Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 932 of 1205 FirstFirst ... 4328328829229299309319329339349359429821032 ... LastLast
Results 18,621 to 18,640 of 24100
Like Tree9399Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USMC55 View Post
    Anyone have any pointers on the stairmaster? I am def out of shape for that and its kicking my butt..what level am I supposed to be setting it on when I train for the cpat? Just would like to congrat everyone that are going through the academy as we speak! dont forget us here in this forum lol...stay motivated guys and push forward!
    There are two ways to go about it. The way mentioned above and...

My recommendations are to keep the stepmill at 60 steps per min. Perform on the stairs 3 times a week with 1 day rest in between

(A) you can due as previously stated and start with a 75 pound weight vest or whatever ur desired weight is and lets say you started with 2 mins and each week add say 20 or 30 seconds. until you can do lets say 10 mins straight

(B) This is how i did it(doesnt make it better) You start with lets say 20 pounds, less or more depending on you and only you! You go for 10 mins straight. Each week adding 4lbs. Or however ur weight vest may work.

Im a big believer in not over doing in during this process to avoid injury. SOOO start ur training early so you can do a slow build up. Good luck
    Gheech likes this.

Forum Member

Took my medical today and failed the stairmaster portion. My resting heart rate was 61 so I wasn't allowed to go over 121 which I did by a few beats. Out of 24 people I think only three passed the stair master.

Also a word of advise I recommend against anyone of marking yes for seasonal allergies on their medical history. I thought something like that is so harmless but they are making it such a headache for me. Apparently if you have seasonal allergies during spring time with a runny nose and itchy eyes for a month or so you can have asthma. So now I have to prove I don't by taking an expensive test "Metacholin Challange Test". If the results come back with any kind of asthma I will be disqualified.
    Score: 102
    List: 11xx
    Intake Interview: Oct 29th
    CPAT: Nov 9th
    Psych: Jan 25th
    Medical: Jan28th
    Run Date: June 25th

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackooze View Post
    Took my medical today and failed the stairmaster portion. My resting heart rate was 61 so I wasn't allowed to go over 121 which I did by a few beats. Out of 24 people I think only three passed the stair master.

Also a word of advise I recommend against anyone of marking yes for seasonal allergies on their medical history. I thought something like that is so harmless but they are making it such a headache for me. Apparently if you have seasonal allergies during spring time with a runny nose and itchy eyes for a month or so you can have asthma. So now I have to prove I don't by taking an expensive test "Metacholin Challange Test". If the results come back with any kind of asthma I will be disqualified.
    for the stairmaster portion; how long do you stay on for? 3 minutes? and its with 50 pounds or 75? thanks
    LIST 6019-89*
    LIST 2000-18**

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bk60191983 View Post
    for the stairmaster portion; how long do you stay on for? 3 minutes? and its with 50 pounds or 75? thanks
    3 minutes without. If you pass that you get a five minute break and then go on for 5 min with 50lb vest. I didn't get a chance to go on with the vest. Going back tomorrow to retake the test. Have a date in mind to reschedule the stairmaster if you do fail. They make you choose a date same day.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackooze View Post
    3 minutes without. If you pass that you get a five minute break and then go on for 5 min with 50lb vest. I didn't get a chance to go on with the vest. Going back tomorrow to retake the test. Have a date in mind to reschedule the stairmaster if you do fail. They make you choose a date same day.
    and then what happens when you go for retake? what it is 8 minutes or something like that and y ou just to stay on the whole time?>
    LIST 6019-89*
    LIST 2000-18**

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bk60191983 View Post
    and then what happens when you go for retake? what it is 8 minutes or something like that and y ou just to stay on the whole time?>
    Yeah basically. Only wrinkle is that this time a doctor is there to watch and make sure you don't look like you're dying at the end. I had to go back for 6019 and no doc was ever there for me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Yeah basically. Only wrinkle is that this time a doctor is there to watch and make sure you don't look like you're dying at the end. I had to go back for 6019 and no doc was ever there for me.
    The mentioned why they have these standards now for the stairmaster. A few years ago someone had a heart attack in the academy during a run.

Forum Member

Anyone have any pointers on the stairmaster? I am def out of shape for that and its kicking my butt..what level am I supposed to be setting it on when I train for the cpat? Just would like to congrat everyone that are going through the academy as we speak! dont forget us here in this forum lol...stay motivated guys and push forward!
    Level 6 should be at the same rate as the medical and CPAT, 60 steps a minute. Depending on the model of the stepmill your using it may vary

Forum Member

I know there's a mode on certain nysc stairmasters. Mess with the settings, they have it as cpat

Forum Member

Thank you all for your responses! I will def work harder! I know it was mentioned a few threads back but should I invest in a weight vest?

Forum Member

Thank you all for your responses! I will def work harder! I know it was mentioned a few threads back but should I invest in a weight vest?
    absolutely.

Forum Member

Yes, look up zfo sports on eBay. They have an amazon store but for whatever the shipping was cheaper on their eBay store.

Forum Member

Thanks! Should I look into the 60lber or heavier?

Forum Member

I am sure you could save yourself a lot of money and just fill a backpack up to whatever desired weight (40-50 pounds). Unless you can find yourself a great deal on the vest, I would suggest this route (all guys OTJ I know did their training this way)...

Forum Member

Cold blood definitely has some good tips. Personally when I started on the steps, I was absolutely horrible. I tried starting with 50lbs on but I just couldn't do it. I started with no weight first, just to build up some endurance and develop a cadence with the machine bc I was tripping all over the place. If you got the time. Try 2-4 weeks with no weight at 60 steps/min without holding the rail. Start at 5 min straight and work up to ten min straight. That should build a solid foundation for you to start with the vest. And if you feel like it's too slow, go the next level higher. I believe in what cold blood said, definitely don't hurt yourself and plan it out to make gradual increases.
    List#: 11xx
    Intake Interview: Oct 29, 2013
    CPAT: Nov 9, 2013
    Psych: Jan 25, 2014
    Med: Jan 29, 2014
    Run Letter: June 18, 2014
    Run Date: June 25, 2014
    Academy Start Date: July 14, 2014

Forum Member

Thanks! Should I look into the 60lber or heavier?
    50 to 60 would be good. I trained with a 50lb vest

Forum Member

I would not go the weights on the back pack route bc it will make you very back heavy, causing you to lean forward on the stairs. Making it uncomfortable. Spend the money. Get a weight vest so you can stand up straight and train for what you will actually be doing. That's the best advice I can give.
    ffbam24 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle View Post
    I would not go the weights on the back pack route bc it will make you very back heavy, causing you to lean forward on the stairs. Making it uncomfortable. Spend the money. Get a weight vest so you can stand up straight and train for what you will actually be doing. That's the best advice I can give.
    You think it makes that much of a difference? hmmm. I use the backpack when I do stairs and things like push-ups and pull-ups and stuff. Not saying it is the most comfortable thing in the world, just couldn't see spending $200 for a vest...

Forum Member

I spend $80 on my vest on eBay, it was 60lb one. Check eBay.....

Forum Member

I would suggest the 80lb vest... Its something you will buy once and should never have to buy again.

If nothing else the extra money is worth not having to go down to metrotech for a 2nd medical and knowing that you trained well enough to not have to.

Thread Information