Like Tree11331Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #23901
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    335

    Default

    hey guys, i receieved the email about the information sessions. my question is if its mandatory. can i put down that i am not attending and still go to the physical prep? the weekday dates will be tricky to get off for with such short notice and the weekend dates i have pre cana for my upcoming wedding.
    List 26XX
    Score:100

  2. #23902
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ramabdel12 View Post
    Hey everybody,

    Hope everyone is doing great!

    Im finished with everything (Passed CPAT, pysch, medical staircase on first go, residency credit, etc.) but now i have a problem that no one in my family expected, not even myself.

    When I was a young boy, I had a tumor in my neck where the doctor removed it and fused two cervical vertebrae. I went to see the FDNY ortho in July and was devastated how he needed a lot of information and said, "wow this is serious." The nurse even said this is a potential disqualification and i need the original surgical work when I asked.

    I have never felt so sad (really sad) in my life because I really worked so hard for this and the surgery was never brought up in my life (was never taken seriously post op). I played college football (and rugby), wrestled, everything and have an amazing back!

    I was hoping for any advice on what to do as I remain hopeful. Thanks everyone and God bless you all my brothers!
    I had a situation kind of similar to yours, but mine was not as serious of a procedure. The advice I can give you is go to your own Ortho and have him check everything and right you a letter that states he believes you are fit to complete the tasks of a firefighter without any setbacks or worries. I also went to he doctor that did my procedure and he wrote a letter stating what was wrong with me, the type of procedure and the result of the procedure as well as writing that he feels I am physically fit to complete the tasks of a firefighter. My procedure was when I was 14 and I'm 21 now so 7 years isn't that bad to get in touch with the Dr that did the procedure. I'm going to assume you are in your mid 20's so if the procedure was done when you were 2, that Dr may not even be working anymore. Try to get as much of the original paperwork as possible and get as many people backing you up as possible (Doctors that can reassure the FD that you are healthy). I would not show the FD any original paperwork unless they ask for it, just your own Dr. Basically, just get as many positive opinions as you can from Dr's that believe you are healthy enough. Even a letter from you primary physician, just anything to back you up that way it's out of the FDNY's hands. Anyway, I hoped this helped. Good luck with everything, bro.

  3. #23903
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EKFCASPER View Post
    hey guys, i receieved the email about the information sessions. my question is if its mandatory. can i put down that i am not attending and still go to the physical prep? the weekday dates will be tricky to get off for with such short notice and the weekend dates i have pre cana for my upcoming wedding.

    If I recall correctly, you kind of have to be there to sign up in person. And then they physically give you your admission card to attend the prep each week.

    My honest advice is, don't get married...
    bklynmike91 likes this.

  4. #23904
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Britches View Post
    I had a situation kind of similar to yours, but mine was not as serious of a procedure. The advice I can give you is go to your own Ortho and have him check everything and right you a letter that states he believes you are fit to complete the tasks of a firefighter without any setbacks or worries. I also went to he doctor that did my procedure and he wrote a letter stating what was wrong with me, the type of procedure and the result of the procedure as well as writing that he feels I am physically fit to complete the tasks of a firefighter. My procedure was when I was 14 and I'm 21 now so 7 years isn't that bad to get in touch with the Dr that did the procedure. I'm going to assume you are in your mid 20's so if the procedure was done when you were 2, that Dr may not even be working anymore. Try to get as much of the original paperwork as possible and get as many people backing you up as possible (Doctors that can reassure the FD that you are healthy). I would not show the FD any original paperwork unless they ask for it, just your own Dr. Basically, just get as many positive opinions as you can from Dr's that believe you are healthy enough. Even a letter from you primary physician, just anything to back you up that way it's out of the FDNY's hands. Anyway, I hoped this helped. Good luck with everything, bro.
    Britches....really appreciate the advice! I will go to my family doctor and an ortho and see if they can write letters to support me in the FDNY.

    Crazy because never thought this was even come back to me.....not even my mentor thought it would be this big of a deal.

    Guess spinal fusion is serious.
    bklynmike91 likes this.

  5. #23905
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EKFCASPER View Post
    hey guys, i receieved the email about the information sessions. my question is if its mandatory. can i put down that i am not attending and still go to the physical prep? the weekday dates will be tricky to get off for with such short notice and the weekend dates i have pre cana for my upcoming wedding.
    If you received that email about the information sessions, you should be receiving your packet in the mail soon. Do whatever you have to to get to those sessions. Although the cpat is a joke compared to te academy, it gets your body and mind in the mindset of what you should expect to be doing.
    bklynmike91 likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 101
    List: 20XX

  6. #23906
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Herc_1812 just made a romantic explosion in his pantaloons...

    LOL haha I really did man...that email was great news real excited..I'm a super chilled dude, no hard feelings to anyone..one step closer
    bklynmike91 likes this.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 100
    List# : 30xx

  7. #23907
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    If I recall correctly, you kind of have to be there to sign up in person. And then they physically give you your admission card to attend the prep each week.

    My honest advice is, don't get married...
    Yes I figured as much. All joking aside tho. The wedding is in nov, since I had no realistic shot at January academy with a list number of 263x, we pushed to do it in november so it wouldn't interfere with me going in for july15.

  8. #23908
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Gentlemen ... first post here. I have however been lurking on the forums for quite some time now, learning as much as I can from everyone going thru the process as well as those OTJ.

    Quick question : How can I change the email address FDNY has on file for me ? They have an old email on file which I do not use any longer. Also, can anyone forward that email about the informational sessions to me as I am in the 100's range and should have received it.

    Thanks.

  9. #23909
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Pyle View Post
    Gentlemen ... first post here. I have however been lurking on the forums for quite some time now, learning as much as I can from everyone going thru the process as well as those OTJ.

    Quick question : How can I change the email address FDNY has on file for me ? They have an old email on file which I do not use any longer. Also, can anyone forward that email about the informational sessions to me as I am in the 100's range and should have received it.

    Thanks.
    This is probably where things are going to get tricky with the list numbers. Just because you scored within the 100 range doesn't mean that they are going to send the next round of packets out I all of the 100's. They have so many other candidates ahead who have begun the processing stages for well up to a year already, that they could lease the amount of packets they are sending out. The packet you'll receive in the mail will have all the information that the email will have and will give you a link to sign up for the informational sessions. That is of course if you don't receive it before then. I would just keep that old email activated and chek up on it every so often over the next few days until you receive an email.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 101
    List: 20XX

  10. #23910
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SI91 View Post
    This is probably where things are going to get tricky with the list numbers. Just because you scored within the 100 range doesn't mean that they are going to send the next round of packets out I all of the 100's. They have so many other candidates ahead who have begun the processing stages for well up to a year already, that they could lease the amount of packets they are sending out. The packet you'll receive in the mail will have all the information that the email will have and will give you a link to sign up for the informational sessions. That is of course if you don't receive it before then. I would just keep that old email activated and chek up on it every so often over the next few days until you receive an email.
    I see. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully those packets arrive in the mail soon. I just didn't want to miss out on anything because of an email address.
    Exam : 2000
    Score : 100
    List : 31XX

  11. #23911
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    552

    Default

    I think you can't "change" your email with CID until your intake. It's on here somewhere.

  12. #23912
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Where can I find the list of documents needed for intake ?

    If anyone has the list handy or can direct me to the page where it was posted, i'd appreciate it.
    Exam : 2000
    Score : 100
    List : 31XX

  13. #23913
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    brooklyn
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Pyle View Post
    Where can I find the list of documents needed for intake ?

    If anyone has the list handy or can direct me to the page where it was posted, i'd appreciate it.
    I got this off of here I think. So I didn't write it but had it saved in my email:

    The FDNY Firefighter Process

    1. Investigation – Business Dress Attire

    THERE IS NO ACTUAL INTERVIEW DURING THIS PROCESS…here are the items you will need. No photocopies, originals only. You may need more or less depending on your specific circumstances but if you walk in with at least this your investigator will be very pleased. MAKE A PHOTOCOPY OF THE PACKET THAT YOU FILLED OUT FOR YOUR OWN RECORDS, IT WILL COME IN HANDY LATER.

    1. SS card
    2. HS diploma
    3. Birth Certificate
    4. W2 forms 2007-2012
    5. Bank Statements for the residency period (June 2010- July 2011)
    6. Credit Card Statements for the residency period (June 2010- July 2011)
    7. College transcript (still in the sealed envelope DONT BREAK THE SEAL.
    8. NYS drivers abstract
    9. Two recent pay stubs
    10. Most recent 5 years detailed earning statement obtainable from the social security office ($102)
    11. $75 money order
    12. Any mail sent to your house in the last 60 days (previous to your investigation) to prove you still live where you live.
    13. IF APPLICABLE copy of the any summons, convictions, etc along with their disposition from the court.
    14. Three references that are NOT family and NOT affiliated with the FDNY in anyway be it a desk job, firefighter, or retired. You will need their name and mailing address.

    ITEMS 4-6 WILL SERVE AS RESIDENCY PROOF – OTHER ITEMS ARE ACCEPTABLE BUT MUST BE APPROVED BY YOUR INVESTIGATOR.

    2. CPAT
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3fGVOl9dQ8

    That is exactly it. Nothing else, piece of cake.

    • Cpat Letter from DCAS – GYM ATTIRE
    o There will be two dates listed both of which are optional. No matter what day you go in you will go in, watch the above video, and you will be given a walk through of the actual test course. You will not run the course in a timed matter or with a vest on but they will let you go through each station. This will be your experience both days. It will come in paycheck styled envelope where you rip off 3 sides.

    • CPAT letter from FDNY, training at the rock - will come regular mail and/or email
    o FIRST DAY IS PAPERWORK, OVERVIEW, AND PICKING WHAT DAY YOU WOULD LIKE TO COME FOR TRAINING. BUSINESS CASUAL
    o 2ND TIME GYM ATTIRE – you will run through the course but untimed and without a weight vest on
    o Every week after that is gym attire and you will run the course with weighted vest and timed.

    • A few weeks into this you should receive your notification for the REAL CPAT EXAM FROM DCAS. There will be 3 dates listed. The first one you pass counts and it is not necessary to report any of the other days listed. It will come in paycheck styled envelope where you rip off 3 sides.

    3. Medical - GYM ATTIRE
    You will complete…
    1. Blood test
    2. Urine Test
    3. Baseline set of vitals
    4. Hearing Test
    5. Vision Test
    6. Lung Capacity Test
    7. Oxygen mask Fit test
    8. Chest X-Ray
    9. FDNY doctor consult
    10. PPD shot
    11. EKG
    And 2 other stupid things I can’t think of
    AND THE STAIRMASTER…
    o Start off with 3 minutes on at 60 steps a minute with no weight vest. Your heart rate can not double the heart rate they took on you in step 3 when you first started the whole medical. 5 MINUTE BREAK THEN…
    o Should it not go over double you then put on a 50lb weight vest and go for 5 minutes during which your heart rate can not exceed (220-age)x.9
    o SHOULD YOUR HEART RATE EXCEED ITS LIMIT AT ANY OF THESE POINTS YOU WILL LIVE TO SEE ANOTHER DAY.
    o Return and do the 3 minutes again with no vest, rest 5 minutes. Then even if your heart rate is over the limit during that part you still put on the 50lb vest and must go for 8 minutes and be composed during and immediately after the exam. If you look like you are going to die then you may fail otherwise, if you make the 8 minutes you pass.

    4. PSYCH – business casual
    Bring the copy of the your investigation packet because you will need to fill it yet again all your past employment history and such.

    The psych is a ridiculously long, something like 500 question, multiple choice test asking you all sorts of nonsense multiple times but worded differently such as…
    o Do you love your mother?
    o Are you afraid of fire?
    o Do you see ghosts?
    o Do you associate with drug dealers?
    o Has such and such every made you mad?

    If you are not crazy, you will not have a problem. If there is an issue they will contact you generally within a month or less to schedule an interview with you to see if you really are nuts or just misunderstood something. NO NEWS IS GOOD NEWS.

    AFTER ALL THAT HAS BEEN DONE YOU ARE ONLY WAITING FOR THE RUN, WHICH IS WHERE I AM, GOOD LUCK!
    NYgrad2012 and BklynFDNY89 like this.

  14. #23914
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    103

    Default

    I didn't get an email & I'm in the 3200's. I think they just barely got over 3000. That's why I'm curious if anyone knows if this mass email is like the run letters where there will be more than just 1 email sent out.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 100
    List: 32xx

  15. #23915
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Thanks bk, that's awesome!
    Test: 2000
    Score: 100
    List: 32xx

  16. #23916
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    brooklyn
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BklynFDNY89 View Post
    I didn't get an email & I'm in the 3200's. I think they just barely got over 3000. That's why I'm curious if anyone knows if this mass email is like the run letters where there will be more than just 1 email sent out.
    Maybe they went up to 3100? I can't see why they wouldn't just finish the 100s at 3338.

    Wait till middle next week to see if a packet shows up in the mail, then call and say your friend in the 30xx received his and you were just checking if you missed yours? Though I'm sure by that point someone will probably post here

  17. #23917
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    103

    Default

    With those W2 forms, would it a problem if you only have from 2009 forward?
    Test: 2000
    Score: 100
    List: 32xx

  18. #23918
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    brooklyn
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BklynFDNY89 View Post
    With those W2 forms, would it a problem if you only have from 2009 forward?
    I think it's just needed for the last 5 years... maybe this post was made in 2012. Don't quote me on that though, I'm not sure.

  19. #23919
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bkopie View Post
    Maybe they went up to 3100? I can't see why they wouldn't just finish the 100s at 3338.

    Wait till middle next week to see if a packet shows up in the mail, then call and say your friend in the 30xx received his and you were just checking if you missed yours? Though I'm sure by that point someone will probably post here
    I hope that's the case. Although I have AT orders early Sept & will be in out of the country for 2 weeks, worst case scenerio I hope it's not an issue to reschedule.

    Quote Originally Posted by bkopie View Post
    I think it's just needed for the last 5 years... maybe this post was made in 2012. Don't quote me on that though, I'm not sure.
    Yeah I agree, 5 years would make more sense.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 100
    List: 32xx

  20. #23920
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    Do probies ever bring in a bunch of steaks instead of desserts? Got so many friends that are butchers just got me thinking.
    That's a good kind of friend to have, but no, I wouldn't do that for the first time ya show up at your firehouse. Everyone in the past has done dessert, everyone expects dessert, just bring some nice desserts. Having butcher friends can come in handy later down the line.

  21. #23921
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Ha thanks MM I appreciate it

  22. #23922
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    17

    Default

    What is the easiest way to get copies of your W2s between 2007-2012?
    EXAM: 2000
    LIST #: 25XX
    Grade: 100

  23. #23923
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    Ha thanks MM I appreciate it
    Personally I'd love to get lessons from a butcher and learn how to do more prep on my own. If I knew any well enough to call a friend I'd probably be bugging them to let me hang out in the shop and learn how they do what they do.

  24. #23924
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Thanks MM for the reply, I guess I am overthinking things a little.. Also wanted to add that for people taking the written psych, it is based on a standard psychological test called the MMPI-2. If you google MMPI-2 you
    can find an explanation and sample questions regarding the test.
    Last edited by New Flyer; 08-22-2014 at 01:45 PM.

  25. #23925
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    brooklyn
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doubler33 View Post
    What is the easiest way to get copies of your W2s between 2007-2012?
    Easiest - contact former employer. I think they have to keep on file for like a minimum of 4 years or something.
    Last resort - http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc159.html

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 1 guests)

  1. Matador611,
  2. Mazzeo5

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 05:52 AM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 09:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 01:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 04:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 12:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register