Like Tree10633Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    Yea he's harnessed in. They harness everyone on arial laddrs, no?
    You are harnessed in when you are stop climbing, not while climbing.

Forum Member

Anyone else found Chapter 8 (Building Construction) to be way easier than they thought? And the "Communications" chapter is easy to grasp when you listen to actual radio chatter online. I probably listened to every FDNY "MAYDAY" video on Youtube this morning.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Finally got my medical letter! I'm scheduled for 7/18. Did anyone claim veteran disability on the medical form? Or is anyone otj or pass the medical with veteran disability compensation?

Forum Member

can we do that ladder climb day one?

Forum Member

Anyone have an idea how far down the list they are for initial intake/CPAT scheduling?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    can we do that ladder climb day one?
    Only if they promise to backfill

Forum Member

Just picked up at dollar used copy of the encyclopedia of knots and ropework. Hope that proves useful

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nptks View Post
    Anyone have an idea how far down the list they are for initial intake/CPAT scheduling?
    Pretty sure I was one of the last people from the last round of packets. They may have gotten like 100 #s beyond me.
    nptks likes this.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    if I had to choose between a 109 ft climb while hooked in to the safety harness the whole time or a shorter climb, carrying 2 tools and a saw, while not hooked in I'll take the 109 ft climb every time.
    He was not hooked in the whole time, just at the end. You are also required to climb the aerial with the roof FF tools (halligan, halligan hook, and the life saving rope or saw) to the roof of a building in the academy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Its not the climbing tho, im talking about that stunt he pulled at the top. We dont have to lean back like that do we? If so then yea im scared. But u said the climb isnt completely vertical so i guess itll be ok. As far as the height itself, the DI said we have to climb 6 stories. If hes talkin about climbing "Building 1" then thats not bad at all, especially since its not completely vertical. Im an electrician right now so climbing extension ladders with heavy power tools is a norm. I just dont know about climbing 109 ft and then leaning back like that lol
    MM did a good job at not telling us what goes on at the rock when I was in your position. You'll do things there you never thought you would do, or COULD do for that matter. I understand now and value why MM was so secretive about the whole thing... Just like pulling up to a fire, you don't know what to expect until you get there... So just get there... Feel me?

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    We get sworn in on the 7th? I thought that was the 14th?
    You get sworn in on your first day of the academy, NOT admin day. Admin day is paperwork and squad assignments and your first roll call. That's really it... Bring lunch

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USA2000 View Post
    Stupid question and im pretty sure someone answered it before. How are the bunker gear knee pads. My left knee gives me problems at times (bursitis) and I just want to make sure I protect it since we will be on our knees most of the time. I have volleyball knee pads and was wondering if can double up on them or whether one set is enough paired with the built in knee pads in the bunker gear pants.
    1st off not a stupid question at all. The knee pads in your bunker gear provide little protection at best especially if you have an existing injury. You should be fine with ONE set of volleyball style kneepads. It will be very tight if you double up with bunker gear and would severely restrict your movement. (Not to mention the fact that you will barely have enough time to get the first pair on with the DI's breathing down your neck) I used Mizumo kneepads during evolutions and they worked great. I wouldn't bother with them for FST. Inside tip: If your are issued a pair of bunker pants with the snap on kneepads you can stuff your volleyball kneepads right in-between the bunker pants and the bunker kneepads. This ended up saving me a lot of time getting dressed since i didn't have to worry about taking my kneepads on and off between classes.
    bkopie and FFleak like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    What are you scared? LOL
    You do climb that but not totally vertical. You must climb it with tools, saws, and the mask. To be honest, the portable 35ft is more difficult when they have you climb all the way to the top of that.
    FFwnt2b is right… the 35' climb is a lot scarier than the aerial climbs you do at The Rock. They may make you do a leg lock and lean back on portables (24' and 35') but not the aerial. FYI… FDNY members climb ladders with hands on the rails not rungs and you won't be harnessed in so if you slip you will be taking the express down. Do yourself a favor and stop watching these buff videos. You're going to end up scaring yourself to death for no reason. You will be climbing ladders, sliding off buildings, doing blacked out searches, confined space mask confidence drills and all kinds of other crazy stuff so much that after a while you will do it without batting an eye. Just becomes repetition. No matter what challenge you face in the academy just get it done and don't quit or make excuses... you may regret it for the rest of your life. "Best job in the world!!!"

Forum Member

Default Socks

I ordered long cotton black sport socks for the academy, because of everything I've heard about the boots ripping into your legs after a while if they are not covered. But I tried the socks on last night and they go up to my knees and are pretty uncomfortable. I'm used to wearing ankle socks.

Do they have to go up that far? Or should I just send these back and look for ones that are a tad shorter, maybe up to my mid-calf muscle? Just looking for some suggestions, thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DoTheWork View Post
    Do yourself a favor and stop watching these buff videos. You're going to end up scaring yourself to death for no reason. !"
    Thank you

The climbs look needlessly risky. Haven't found one like it for the fdny

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    Thank you

The climbs look needlessly risky. Haven't found one like it for the fdny
    The firefighter in the Chatanooga video is harnessed and on a belay the entire time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jremNY View Post
    The firefighter in the Chatanooga video is harnessed and on a belay the entire time.
    Then that makes that video even more different than the training at the rock.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MESAman View Post
    I ordered long cotton black sport socks for the academy, because of everything I've heard about the boots ripping into your legs after a while if they are not covered. But I tried the socks on last night and they go up to my knees and are pretty uncomfortable. I'm used to wearing ankle socks.

Do they have to go up that far? Or should I just send these back and look for ones that are a tad shorter, maybe up to my mid-calf muscle? Just looking for some suggestions, thanks.
    I heard others talking about getting cut by the boots before I went in but neither me nor anyone in my squad ever had that problem. I wore mid cut socks and was fine. Wear what's comfortable and if you have a problem you can always switch into longer socks. I think a bigger concern than getting cut by the boots is getting MRSA, athletes foot, fungal infection etc… Many of your engine ops evolutions will have you laying in puddles of water operating hose lines. It's going to get disgusting after a while putting your feet into soaking wet smelly boots. Keep several pairs of socks in your locker and a can of lysol in your bunker locker as well. Midway through I bought a pair of "Seal Skin" waterproof socks that helped out a lot. Hope this helps.
    FFleak likes this.

Forum Member

@DoTheWork Thank you for good information.

Forum Member

Just shave your heads and stop worrying about it. I do it every day in the shower because I'm losing hair and it takes 3 minutes. What's the big deal.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    No big deal. Just becuz im not totally amped about leanin back 109ft in the air doesnt mean its a big deal or that i wouldnt do it if i had to. I wasnt totally excited about everything we did in the Army, but i did it.
    They opened action park back up or are about to. The **** they have there is prob more dangerous. Who's down to go?
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

Just got a run letter today for July 9th

I'm between 1325-1335.

Anyone know how missing orientation day works? Like will they have another one for guys who got the letter late or something
    My1Goal, grizzle, JDNY13 and 1 others like this.

Forum Member

Hey guys, I have a question regarding lunch for both the academy and administration day. First off, will we be able to put stuff into a refrigerator on admin day or should we just back something we could eat warm? Also, are we supposed to brown bag it in the Academy or can we bring a lunch cooler? I don't want to show up with a teenage mutant ninja turtle lunch box and look like an idiot on the first day lol.
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedAmbition View Post
    Hey guys, I have a question regarding lunch for both the academy and administration day. First off, will we be able to put stuff into a refrigerator on admin day or should we just back something we could eat warm? Also, are we supposed to brown bag it in the Academy or can we bring a lunch cooler? I don't want to show up with a teenage mutant ninja turtle lunch box and look like an idiot on the first day lol.
    I think you'll be fine as long as you're not takig up a ton of room, get one of the soft cooler bags that's my plan
    Exam: 2000
    List: 7xx
    Intake: 9/26
    Psych: 10/11
    Medical: 10/22
    Oral psych 11/04
    Cpat 11/04

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by antmdog View Post
    Just got a run letter today for July 9th

I'm between 1325-1335.

Anyone know how missing orientation day works? Like will they have another one for guys who got the letter late or something
    Good for you, bro. Just squeaking in lol. Keep us posted on how many people are there.
    FFleak, antmdog and MikeLarryM35 like this.
    Score: 102
    List#: 11xx
    Intake Interview: Oct 29, 2013
    CPAT: Nov 9, 2013
    Psych: Jan 25, 2014
    Med: Jan 29, 2014
    Run Letter: June 18, 2014
    Run Date: June 25, 2014
    Academy Start Date: July 14, 2014

Forum Member

if everyone else got sworn in and you jus got a run letter then, you and small handful of other guys are the backfill. you will go through, the same process like everyone else did, just a little bit faster, because once you pass the run you need to run to fort rotten and get your uniforms and whatnot. if i remember correctly.

Thread Information