Nobody in this forum in the 100s has received a packet. 100s start at 2200

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    Nobody in this forum in the 100s has received a packet. 100s start at 2200
    Score 100, list number 26xx hoping for a packet this fall

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DSNY2FDNY View Post
    Score 100, list number 26xx hoping for a packet this fall
    With your list number once you get your packet expect all steps of the hiring process to be finished in less than 6 months in preparation for July 2015. IMO

Forum Member

packets should be coming soon, as they usually give about a month heads up before the actual intake date so you can get most of the paperwork sorted. if the rumor is true, that they plan to intake the next batch of candidates in the fall, i would assume those packets are going to be on their way out soon.

Especially if you think that this next class will likely include candidates that have yet to start the entire process in the 2200's - might even reach into the 2300s or beyond. they always process more knowing the people on the cusp will be a lock for the following academy.
    Exam 2000
    score 100
    #24xx

not an expert, just reading these forums since 2043

Forum Member

Anyone do any actualy cpat prep other than just working out? Like cpat specific classes? I've seem a few but honestly financially am a bit tight at the moment, I've been working out with a weighted vest on the stair mill at the gym and running, lifting etc, but never actually did like a simulated cpat, I've watched videos of te course, seems pretty straight forward if your physically up to par, just follow the procters and conplete each station, I'm just nervous cause I want this process to go as smooth as possible, hoping just keeping my fitness level up is fine. Any tips?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    I gotta jump in here....even though i hate to even address this nonsense, but I have to. First off, no one was ever skipped, jumped or hired before DCAS (unaffiliated with the FDNY) reached that number on the OC exam and passed there information to investigators at FDNY. So lets stop the favoritism nonsense right now.

Next, I don't know how anyone can do anything except come down hard on those who showed up to the academy unprepared. You have kids? You work three jobs? NO ONE CARES. Physical Training at the Academy isn't to get you in shape, its to mold and prepare you for a different kind of physical exertion. All these reason for why you may or may not show up physically prepared are nothing more than poor, lame ***** excuses. Excuses don't cut it, ever. No one wants to hear them in the academy and no one wants to hear them in the firehouse, EVER.

People getting "hurt" and sitting around collecting a paycheck at HQ is a load of shyte. I watched guys CRY their way through the run because they were in such pain, but there was no way they were quitting, none. I've known people who had injuries, infections, rashes and strains who saw their personal Dr. on the weekend and quietly treated it because the thought of leaving the academy was too much to bear. We've got people doing that and then we want to make excuses for those who showed up unprepared????? Get the f$#k outta here.

With the exception of a verifiable injury, if they have to take you to the hospital, you should be fired, done. No more chances. No coddling crybabies with "excuses".

Lastly, this job is a calling and a lifestyle. If you took this test 'cause you needed the money or it was just something to do, please move on. There are plenty of people chomping at the bit to walk through those academy gates, kill themselves for 18 weeks just to spend a day working in a firehouse. We want people become one of us, change for this lifestyle and join the family. Not people who want to be "individuals" doing their own thing.

THIS IS NOT A JOB. You want a place to go punch a clock? There are plenty of other city jobs, this one's not for you.
    I hope that King Williams (AKA Levern Williams, which sounds like the name for a queen...lol) takes note of this posting by FDsouthbronxNY. This is what it's all about. Regarding not knowing what HBCU stands for, who cares? It has nothing to do with becoming a firefighter with the FDNY. Remembering what this acronym stands for is not important & not knowing it does not make a person ignorant. Forget about your college education. Try using proper English language instead of ebonics. You sound like a total idiot on this forum & will get eaten alive in the Academy & in a firehouse, if you make it!

Forum Member

any thought on the numbers on page 1170? good luck to all the guys in the academy now and everyone going through the process at the moment.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USMC55 View Post
    A little nervous!! Got my second stairmaster for medical this Friday! I am freaking out!! I have been training with 50lb weight vest on the stairmaster for about 8 minutes and 20 seconds but now that I think about it the stairmaster in medical seemed faster. Am i losing it? I am even contemplating on rescheduling my medical. *I have the stairmaster set at 60 steps a minute (level 4 on the one I use) but I am still a little worried. I will try it a little faster today and see how I feel!
    Are you nervous because you think you can't do it or you know you can't do it? If you are nervous just because then don't reschedule it, everyone was nervous the second time around. Remember, the only way you can fail is if you fall, go way over on the HR, or quit. If you are doing it with no problem on your own, you should be fine. Get it over with!

Forum Member

If you Fall of that's it for good right ? I asked this before but forgot the answer .

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DSNY2FDNY View Post
    Anyone do any actualy cpat prep other than just working out? Like cpat specific classes? I've seem a few but honestly financially am a bit tight at the moment, I've been working out with a weighted vest on the stair mill at the gym and running, lifting etc, but never actually did like a simulated cpat, I've watched videos of te course, seems pretty straight forward if your physically up to par, just follow the procters and conplete each station, I'm just nervous cause I want this process to go as smooth as possible, hoping just keeping my fitness level up is fine. Any tips?
    When you get your packet you'll get info about the free cpat prep course the fdny offers, take advantage of t if you feel you need to, I did and it can't hurt
    Exam: 2000
    List: 7xx
    Intake: 9/26
    Psych: 10/11
    Medical: 10/22
    Oral psych 11/04
    Cpat 11/04

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDNY13 View Post
    When you get your packet you'll get info about the free cpat prep course the fdny offers, take advantage of t if you feel you need to, I did and it can't hurt
    Oh nice, I hadn't realiEd they offered the prep course. That's great man. Thanks

Forum Member

Prep courses are helpful but don't pay for them. They're expensive and the stations at the cpat are no secret. YouTube them?

Also a key to the cpat is just taking your time.

The fdny started offering the cpat prep for free because the for profit companies were offering it. It's all in the name of fairness. You should do fine. The hardest part is going through the course after the step mill turns your legs into a little jello just gather yourself and go

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USMC55 View Post
    A little nervous!! Got my second stairmaster for medical this Friday! I am freaking out!! I have been training with 50lb weight vest on the stairmaster for about 8 minutes and 20 seconds but now that I think about it the stairmaster in medical seemed faster. Am i losing it? I am even contemplating on rescheduling my medical. *I have the stairmaster set at 60 steps a minute (level 4 on the one I use) but I am still a little worried. I will try it a little faster today and see how I feel!
    Bro, chill out. Get it together man. You'll be fine! Take a deep breath, your adrenaline will kick in and don't stop! You're very lucky to be in the position you are in. Trust me! Be a God damn beast on that thing for that one day!
    EXAM: #2000
    LIST: #34XX
    Score: 99%

Forum Member

Do you practice tries on he cpat Count if you pass?

Forum Member

Is there a particular order that the hiring process follows? I'm seeing through signatures that Intake is always first, but then the CPAT, Medical & Psych vary from what I see.
    JDNY was there a reason you did the CPAT so late or was that just how it happened?
    Test: 2000
    Score: 100
    List: 32xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Do you practice tries on he cpat Count if you pass?
    I believe so. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Forum Member

Question for those who know more than I do... I'm trying to work up to running ~5 miles at a ~8 min mile pace.

Which would help more? Running as far as I can at that pace, and slowly add distance, or running 5 miles at a slower pace, and slowly speed up the pace.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bkopie View Post
    Question for those who know more than I do... I'm trying to work up to running ~5 miles at a ~8 min mile pace.

Which would help more? Running as far as I can at that pace, and slowly add distance, or running 5 miles at a slower pace, and slowly speed up the pace.
    Do Both. You'll benefit greatly from interval training. Try cycling between 30 seconds of faster paced/sprinting, then 30 seconds of slower paced jogging. Do that for about 5 minutes. Run 3 minutes at a comfortable pace. Then repeat the 30 second cycles. After a week or two or whenever you feel it's too easy, up it to 60 second sprints, 30/45 seconds jogs depending what you're comfortable with - but push yourself.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 100
    List: 32xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    They ask for immunization to see if you've gotten your tuberculosis shot. If you can't provide proof then they will give you the shot and you must have it read by a doctor after 2-3 days.

You can't go over double your resting heart rate after the 3 minute warm up.

You can't go over 90% of your Max heart rate with the vest on after 5:12 minutes.
    Thanks brother.. I appreciate it. Just one more question, if I go over 90% of my heart rate a few minutes into the test do they have me finish the 5:12 or end it once it goes over the rate? Thanks again

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rush1982 View Post
    Thanks brother.. I appreciate it. Just one more question, if I go over 90% of my heart rate a few minutes into the test do they have me finish the 5:12 or end it once it goes over the rate? Thanks again
    They let you finish the test. If you notice your reaching your heart rate with a few moments to go (like in my case) relax, and go a bit slower... Try to gain your composure. Good luck!
    Test # 2000
    Score # 101
    List # 19XX
    Intake 3/5/14
    CPAT 3/27/14
    Medical 7/23/14

Forum Member

Thank you..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYgrad2012 View Post
    They let you finish the test. If you notice your reaching your heart rate with a few moments to go (like in my case) relax, and go a bit slower... Try to gain your composure. Good luck!
    Do you mean they let you go for the 8 minutes?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Do you mean they let you go for the 8 minutes?
    Yes. For the second medical they stop the machine at 5:12 if you are under 90% of your heart rate and you pass. If you are over at 5:12 then you continue to stay on the stairs for 8 minutes and you must not fall off to pass.

A little sample size of today's 2nd medical. 10 candidates redid the stairs and all passed. Some passed at 5:12 but most passed at 8.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BklynFDNY89 View Post
    Is there a particular order that the hiring process follows? I'm seeing through signatures that Intake is always first, but then the CPAT, Medical & Psych vary from what I see.
    JDNY was there a reason you did the CPAT so late or was that just how it happened?
    Your packet which includes the dates for your intake and CPAT prep at the rock is first. Medical, CPAT and Psych can come in any order. Once you get your medical date then you know you'll be in the academy within a year because the medical expires in 1 year.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BklynFDNY89 View Post
    Do Both. You'll benefit greatly from interval training. Try cycling between 30 seconds of faster paced/sprinting, then 30 seconds of slower paced jogging. Do that for about 5 minutes. Run 3 minutes at a comfortable pace. Then repeat the 30 second cycles. After a week or two or whenever you feel it's too easy, up it to 60 second sprints, 30/45 seconds jogs depending what you're comfortable with - but push yourself.
    Yeah, I just started doing that on Tuesday. Was doing 30 sprint / 30 walk, repeat.

Thanks.

Thread Information