Like Tree9854Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kd44 View Post
    Does anyone know how they will hire off the promo list this time around? After reading through the 6019 thread I was under the impression that they hire a portion off the promo list and a portion off the open competitive list for each class. Last class was about 75 off the promo list and 225 off the open list, according to the 6019 thread. But I was reading the join FDNY Facebook page and saw that the guy answering questions on there said that they will exhaust the promo list before hiring off the open list. Does anyone know if this is true? Hopefully he just made a mistake.
    I asked about that same thing when I heard it a while ago and I was told it could happen that way but it shouldn't because EMS would be down a ton of guys even though some will be coming through the academy in time and so forth. I also would consider that fact of this lawsuit stuff and them wanting more minorities getting the job plus whatever may happen. If they throw this test out, I believe that one would have to get scrapped as well (worst case scenario). And I heard talk about a ton of EMS guys taking the test fresh out of the academy. Not sure if this is true but you need two years to be a civil servant and that's required to be promoted so who knows if the numbers of EMS Promos are even correct... Food for thought...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Truckie 1 day View Post
    I asked about that same thing when I heard it a while ago and I was told it could happen that way but it shouldn't because EMS would be down a ton of guys even though some will be coming through the academy in time and so forth. I also would consider that fact of this lawsuit stuff and them wanting more minorities getting the job plus whatever may happen. If they throw this test out, I believe that one would have to get scrapped as well (worst case scenario). And I heard talk about a ton of EMS guys taking the test fresh out of the academy. Not sure if this is true but you need two years to be a civil servant and that's required to be promoted so who knows if the numbers of EMS Promos are even correct... Food for thought...
    Ems is prepared to fill the lost spots. Since both are controlled by FDNY I am sure they took that into consideration. I know a guy who is in the ems academy now, there are two classes a day and night, I believe 200 each. I have another friend who is waiting to be called into the next class that goes in. I just received my list number in the mail a few weeks ago for Fdnyems. So my guess is they're taking into consideration all of the promotions and looking to fill the spots ASAP. The guys and girls being promoted don't have to go through the whole hiring process again, they just have to take the Cpat and get assigend an investigator. It depends when they got hired if it was a while ago they will have to re take their med and psych. But basically as long as they pass Cpat and don't have too many disciplines from FDNY , the promotees will get called first.
    And good point, yes they have to be civil service status for two years,Basically you must be off probie status to be promoted
    Last edited by bensonhurstlovesme; 05-12-2012 at 09:16 PM.

Forum Member

Just got out of the test review today- Everything went well, but I am definitely glad to have this stage over with.

To the guys that haven't gone yet- best of luck to all of you, stay positive!

Forum Member

Is there a grade difference between strongly agree and agree?

Forum Member

Does anyone know if they are doing any test reviews outside the nyc ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bensonhurstlovesme View Post
    We also must take into consideration that they will most likley hire people with squeaky clean records. If they have a pool of 41,000 listers with all different type of minorites i think they will get rid of people real quick.
    for example, lets say list number 1 had a spitting in public, or urinating in public summons ( a simple misdemeanor ) he will probably not be hired. they will get real strict with this so people like me who have a history of one disorderly conduct when i was like 15, wrong place wrong time, would probably kiss this job good bye.
    i wouldn't blame them if this is what they do. integrity goes a long way. so to those of you who lived squeaky clean lives, never got into a fight, never got a moving violation, WALK ON EGG SHELLS!
    to people like me who have a past of one silly misdemeanor, lets home this is not the case.
    unless its a serious charge from your past, they only really look at what you did once you took the exam. if you get charged with something after your exam date, there going to ask, why did you do that if you knew you wanted this job. and this job is looked at as being higher up in society as far as morals go.

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Quote Originally Posted by JSnewyork View Post
    unless its a serious charge from your past, they only really look at what you did once you took the exam. if you get charged with something after your exam date, there going to ask, why did you do that if you knew you wanted this job. and this job is looked at as being higher up in society as far as morals go.
    Do you know this for sure? I thought they looked at the past ten years of your life, like they do with nypd. Maybe someone who went through this process before could shed some light on this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    Do you know this for sure? I thought they looked at the past ten years of your life, like they do with nypd. Maybe someone who went through this process before could shed some light on this.
    this is what a firefighter told me. he also worked in the hiring dept in the past. im not saying they dont look at your past. but i doubt something like spitting will keep you from getting the job.

Forum Member

for the guys who went to protest already. what are the correct personality q's like.
    for example.

i never lie.

strongly agree
    agree
    disagree
    strongly disagree

would choosing disagree be full credit because your being honest in your answer? or are they looking for agree?

Forum Member

Ems is prepared to fill the lost spots. Since both are controlled by FDNY I am sure they took that into consideration. I know a guy who is in the ems academy now, there are two classes a day and night, I believe 200 each. I have another friend who is waiting to be called into the next class that goes in. I just received my list number in the mail a few weeks ago for Fdnyems. So my guess is they're taking into consideration all of the promotions and looking to fill the spots ASAP. The guys and girls being promoted don't have to go through the whole hiring process again, they just have to take the Cpat and get assigend an investigator. It depends when they got hired if it was a while ago they will have to re take their med and psych. But basically as long as they pass Cpat and don't have too many disciplines from FDNY , the promotees will get called first.
    And good point, yes they have to be civil service status for two years,Basically you must be off probie status to be promoted
    I just came out of the first EMS class of this year a month ago. We were the last class offered to take the promotional.
    There is another class that just went in late April and another 2 going in this year. They are running day and night classes that total 90 students. Not 200. Its basically 45 people day and night each. That will pretty much exhaust the remaining people who signed up on the civil service list I was on. There is already a new list as well that will probably be implemented next year. FDNY has def taken into account on losing many members to fire. Not sure on how many they will be promoting the first few classes but I can tell you there are about 1000 that applied for promotion. Take into acct that 400-700 will only be eligible after medical, cpat, etc. Thats basically one 1 or 2 full classes tops at the rock. Promotionals need to have 2 yrs on their belt from when they started the EMS academy. The last class before mine was about 1 yr ago. So its safe to say that majority that did file for promotion already have their time to go to fire. Just thought Id give some facts to any of those wondering. I know this forum is full of speculation.(That I do appreciate, just about the only source Ive got for whats going on since 6019 was thrown out)
    Good luck to everyone out there.

Forum Member

For the personality questions there is usually one or two that are full credit while the others are partial credit, there were no wrong answers.
    Bellestoria likes this.

Forum Member

Maybe your right but, I put my info out there so that everyone can comPare themselves to me. It also depends on how people did on the exam as a whole. Atleast for my exam I didn't protest anything because there was nothing to protest. Maybe on some of your exams they give you room to wiggle but not on mine for sure.
    They Definately look real deep. They ask you to tell them everything upfront and you should. A discon didn't stop me from getting through the investigation when I did it for 6019. If you don't tell them something they will find it and that usually is how you mess yourself up. As long as your an upstanding citizen you'll be fine. Just make sure to make copies of everything you send in when you get up to that because things are notorious for not being there when you know you mailed it.

Forum Member

I've been lurking for a long time, but rarely have any info worth posting.

Anyway, went in for the review yesterday. Since a few other people have thrown their results out there for comparison I thought I'd do the same:
    I nailed the first part of the exam, FC on everything. Personality however, 14 partial credits. I protested 12 of them, not just for the sake of protesting, but because I genuinely felt those 12 were either unfair questions, or that my answer was just as valid as the FC answer.

The thing that's tough at this point is I have no idea what those 14 mean. 14 of 80 seems like a lot, but then again it could only end up being one or two points. If the personality questions are each worth, say, .5% of your score and partial credit is 50% of the question, 14 wrong only ends up being about 3.5 points off. I also wouldn't be shocked if they do some sort of composite score for the whole personality section, and that's why there are no no credit answers for any of those questions. There's also the possibility that a rational human being reads my protests and realizes some of those questions and answers are completely ridiculous and I end up getting PC on only a few. Then again, they could just throw the protests in the trash and make each one of those questions worth a full point or more. There is reason to be positive. Nothing to do but wait, pray, and stay in shape.

Tom, 2/6 seems like a great result, congratulations. Between that and the Ranger game, you've gotta be wakin' up feeling good this morning.

Good luck everyone.

Forum Member

my email says the review starts at 8...was it the same set up as the exam? start letting you in at 730?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    my email says the review starts at 8...was it the same set up as the exam? start letting you in at 730?
    The review is set uP just like the exam, replays for the vids and so forth. I was allowed in like half an hour early.

MembersZone Subscriber

Jumpin jeepers batman:

I am glad that those that have gone for the review did well from what I have read. I know for those who had more than desired wrong should have nothing to worry about. I on the other hand being from out of state however have alot to be worried about.

I for one need the best possible score, that being 100 or in the high of highest of 90's. I have scheduled for a review but am not going to make it. So my worries will be at the highest because I will have no clue as to how I did.

Unless someone knows if I can get results from PSI if I call them? Any thoughts?

Otherwise If someone could enquire for me when they go to their review, that would help me out alot.

But until then I will keep reading and hope that the answers will come sooner rather than later.

Thanks all

MWR.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MIDWESTRECRUIT View Post
    Jumpin jeepers batman:

I am glad that those that have gone for the review did well from what I have read. I know for those who had more than desired wrong should have nothing to worry about. I on the other hand being from out of state however have alot to be worried about.

I for one need the best possible score, that being 100 or in the high of highest of 90's. I have scheduled for a review but am not going to make it. So my worries will be at the highest because I will have no clue as to how I did.

Unless someone knows if I can get results from PSI if I call them? Any thoughts?

Otherwise If someone could enquire for me when they go to their review, that would help me out alot.

But until then I will keep reading and hope that the answers will come sooner rather than later.

Thanks all

MWR.
    Well my man I for one believe list numbers will definitely speak for themselves. If I didnt have residency credit I think I would give up on thIs whole thing because of the amount of wrong and partial credit that I have. But then again who knows how EXACTLY they will grade it. Until then, my anxieties are extremely higher than ever before. Good luck everyone.

Forum Member

both of our answers are just speculation, but I know from experience that this is the case. 15 years ago they didn't care about this stuff. Nypd cops used to be hired with prior felonies and DWi. Not anymore. I use the nypd as an example because they used to use this same common sense your talking about. Now a days the economy is bad and everyone is trying to get a city job because of job security (pension, great salary, great promo opportunities). Especially with little or no college experience.
    Let me ask you , if you had a company, and your employees were trusted to go into people's homes, and make life or death decisions at the snap of a finger , and you had to choose between 40,000 people. Would you choose people with squeaky clean records or people with less then perfect pasts. Remember your hiring decisions are highly scrutinized and if you hire someone who commits a crime , the general public will say " you have prior knowledge that this individual has a prior history of open container and that wasn't a warning sign that they were gonna drink and drive and end up killing a group of kids?. "
    I know this sounds crazy and I don't agree with it. I think that people who have been though a little bit of drama in their life are more street smart and are more able and capable to cope with stress.
    But city agencies don't feel this way anymore, they much rather err on the side of caution. I mean logically I see where they are coming from. Do I think its fair, no but this is how every other job in the world hires.
    This city isn't what it used to be in many ways. All of the city officials turned into a bunch of p ussies and it ****es me off.

Forum Member

this is what a firefighter told me. he also worked in the hiring dept in the past. im not saying they dont look at your past. but i doubt something like spitting will keep you from getting the job.
    Also not true. Spitting is a quality of life misdemsour. Spitting shi tting and ****ing in public go hand in hand. Sometimes the captin at the hiring squad may have a petpeeve for spitting and not want anyone with that hired.
    I'll use the nypd again as an example. The new head of NYPD APD has a peteeve for public urination and petty theft. When it's time to sign through the new recruits the chief won't sign off any recruits with those priors.
    This is just info, I don't agree with it. I know people can and do change. I'm just saying things are different these days epically when they have such a large pool of diverse applicants.

Forum Member

Im very confident in my protested questions
    bensonhurstlovesme likes this.

Forum Member

Also not true. Spitting is a quality of life misdemsour. Spitting shi tting and ****ing in public go hand in hand. Sometimes the captin at the hiring squad may have a petpeeve for spitting and not want anyone with that hired.
    I'll use the nypd again as an example. The new head of NYPD APD has a peteeve for public urination and petty theft. When it's time to sign through the new recruits the chief won't sign off any recruits with those priors.
    This is just info, I don't agree with it. I know people can and do change. I'm just saying things are different these days epically when they have such a large pool of diverse applicants.
    Ok I read a lot of these threads from time to time, but rarely post. I'm not sure if the investigative process has changed that much in the short amount of time I've been on the Fire Department. Maybe they have gotten a lot stricter. I don't know but I find it hard to believe they are stricter especially if they are trying to recruit more minorities. Doesn't make sense to me. I have no idea what the NYPD does with hiring. I know at one point they were letting almost anyone be a cop. This is not PD we are not enforcing laws. With that being said, in the past each investigation was done on a case by case basis. They don't compare candidates and pull out everyone who has an arrest and put them on the back burner. Your not compared to the rest of the list and who is squeaky clean and who has minor offenses on their record. They don't discriminate for minor offenses. I'm pretty sure it's against the law. It goes by list number not prior arrests. I had a possesion of marijuana arrest and had no problem getting on with no stipulation. Half the guys in my firehouse were hired with a stipulation for DWI, public intoxication, petty theft, urination, etc. NONE OF US WERE DENIED EMPLOYMENT for minor offenses in your past as long as you provided a disposition of arrest, a written explanation, and did not LIE about. Be truthful because you never know what they will find out. For those with DWI and minor arrests they were put on a year or two long stipulation depending on the offense. What this means is they were randomly **** tested for a certain amount of time and could not get in any trouble or they would be immediately terminated. I can almost guarantee you no one has every been denied employment with the FDNY for spitting in public whether it's a "quality of life" summons or not. Ridiculous.
    Last edited by Takethedoor174; 05-13-2012 at 09:01 PM.
    MFES and Skavenger85 like this.

Forum Member

The review is set uP just like the exam, replays for the vids and so forth. I was allowed in like half an hour early.

thanks for the heads up

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Takethedoor174 View Post
    Ok I read a lot of these threads from time to time, but rarely post. I'm not sure if the investigative process has changed that much in the short amount of time I've been on the Fire Department. Maybe they have gotten a lot stricter. I don't know but I find it hard to believe they are stricter especially if they are trying to recruit more minorities. Doesn't make sense to me. I have no idea what the NYPD does with hiring. I know at one point they were letting almost anyone be a cop. This is not PD we are not enforcing laws. With that being said, in the past each investigation was done on a case by case basis. They don't compare candidates and pull out everyone who has an arrest and put them on the back burner. Your not compared to the rest of the list and who is squeaky clean and who has minor offenses on their record. They don't discriminate for minor offenses. I'm pretty sure it's against the law. It goes by list number not prior arrests. I had a possesion of marijuana arrest and had no problem getting on with no stipulation. Half the guys in my firehouse were hired with a stipulation for DWI, public intoxication, petty theft, urination, etc. NONE OF US WERE DENIED EMPLOYMENT for minor offenses in your past as long as you provided a disposition of arrest, a written explanation, and did not LIE about. Be truthful because you never know what they will find out. For those with DWI and minor arrests they were put on a year or two long stipulation depending on the offense. What this means is they were randomly **** tested for a certain amount of time and could not get in any trouble or they would be immediately terminated. I can almost guarantee you no one has every been denied employment with the FDNY for spitting in public whether it's a "quality of life" summons or not. Ridiculous.
    Okay well since this guy knows all the answers well go by what he says.
    Listen man your talking about a different time and era. There hasent been a FDNY hiring process in many years. The bottom line is they have fourty thousand applicants to choose from. List numbers don't mean anything when you can be dqed for character problems.
    I don't know what everyone's problem is on here. I never said I was right or wrong Im just talking about from what I know. This gentleman is talking about way back when days and not 2012. The last test was thrown out for being deemed racist. Times have changed my friend.
    When hiring starts you will see a lot of stupid disqualifications popping up
    How big was the list when you got called?
    Last edited by bensonhurstlovesme; 05-13-2012 at 09:13 PM.

Forum Member

Okay well since this guy knows all the answers well go by what he says.
    Listen man your talking about a different time and era. There hasent been a FDNY hiring process in many years. The bottom line is they have fourty thousand applicants to choose from. List numbers don't mean anything when you can be dqed for character problems.
    I don't know what everyone's problem is on here. I never said I was right or wrong Im just talking about from what I know. This gentleman is talking about way back when days and not 2012. The last test was thrown out for being deemed racist. Times have changed my friend.
    When hiring starts you will see a lot of stupid disqualifications popping up
    How big was the list when you got called?

HE went through the process, you, like the rest of us, are right now just a wanna be. You're doing nothing but filling this thread with horribly wrong info. If it's not an absolute fact, save it. No one needs opinions.
    River6019 and CableGuy516 like this.

Forum Member

Also if you saw on the NOE it states " : Proof of good character and satisfactory background will be an absolute prerequisite to appointment"
    AKA
    Ball is in their court, whatever they perceive as a action of unmoral character or unsatisfactory background is reason enough for a DQ.

Proof of good character isn't a guy who's gets caught driving his car drunk, that means the guy is a selfish idiot and should be no where near driving a fire truck.
    We all make mistakes, but that is a very selfish act.
    After all said and done, I hope those of us who have made mistakes in life and learned from them and moved on in life to do bigger and better things get this career.
    I'm not rooting for the negativity, I want us all to have a fair shot. I am just trying to give my perspective just incase they do go this route, no one will be surprised.
    I hope everyone gives their input so by the time the hiring process starts we will all be able to apply the knowledge and use it in our process.

Thread Information