Like Tree9519Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Engine 15 is no longer housed on Henry St. Its with 18 truck and has been with Fort Pitt for a long time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Eh.....the vision plan sucks. It's through the union. You get like 75 bucks a year towards contacts or frames and maybe 25 bucks back for dr visits.
    Thanks for the info, basically sounds like what I used to have. Better than nothing
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jky9xx View Post
    I feel the same as spiderneck. Yea the work is hard but overall it's a great experience. I can't tell you how many times after doing some of these evolutions I'm like "damn, I'm getting paid to do this! This is so much fun!"
    It really is fun isn't it, I'm having the time of my life. My squad is squared away, the evolutions are exciting, the instructors are excellent and the DI'S do a very good job at keeping us motivated and in check. It's overwhelming yes, but if you showed up prepared then it's only half as hard as one expects it to be.

Got "promoted" this week as well. The DI's like me it seems. Only thing now is that they'll be watching me more closely lol. But I don't mind. All the more to keep me focused. 3 quizzes away from mid terms fellas. Let's keep studying and doing our best and remember that lives depend on it.

As for me having a big mouth on the forum, it's only on the forum lol. In real life it's head down and mouth shut, as it should be. But at home with your family or on an Internet website, it's ok to be urself.

FDNY!!!!!!!!
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    It really is fun isn't it, I'm having the time of my life. My squad is squared away, the evolutions are exciting, the instructors are excellent and the DI'S do a very good job at keeping us motivated and in check. It's overwhelming yes, but if you showed up prepared then it's only half as hard as one expects it to be.

Got "promoted" this week as well. The DI's like me it seems. Only thing now is that they'll be watching me more closely lol. But I don't mind. All the more to keep me focused. 3 quizzes away from mid terms fellas. Let's keep studying and doing our best and remember that lives depend on it.

As for me having a big mouth on the forum, it's only on the forum lol. In real life it's head down and mouth shut, as it should be. But at home with your family or on an Internet website, it's ok to be urself.

FDNY!!!!!!!!
    I've been told many times the ones who try really hard gets really far. The one who has chased a long time dream will eventually get it. The thing I'm worried about is the written. Yes its easy, but not easy to ACE. 2-3 years and counting. Nearly half a year of workout routine.
    Spiderneck30 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DoTheWork View Post
    Lmao, would love to see this guys first day in the firehouse… "Sr Man I respect everything you have done in your 25 years on the job but you got a proby here now and I have my own ideas on how things are to be done so go F#$k yourself!"

Lmao could you imagine??? I'd kick my own *** in that case. But im definitely not that guy. Believe me, 'Spiderneck30' and 'Probationary FF ........' are not 100% identical.
    Last edited by Spiderneck30; 08-10-2014 at 01:26 AM.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Hey spider

You getting sleep? Do you feel like the physical prep you did leading up to the academy has served you well? And what do you mean by "promoted"?

Thanks for sharing

Forum Member

Congrats spider neck

Forum Member

For guys in the academy, you're a good month in as of now.. are the PT, workouts and cardio still as insanely vigorous as day 1? And does it stay vigorous til the last day of academy? Or does it/has it toned down?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JRodPizza View Post
    For guys in the academy, you're a good month in as of now.. are the PT, workouts and cardio still as insanely vigorous as day 1? And does it stay vigorous til the last day of academy? Or does it/has it toned down?
    It doesn't get easier, you just get acclimated.
    thirdtimesacharm and bkopie like this.

Forum Member

Seems to vary depending on the instructor. For the most part, they aren't as hard as week 1. Runs might be a bit longer

I really wouldn't even worry about the PT if you're in shape. What makes the academy difficult, IMO, is the 11 or so hour days, with like 6 of them being in bunker gear(with a pt right in the middle of 2 bunker gear classes). And then having to go home and study zzz.

Forum Member

In FST how much weight do you have on during the stairmaster? bunker gear,tools??
    FDNY 2000 1xxx

Forum Member

Where are those packets this list needs to move.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    Hey spider

You getting sleep? Do you feel like the physical prep you did leading up to the academy has served you well? And what do you mean by "promoted"?

Thanks for sharing
    Promoted to squad leader assistant. That may give me away but oh well.

Yea I feel like my training prep was good enough, but more intensity type training would have helped all the more. I don't like using weights very much so I bought a Gold's Gym XR 10.9 Power Tower and just killed it at home with the basic calisthenics and alot of running with a 20 minute stair master session here and there (10 minute with 50lb vest/10 minutes no vest); nothing crazy.

I hate running tho. After the academy I'll never run again. The rest of my career will just be hard core calisthenics and stair master with weight vest; each of them twice a week.
    Last edited by Spiderneck30; 08-10-2014 at 10:22 PM.
    USMC55 likes this.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by antmdog View Post
    Seems to vary depending on the instructor. For the most part, they aren't as hard as week 1. Runs might be a bit longer

I really wouldn't even worry about the PT if you're in shape. What makes the academy difficult, IMO, is the 11 or so hour days, with like 6 of them being in bunker gear(with a pt right in the middle of 2 bunker gear classes). And then having to go home and study zzz.
    enable PMs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Promoted to squad leader assistant. That may give me away but oh well.

Yea I feel like my training prep was good enough, but more intensity type training would have helped all the more. I don't like using weights very much so I bought a Gold's Gym XR 10.9 Power Tower and just killed it at home with the basic calisthenics and alot of running with a 20 minute stair master session here and there (10 minute with 50lb vest/10 minutes no vest); nothing crazy.

I hate running tho. After the academy I'll never run again. The rest of my career will just be hard core calisthenics and stair master with weight vest; each of them twice a week.
    You act like the guys at the rock don't read what goes on here... And you defintely just gave yourself away... dummy
    test2000 likes this.

Forum Member

As a probie in academy, do you guys make atleast 600 a week after taxes? Tryna calculate the pay cut

Forum Member

As a probie in academy, do you guys make atleast 600 a week after taxes? Tryna calculate the pay cut
    No it's more like 500 a week after taxes and deductions
    Exam: 2000
    List: 7xx
    Intake: 9/26
    Psych: 10/11
    Medical: 10/22
    Oral psych 11/04
    Cpat 11/04

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCwife70 View Post
    You act like the guys at the rock don't read what goes on here... And you defintely just gave yourself away... dummy
    Very true, if they don't see it, it seems like people tell them about it. Hope for his sake no one does.

Forum Member

Hey I have to change my address with dcas. Did I see that right here, I can do that over the phone? Or do I have to send a letter?

Anyone done it in person? Already moved and don't want my old address on file any longer than it has to be.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDNY13 View Post
    No it's more like 500 a week after taxes and deductions
    You get paid weekly or every other week? Is direct deposit mandatory from the start?

Forum Member

Hey I have to change my address with dcas. Did I see that right here, I can do that over the phone? Or do I have to send a letter?

Anyone done it in person? Already moved and don't want my old address on file any longer than it has to be.
    Thought it was mandatory that you had to hand write a letter with name, test number, social, and current address and mail it in.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone have a guesstimation of when next round of cpats will start? I had to postpone due to injury and want to make sure I call them around the time b4 the letters get sent out. Thnx guys!

Forum Member

You can fax a form (don't do this... I tried twice and both times they screwed up) or mail a letter. I typed a letter and mailed it to both DCAS and FDNY CID.

Include: name, exam no. 2000, social security number, old address and new address.

Indicate you want a written confirmation of the change. They'll send you a receipt.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hotchi11 View Post
    In FST how much weight do you have on during the stairmaster? bunker gear,tools??
    No stairmaster, just stairs. When you're on them you have the weight of the bunker gear (20lbs), the weight of the mask (I don't know what that is), the hose roll up (30 lbs), and the stand pipe kit (around 20lbs I think).

Forum Member

The gear weighs more than that, I would say 30-40lbs.

Thread Information