Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 899 of 1209 FirstFirst ... 399799849889896897898899900901902909949999 ... LastLast
Results 17,961 to 17,980 of 24168
Like Tree9404Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #17961
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grizzle View Post
    Instead of ditching the weights altogether, the instructors at CPAT training were telling us to focus a lot on compound movements to get the most out of it. Squats, Lunges, Deadlifts, Bentover Barbell Rows, Military Press, Bench Press just to name a few. I also have designated days for calisthenics only, like pull-ups and push-ups and dips etc. Also kettlebells are really good. I also run and do the stairs 4-5 days a week each. I feel like videos like the one you posted are for people who are just getting into working out or are trying to lose weight only. Beginner stuff. Idk, that's just me. If you like stuff like that, insanity actually looks more challenging to the point where it will actually help you for the academy. I'm just going by what the instructors and ff friends of mine have told me. Just passing it along.
    I kind of want to agree but I did the same workout a couple weeks back and its brutal. Definitely not something for beginners. I have been alternating between HIITS workouts and weight training while maintaining the same intensity. Worst comes to worst (and I know its too late now), use the workout manual. There's lot of benefiting techniques you can learn especially in the back regarding the Academy.


  2. #17962
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9

    Default

    I heard what I heard, but since reading this forum I've seen some mixed things. It's more like I'm double checking . So instead of being an *******, put that concentration on helping someone out or maybe filling in a seat in a future class. Thanks pal.
    John246 likes this.

  3. #17963
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHAMP24 View Post
    How many miles do they start off running in the academy ?
    Starting is probably in the 2-3 mile range. Apparently with previous classes they did higher distances than they ever did with mine. Instead of getting up into the 7 mile range the PT instructors focused more on doing 4-5 at a faster pace. It's really hard to give specifics though because nobody has a watch on (except squad leaders).

  4. #17964
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Starting is probably in the 2-3 mile range. Apparently with previous classes they did higher distances than they ever did with mine. Instead of getting up into the 7 mile range the PT instructors focused more on doing 4-5 at a faster pace. It's really hard to give specifics though because nobody has a watch on (except squad leaders).
    Ok great thanks for the answer man

  5. #17965
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    334

    Default

    is former military mandatory requirement to be a squad leader? I know nothing about what it's like to be a leader on a paramilitary level, but can't say I wouldn't be a little bit interested if the opportunity presented itself. can anyone clue us in on what it takes to be a squad leader or make valedictorian of an academy class?
    Exam 2000
    score 100
    #24xx

    not an expert, just reading these forums since 2043

  6. #17966
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    is former military mandatory requirement to be a squad leader? I know nothing about what it's like to be a leader on a paramilitary level, but can't say I wouldn't be a little bit interested if the opportunity presented itself. can anyone clue us in on what it takes to be a squad leader or make valedictorian of an academy class?
    The initial squad leaders are all going to be former military. That's just the way it is. If they are dissatisfied with the performance of a squad leader they will replace him/her with someone else from the squad. I don't know how they go about selecting replacements, but that'd be about the only way you could end up being one if you are not military.

    I'm not sure if valedictorian is based off just academic performance or the combined score of academics, and # grades on FST and PT. For academics you need to be smart, study a lot, and be a good test taker.
    4040clubBouncer likes this.

  7. #17967
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    is former military mandatory
    requirement to be a squad leader? I
    know nothing about what it's like to be a leader on a paramilitary level, but can't say I wouldn't be a little bit interested if the opportunity presented itself. can anyone clue us in on what it takes to be a squad leader or make valedictorian of an academy class?
    Military folks are the ones considered for squad leader positions. If they couldn't get any military folks to accept the position...i would imagine they would start considering non-military folks for the position.
    4040clubBouncer likes this.

  8. #17968
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    have you contacted your investigator?
    I have. I did submit some documents this past Saturday. That must the reason.

  9. #17969
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidM123 View Post
    I have. I did submit some documents this past Saturday. That must the reason.
    I hope you hear back soon. Good luck buddy. Make sure you let us know if you hear anything lol

  10. #17970
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordzofBrooklyn View Post
    I heard what I heard, but since reading this forum I've seen some mixed things. It's more like I'm double checking . So instead of being an *******, put that concentration on helping someone out or maybe filling in a seat in a future class. Thanks pal.
    Unfortunately this happens a lot on this form.. people get bashful when we're all here for the same goal and trying to be on the same team, makes no sense.

  11. #17971
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Starting is probably in the 2-3 mile range. Apparently with previous classes they did higher distances than they ever did with mine. Instead of getting up into the 7 mile range the PT instructors focused more on doing 4-5 at a faster pace. It's really hard to give specifics though because nobody has a watch on (except squad leaders).
    your talking daily correct?

  12. #17972
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    Unfortunately this happens a lot on this form.. people get bashful when we're all here for the same goal and trying to be on the same team, makes no sense.
    You use that word "bashful" I do not think it means what you think it means.
    List # 12XX

  13. #17973
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Praying_Patiently View Post
    your talking daily correct?
    Yes, daily, well for the first few weeks. Then you start FST for one of those days.

  14. #17974
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Does anyone have that height-weight chart they use for the medicals? Also, I heard a rumor they DQ you if you don't get down to the mandatory weight set for your height. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

  15. #17975
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Does anyone have that height-weight chart they use for the medicals? Also, I heard a rumor they DQ you if you don't get down to the mandatory weight set for your height. Does anyone know if this is true or not?
    I am 5'11 and couldn't be more than 215 or 216 I forget. From there +\- 5lbs for every inch in either direction

  16. #17976
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    I hope you hear back soon. Good luck buddy. Make sure you let us know if you hear anything lol
    For sure, thanks.

  17. #17977
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Does anyone have that height-weight chart they use for the medicals? Also, I heard a rumor they DQ you if you don't get down to the mandatory weight set for your height. Does anyone know if this is true or not?
    I think this is partially true. Now i haven't done it in years but I think they want you to be at your weight, BUT, they will use their judgment one each person. Meaning, if your "overweight" but its because your in shape and very muscular, than they will probably let it go. They wont make you lose muscle just to hit the mark lol. Someone who's completed a medical recently can jump in and give their input, like I said I haven't done a one in a couple of years haha.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

  18. #17978
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    Unfortunately this happens a lot on this form.. people get bashful when we're all here for the same goal and trying to be on the same team, makes no sense.
    Yea it's a shame man, one team one fight. I guess some people are just going to have to learn the hard way

  19. #17979
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    You use that word "bashful" I do not think it means what you think it means.
    You the grammar police? You knew what he was trying to say right ? Why even bother posting that . My man was just trying to make a point. Damn some if you guys are going to have a VERY hard time in Proby School!

  20. #17980
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I am 5'11 and couldn't be more than 215 or 216 I forget. From there +\- 5lbs for every inch in either direction
    I'm the same height and I had to go back a 3rd time in '08 because I missed that 215 cutoff by like 5-10 lbs on my 2nd try at the stairs. Someone just told me they're busting balls and DQing you if you come back a 2nd time and don't hit the weight cutoff even if you pass the stairs.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 9 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 8 guests)

  1. JRodPizza

Similar Threads

  1. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  2. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 04:08 AM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts