Like Tree9967Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    All high school questions, how many friends you know etc.....are not scored. Everything else is. Vids reading comp, it's either you got right or you got it wrong period. Some were partial credIt, well Atleast my test. Personality Q's, two were full credit, on some. The rest were partial credit. Guys don't worry, the most points goes for the personality Q's. The second highest is the vid Q's. And reading comp is 1/3 of a point maybe or according to the vulcans. Personality highest points, videos medium points, reading comprehension lowest points. Once again all according to the vulcans, not word fOr word but I got the point from what they said at the tutoring nights.
    why would the test make personality question the most points? the nicest person in the world aint gonna be the best firefighter. I hope your information is wrong.

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay513 View Post
    why would the test make personality question the most points? the nicest person in the world aint gonna be the best firefighter. I hope your information is wrong.
    Unfortunately it is, not according to me, but according to the vulcans.....they said this would be the most important portion of the test. if I were anyone I would go by what they are saying. They made it clear at there tutoring prep sessions that they believe this will be the most important portion of the exam. All I'm saying is that list numbers will speak for themselves. If you protest make sure it makes sense Thats all I'm saying.

Forum Member

Hey i am a little behind on the whole Review/Protest sessions, but can some one explain tome how I would go about signing up for it? Is this the website https://candidate.psiexams.com/catal...g_details.jsp?

Forum Member

Does anyone know about the academy? I heard it was as tough mentally as it is physically. This test doesn't sound like a good indicator of how people will do in the academy itself. I know firefighting isn't rocket science, but it sure is a lot of science. Especially for the chauffeurs.

Forum Member

not scoring those Q's makes sense and I'm actually glad to hear that, but if they weren't going to score those Q's they def shouldn't have been in a timed section where you had to ration your time with other Q's that do count towards your overall score. Unless some how they're going to say the unscored Q's are used in factoring tie breakers or something.

Forum Member

Im heading out to BK in a few for the protest review. I'm feeling just as nervous as I did the day of the actual exam lol. This can either be a great day, do good on the exam, Rangers win, and my fantasy Baseball team has a good day. Or a horrible day, do bad on the exam, Rangers lose, and my fantasy Basebal team sucks it up lol. Thank God there is a liquor store as soon as I get off the train, I might need a drink today lol.

Forum Member

Hey Skav.......Not sure if you get your residency credits....but if you got 6 wrong on the vid and reading comp....and about 12 on the personality,,, I do not think that is gonna be good enough for the top 4 to 5k..... I took mine yesterday and did very well,,, but there are definitely some Q's that needed to be protested ,,,, I can think of 2 questions right now that are TOTAL BS.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Im heading out to BK in a few for the protest review. I'm feeling just as nervous as I did the day of the actual exam lol. This can either be a great day, do good on the exam, Rangers win, and my fantasy Baseball team has a good day. Or a horrible day, do bad on the exam, Rangers lose, and my fantasy Basebal team sucks it up lol. Thank God there is a liquor store as soon as I get off the train, I might need a drink today lol.
    I reached rock bottom with stressing over this test. I finally convinced myself at this point there's nothing more to do, if it's meant to be all the work put in to the exam will pay off. Best of luck, let us know how you did.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33017 View Post
    Hey Skav.......Not sure if you get your residency credits....but if you got 6 wrong on the vid and reading comp....and about 12 on the personality,,, I do not think that is gonna be good enough for the top 4 to 5k..... I took mine yesterday and did very well,,, but there are definitely some Q's that needed to be protested ,,,, I can think of 2 questions right now that are TOTAL BS.

IMO, it's no ones place to tell anyone their dream is dead. You may be right (or wrong), but there are a lot of variables left, and I just don't see how this is productive. Just my .02

Forum Member

same here.... I protested 2 questions...I wonder if we had the same test and protested the same questions because thats how I felt when I seen mine haha

I got 2 wrong total in the video portion... but the personality section I have a lot of PC but more FC than PC

Forum Member

Maybe your right but, I put my info out there so that everyone can comPare themselves to me. It also depends on how people did on the exam as a whole. Atleast for my exam I didn't protest anything because there was nothing to protest. Maybe on some of your exams they give you room to wiggle but not on mine for sure.
    MFES likes this.

Forum Member

Maybe your right but, I put my info out there so that everyone can comPare themselves to me. It also depends on how people did on the exam as a whole. Atleast for my exam I didn't protest anything because there was nothing to protest. Maybe on some of your exams they give you room to wiggle but not on mine for sure.
    Skav, keep your head up. No ones knows what's going to happen. What if they don't even hire in a specific rank order or there's some sort of lottery or some other foolishness thought up to hire people. You took the test and thats the important part. Like they say, you took the first step unlike however many other people that signed up and didn't even show. It's like that throughout the entire process. They call at least 800 and out of eight they get about 300.
    Skavenger85 likes this.

Forum Member

Sorry ,,,, was just tryin to be a bit realistic......but your right ....who knows......They probably wont even use this test bc the judge wont get the results he wants.......unless blacks have their test scored differently than whites or there ar ejust quotas mandated.......i dont see how this is any different than 2007.....the test might be a bit different ,,,,but results will be similar

The definition of insanity is the doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.......I think Gaurafis should take a page from Mr Einstein and rethink his ideas on everything,,,because he will soon realize how he tarnished the lives of so many of us,,,,everyone,,,minorities,,, whites,,, he has cast a shadow over everything.

Forum Member

All I can say is, I hoPe I get to see the next phase of hiring Atleast. I've trained for many months and if I took the physical today as hungover as Iam, I guarantee I'll pass with the first practice run. Everyone keep a cool head when you review your test. If you see a lot of wrong answer don't get discouraged just take a good look at the guy next to you. Trust me he may have done worse than. Good luck everyone and happy mothers day to all your mothers. Keep training and keep trying, see you all june 5 and also may 20th at the ems conference at THE ROCK!!!

Forum Member

Just got back from the review and I gotta say I'm feeling pretty good right now. I got 2 of the information section questions wrong, both were reading comprehension questions. I protested one of them because I thought it was really poorly worded and I stated my case and I think I have a good case. The other one was tricky but I should have caught it so I didn't protest that one. As for the personality questions I got 6 partial credits and full credit for the rest. Out of the partial credit questions I protested one of them because I thought it was an incredibly unfair question. But I'm feeling pretty good right now
    HopefulFF likes this.

Forum Member

I bet more than half of the people who show up fail the Cpat the first time.
    no one knows what is a decent amount wrong YET, it was kinda a bad comment, although I can tell you didn't mean it maliciously and actually the opposite.
    IMO there a many more obstacles for the people who will get perfect written scored to pass.
    For Instance, I have come across at least like 10 people who's mommy signed them up for the test after hearing about it on the news or in the chief. We will just have to see who turns up ready for the other reqs

But I will also be nervous if I was to get many wrong.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 05-12-2012 at 09:59 PM.

Forum Member

I have a feeling I will be protesting about 2 of the Reading comp questions at least. There was one or two times that I couldn't choose between two answers because they both didn't seem specific to the passage despite understanding the passage extremely well.

A question for you guys already at the review. If strongly agree is the right answer and I picked agree, is that partial credit or full credit?

Forum Member

Any ideas when they are going to post the list?

Forum Member

Unfortunately it is, not according to me, but according to the vulcans.....they said this would be the most important portion of the test. if I were anyone I would go by what they are saying. They made it clear at there tutoring prep sessions that they believe this will be the most important portion of the exam. All I'm saying is that list numbers will speak for themselves. If you protest make sure it makes sense Thats all I'm saying.
    Why does everyone take what the vulcans say as truth?
    I don't even think Dcas knows how this test is gonna be scored yet..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PHHC08 View Post
    Does anyone know about the academy? I heard it was as tough mentally as it is physically. This test doesn't sound like a good indicator of how people will do in the academy itself. I know firefighting isn't rocket science, but it sure is a lot of science. Especially for the chauffeurs.
    From what I know from a buddy, it's a lot of work. A lot of working out and a lot a lot of studying . You have to pass all tests with a certain grade. If you fail they give you one more shot, if you fail then they make you resign. So if your a good student, the better you'll do. Also your athletic ability helps.
    Everyone should be doing some sort of working out. The more intense the better. Do a lot of high intensity interval training and then on your off days just go jogging. If your a fatty, start to lose weight so you don't drop out of the runs

Forum Member

Hey look at this guy shooting down someone's hopes and dreams.
    As I just said, no one knows what method is being used for test scoring. I don't think you should be the bearer of bad news for a test that has not been graded yet

Forum Member

Sorry ,,,, was just tryin to be a bit realistic......but your right ....who knows......They probably wont even use this test bc the judge wont get the results he wants.......unless blacks have their test scored differently than whites or there ar ejust quotas mandated.......i dont see how this is any different than 2007.....the test might be a bit different ,,,,but results will be similar

The definition of insanity is the doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.......I think Gaurafis should take a page from Mr Einstein and rethink his ideas on everything,,,because he will soon realize how he tarnished the lives of so many of us,,,,everyone,,,minorities,,, whites,,, he has cast a shadow over everything.
    Not,blacks but Minorities..could be a lot of Asians who passed the test

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Just got back from the review and I gotta say I'm feeling pretty good right now. I got 2 of the information section questions wrong, both were reading comprehension questions. I protested one of them because I thought it was really poorly worded and I stated my case and I think I have a good case. The other one was tricky but I should have caught it so I didn't protest that one. As for the personality questions I got 6 partial credits and full credit for the rest. Out of the partial credit questions I protested one of them because I thought it was an incredibly unfair question. But I'm feeling pretty good right now
    Hey tomfromqueens I have a question. Maybe someone else can shed light on this. Let's say you protest a question, and they find in your favor that the question was worded in a incorrect manner. Let's also say I get that question wrong but I do not protest it. If they find in your favor and give you credit, does that change my grade as well? Or is it just individual results?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bensonhurstlovesme View Post
    Hey tomfromqueens I have a question. Maybe someone else can shed light on this. Let's say you protest a question, and they find in your favor that the question was worded in a incorrect manner. Let's also say I get that question wrong but I do not protest it. If they find in your favor and give you credit, does that change my grade as well? Or is it just individual results?
    From what they told me at the site, if they change for one then they change for all who has that peticular exam number.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bensonhurstlovesme View Post
    I'm not sure, I think if enough people protest a question and the reasons are valid, everyone gets credit but I'm not sure you

Forum Member

Does anyone know how they will hire off the promo list this time around? After reading through the 6019 thread I was under the impression that they hire a portion off the promo list and a portion off the open competitive list for each class. Last class was about 75 off the promo list and 225 off the open list, according to the 6019 thread. But I was reading the join FDNY Facebook page and saw that the guy answering questions on there said that they will exhaust the promo list before hiring off the open list. Does anyone know if this is true? Hopefully he just made a mistake.

Thread Information