Like Tree10557Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ovaltine_jenkins View Post
    I know. It's simply not true.

The importance of family/friend "connections" in the FDNY has been severely exaggerated, especially over the past decade since the beginning of the lawsuits. Coming from a family of FDNY members, I'm confident in telling you that I had to take the test, do well, wait for my turn, pass all the requirements, get through the academy, and got assigned to a house and my family connections meant absolutely jack. Candidate Investigations is under extremely strict orders not to share ANY information on ANY candidate with anybody - especially members on the job. Want your brother/dad/cousin/uncle to call and tell your investigator you're a good guy? Too bad - they'll hang right up once you say what you're calling about. Way too much on the line.

Even in the past, at it's very height, the most family connections did was let you know where you were at in the hiring process, when you would most likely be called, and if you had an extremely good hook maybe get you into a busy house (but not always - some guys I know with hooks to busy areas went to really slow houses, and others with absolutely no hooks got sent to some of the busiest companies in the city. One guy told me the story of how he walked into his house for the first time and the first question they asked him was, "Who do you know? Nobody gets sent here straight from the academy." Well, he did. No family, friends, nothing on the job - just got sent there).

But the idea that guys were just getting called up way ahead of their spots to get put in a class is bogus. Maybe it happened in the 50s or 60s or something, when the entire city was corrupt, but it is definitely not an idea even worth entertaining in the recent history of the department.

Understood

Forum Member

The importance of family/friend "connections" in the FDNY has been severely exaggerated, especially over the past decade since the beginning of the lawsuits. Coming from a family of FDNY members, I'm confident in telling you that I had to take the test, do well, wait for my turn, pass all the requirements, get through the academy, and got assigned to a house and my family connections meant absolutely jack. Candidate Investigations is under extremely strict orders not to share ANY information on ANY candidate with anybody - especially members on the job. Want your brother/dad/cousin/uncle to call and tell your investigator you're a good guy? Too bad - they'll hang right up once you say what you're calling about. Way too much on the line.

Even in the past, at it's very height, the most family connections did was let you know where you were at in the hiring process, when you would most likely be called, and if you had an extremely good hook maybe get you into a busy house (but not always - some guys I know with hooks to busy areas went to really slow houses, and others with absolutely no hooks got sent to some of the busiest companies in the city. One guy told me the story of how he walked into his house for the first time and the first question they asked him was, "Who do you know? Nobody gets sent here straight from the academy." Well, he did. No family, friends, nothing on the job - just got sent there).

But the idea that guys were just getting called up way ahead of their spots to get put in a class is bogus. Maybe it happened in the 50s or 60s or something, when the entire city was corrupt, but it is definitely not an idea even worth entertaining in the recent history of the department.
    Definitely agree with you brother... it is a lot harder now than it was in years past to utilize hooks on the job. Who you know might carry some weight as far as placement but def not hiring. I know a few guys that knew exactly where they were going well before the orders went out. On the same token like u said a few guys that thought they had hooks got sent to F@#k shops while members with absolutely no hooks went to A companies. Guess it depends on the caliber of the hook… if you got a crane you're golden otherwise it's a toss up. I was fortunate to get sent to a premier company that goes to work and even had Chiefs asking me who I knew. (I have absolutely no hooks whatsoever)
    As for people getting on the job with high list numbers because of hooks… complete bull. For the guy making those claims please post the list numbers so we can cross reference them with the department orders. More than likely it's two people with the same name... not uncommon for a list of 40,000. Too many eyes on the hiring process for that kinda stuff to happen these days. I know they say we're the bravest not the brightest but even the dumbest of us wouldn't risk getting jammed up and losing their pension just to get someone on the job.
    ovaltine_jenkins and bkopie like this.

Forum Member

I can relate and absolutely agree. 10 years ago this job was all about who you knew. Now a days, the way politics are, that doesn't matter at all. The people with the best law suits have the best hooks.. Pathetic but true. I did well enough in probie school (top 15) that I think that attributed to me being sent to a good and BUSY house but other than that I had nothing going for me.

Forum Member

I think I can safely say that I speak for anyone OTJ or in the academy now when I say if you can't handle the joke of the cpat and medical than you won't be able to handle day one of the academy. The cpat doesn't even come close to preparing you or giving you an idea of what the academy is like.

And the medical, all you have to do is 8 minutes on a stair master. 8 minutes.

You can't bull through that you wouldn't make it in the academy.

And believe me I am no muscle head or fitness junkie.

Forum Member

You've had since the hiring freeze to prepare for this day if not longer.

That's a good 4 years at least. No excuse.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Forum Member

I missed the FDNY phone bank call this morning. Anyone know what the call was for ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone have an idea when the next round of cpats start? Thnx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MDEL210201 View Post
    Anyone have an idea when the next round of cpats start? Thnx
    Yea I would like to know aswell.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 100
    List# : 30xx

Forum Member

This lady could have taken both OC and promo tests. I have friends who took both and ultimately was called off of the promo even tho he scored lower than he did on OC.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    I missed the FDNY phone bank call this morning. Anyone know what the call was for ?
    To go to a day with fdny officers, mentors, etc... On Randall's Island. It's 10 bucks to go and the money is donated to the fdny foundation. It's a day of activities such as playing sports.
    DannyD0pe likes this.
    Exam #2000
    #10XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jky9xx View Post
    You've had since the hiring freeze to prepare for this day if not longer.

That's a good 4 years at least. No excuse.
    Son you sound crazy. Everybody probally wasn't on it like you. That's all I'm saying. Think outside the box and be realistic. You probably wanted to be a firefighter all your life fam. Not being funny I'm just saying. You got dudes who just thought about taking the test just cause times is hard and they need the money to take care of their family. Yeah true everybody should work out but the reality is everybody dont. That's evident in the academy now with brothers falling out. You just can't expect out of thousands of candidates everybody would be on point fam it's just not right or realistic. You or no one should judge the situation of the next person.

Forum Member

These last few pages have been the worst pages of the thread, can we move on to something else?

Forum Member

how about some packets!
    List 26XX
    Score:100

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EKFCASPER View Post
    how about some packets!
    Now thats what Im talking about, id love that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by King_Williams_II View Post
    Son you sound crazy. Everybody probally wasn't on it like you. That's all I'm saying. Think outside the box and be realistic. You probably wanted to be a firefighter all your life fam. Not being funny I'm just saying. You got dudes who just thought about taking the test just cause times is hard and they need the money to take care of their family. Yeah true everybody should work out but the reality is everybody dont. That's evident in the academy now with brothers falling out. You just can't expect out of thousands of candidates everybody would be on point fam it's just not right or realistic. You or no one should judge the situation of the next person.
    I assume you have trouble with reading comprehension based on your inability to grasp what he wrote and your superb use of the English language.

All he basically said is if you have trouble with the CPAT or medical, than you are clearly not ready for the academy. He is giving advice to put in the work before you get to the academy, rather than just wasting a spot.
    My1Goal likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by test2000 View Post
    I assume you have trouble with reading comprehension based on your inability to grasp what he wrote and your superb use of the English language.

All he basically said is if you have trouble with the CPAT or medical, than you are clearly not ready for the academy. He is giving advice to put in the work before you get to the academy, rather than just wasting a spot.
    Ok then pardon me maybe I did misread or just simply misunderstood but in that case and if that's what the brother was getting at then my apologies for the hole spill my brother I was only speaking my part. No love lost and definitely always respect for all the candidates and this forum.

Forum Member

Please carry on.

Forum Member

I understand the point you're trying to make. There will be people who take this job for other reasons than their love for the profession and not everyone is a fitness freak. That's fine, the thing is if you're fortunate enough to get on this job do you want to worry about the guy next to you as you're crawling down a pitch black hallway because you know he is out of shape? Do you want to doubt that he can handle himself, handle himself and you if god forbid you get injured, or what danger you may be put in having to save him? There's a reason the physical standards of the academy are what they are, because when it could very well mean the difference between life or death there can be no compromising.

Forum Member

So then why should they get the job over some one who is prepared and can actually fight a fire? It seems like you haven't followed any of what has been going on for the last 4 years.
    You do realize they are censoring people, as in keeping them from exercising their 1st amendment right.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    That's fine, the thing is if you're fortunate enough to get on this job do you want to worry about the guy next to you as you're crawling down a pitch black hallway because you know he is out of shape? Do you want to doubt that he can handle himself, handle himself and you if god forbid you get injured, or what danger you may be put in having to save him? There's a reason the physical standards of the academy are what they are, because when it could very well mean the difference between life or death there can be no compromising.
    Exactly. When you're in a situation that is extremely physically demanding & you & your brothers' lives depend on your ability to endure the challenge, I'm sure you'd rather the guy who took his **** serious to be physically prepared rather then the guy who half-assed & barely scraped by. What's going to happen to that guy once training is over & you're not forced into PT every day? That's the guy who's going to be standing next to you 6 months out of the academy & lost all muscle & endurance. Point being, you're taking a job that your physical fitness affects your brothers just as much as it affects you. Don't be a liability to them. If you truly want to be a Firefighter, train to be an asset to your brothers.
    Test: 2000
    List: 32xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCwife70 View Post
    I did well enough in probie school (top 15) that I think that attributed to me being sent to a good and BUSY house but other than that I had nothing going for me.
    How many are in the "top" of the class? & How do they calculate that? Best academic test scores with best physical test scores?
    Test: 2000
    List: 32xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by test2000 View Post

Well I assume he (King_William_II) probably has less trouble with reading comprehension than you do based on the fact he scored higher than you....
    This forum is a relaxed environment, if he chooses to be relaxed and use such "superb English language" then let him
    Dont be such a C U N T
    k20dc2 likes this.
    Exam 2000
    Score 101
    List #14xx (MID)
    INTAKE ✓
    MEDICAL ✓
    CPAT ✓
    PHYCH ✓

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I understand the point you're trying to make. There will be people who take this job for other reasons than their love for the profession and not everyone is a fitness freak. That's fine, the thing is if you're fortunate enough to get on this job do you want to worry about the guy next to you as you're crawling down a pitch black hallway because you know he is out of shape? Do you want to doubt that he can handle himself, handle himself and you if god forbid you get injured, or what danger you may be put in having to save him? There's a reason the physical standards of the academy are what they are, because when it could very well mean the difference between life or death there can be no compromising.

Understood God!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLarryM35 View Post
    Well I assume he (King_William_II) probably has less trouble with reading comprehension than you do based on the fact he scored higher than you....
    This forum is a relaxed environment, if he chooses to be relaxed and use such "superb English language" then let him
    Dont be such a C U N T

Brother Mike it's cool bruh. It's peace don't let em bring you out of character man. I'm not tripping as long as its no disrespect we good. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. No hard feelings what's so ever. I'm well educated with a college degree from a very prestigious HBCU (MorehouseCollege) to be exact. Mind over matter and words over forums never bother me I'm not that sensitive lol. So how about those Knicks? Lol
    MikeLarryM35 likes this.

Forum Member

If you don't mind me asking what's a HBCU?
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Thread Information