Like Tree9532Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Thats good to hear. Ive been studying the manual literally 4-5 hours on weekdays and over 20 hours on weekends (i have a weekend security job where i just sit there for 12 hrs on Saturday and 12 hours on Sunday so i read the manual entire time).

The DI's were makin it seem like if we didnt start reading now then we'd be completely lost when classes start. Ive been studying my *** off becuz of that, even got nylon rope to practice knots with lol. I know i may be going crazy over here but im trying to literally forget about everything except for fire fighting. Even made the wife watch "Backdraft" with me last night; pausing the movie every few scenes to explain why theyre doing this and that lol...im losing my mind.
    Didnt william baldwin win an oscar for that role?

Forum Member

Thats good to hear. Ive been studying the manual literally 4-5 hours on weekdays and over 20 hours on weekends (i have a weekend security job where i just sit there for 12 hrs on Saturday and 12 hours on Sunday so i read the manual entire time).

The DI's were makin it seem like if we didnt start reading now then we'd be completely lost when classes start. Ive been studying my *** off becuz of that, even got nylon rope to practice knots with lol. I know i may be going crazy over here but im trying to literally forget about everything except for fire fighting. Even made the wife watch "Backdraft" with me last night; pausing the movie every few scenes to explain why theyre doing this and that lol...im losing my mind.
    I even got rope to work on tying knots lol, kinda of difficult when my cat keeps batting the rope because he thinks I'm playing with him lol.
    FFleak likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle View Post
    Hey MM, are you officially off probation, yet?!?!?!
    2.5 weeks to go.

Forum Member

I work in a garage wearing "dickies" type shirts and long pants in the heat so I'm used to sweating all day THEN going to do calisthenics and run outside after. I know it's not exactly like wearing bunker gear but it's also not like wearing shorts and a Hawaiian shirt either lol. I prefer dripping sweat than freezing cold lol

Bring it on!!
    Definitely not the same especailly when you involve heat, and I'm not talking about weather, but you do get used to it. Drink lots of water the night before, this will keep you hydrated for the days at the academy.

Forum Member

Except for 99% of what goes on in that movie isn't real, doesn't happen in real life, or if it was actually genuine doesn't pertain to today's standards.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jky9xx View Post
    Except for 99% of what goes on in that movie isn't real, doesn't happen in real life, or if it was actually genuine doesn't pertain to today's standards.
    Lightsabres, the force, and wookies aren't real either. Doesn't mean a man can't like Star Wars.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

In case you haven't seen it, check out Ladder 49. Better movie, better story in my humble opinion...whether it's realistic or not,I have no idea lol...But I will soon!
    FFleak likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Definitely not the same especailly when you involve heat, and I'm not talking about weather, but you do get used to it. Drink lots of water the night before, this will keep you hydrated for the days at the academy.
    I drank a lot of water the day before an the day of the run. I had to pee every 20 min. So did a lot of people. The DI's seemed to be getting ticked off about it.
    Jackooze and FFleak like this.
    List#: 11xx
    Intake Interview: Oct 29, 2013
    CPAT: Nov 9, 2013
    Psych: Jan 25, 2014
    Med: Jan 29, 2014
    Run Letter: June 18, 2014
    Run Date: June 25, 2014
    Academy Start Date: July 14, 2014

Forum Member

What would you do?:
    I currently have two pending moving violations which i had prior to my intake interview and made my investigator aware of them, since they are minor offences, (NOT Speeding, NOT DUI) He said dont worry about it just stay clear from here on out. I am afraid i will go to court next month or so and i would be found guilty, even thou these two tickets would not suspened my license, i dont want to give any reason to be skipped for the January class. (1400s are an easy shoe-in for January)... Should I just keep postponing these tickets until im sitting in my firehouse? Or is it the inverse and looks bad if i have cases pending?
    Last edited by MikeLarryM35; 06-27-2014 at 04:05 PM.
    Exam 2000
    Score 101
    List #14xx (MID)
    INTAKE ✓
    MEDICAL ✓
    CPAT ✓
    PHYCH ✓

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MESAman View Post
    In case you haven't seen it, check out Ladder 49. Better movie, better story in my humble opinion...whether it's realistic or not,I have no idea lol...But I will soon!
    If you're gonna watch a fire movie, watch Burn. It a documentary about Detroit came out last year. That's very real.
    FDsouthbxNY and TomFromQueens like this.

Forum Member

There's also a lot of really good GoPro helmet cam videos on YouTube.

Forum Member

Be honest for guys of a certain age on this thread backdraft came out at a very impressionable age. I bet that planted the seed for many of us. Not saying the movie is accurate but it is one of THEE fire movies of all time.

Forum Member

If you're gonna watch a fire movie, watch Burn. It a documentary about Detroit came out last year. That's very real.
    Yes, I've seen it. Awesome film. thanks anyway
    grizzle and FFleak like this.

Forum Member

Just so I feel better, I'm not the only one studying for the July class that reads the chapter on SCBA and it's just a bunch of words that make absolutely zero sense ?
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

I drank a lot of water the day before an the day of the run. I had to pee every 20 min. So did a lot of people. The DI's seemed to be getting ticked off about it.
    Yeah, but you weren't dehydrated.

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Just so I feel better, I'm not the only one studying for the July class that reads the chapter on SCBA and it's just a bunch of words that make absolutely zero sense ?
    It will, and you will thank yourself when you are in class and it starts to make sense.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I was reading that one the other day, it was kind of confusing I'm gonna go back and re read it again
    Last edited by JDNY13; 06-27-2014 at 03:22 PM.
    List: 7xx
    Intake: 9/26
    Psych: 10/11
    Medical: 10/22
    Oral psych 11/04
    Cpat 11/04

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MESAman View Post
    Yea ive seen Ladder 49. Its a better movie imo as well. Seems more true to life. Backdraft was definitely almost all drama and unrealistic the way they carried on but i still liked it. Yesterday was actually my first tome watching it becuz i ran into it on Netflix. I watched "Burn" and becuz of that Netflix recommemded i watch Backdraft, so i did lol
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLarryM35 View Post
    What would you do?:
    I currently have two pending moving violations which i had prior to my intake interview and made my investigator aware of them, since they are minor offences, (NOT Speeding, NOT DUI) He said dont worry about it just stay clear from here on out. I am afraid i will go to court next month or so and i am found guilty, even thou these two tickets would not suspened my license, i dont want to give a reason to skip me for the January class. (1400s are an easy shoe-in for January)... Should I just keep postponing these tickets until im sitting in my firehouse? Or is it the inverse and looks bad if i have cases pending?
    As long as your license will not be suspended then you have nothing to worry about. Just inform your investigator of what happened and what the results are when you finally get a result. That's it. I got my first and only speeding ticket of my life in the end February (end of the month ticket quota time for the cops..) so I told my investigator (I told him I'm fighting the ticket) and emailed him a pic of the ticket (bc he asked for it). He just said to let him know what the verdict is when I find out (I have a court date for a weekday in September which I will not be able to attend bc I will be in the academy and will not take a day off to go to court. I'll postpone this sht until the cop retires, I don't care lol).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDNY13 View Post
    I was reading that one the other day, it was kind of confusing I'm gonna go back and re read it again
    Don't even bother, it makes more sense when you are actually there and they go over it. I read the manual twice, front to back, before the academy started and I did the reading while in the academy too, and academics were no issue at all. A lot of stuff will make sense once you are there.
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

I'm sure you have all watched "Brotherhood Life in the FDNY" by now.

Forum Member

What don't you understand about the scba?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jky9xx View Post
    What don't you understand about the scba?
    I hope you aren't gonna start explaining the SCBA. LOL
    Yes, tools and equipment are sometimes difficult to get without physically holding it. But the other stuff like positions of firemen, tools they should be bringing for what type of building, and communications should all be things you should come in with some kind of understanding. That's why I said read, especially truck operations and engine operations.
    Last edited by FFwnt2b; 06-27-2014 at 04:27 PM.
    J0hnnyb0y, Spiderneck30 and JDNY13 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    I hope you aren't gonna start explaining the SCBA. LOL
    Yes, tools and equipment are sometimes difficult to get without physically holding it. But the other stuff like positions of firemen, tools they should be bringing for what type of building, and communications should all be things you should come in with some kind of understanding. That's why I said read, especially truck operations and engine operations.
    Just testing the thread. No post in over 20 hours even on a weekend seems weird.
    JDNY13 likes this.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Just testing the thread. No post in over 20 hours even on a weekend seems weird.
    I was thinking the same thing, figured the thread was down. In other news, the proof of residency for Administration Day has to be within the last 3 months right? I haven't gotten a bank statement in a while, and my last credit card statement was about 3 months ago.

Forum Member

No need to test. People have a life and obligations besides a Internet forum.

Thread Information