 2000
    Score: 100
    List# : 30xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Administration isn't the day we'll be getting our uniform and bunker gear, that will be another day ? Also if it is a different day, is it an all day thing ? I'm trying to give my current job notice of what days I'll need off before I leave.
    It's 2 separate days and go in assuming they will be all day.

Quote Originally Posted by JDNY13 View Post
    So once we get out gear from the quartermaster do we just lug it all in on the 14th and pit it in our lockers ?
    You will be told to bring it in, I don't think it is the 14th. As I recall the first day of the academy is more paperwork and introductory stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MESAman View Post
    When you go get your gear and stuff, are you allowed to buy as many sets of PT clothes and dress clothes as you want? I was just thinking, I'd rather just shell out the money for a lot of that stuff than be bothered with doing laundry every other day or so. Just another thing that will take up valuable time.
    Theoretically yes, though they may not allow you guys to buy anything special/extra that day due to how many of you they need to process. If they do allow it you may still not have much luck because they may not have any extra stock of what they're giving you. They need to have hundreds of everything on hand just to give you what you're supposed to get, never mind extras. You will likely be doing laundry twice a week, it's not that big a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    for the week in the field, do they just send you to the house that you live closest to? do you get to work during this period, learn hands on etc? or is it more about learning what life in a firehouse is like and less about going on the runs?

just curious. good luck to those that are getting sworn in on the 7th and to those that are still getting run letters
    No they go alphabetical order. Very few people have an easy commute for that week, but it's only a week. You can do almost everything except go into a burning building. You are expected to be hands on and help wherever you can, though it is also about learning what's expected of you on a day to day basis in the firehouse.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jky9xx View Post
    Just figured with how much time will spent on the knees a little extra couldn't hurt. I checked them out in store and they aren't that thick and the regular ones are on the thinner side

As far as buying more PT clothes, I don't think at the moment when you're getting all your stuff you can because the DI's are there yelling at you to move faster so there's no time. If you came back after or another day you can.
    OK. what's the basic amount amount that they start you off with if you recall? Just wanted to have an idea, I know I'll find out soon enough. Thx

Forum Member

Hey Nyckftbl, thanks for looking out. (says your mailbox is full)

Ugh. Mobile skin on this site sucks, ill fix it tonight.
    River6019 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Ice, I also take glucosamine. I don't know if it works but I take it anyways.
    Glucosamine def works lol. I've been using it for a little over two years. I remember I ran out and was too lazy to buy another bottle for a couple of weeks and I felt it in my joints lol. Back then I was really into pushing and pulling heavy weight. A lot heavier than I am now. Cardio kills gains, bro.
    List#: 11xx
    Intake Interview: Oct 29, 2013
    CPAT: Nov 9, 2013
    Psych: Jan 25, 2014
    Med: Jan 29, 2014
    Run Letter: June 18, 2014
    Run Date: June 25, 2014
    Academy Start Date: July 14, 2014

Forum Member

Are you getting the one from quartermaster or online?
    I had bought an all black under armor bag hoping to use that, but I have a feeling I'll be buying the one at the quartermaster anyways and keep my under armor one as a back up for later.

Forum Member

I was in bravo! I finished just over 10 min. Maybe 10:10. My personal best lol.
    River6019 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle View Post
    I was in bravo! I finished just over 10 min. Maybe 10:10. My personal best lol.
    I ran on the 19th. I don't recall anyone being given their times. I wish I knew because I am curious. I think I finished somewhere in the middle of the pack anyways, but still.

Forum Member

Alpha group.
    I think you came in first. If you did then I sat next to you on your right.

I was alpha also. Came in 4th.

Forum Member

I think you came in first. If you did then I sat next to you on your right.

I was alpha also. Came in 4th.
    I definitely wasn't first haha, probably 5th or 6th. The first place dude was prob sub-9 minutes.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MESAman View Post
    I ran on the 19th. I don't recall anyone being given their times. I wish I knew because I am curious. I think I finished somewhere in the middle of the pack anyways, but still.
    There was a group of guys shouting times out as you passed them about 40 yards before the finish line. Just add 10-15 seconds to whatever that was and you can estimate it haha.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

I definitely wasn't first haha, probably 5th or 6th. The first place dude was prob sub-9 minutes.
    I don't believe I went under ten minutes!! That would be my personal best. I was third most the time and when the two guys were shouting times out someone passed me at that point.

Forum Member

There was a group of guys shouting times out as you passed them about 40 yards before the finish line. Just add 10-15 seconds to whatever that was and you can estimate it haha.
    Oh, I didn't even hear that lol...too bad. I guess I was just in a zone at that point and had blocked out pretty much everything else that was going on around me lol. Actually I think all that was going through my head was the quote from Brotherhood Life in the FDNY..."You want this job?!...Come and get it!"

Forum Member

Quartermasters gave me 2 sets of stuff, ie. PT gear, work duty shirts, 3 dress shirts, 1 tie, 2 pants maybe even 3 work duty pants, I can't remember, and 1 pair of dress pants. 1 class A jacket, 1 BI jacket, 1 cap, 1 pair of work duty shoes, 1 pair of dress shoes, collar brass, tie clip, 1 belt, and 1 pair of dress gloves.
    1 bunker coat, 2 bunker pants, 1 helmet, 1 hood, 1 pair of boots, I can't remember if they gave us 2 pair of gloves, might've been 1. Facepiece will be given to you at the a Rock.
    If you are gonna buy anything, buy extra tie clip, collar brass, maybe even a tie. These get lost in the shuffle of people bumping into you, or you dropping it while changing. A extra hood would be nice, they get soaked with sweat during FST, and evolutions.

Thread Information