Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 90 of 1143 FirstFirst ... 4080878889909192931001401905901090 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,800 of 22852
Like Tree8978Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

From a liability standpoint, if you get someone killed, or die yourself, and the lawyers in the inevitable lawsuit that follows asks the FDNY, "So, this Mr. Lfrang, explain to the court his training." FDNY: "I don't know he was from another department." Doesn't work.

Uniformity decreases liability.

Forum Member

Not to mention, you're from a different state entirely. Different training standards, I would imagine. Let's face it. Small town fire experience < Big city fire experience. Not near the volume. (Not saying you're small town, just an example of lack of uniformity.)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    Not to mention, you're from a different state entirely. Different training standards, I would imagine. Let's face it. Small town fire experience < Big city fire experience. Not near the volume. (Not saying you're small town, just an example of lack of uniformity.)
    http://www.miamidade.gov/mdfr/emergency_stations.asp

check it out I work for the 5th largest dept. in the us. 73 stations we have 2 of the busiest units in the USA. Second The fire curriculum is taught at a national standard. I obtain a national fire certification. Like i said the fundamentals are fundamentals. Protocols are different than fundamentals. What they taught you in the academy isnt sufficent. Thats why they send you to protocol training to "mold you there way" all the BS is cut out. You need to walk before you run. And the national fire cert would be walk and the protocol training would be the run. Figuratively speaking. Get your facts straight boys. shame shame shame

check out the two busiest ariel and rescue units
    http://www.station19.net/vintage.html
    http://firehouse2.net/
    Last edited by Lfrang; 04-08-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lfrang View Post
    i have been through more fires than most of the applicants for fdny and experience is experience. no body could take that away from you im sorry. Just so you know protrocol training and learning the fundenmentals are two different animals.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/up...-here-meme.png

Forum Member

Again, wasn't attacking your department or it's size Does the FNDY recognize national certification? If they do, you might have a leg to stand on but from what it sounds like, they don't take laterals.

Haha roadrunner. I love that meme

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    LOL

So if it's such a good department why on earth would you want to join ny's bravest? Just curious to know. I mean let's face it if you don't have residency credit or military or legacy then with the amount of ny residents that applied, your chances are very slim to get this job.

Forum Member

I'm positive that the FDNY does not recognize state or national training certification. I have proboard FFII, doesn't mean that I will be hired ahead of anyone. Everyone goes through the academy gets treated the same as someone off the street or someone who is coming from a smaller paid dept. They(FDNY instructors could care less where you came from, how many fires you've been in, if you are firefighter 6000 certified, you are as equal as the dude who is flipping burgers) That's what it is, and the FDNY can be like that because of their reputation. 61,000 people applied for maybe 2-3000 slots over 4 years. If they threw out the test tomorrow and raised the price to 100 dollars to sit for the test I'm sure mostly everyone here would go and pay the money, I know I would.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    Again, wasn't attacking your department or it's size Does the FNDY recognize national certification? If they do, you might have a leg to stand on but from what it sounds like, they don't take laterals.

Haha roadrunner. I love that meme
    in insult taken at all. =) trust me... just want to clear the air thats all.. and no FDNY dosnt recognize the cert. this all boils down to what i said earlier in the thread. that in my opionion people who have experience should have there own app. process like florida. but thats simply my opinion. And you ask why am i applying to fdny? its because that has been my dream dept. since i was a child. The way they fight fire, no fear. the terrority they cover, the tradition they have etc. etc.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    I'm positive that the FDNY does not recognize state or national training certification. I have proboard FFII, doesn't mean that I will be hired ahead of anyone. Everyone goes through the academy gets treated the same as someone off the street or someone who is coming from a smaller paid dept. They(FDNY instructors could care less where you came from, how many fires you've been in, if you are firefighter 6000 certified, you are as equal as the dude who is flipping burgers) That's what it is, and the FDNY can be like that because of their reputation. 61,000 people applied for maybe 2-3000 slots over 4 years. If they threw out the test tomorrow and raised the price to 100 dollars to sit for the test I'm sure mostly everyone here would go and pay the money, I know I would.
    Its all good Griff, they would get my $100 too!

I can definitely understand the dream job part but if you're Miami-Dade you're probably sitting pretty as it is. Don't you guys top out at like 90k or something like that? What I was referring to by academies were the two departments I knew of who did their own academies separate from the rest of the state, civil service style like up north. I know pretty much every county has a training facility but I believe you would not get hired to say Pinellas County and then go through a Pinellas County academy. You would go to a state run academy like Ocala, then apply to Pinellas or if you were lucky enough to get sponsored they would pay your way.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    LOL

So if it's such a good department why on earth would you want to join ny's bravest? Just curious to know. I mean let's face it if you don't have residency credit or military or legacy then with the amount of ny residents that applied, your chances are very slim to get this job.
    Heard the same thing last time. You're out of state don't waste your time. I scored around the 3500 range with no extra points. I have a few friends on the job up there who told me I exactly had a good number. Also have some friends who's number was 4500 or higher who made it, so you never know. This is a whole different animal this time so there is no telling what this judge will do. This has been my dream for a very long time to and I'm also on the job down here in Florida. Guess what Skavenger your chances of getting hired are slim to none to. Just because you have 5 points on me doesn't mean you will automatically score higher on the test. I've also been waiting for the past couple of years and prepared to do the same again. One thing I've learned from the FDNY, is that they want the people who are prepared to go through the hoops and wait. Flying in tomorrow test on Tuesday. Here we go again...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    I mean let's face it if you don't have residency credit or military or legacy then with the amount of ny residents that applied, your chances are very slim to get this job.
    I have to disagree with you. This personality test threw a curveball into the game. This is the judge's clam bake. I just hope we're all invited...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RustyFF View Post
    Heard the same thing last time. You're out of state don't waste your time. I scored around the 3500 range with no extra points. I have a few friends on the job up there who told me I exactly had a good number. Also have some friends who's number was 4500 or higher who made it, so you never know. This is a whole different animal this time so there is no telling what this judge will do. This has been my dream for a very long time to and I'm also on the job down here in Florida. Guess what Skavenger your chances of getting hired are slim to none to. Just because you have 5 points on me doesn't mean you will automatically score higher on the test. I've also been waiting for the past couple of years and prepared to do the same again. One thing I've learned from the FDNY, is that they want the people who are prepared to go through the hoops and wait. Flying in tomorrow test on Tuesday. Here we go again...
    This. .....

Forum Member

I've done the personality test for another department and it was very similar. Some people say it depends on what they are looking for, I.e. leader or follower. The other thing, they can catch you lying or "not reading and paying attention.". I haven't heard any word on how or if they score it.

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Quote Originally Posted by PHHC08 View Post
    I've done the personality test for another department and it was very similar. Some people say it depends on what they are looking for, I.e. leader or follower. The other thing, they can catch you lying or "not reading and paying attention.". I haven't heard any word on how or if they score it.
    That's it, that's the problem. The creaters of this exam don't even know how to grade this exam. Put it this way they don't even have an answer key yet. Who's to say they can't manipulate this exam in there favor. If you don't believe me call Paul Mannix from merit matters he can verify this info.

Forum Member

Can we please stop talking about other fire departments and which is better. It has no bearing on the FDNY, arguing about it on this thread will do nothing to change the FDNY
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 04-09-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Forum Member

Judge denies NYC challenge to FDNY monitor's bill

NEW YORK, April 9 (Reuters) - A federal judge has rebuffed a challenge brought by New York city against $310,000 in fees charged by a court-appointed lawyer overseeing the hiring of city firefighters.

Attorney Mark Cohen was appointed in November to supervise a top-to-bottom overhaul of how the city's Fire Department recruits and hires minorities. Cohen was appointed after U.S. District Judge Nicholas Garaufis of federal court in Brooklyn found discrimination against blacks and Hispanics.

Last week, lawyers for New York city called a fee statement submitted by Cohen "astonishing" and "excessive" and asked Garaufis to temporarily block a March 23 order approving Cohen's first request for fees. In the alternative, the city said Cohen should be forced to post a bond in case all or part of the bill was overturned on appeal.

In a ruling Friday, Garaufis issued a scathing rebuke on both counts, saying that Cohen's fees were reasonable and accusing the city of attacking the fee request as a way to avoid addressing discrimination.

"Given that the context suggests that the city's financial arguments are not genuine, the city's motion appears to be an attempt to stay the court monitor's work," Garaufis wrote.

New York City Corporation Counsel Michael Cardozo said in a statement last week that without seeing the itemized breakdown of Cohen's fees -- $310,758 for 52 days of work -- there was no way to tell whether the request was appropriate.

"We are disappointed in, and respectfully disagree with, the court's decision," Cardozo said in a statement Monday.

Garaufis and New York City have traded barbs frequently over the course of the five-year-old discrimination case.

In a series of rulings, Garaufis has said the city should have acknowledged and addressed complaints of discrimination, rather than fighting them tooth-and-nail in court -- a sentiment he repeated in Friday's order.

"The cost of this protracted litigation is a cost spent opposing the application of civil rights laws that would benefit New Yorkers," Garaufis said.

Lawyers for the city have shot back by accusing Garaufis of bias. In a filing with the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Jan. 17, the city asked the appeals court to reverse the remedial order and assign the case to a new judge.

Cohen, a partner at Cohen & Gresser, did not respond to requests for comment. But in a court filing last Thursday, he pointed to several alleged misstatements in the city's motion and called its characterizations of his request "incorrect."

The case is U.S. v. City of New York, in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, No. 07-2067.

For the United States: Assistant U.S. Attorneys Elliot Schachner, Michael Goldberger and David Eskew for the U.S. Attorney's Office, Eastern District of New York; and Eric Bachman, Sharon Seeley, Allan Townsend, Barbara Schwabauer, Jennifer Swedish, Meredith Burrell and Varda Hussain of the U.S. Department of Justice.

For the Vulcan Society: Richard Levy, Dana Lossia and Robert Stroup of Levy Ratner; Anjana Samant and Darius Charney for the Center for Constitutional Rights; and Judith Scolnick of Scott and Scott.

For New York City: Assistant Corporation Counsel Georgia Pestana, William Fraenkel, Edward Sample, James Lemonedes, Kami Barker, Kathleen Comfrey, Patricia Miller and Vivien Ranada.

(Reporting by Jessica Dye)

Follow us on Twitter: @ReutersLegal

http://newsandinsight.thomsonreuters...onitor_s_bill/

Forum Member

Judge orders NYC to release review of 911 system

By SAMANTHA GROSS, Associated Press – 3 hours ago

NEW YORK (AP) — New York City must release a consultant's review of the city's 911 system and emergency response times that Mayor Michael Bloomberg's administration has been fighting to keep private, a civil court judge decided Monday.

Saying his decision stemmed from a belief in open government and transparency, Supreme Court Justice Arthur F. Engoron said that the taxpayer-funded consultant's report and all its drafts belong to the people of New York City.

"The city's not the only interest group here. And the city's not infallible," Engoron said after comparing the city's claim that the report should be private to President Richard Nixon's claims of executive privilege during the Watergate scandal.

Lawyers for the city had argued that the review, commissioned after a massive blizzard in December 2010 that stranded ambulances and backed up the emergency call system, is still in draft form. They claimed that an order to release the documents could have a chilling effect on city employees, who might become reluctant to freely express their opinions.

"If policymakers felt they could not give or receive blunt or candid feedback without it being publicized, the entire public would be at a detriment," said city lawyer Gail Mulligan.

But the judge sided with lawyers for unions representing city firefighters, who argued that it was in the interest of their clients — and of the public — to learn about any problems with the 911 system that could be delaying response times and putting lives at risk.

"They could label this a draft in perpetuity," said Joshua Zuckerberg, a lawyer for the Uniformed Fire Officers Association. "It's a cover up ... plain and simple."

Kate O'Brien Ahlers, a spokeswoman for the city's Law Department, said the city was very disappointed with the ruling and would consider appealing. Last week, Bloomberg questioned whether the current version of the report was accurate. City officials had said they planned to make the final version of the report public soon.

The mayor argued Monday that the ruling set a dangerous precedent.

"I don't know how any government would be able to function if you had to put out every single paper, even at the beginning of a study and all through the study," he said. "If the courts say you have to publish this, you have to publish everything."

Under the judge's decision, the documents must be released within seven days to the unions, which may then decide whether to submit them into evidence during a public arbitration hearing scheduled for April 20. There is no mandate forcing the Uniformed Fire Officers Association and the Uniformed Firefighters Association to make the documents publicly available, and the unions' lawyers on Monday stopped short of promising to do so.

The unions contend that the city's recent overhaul of the 911 system has led to delays that have been concealed by a change in how the city calculates its fire response times. Administration officials say the overhaul has modernized an out-of-date system and eliminated inefficiencies, improving response times.

At the center of the dispute is the fire department's average response time to structural fires, which dropped 6 seconds in fiscal year 2010, shortly after the city changed its emergency dispatch procedures. Under the new system, 911 operators collect more information before starting the response-time clock. City officials testified they had never tracked how long callers are on the line before the clock begins, leading critics to question the validity of the city's numbers.

Bloomberg announced plans to overhaul the city's decades-old 911 system following a blackout in 2003 that largely immobilized the city.

Last month, the city's comptroller issued an audit criticizing the city for its handling of the project, saying it was $1 billion over-budget and seven years behind schedule. Deputy Mayor for Operations Cas Holloway attacked the report as misleading, disputing the figures and arguing that most of the cost increase was due to a strategic decision to build a backup call center from the ground up.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-04/D9U1JIE80.htm

Does that say $1 billion over budget? And were worried about the 300k the lawyer wants? LMAO...i honestly dont know what to say...

Forum Member

nnnnnnnnnnnnn
    Last edited by hireme; 04-10-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Forum Member

how would you not have an answer key? lol... did they just make the questions up without recording what the answers are? haha

Thread Information