Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 933 of 1197 FirstFirst ... 4338338839239309319329339349359369439831033 ... LastLast
Results 18,641 to 18,660 of 23925
Like Tree9374Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackooze View Post
    The mentioned why they have these standards now for the stairmaster. A few years ago someone had a heart attack in the academy during a run.
    Yeah but pretty sure that guy had a pre existing heart condition. Wasn't because he was out of shape.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    I would suggest the 80lb vest... Its something you will buy once and should never have to buy again.

If nothing else the extra money is worth not having to go down to metrotech for a 2nd medical and knowing that you trained well enough to not have to.
    Ah ok.. Makes sense. Just from what I read, it seemed a weighted backpack was fine for linear workouts and the weighted vest was needed more if the workouts consisted of more movements i.e. - the Murph Workout (which is a great workout dedicated to the Navy Seal who wore a FDNY patch on all his missions)

I'll have to look more into it, and perhaps just spend the money on the vest as I could use it for other things as well.... $80 bucks for a vest though seems like a great deal. I definitely did not come across anything that cheap when I was searching! And yes, the extra money would be worth not having to do the extra trip to metro tech

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by test2000 View Post
    Ah ok.. Makes sense. Just from what I read, it seemed a weighted backpack was fine for linear workouts and the weighted vest was needed more if the workouts consisted of more movements i.e. - the Murph Workout (which is a great workout dedicated to the Navy Seal who wore a FDNY patch on all his missions)

I'll have to look more into it, and perhaps just spend the money on the vest as I could use it for other things as well.... $80 bucks for a vest though seems like a great deal. I definitely did not come across anything that cheap when I was searching! And yes, the extra money would be worth not having to do the extra trip to metro tech
    weight is weight you know? I had my car stolen and my weight vest was in it and for a few workouts i used weights in a backpack it hurt my back so bad it was unbelievable. just the bounce of the weight hitting my spine. awful! (maybe im just a pussy i dunno)

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USMC55 View Post
    Thanks! Should I look into the 60lber or heavier?
    I got the 70 LBS one but I maxed it out at 65 LBS and I passed the medical on the 1st shot.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle View Post
    I would not go the weights on the back pack route bc it will make you very back heavy, causing you to lean forward on the stairs. Making it uncomfortable. Spend the money. Get a weight vest so you can stand up straight and train for what you will actually be doing. That's the best advice I can give.
    I couldnt agree more with Grizzle..you should aim to replicate the actual exam you will be given to best trane for it..any other method just wont be as good, actually nowhere near as good

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USMC55 View Post
    Thanks! Should I look into the 60lber or heavier?
    I have a weight vest for sale PM me if your interested man

Forum Member

50 to 60 would be good. I trained with a 50lb vest
    For guys that trained with only a 50 pound vest at all times, considering the CPAT is done with 75 pounds instead of 50, did you feel those extra 25 pounds a lot? Like was it alot more difficult, or a major strain? Or was it because of like being so hyped and the adrenaline boost you got from the CPAT that it didnt really effect you much?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by test2000 View Post
    You think it makes that much of a difference? hmmm. I use the backpack when I do stairs and things like push-ups and pull-ups and stuff. Not saying it is the most comfortable thing in the world, just couldn't see spending $200 for a vest...
    Have you ever tried using a proper weight vest? No comparison to a back pack. You don't know what you're missing! Lol. Definitely will be a more pleasant workout for you, especially when you're on the stairs for extended periods of time. Make the investment. It's worth it if you want it bad enough.
    List#: 11xx
    Intake Interview: Oct 29, 2013
    CPAT: Nov 9, 2013
    Psych: Jan 25, 2014
    Med: Jan 29, 2014
    Run Letter: June 18, 2014
    Run Date: June 25, 2014
    Academy Start Date: July 14, 2014

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gianni1028 View Post
    For guys that trained with only a 50 pound vest at all times, considering the CPAT is done with 75 pounds instead of 50, did you feel those extra 25 pounds a lot? Like was it alot more difficult, or a major strain? Or was it because of like being so hyped and the adrenaline boost you got from the CPAT that it didnt really effect you much?
    It didn't make much if a difference to me. If you can MINIMUM do 60 steps per min for at least ten min straight with the 50lb vest, you will be good to go for the CPAT and medical. That's just my personal experience.

Forum Member

Have you ever tried using a proper weight vest? No comparison to a back pack. You don't know what you're missing! Lol. Definitely will be a more pleasant workout for you, especially when you're on the stairs for extended periods of time. Make the investment. It's worth it if you want it bad enough.
    I guess I'll have to splurge and give it a shot. I am sure the vest is more versatile and can be used for a variety of workouts (plus more comfortable). My back will thank me...

Forum Member

My friend wrote this up for his buddy cuz he got tired of answering the same questions over and over. I feel that way with this forum. If any info is wrong, well I didn't write it up so oh well I guess. Enjoy

The FDNY Firefighter Process

1. Investigation – Business Dress Attire

THERE IS NO ACTUAL INTERVIEW DURING THIS PROCESS…here are the items you will need. No photocopies, originals only. You may need more or less depending on your specific circumstances but if you walk in with at least this your investigator will be very pleased. MAKE A PHOTOCOPY OF THE PACKET THAT YOU FILLED OUT FOR YOUR OWN RECORDS, IT WILL COME IN HANDY LATER.

1. SS card
    2. HS diploma
    3. Birth Certificate
    4. W2 forms 2007-2012
    5. Bank Statements for the residency period (June 2010- July 2011)
    6. Credit Card Statements for the residency period (June 2010- July 2011)
    7. College transcript (still in the sealed envelope DONT BREAK THE SEAL.
    8. NYS drivers abstract
    9. Two recent pay stubs
    10. Most recent 5 years detailed earning statement obtainable from the social security office ($102)
    11. $75 money order
    12. Any mail sent to your house in the last 60 days (previous to your investigation) to prove you still live where you live.
    13. IF APPLICABLE copy of the any summons, convictions, etc along with their disposition from the court.
    14. Three references that are NOT family and NOT affiliated with the FDNY in anyway be it a desk job, firefighter, or retired. You will need their name and mailing address.

ITEMS 4-6 WILL SERVE AS RESIDENCY PROOF – OTHER ITEMS ARE ACCEPTABLE BUT MUST BE APPROVED BY YOUR INVESTIGATOR.

2. CPAT
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3fGVOl9dQ8

That is exactly it. Nothing else, piece of cake.

• Cpat Letter from DCAS – GYM ATTIRE
    o There will be two dates listed both of which are optional. No matter what day you go in you will go in, watch the above video, and you will be given a walk through of the actual test course. You will not run the course in a timed matter or with a vest on but they will let you go through each station. This will be your experience both days. It will come in paycheck styled envelope where you rip off 3 sides.

• CPAT letter from FDNY, training at the rock - will come regular mail and/or email
    o FIRST DAY IS PAPERWORK, OVERVIEW, AND PICKING WHAT DAY YOU WOULD LIKE TO COME FOR TRAINING. BUSINESS CASUAL
    o 2ND TIME GYM ATTIRE – you will run through the course but untimed and without a weight vest on
    o Every week after that is gym attire and you will run the course with weighted vest and timed.

• A few weeks into this you should receive your notification for the REAL CPAT EXAM FROM DCAS. There will be 3 dates listed. The first one you pass counts and it is not necessary to report any of the other days listed. It will come in paycheck styled envelope where you rip off 3 sides.

3. Medical - GYM ATTIRE
    You will complete…
    1. Blood test
    2. Urine Test
    3. Baseline set of vitals
    4. Hearing Test
    5. Vision Test
    6. Lung Capacity Test
    7. Oxygen mask Fit test
    8. Chest X-Ray
    9. FDNY doctor consult
    10. PPD shot
    11. EKG
    And 2 other stupid things I can’t think of
    AND THE STAIRMASTER…
    o Start off with 3 minutes on at 60 steps a minute with no weight vest. Your heart rate can not double the heart rate they took on you in step 3 when you first started the whole medical. 5 MINUTE BREAK THEN…
    o Should it not go over double you then put on a 50lb weight vest and go for 5 minutes during which your heart rate can not exceed (220-age)x.9
    o SHOULD YOUR HEART RATE EXCEED ITS LIMIT AT ANY OF THESE POINTS YOU WILL LIVE TO SEE ANOTHER DAY.
    o Return and do the 3 minutes again with no vest, rest 5 minutes. Then even if your heart rate is over the limit during that part you still put on the 50lb vest and must go for 8 minutes and be composed during and immediately after the exam. If you look like you are going to die then you may fail otherwise, if you make the 8 minutes you pass.

4. PSYCH – business casual
    Bring the copy of the your investigation packet because you will need to fill it yet again all your past employment history and such.

The psych is a ridiculously long, something like 500 question, multiple choice test asking you all sorts of nonsense multiple times but worded differently such as…
    o Do you love your mother?
    o Are you afraid of fire?
    o Do you see ghosts?
    o Do you associate with drug dealers?
    o Has such and such every made you mad?

If you are not crazy, you will not have a problem. If there is an issue they will contact you generally within a month or less to schedule an interview with you to see if you really are nuts or just misunderstood something. NO NEWS IS GOOD NEWS.

AFTER ALL THAT HAS BEEN DONE YOU ARE ONLY WAITING FOR THE RUN, WHICH IS WHERE I AM, GOOD LUCK!
    Exam 2000
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post

13. IF APPLICABLE copy of the any summons, convictions, etc along with their disposition from the court.
    Do you have to disclose summons that were dismissed ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    Do you have to disclose summons that were dismissed ?
    I had 2 summons from 7 years ago. They were both dismissed but I had the dispositions with me anyway. Peggy Quinn said that "if they were dismissed then it doesn't matter to them." I brought mine bc I had went to the courthouse to get them. They were mixed in my paperwork so my investigator saw them, but he saw it said dismissed and handed them right back to me. He didn't care at all. Basically, you don't need them lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    My friend wrote this up for his buddy cuz he got tired of answering the same questions over and over. I feel that way with this forum. If any info is wrong, well I didn't write it up so oh well I guess. Enjoy

The FDNY Firefighter Process

1. Investigation – Business Dress Attire

THERE IS NO ACTUAL INTERVIEW DURING THIS PROCESS…here are the items you will need. No photocopies, originals only. You may need more or less depending on your specific circumstances but if you walk in with at least this your investigator will be very pleased. MAKE A PHOTOCOPY OF THE PACKET THAT YOU FILLED OUT FOR YOUR OWN RECORDS, IT WILL COME IN HANDY LATER.

1. SS card
    2. HS diploma
    3. Birth Certificate
    4. W2 forms 2007-2012
    5. Bank Statements for the residency period (June 2010- July 2011)
    6. Credit Card Statements for the residency period (June 2010- July 2011)
    7. College transcript (still in the sealed envelope DONT BREAK THE SEAL.
    8. NYS drivers abstract
    9. Two recent pay stubs
    10. Most recent 5 years detailed earning statement obtainable from the social security office ($102)
    11. $75 money order
    12. Any mail sent to your house in the last 60 days (previous to your investigation) to prove you still live where you live.
    14. Three references that are NOT family and NOT affiliated with the FDNY in anyway be it a desk job, firefighter, or retired. You will need their name and mailing address.

ITEMS 4-6 WILL SERVE AS RESIDENCY PROOF – OTHER ITEMS ARE ACCEPTABLE BUT MUST BE APPROVED BY YOUR INVESTIGATOR.

2. CPAT
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3fGVOl9dQ8

That is exactly it. Nothing else, piece of cake.

• Cpat Letter from DCAS – GYM ATTIRE
    o There will be two dates listed both of which are optional. No matter what day you go in you will go in, watch the above video, and you will be given a walk through of the actual test course. You will not run the course in a timed matter or with a vest on but they will let you go through each station. This will be your experience both days. It will come in paycheck styled envelope where you rip off 3 sides.

• CPAT letter from FDNY, training at the rock - will come regular mail and/or email
    o FIRST DAY IS PAPERWORK, OVERVIEW, AND PICKING WHAT DAY YOU WOULD LIKE TO COME FOR TRAINING. BUSINESS CASUAL
    o 2ND TIME GYM ATTIRE – you will run through the course but untimed and without a weight vest on
    o Every week after that is gym attire and you will run the course with weighted vest and timed.

• A few weeks into this you should receive your notification for the REAL CPAT EXAM FROM DCAS. There will be 3 dates listed. The first one you pass counts and it is not necessary to report any of the other days listed. It will come in paycheck styled envelope where you rip off 3 sides.

3. Medical - GYM ATTIRE
    You will complete…
    1. Blood test
    2. Urine Test
    3. Baseline set of vitals
    4. Hearing Test
    5. Vision Test
    6. Lung Capacity Test
    7. Oxygen mask Fit test
    8. Chest X-Ray
    9. FDNY doctor consult
    10. PPD shot
    11. EKG
    And 2 other stupid things I can’t think of
    AND THE STAIRMASTER…
    o Start off with 3 minutes on at 60 steps a minute with no weight vest. Your heart rate can not double the heart rate they took on you in step 3 when you first started the whole medical. 5 MINUTE BREAK THEN…
    o Should it not go over double you then put on a 50lb weight vest and go for 5 minutes during which your heart rate can not exceed (220-age)x.9
    o SHOULD YOUR HEART RATE EXCEED ITS LIMIT AT ANY OF THESE POINTS YOU WILL LIVE TO SEE ANOTHER DAY.
    o Return and do the 3 minutes again with no vest, rest 5 minutes. Then even if your heart rate is over the limit during that part you still put on the 50lb vest and must go for 8 minutes and be composed during and immediately after the exam. If you look like you are going to die then you may fail otherwise, if you make the 8 minutes you pass.

4. PSYCH – business casual
    Bring the copy of the your investigation packet because you will need to fill it yet again all your past employment history and such.

The psych is a ridiculously long, something like 500 question, multiple choice test asking you all sorts of nonsense multiple times but worded differently such as…
    o Do you love your mother?
    o Are you afraid of fire?
    o Do you see ghosts?
    o Do you associate with drug dealers?
    o Has such and such every made you mad?

If you are not crazy, you will not have a problem. If there is an issue they will contact you generally within a month or less to schedule an interview with you to see if you really are nuts or just misunderstood something. NO NEWS IS GOOD NEWS.

AFTER ALL THAT HAS BEEN DONE YOU ARE ONLY WAITING FOR THE RUN, WHICH IS WHERE I AM, GOOD LUCK!
    Beautiful write up! EVERYONE NEEDS TO SAVE THIS RIGHT NOW! AND WHILE YOU'RE AT IT, ADD YOUR LIST NUMBER TO YOU FORUM SIGNATURE SO WE DON'T HAVE TO KEEP ASKING YOU WHAT YOUR DAMN LIST NUMBER IS EVERY DAMN TIME!!! HELP US HELP YOU!!! Thanks

Forum Member

Beautiful write up! EVERYONE NEEDS TO SAVE THIS RIGHT NOW! AND WHILE YOU'RE AT IT, ADD YOUR LIST NUMBER TO YOU FORUM SIGNATURE SO WE DON'T HAVE TO KEEP ASKING YOU WHAT YOUR DAMN LIST NUMBER IS EVERY DAMN TIME!!! HELP US HELP YOU!!! Thanks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmlXU4uK5rA
    vekdoggs75, grizzle and bkopie like this.

Forum Member

Can someone please give me the address of where you take the DCASS physical. I lmisplaced my DCAS orientation letter

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd0pe View Post
    can someone please give me the address of where you take the dcass physical. I lmisplaced my dcas orientation letter
    *dcas cpat

Forum Member

For anyone who can't throw down about a $100 on a weight vest and has some weights available here's what I did. Instead of putting 50-60 lbs in a backpack and tossing it on your back, put 25-30 lbs in 2 different backpacks (for a total of 50-60lbs) strap one to your back and the other to your front. This helped out drastically for not having to bend over and throw out your back. Also you have the bonus of not having all the weight in one backpack that isn't designed to carry 60 lbs and rips.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    Hahaha, awesome!
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 46XX

Thread Information