Like Tree9519Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by billwill View Post
    Can they extend the expiration for the current list or they have to expire the list exactly 4 yrs from creation? I know NJ extended their firefighter list like 2-3 times.. why cant nyc do this?
    FDsouthBRONX said it wouldn't happen. Civil service law is for 4 years tops I think. Sanitation somehow extended it. I would imagine FDsouthBRONX hears stuff more valuable than out speculation, so don't bet on them extending it. I do however hope they choose to do back to back classes in 2015, it seems like it would save them money to do so.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

This is the truth brotha

Forum Member

Heard there is talk of larger classes to try n catch up with attrition etc

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by inthrewtheoutdor View Post
    Love this talk

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDEngine View Post
    So that means a filing date most likely in late 2015?
    Most likely, but could be early 2016 also. It all depends on when the test is. JoinFDNY says DCAS is tenatively scheduling it for 2015 or 2016, so it could even be sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    And will it be a year this time before they start hiring from it?
    I'd assume that depends on when the list is established vs. when this list expires.

Can they extend the expiration for the current list or they have to expire the list exactly 4 yrs from creation? I know NJ extended their firefighter list like 2-3 times.. why cant nyc do this?
    I think they can, but avoid doing so. I'd just assume this one is going to expire unless they announce otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by inthrewtheoutdor View Post
    I doubt that since only up to 2219 have packets, but anything is possible. Maybe later classes.

Forum Member

All of these speculative questions have two possible answers:

a) using common sense to answer
    b) there is no answer because it is pure speculation based on a friends' neighbors' dogsitters' cousin.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bkopie View Post
    All of these speculative questions have two possible answers:

a) using common sense to answer
    b) there is no answer because it is pure speculation based on a friends' neighbors' dogsitters' cousin.
    We are all neurotic and can't help it

Forum Member

3 weeks down 15 to go.

Forum Member

Did FST for the first time today...I really don't know what everyone was afraid of now. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't as hard as ppl make it either. Guys talking about they prefer PT over FST??? Are u kidding? Two hours of torture vs. 15 minutes of exciting activity? I'd do FST everyday instead of PT if they let me. Can't wait to do it again next week. You DO have to be in shape tho so by no means am I saying it's a joke.

P.S: My comments will reveal nothing unknown about the academy. I think everyone knows that we do something called FST.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDEngine View Post
    So that means a filing date most likely in late 2015?
    For this exam, filing was early 2012 with the exam a few months later. Fair speculation would be for a similar experience 4 years later, allowing them to activate the list and allow hiring to seamlessly transition from one list to the next. When the exam for list 2043 was given, it was Dec. '02 or so...and the exam for list 6019 was in Jan of '07. See a pattern?

As best I understand it; the law allows for a 2 year life of a civil service eligibles list. The city council may (and usually does) vote to extend for a further 2 years, but that's it. If you've seen or read about lists lasting longer, it was because it was officially frozen. They may use that list for 5 or 6 years from the day it was certified, but the actual USABLE life of the list was still only 4 years. If the list is frozen, nothing proceeds with regard to hiring, nothing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCwife70 View Post
    Yeah, well said. He did graduate with the last class and did resign just last week. Reason unknown but irrelevant. That's all I gotta say about that.

For all of you gentleman still posting on here while in probie school, not a good idea. MM told me this when I was in your spot so it's now my duty to do the same for you guys. This site was a tool for you to achieve your goal of getting hired by the FDNY. Your main focus now is probie school. Get in the books, get rest and get off this page. I'm sure you know full well now that whatever goes on in probie school should not be discussed here. MM gave me this same exact advice 6 months ago and I'm glad I listened. It would BEHOOVE you (you all know this word by now) to do the same. Eyes and ears open, mouth shut and you'll have a great experience in probie school.

-IJH
    I really have not heard anybody once mention that the academy procedures or whatever shouldn't be discussed with others (except for people on this forum who preach it that is...)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by antmdog View Post
    I really have not heard anybody once mention that the academy procedures or whatever shouldn't be discussed with others (except for people on this forum who preach it that is...)
    Minor basic facts that are already readily available to the public can be discussed (We do FST, PT, Academics, people get dropped, its very hard, somebody died, etc.,); there are/will be public videos on that stuff. But major specific details should not (who, when, how, names, procedures, locations, etc.,). Basically, if it's something that ONLY ppl in the academy are aware of, then you shut up about it. Things that ppl already know, have at it.
    Last edited by Spiderneck30; 08-01-2014 at 11:37 PM.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    For this exam, filing was early 2012 with the exam a few months later. Fair speculation would be for a similar experience 4 years later, allowing them to activate the list and allow hiring to seamlessly transition from one list to the next. When the exam for list 2043 was given, it was Dec. '02 or so...and the exam for list 6019 was in Jan of '07. See a pattern?
    Yes i do, thank you southbx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Minor basic facts that are already readily available to the public can be discussed (We do FST, PT, Academics, people get dropped, its very hard, somebody died, etc.,); there are/will be public videos on that stuff. But major specific details should not (who, when, how, names, procedures, locations, etc.,). Basically, if it's something that ONLY ppl in the academy are aware of, then you shut up about it. Things that ppl already know, have at it.
    Yeah I get that you guys feel that way - I'm just not sure what it's based on. I have not heard a DI or anyone who works at the rock for that matter say something like that.

Well I mean names shouldn't be mentioned obviously lol.
    Last edited by antmdog; 08-02-2014 at 10:43 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDNY13 View Post
    I don't get how people go through all that just to end up resigning...makes no sense to me

Some people are young and dont understand the great opportunity they have. They may also feel too overwhelmed and have never had someone yelling or screaming at them. They just gotta realize all that yelling and screaming is to teach them how to be the very best. If you cant take loud noises coming from a human mouth how are you going to take the fire, smoke, and gore in the real life situations...?
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.
    EXAM: #2000
    LIST: #34XX
    Score: 99%

Forum Member

Spiderneck...

You did it without a mask on, and at a slow pace as they guided you through the course and gave you tips.

I would not use this first time as any real judgement.
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by antmdog View Post
    Yeah I get that you guys feel that way - I'm just not sure what it's based on. I have not heard a DI or anyone who works at the rock for that matter say something like that.

Well I mean names shouldn't be mentioned obviously lol.
    If you haven't heard any version of "what you see here what you hear here stays here" you will, often. At the rock and at your house, if you get there. I remember hearing something along the lines of "you worked so hard to get here and experience this & you're just going to give away that information to an outsider for free?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jky9xx View Post
    Spiderneck...

You did it without a mask on, and at a slow pace as they guided you through the course and gave you tips.

Please tell me his post was not talking about FST after doing a walk through and not actually doing the course...

Forum Member

It has to be the walk through because this week was everyone's first time. Next week is with the mask on but not on air and the week after is the full thing.

Most of the guys didn't even get timed this week cuz they said there was no point in timing anyone because no one was REALLY doing the fst.

My guy was timing and told me I did very well. I was happy but I realize it's going to be way harder in the coming weeks, especially if it happens to be particularly hot/humid the day you do it

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kmart1 View Post
    Some people are young and dont understand the great opportunity they have. They may also feel too overwhelmed and have never had someone yelling or screaming at them. They just gotta realize all that yelling and screaming is to teach them how to be the very best. If you cant take loud noises coming from a human mouth how are you going to take the fire, smoke, and gore in the real life situations...?
    It's not just that, some things you don't know how you will react to until you do it. Some guys don't know they're claustrophobic until they're in a tight spot masked up. Personally I can't get mad at someone like that. Now someone that comes in woefully unprepared physically that's another thing.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Can someone guide in finding out what is covered vision wise ? The only thing I can find out is what providers we have.
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kmart1 View Post
    Te individual I was referring too already graduated the academy and was in the field
    List: 7xx
    Intake: 9/26
    Psych: 10/11
    Medical: 10/22
    Oral psych 11/04
    Cpat 11/04

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jky9xx View Post
    Spiderneck...

That's true of course but after the first run thru it is possible to get a reasonable estimation of what the full FST would be like. They even told us themselves that those who complete the run thru in less than 15 minutes usually only add an extra minute to their time. There were ppl who took longer than 18 minutes on the run thru and that's an indicator that they'll have real problems with full gear. But doing it in -15 minutes in spite of stopping and talking throughout the event is a pretty good indicator. That's all I'm sayin. An estimation CAN be made based on your initial performance. If it makes u guys feel better, then I'll simply post again after I pass the midterm event. So far tho, I didn't see anything on the course that would make me prefer 2 hours of pt over it. And I can't wait til next week to up the difficulty.

Just like the smokehouse, I see that guys exaggerate the situation a little too much. The fun and excitement of the academy far out weighs the difficulty of it. At least for me and my squad anyway. We haven't lost anyone yet. We love that place. Sorry for not crying.
    Last edited by Spiderneck30; 08-02-2014 at 04:36 PM.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    If you haven't heard any version of "what you see here what you hear here stays here" you will, often. At the rock and at your house, if you get there. I remember hearing something along the lines of "you worked so hard to get here and experience this & you're just going to give away that information to an outsider for free?"

Please tell me his post was not talking about FST after doing a walk through and not actually doing the course...
    Yes, it was. I went thru the initial course and made a reasonable assessment based on how I performed. My instructor also made the same assessment and thanked me for showing up in shape. So what?
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Spider. I know you read the manual over the winter and spring. How are the academics treating you? Do you feel prepared?

Forum Member

For all the candidates awaiting their coming packets I can personally verify that you will be receiving them in the next couple weeks. I am pleased to report that I am among the very last of the fellas to receive my Medical Letter, scheduled for August 20th. I'm not number 2219, but I'm pretty close to it. I'm hoping I'll make the January Academy, but fully aware I'm right at the cut off line. Best of luck to everyone in the various levels of our shared journey. I look forward to the potential of us serving together. Rock & Roll!

Exam 2000 = 101%
    List # = 21**(Very Upper)
    Past CPAT = 3/21/2014
    Intake Interview = 3/28/14
    Medical = 8/20/14

Thread Information