Like Tree9882Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Is vest training for short and longer periods of time enough cardio or does one really need to run? Thanks

Forum Member

Long time follower of the thread not in the process.. What is FST? Tried searching for videos didn't come up with anything.

Forum Member

For the guys who have passed the medical,cpat, or are currently otj, what was your stairmaster routine like??? Thanks in advance guys, stay safe

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blachatch View Post
    Long time follower of the thread not in the process.. What is FST? Tried searching for videos didn't come up with anything.
    Its an abbreviation for "Funtional Skills Training." Somebody else will have to elaborate thats OTJ already or currently in the Rock.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gianni1028 View Post
    For the guys who have passed the medical,cpat, or are currently otj, what was your stairmaster routine like??? Thanks in advance guys, stay safe

Sprints, sprints, long runs, vest on the stepmill at gym, sprints....rinse and repeat. Don't forget the sprints. Passed on the first try doing this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Sprints, sprints, long runs, vest on the stepmill at gym, sprints....rinse and repeat. Don't forget the sprints. Passed on the first try doing this.
    Thanks Roadrunner09, I appreciate it, so thats the most efficient way to lower your HR

Forum Member

Thanks Roadrunner09, I appreciate it, so thats the most efficient way to lower your HR
    I am far from an expert. But in order to train your heart rate to be lower when put to a stress test in that way, this is the key ingredient that most of the people going back hadn't hit hard IMO. Then again some people's resting heart rate was low enough during vitals that they didn't even make it to the vest, so that's a variable.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Guys a quick heads up in regards to strength training. DO IT! Especially if you're small. Alot of small guys with excellent cardio are failing FST. A guy even quit the academy yesterday immediately after FST; said he just couldnt take it anymore. He was on the small side. On the other hand, a lot of big dummies failing acedemics are banging FST out tho. I know this has been said b4 but just stressing it again here. Dont go so crazy doing cardio that you lose ur strength and muscle becuz you need a good combination of both to get thru here.

My FST time improved by a full minutes and 24 seconds; ON AIR! On to week 7. Feeling good. Over and out.
    Spiderneck, Thanks for the updates.

Guys preparing for the rock that aren't convinced about the importance of strength yet, check out this article regarding strength/conditioning for fire and police academies, written by a well respected strength coach. Just ignore the bodybuilding BS that surrounds it.

http://www.t-nation.com/training/conditioning-is-a-sham
    Exam 2000
    Score: 99
    List #:4xxx

Forum Member

Its an abbreviation for "Funtional Skills Training." Somebody else will have to elaborate thats OTJ already or currently in the Rock.
    There are 2 FST drills, the first is engine and the second is truck. Both drills have specific duties that a member should be able to perform at a actual fire. As someone described it before, it's like CPAT on steroids.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    There are 2 FST drills, the first is engine and the second is truck. Both drills have specific duties that a member should be able to perform at a actual fire. As someone described it before, it's like CPAT on steroids.
    Thanks for the reinforcement of info on FST FFwnt2b, appreciate it

Forum Member

I am far from an expert. But in order to train your heart rate to be lower when put to a stress test in that way, this is the key ingredient that most of the people going back hadn't hit hard IMO. Then again some people's resting heart rate was low enough during vitals that they didn't even make it to the vest, so that's a variable.
    Yea I get what your saying, so because theyre resting HR was so low which is pretty much a good thing..it turns into a bad thing in a way cause when that 3 min is done on the stairmaster theyre HR is easily more than Doubled cause the resting is low. I dont mean to confuse you, but is that correct? Thanks again

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Is vest training for short and longer periods of time enough cardio or does one really need to run? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post

Guys preparing for the rock that aren't convinced about the importance of strength yet, check out this article regarding strength/conditioning for fire and police academies, written by a well respected strength coach. Just ignore the bodybuilding BS that surrounds it.

Yeah I pretty much agree with this. I hate running and think it's pretty useless (or suboptimal) for anything but getting better at running. A lot of the good FSTers don't do too well on the runs either.

There's tons of "anti running" articles addressed towards athletes out there. Here's a pretty recent one
    http://www.tonygentilcore.com/blog/is-running-natural/

Thing is running is a fairly big part of the academy PT. I'd say you don't need to run at all to do every other aspect of the academy (so long as you do some other forms of conditioning/cardio). However if you go from no running to academy running your chance of injury is higher, so you probably want to be running a fair amount.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post

Wow, really interesting article, and to be honost it all makes sense, thanks for for sharing that dkjets75

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by antmdog View Post
    Yeah I pretty much agree with this. I hate running and think it's pretty useless (or suboptimal) for anything but getting better at running. A lot of the good FSTers don't do too well on the runs either.

There's tons of "anti running" articles addressed towards athletes out there. Here's a pretty recent one
    http://www.tonygentilcore.com/blog/is-running-natural/

Thing is running is a fairly big part of the academy PT. I'd say you don't need to run at all to do every other aspect of the academy (so long as you do some other forms of conditioning/cardio). However if you go from no running to academy running your chance of injury is higher, so you probably want to be running a fair amount.
    100% on point..Thats the catch lol its a requirement at the academy, it may not be very beneficial but its what HAS to be done lol

Forum Member

Yea I get what your saying, so because theyre resting HR was so low which is pretty much a good thing..it turns into a bad thing in a way cause when that 3 min is done on the stairmaster theyre HR is easily more than Doubled cause the resting is low. I dont mean to confuse you, but is that correct? Thanks again

Exactly, amigo. I happen to get nervous in medical settings which probably worked in my favor in that regard. But only in that regard, and I'll leave it at that. Either way, you'll be fine. If you have to go back, you have to go back and stay on longer. Just make sure you can do the 8 minutes like a boss.

Forum Member

Well considering you need to pass hands on and academics individually to get out of the academy, a 75 in FST is effectively the same as a 100 (i.e a high FST score can't bring up a low academic/hands on grade to let you pass the academy).

So "ideal" is really just a personal thing. I'd say as long as you are passing (17:30) and improving each week you should be pretty happy with that.
    That's not true. You need a 75 average combined with all 3. So yes theoretically if you had a 100 in both tests and practicals and failed fst you might still be able to graduate but it will not be easy. Fst is a very integral part of the Fd and the academy. If you are failing it, or anything in the academy, the academy will not be easy for you, they will make it very difficult for you. It's hard enough as It is if you are doing well let alone it you are failing.

Secondly you should always want to be the best. You want to know what an ideal time is? I believe the record is 9:38. You should strive to beat it. I'm below the 17:38 passing mark but in still pushing to get lower every week.
    NYgrad2012 likes this.

Forum Member

Exactly, amigo. I happen to get nervous in medical settings which probably worked in my favor in that regard. But only in that regard, and I'll leave it at that. Either way, you'll be fine. If you have to go back, you have to go back and stay on longer. Just make sure you can do the 8 minutes like a boss.
    I completely understand your reasoning man, we have a right to be nervous. Im glad everything worked out for you man, what point are you at in the process so far? I did 13min/ 51 flights today so I know im good, ive done 118 floors, thats my personal record lmao

Forum Member

I completely understand your reasoning man, we have a right to be nervous. Im glad everything worked out for you man, what point are you at in the process so far? I did 13min/ 51 flights today so I know im good, ive done 118 floors, thats my personal record lmao
    I've done all the steps and am currently dreading the notion of the psych lady contacting me for a one on one or whatever else my come up that catches me off guard...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jky9xx View Post
    That's not true. You need a 75 average combined with all 3. So yes theoretically if you had a 100 in both tests and practicals and failed fst you might still be able to graduate but it will not be easy. Fst is a very integral part of the Fd and the academy. If you are failing it, or anything in the academy, the academy will not be easy for you, they will make it very difficult for you. It's hard enough as It is if you are doing well let alone it you are failing.

Secondly you should always want to be the best. You want to know what an ideal time is? I believe the record is 9:38. You should strive to beat it. I'm below the 17:38 passing mark but in still pushing to get lower every week.
    Hm, I just checked the sheet - you need a 75 in two primary areas and a 75 overall. Didn't think FST was a primary but it is. So you can fail hands on with a 65 and have an 85 average fst/academics and pass.

As for ideal time - wanting to be the best is a personal thing, like I said.

I don't really care about being the best. If I can do pretty well with sub maximal effort and I'd rather do that and minimize chance of injury, than try to break records and hurt something/get sent out on medical. Whether you break records or get a 17:37 the end result is the same...
    But that's just me

Forum Member

I've done all the steps and am currently dreading the notion of the psych lady contacting me for a one on one or whatever else my come up that catches me off guard...
    Oh okay congrats man good for you, im sure all will go good, keep positive thoughts man

Forum Member

Hm, I just checked the sheet - you need a 75 in two primary areas and a 75 overall. Didn't think FST was a primary but it is. So you can fail hands on with a 65 and have an 85 average fst/academics and pass.

As for ideal time - wanting to be the best is a personal thing, like I said.

I don't really care about being the best. If I can do pretty well with sub maximal effort and I'd rather do that and minimize chance of injury, than try to break records and hurt something/get sent out on medical. Whether you break records or get a 17:37 the end result is the same...
    But that's just me
    I am with you on that one. All we want right now is to graduate to become firemen.
    FDNY 2000 1xxx

Forum Member

What if one were a regular caffeine user, would using caffeine the day of the cpat or Med keep you from passing or getting to go.

Forum Member

one of My friends in the 2250's got his email about mentoring and CPAT or something like 2 days ago. not sure if that means anything.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    What if one were a regular caffeine user, would using caffeine the day of the cpat or Med keep you from passing or getting to go.
    "Caffeine User", aka Coffee Drinker? LOL.....

My advice to anyone taking the Medical is this:

Take a couple of weeks and completely abstain from the following:
    Coffee
    Cigarettes (shouldn't smoke anyway!)
    alcohol

Just give your body a couple of weeks to detox. Anything that's a stimulant is your enemy at the Medical. If you're at all worried about your heart rate, I'd even skip that morning's O.J. (drink, not killer)

Forum Member

Hey, for anyone worried about the run and FST, don't sweat it, I've been told that things just got easier. No more timed FST and the run is based on how old you are. That's what I was told about that female probie who failed the last two classes and had a news story about her, they changed the standards. Has anyone at the academy heard this? A friend of mine got a text from a boss at the school telling him about it.

Just a note before people start replying to me about me being serious about not worrying about it, save it. Train hard, this job is all about staying fit, if you are not in shape you become a liability to yourself and those around you.

Thread Information