Like Tree11284Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Lol So you do upwards of 200 pushups at PT at the academy a day?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gianni1028 View Post
    Between punishments and PT, heck yea lol. Not shot gunning them either. Slow and controlled. Pause at the top, pause at the bottom. Practice holding it at the top (back straight) and holding at the bottom (don't touch ground). Thanks to the guys in the classes before me for telling us to train like this. I did what they said and I'm getting through it and staying anonymous. Start now, guys. Don't be the juice bag that dies out after ten push-ups or guy showing up with a muffin top that can't run or do a few push-ups getting everyone pay for you, ya know??? Push-ups are the universal currency at the rock. Train now and make that money.
    Score: 102
    List#: 11xx
    Intake Interview: Oct 29, 2013
    CPAT: Nov 9, 2013
    Psych: Jan 25, 2014
    Med: Jan 29, 2014
    Run Letter: June 18, 2014
    Run Date: June 25, 2014
    Academy Start Date: July 14, 2014

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle View Post
    Between punishments and PT, heck yea lol. Not shot gunning them either. Slow and controlled. Pause at the top, pause at the bottom. Practice holding it at the top (back straight) and holding at the bottom (don't touch ground). Thanks to the guys in the classes before me for telling us to train like this. I did what they said and I'm getting through it and staying anonymous. Start now, guys. Don't be the juice bag that dies out after ten push-ups or guy showing up with a muffin top that can't run or do a few push-ups getting everyone pay for you, ya know??? Push-ups are the universal currency at the rock. Train now and make that money.
    Thanks for the great info man I appreciate it and stay strong man, congradulations on making it!

Forum Member

So how are the women at the academy holding up, they must be some tough as girls lol.

Forum Member

For those wondering about classes every 20 weeks here is the FDNY budget for 2015. There is no mention of the academy starting every 20 weeks.
    http://council.nyc.gov/downloads/pdf/budget/2015/15/eb/fdny.pdf

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gianni1028 View Post
    Not right away, but towards the end I'd say we definitely did somewhere in the neighborhood of 200+ a day. If you can do 100 a day now you're not in a bad starting position, cause you'll definitely be able to train up in the academy. Just saying, if you're going to shoot for some arbitrary goal with pushups, might as well aim high.

Forum Member

On the medical disclosure sheet, should pretty much everyone check yes under "alcohol use" unless you've never had drink before? Or are they looking for only abusers to check yes and explain?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    On the medical disclosure sheet, should pretty much everyone check yes under "alcohol use" unless you've never had drink before? Or are they looking for only abusers to check yes and explain?
    Abuse I believe. I checked no. Had no issues. I also barely ever drink though so I had that going for me. What's your list number again?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sffdnyhopeful09 View Post
    Abuse I believe. I checked no. Had no issues. I also barely ever drink though so I had that going for me. What's your list number again?
    Thanks man. I drink a beer maybe once or twice a year, if that. I actually really don't like alcohol. All it does is make me feel crappy an hour later and dehydrated the next day. And 1800's...

Forum Member

Cadence pushups and do front lean and rest all damm day. Sleep while you front lean and rest lol. http://youtu.be/vhwT5fC5Wqg

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    They should extend it. After all they spent a million + on the test. The dept needs the FF's and the I don't see who would be in the opposition.
    Civil Service exams have a two year lifespan, legally extendable for a further 2 years. There is no legal provision for extending the life of a list beyond 4 active years. A list maybe frozen for a duration, but that doesn't help...you can't process anyone while it's frozen.

Let's just move beyond this discussion. The list dies in 4 years. Period.
    vekdoggs75, And then? and bkopie like this.

Forum Member

Went for a run last night, and got winded earlier than I wanted. Then heard E 321 go on a run (their house is next to a park) Talk about motivation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle View Post
    Lmao. I bet you guys are gonna have a nice set of chesticles when you are done. I'm still working on position. I can bang out push ups but I extend my scapula at the top and hit my chest at the bottom. Also not sure how low my hands should be. I am one of the people you described above. Not much muscular endurance from training with heavy weights and lots of Deads etc.

Forum Member

Should I check Yes for contacts since I used to wear them but no longer use then since I got lasek surgery.

Forum Member

Thanks for the calisthenics advice guys. I been at the gym the past few months trying to build muscle & now gunna HIIT the **** outta my body instead. Also, are there a lot of pull ups at the academy too? requirements?

So can someone just clarify the stairmaster for me? You do 3 minutes on the CPAT with the weighted vest no monitor, right? Then comes the medical & you get your resting heart rate recorded, do the stairmaster for 5 mins with no vest & if it doesn't double you pass, & if it does double then you have to do it again for 8 mins with the vest & at that point it's just a matter if you can do it without stopping or DQing?
    Test: 2000
    Score: 100
    List: 32xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BklynFDNY89 View Post
    Thanks for the calisthenics advice guys. I been at the gym the past few months trying to build muscle & now gunna HIIT the **** outta my body instead. Also, are there a lot of pull ups at the academy too? requirements?

So can someone just clarify the stairmaster for me? You do 3 minutes on the CPAT with the weighted vest no monitor, right? Then comes the medical & you get your resting heart rate recorded, do the stairmaster for 5 mins with no vest & if it doesn't double you pass, & if it does double then you have to do it again for 8 mins with the vest & at that point it's just a matter if you can do it without stopping or DQing?
    You have the vest on for the medical also. If you heart rate doesn't double for 5 min, you pass. If it does double, you do it again for 8 min straight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BklynFDNY89 View Post

Medical-Stairs
    First a 3min and 20 sec warmup. No vest. Can not double your resting heart rate here.
    Then rest 5 min.
    Then back on stairs for 5min and 12sec with 50lb vest. Heart rate can not exceed (220-age)*.9

If you fail any of these criteria you come back within 30 days to re attempt this process again. However this time if you fail for heart rate reasons only they will keep you on for 8 continuous min with the vest. As long as you don't look like you're dying the doctor will pass you and you're done.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Civil Service exams have a two year lifespan, legally extendable for a further 2 years. There is no legal provision for extending the life of a list beyond 4 active years. A list maybe frozen for a duration, but that doesn't help...you can't process anyone while it's frozen.

Let's just move beyond this discussion. The list dies in 4 years. Period.
    Ok point taken. Do you think it will reach the original projected 8000s or still too early to tell.
    And then? likes this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Ok point taken. Do you think it will reach the original projected 8000s or still too early to tell.
    I'm gonna say it's too early to tell, but personally I think it will get at least very close to that.

Forum Member

I couldn't help but ask.

Forum Member

I couldn't help but ask.
    I pray... I am right near you on the list...

Forum Member

Any quits? Injuries? Crying today? You guys chest's must be real sore right about now

Forum Member

I'm sure this was answered awhile back but I forget. What are the hours you're at the rock? 6am - 6pm?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bkopie View Post
    You have the vest on for the medical also. If you heart rate doesn't double for 5 min, you pass. If it does double, you do it again for 8 min straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by sffdnyhopeful09 View Post
    Medical-Stairs
    First a 3min and 20 sec warmup. No vest. Can not double your resting heart rate here.
    Then rest 5 min.
    Then back on stairs for 5min and 12sec with 50lb vest. Heart rate can not exceed (220-age)*.9

If you fail any of these criteria you come back within 30 days to re attempt this process again. However this time if you fail for heart rate reasons only they will keep you on for 8 continuous min with the vest. As long as you don't look like you're dying the doctor will pass you and you're done.
    Awesome guys, thanks for that.

Anyone got an idea about pullup requirements in the Academy?

Keep strong to the guys going through it now. Tell yourself man the fck up & keep going, your body can take it so don't let your mind tell you you can't.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 100
    List: 32xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by test2000 View Post
    I pray... I am right near you on the list...
    I'm in the early 6400s

Thread Information