Like Tree9891Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

FDNY getting some huge, good, publicity right now at the Mayor's presser.

Forum Member

Anybody on here interested in running and volunteering for the tunnel to towers run as a group this year-send me a pm.

Here is the information on the run... http://www.tunneltotowersrun.org/

Forum Member

I would like to do the run. Are we running as a group or individually?

Forum Member

I wish I could go but im down in Florida

Forum Member

I have a question about residency points. I currently meet the criteria to receive the 5 residency points. I lived within the city between July 2010 through June 2011 and still do. Now if I was to move out of the city would I still receive the 5 points because I lived in the city during the time frame listed on the exam application or in addition to I need to continue living in city during the actual exam. Also I am definitely moving later this month, trying to stay in the city but when I do move, who do I contact to update my contact information ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I have a question about residency points. I currently meet the criteria to receive the 5 residency points. I lived within the city between July 2010 through June 2011 and still do. Now if I was to move out of the city would I still receive the 5 points because I lived in the city during the time frame listed on the exam application or in addition to I need to continue living in city during the actual exam. Also I am definitely moving later this month, trying to stay in the city but when I do move, who do I contact to update my contact information ?

From what I understand, the time period of July 2010 through June 2011 is all they will be looking at-so you should be fine. You should probably call recruitment about that just to verify.

For the contact information update, you will have to call Department of Citywide Administration Services (DCAS) and tell them you need to update your information for FDNY exam 2000.

Forum Member

Is this test going to be a civil service type exam? Just wondering what material to pick up and study.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFemt1991 View Post
    Is this test going to be a civil service type exam? Just wondering what material to pick up and study.
    I think this is a question all of this have when it comes to this exam. From all the news sources the exam was developed by a third party under the geise of fairness. Over at my other sites I've seen them talking about the practice in which people of all races are taking the test to see if it is fair in terms of score. As always NY DCAS is administering the test but this time over a computer which makes it easier in the relm of audio recording for certain aspects of the test. As a personal preference I think just taking any FF exam test will never hurt and I'm enrolled in both the Fireexam.net as well as looking into the physical training part in Wantagh (besides hitting the John Jay gym). I wish everyone the best of luck, it takes a special person to be one of the Best and the Bravest

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    I think this is a question all of this have when it comes to this exam. From all the news sources the exam was developed by a third party under the geise of fairness. Over at my other sites I've seen them talking about the practice in which people of all races are taking the test to see if it is fair in terms of score. As always NY DCAS is administering the test but this time over a computer which makes it easier in the relm of audio recording for certain aspects of the test. As a personal preference I think just taking any FF exam test will never hurt and I'm enrolled in both the Fireexam.net as well as looking into the physical training part in Wantagh (besides hitting the John Jay gym). I wish everyone the best of luck, it takes a special person to be one of the Best and the Bravest
    What sites are your other sites? Does anything special go on at the john jay gym or is it just a regular gym?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    Are these exam prep classes legit. I don't want to throw $450 away if they're a waste of time. Do any other places offer prep classes ?

Forum Member

What is up with that article in the cheif today? What priority hiring are they talking about?
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 08-31-2011 at 05:24 PM.

Forum Member

BrooklynBorn, I was wondering the same thing-this doesn't sound good...

UFA Wants New Test Given to '99 and '02 'Priority List' Hopefuls
    Chief Leader - August 30, 2011

by FLORA FAIR

The Uniformed Firefighters Association has filed a motion requesting that all FDNY candidates who took the 1999 and 2002 exams and are eligible for priority hiring must pass the new firefighter exam, to be administered in January 2012.

Long-Running Case

This is the latest of several petitions in a case filed in 2007 by the Department of Justice and the Vulcan Society of black firefighters against he city, alleging discriminatory hiring practices at the FDNY.

Brooklyn Federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis previously ruled that the 1999, 2002 and 2007 exams each had a "disparate impact" on minority Firefighter candidates, and has recommended a special master to oversee issues such as priority hiring and seniority for those who passed the 1999 and 2002 tests. The UFA's motion would affect approximately 293 candidates from the two earlier exams who are eligible for priority hiring.

Concern About Promotion Chances

The union said in court documents that it filed the petition based on concerns about incumbent Firefighters being disadvantaged if plaintiffs in the case are awarded retroactive seniority in the FDNY, causing others to be passed over for promotion.

"The UFA is not seeking to penalize potential priority hires by making them take and simply pass the new test," the court document read. "Rather, it seeks to make sure that priority hires at least minimally possess the job-related skills that the new written exam is designed to identify."

The UFA also argued that it's unrealistic to think other firefighters would not be skeptical of those who were given priority hiring without taking the exam.

Registration for the new exam continues through Sept. 15.

Forum Member

Article is very confusing. Why is this the first any one heard of this?
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 09-01-2011 at 01:16 AM.

Forum Member

Im not sure what affect this would have anyway. Are guys who took the exam 13 years ago, or a decade ago, going to be able to get through all of the phases before you even get to the academy? Would they waive the age requirements for these men? Even if they did, I find it hard to believe someone who took the exam 13 years ago, didnt get on, didnt have the drive to pursue it any further would now all of a sudden be in good enough shape to even pass the med.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    What sites are your other sites? Does anything special go on at the john jay gym or is it just a regular gym?
    Hey Brooklyn, some the the other sites I use for info are

Officer.com go to NY forum and then scroll down to see this topic.

FDNY Rant solid source for articles.

The Bravest another good source for info on all things FDNY

JoinFDNY Facebook solid info, the key isn't to ask questions, the key is to ask the "right" question.

Also don't hesitate to ask any house on the web questions. Most have contact info and are sure happy to answer your questions. Also be sure to wait as they don't check E-Mail regularly.

As for the John Jay gym we to my knowledge have weight vests that you can rent and use but you have to pay a fee if you are not a student. (Presently I am)

Are these exam prep classes legit. I don't want to throw $450 away if they're a waste of time. Do any other places offer prep classes ?
    I was taught in my Police Science class by a great professor that any prep is good prep, and good prep in great numbers is an excillent chance at a wonderful career. I do hope that helps. I know some are curious as to how this exam plays out but we shall see where it goes from here. While some will say it won't help I say any help at this point is help. Also from the joinFDNY facebook, it says that you can take a crash run at the test sometime in December at testing locations (tecnically it said late November but DCAS and joinFDNY say you won't hear of anything till Dec. 3rd, so contradictory information there.)

Forum Member

Thanks man.

Forum Member

Is anyone doing a prep course for the exam...if so who are you using and where. I am currently looking for a prep course in the Bronx if I can find a worth while one.

Forum Member

Default FDNY Physical Exam Prep in "Seaford" Long Island

just to give you guys the heads up... AKC Fitness LI is in Seaford, run by me. I've been training "pre-probies" since my retirement in '04, but this time around, I've opened a facility dedicated to that purpose. My website has all the information you need...

http://firefightersworkout.com

Remember, it's not just CPAT, but the medical and academy, by far the hardest step.

Good Luck future Bravest!

Forum Member

So they are going with the CPAT this test? Wasn't sure from some of the posts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFemt1991 View Post
    So they are going with the CPAT this test? Wasn't sure from some of the posts.
    My sources tell me yes... but you can never be sure. Either way, it will either be a strict CPAT, or a variation of CPAT, but harder...

Forum Member

was it just me or does the online application not have a residency credit check off box..? or perhaps it just goes by the zip you entered? I try to skim this thread really quick, couildn't find anything

Forum Member

had a question on the part about being a NYC resident. I know you don't have to live in NY to take the test, but it stated that "the time of appointment" one would have to live in NYC or the counties mention. My question is what does "the time of appoinment" mean? Is that the time we are called to finish out the rest of the process? or when one graduates from the FDNY recruit school? thanks and look forward to test.

Forum Member

The day you start "probie school" you are appointed the position and are on payroll.

Forum Member

ah ok gottca thanks

Forum Member

What type of confirmation, if any, do you recieve after signing up for the test? I recieved an email stating that my account had been created but not one confirming that my application for the exam had been accepted (I filled out all the information for the exam including credit card info) Also, my credit card has not been charged. I sent OAS an email but that have not gotten back to me. Have other people been getting confirmation or do I need to sign up again? Thanks

Thread Information