Like Tree9882Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #23951
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    Is vest training for short and longer periods of time enough cardio or does one really need to run? Thanks

  2. #23952
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Long time follower of the thread not in the process.. What is FST? Tried searching for videos didn't come up with anything.

  3. #23953
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    233

    Default

    For the guys who have passed the medical,cpat, or are currently otj, what was your stairmaster routine like??? Thanks in advance guys, stay safe

  4. #23954
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blachatch View Post
    Long time follower of the thread not in the process.. What is FST? Tried searching for videos didn't come up with anything.
    Its an abbreviation for "Funtional Skills Training." Somebody else will have to elaborate thats OTJ already or currently in the Rock.

  5. #23955
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gianni1028 View Post
    For the guys who have passed the medical,cpat, or are currently otj, what was your stairmaster routine like??? Thanks in advance guys, stay safe

    Sprints, sprints, long runs, vest on the stepmill at gym, sprints....rinse and repeat. Don't forget the sprints. Passed on the first try doing this.

  6. #23956
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Sprints, sprints, long runs, vest on the stepmill at gym, sprints....rinse and repeat. Don't forget the sprints. Passed on the first try doing this.
    Thanks Roadrunner09, I appreciate it, so thats the most efficient way to lower your HR

  7. #23957
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gianni1028 View Post
    Thanks Roadrunner09, I appreciate it, so thats the most efficient way to lower your HR
    I am far from an expert. But in order to train your heart rate to be lower when put to a stress test in that way, this is the key ingredient that most of the people going back hadn't hit hard IMO. Then again some people's resting heart rate was low enough during vitals that they didn't even make it to the vest, so that's a variable.

  8. #23958
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Guys a quick heads up in regards to strength training. DO IT! Especially if you're small. Alot of small guys with excellent cardio are failing FST. A guy even quit the academy yesterday immediately after FST; said he just couldnt take it anymore. He was on the small side. On the other hand, a lot of big dummies failing acedemics are banging FST out tho. I know this has been said b4 but just stressing it again here. Dont go so crazy doing cardio that you lose ur strength and muscle becuz you need a good combination of both to get thru here.

    My FST time improved by a full minutes and 24 seconds; ON AIR! On to week 7. Feeling good. Over and out.
    Spiderneck, Thanks for the updates.

    Guys preparing for the rock that aren't convinced about the importance of strength yet, check out this article regarding strength/conditioning for fire and police academies, written by a well respected strength coach. Just ignore the bodybuilding BS that surrounds it.

    http://www.t-nation.com/training/conditioning-is-a-sham
    Exam 2000
    Score: 99
    List #:4xxx

  9. #23959
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gianni1028 View Post
    Its an abbreviation for "Funtional Skills Training." Somebody else will have to elaborate thats OTJ already or currently in the Rock.
    There are 2 FST drills, the first is engine and the second is truck. Both drills have specific duties that a member should be able to perform at a actual fire. As someone described it before, it's like CPAT on steroids.

  10. #23960
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    There are 2 FST drills, the first is engine and the second is truck. Both drills have specific duties that a member should be able to perform at a actual fire. As someone described it before, it's like CPAT on steroids.
    Thanks for the reinforcement of info on FST FFwnt2b, appreciate it

  11. #23961
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    I am far from an expert. But in order to train your heart rate to be lower when put to a stress test in that way, this is the key ingredient that most of the people going back hadn't hit hard IMO. Then again some people's resting heart rate was low enough during vitals that they didn't even make it to the vest, so that's a variable.
    Yea I get what your saying, so because theyre resting HR was so low which is pretty much a good thing..it turns into a bad thing in a way cause when that 3 min is done on the stairmaster theyre HR is easily more than Doubled cause the resting is low. I dont mean to confuse you, but is that correct? Thanks again

  12. #23962
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Is vest training for short and longer periods of time enough cardio or does one really need to run? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post
    Spiderneck, Thanks for the updates.

    Guys preparing for the rock that aren't convinced about the importance of strength yet, check out this article regarding strength/conditioning for fire and police academies, written by a well respected strength coach. Just ignore the bodybuilding BS that surrounds it.

    http://www.t-nation.com/training/conditioning-is-a-sham
    Yeah I pretty much agree with this. I hate running and think it's pretty useless (or suboptimal) for anything but getting better at running. A lot of the good FSTers don't do too well on the runs either.

    There's tons of "anti running" articles addressed towards athletes out there. Here's a pretty recent one
    http://www.tonygentilcore.com/blog/is-running-natural/

    Thing is running is a fairly big part of the academy PT. I'd say you don't need to run at all to do every other aspect of the academy (so long as you do some other forms of conditioning/cardio). However if you go from no running to academy running your chance of injury is higher, so you probably want to be running a fair amount.

  13. #23963
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post
    Spiderneck, Thanks for the updates.

    Guys preparing for the rock that aren't convinced about the importance of strength yet, check out this article regarding strength/conditioning for fire and police academies, written by a well respected strength coach. Just ignore the bodybuilding BS that surrounds it.

    http://www.t-nation.com/training/conditioning-is-a-sham
    Wow, really interesting article, and to be honost it all makes sense, thanks for for sharing that dkjets75

  14. #23964
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antmdog View Post
    Yeah I pretty much agree with this. I hate running and think it's pretty useless (or suboptimal) for anything but getting better at running. A lot of the good FSTers don't do too well on the runs either.

    There's tons of "anti running" articles addressed towards athletes out there. Here's a pretty recent one
    http://www.tonygentilcore.com/blog/is-running-natural/

    Thing is running is a fairly big part of the academy PT. I'd say you don't need to run at all to do every other aspect of the academy (so long as you do some other forms of conditioning/cardio). However if you go from no running to academy running your chance of injury is higher, so you probably want to be running a fair amount.
    100% on point..Thats the catch lol its a requirement at the academy, it may not be very beneficial but its what HAS to be done lol

  15. #23965
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gianni1028 View Post
    Yea I get what your saying, so because theyre resting HR was so low which is pretty much a good thing..it turns into a bad thing in a way cause when that 3 min is done on the stairmaster theyre HR is easily more than Doubled cause the resting is low. I dont mean to confuse you, but is that correct? Thanks again

    Exactly, amigo. I happen to get nervous in medical settings which probably worked in my favor in that regard. But only in that regard, and I'll leave it at that. Either way, you'll be fine. If you have to go back, you have to go back and stay on longer. Just make sure you can do the 8 minutes like a boss.

  16. #23966
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antmdog View Post
    Well considering you need to pass hands on and academics individually to get out of the academy, a 75 in FST is effectively the same as a 100 (i.e a high FST score can't bring up a low academic/hands on grade to let you pass the academy).

    So "ideal" is really just a personal thing. I'd say as long as you are passing (17:30) and improving each week you should be pretty happy with that.
    That's not true. You need a 75 average combined with all 3. So yes theoretically if you had a 100 in both tests and practicals and failed fst you might still be able to graduate but it will not be easy. Fst is a very integral part of the Fd and the academy. If you are failing it, or anything in the academy, the academy will not be easy for you, they will make it very difficult for you. It's hard enough as It is if you are doing well let alone it you are failing.

    Secondly you should always want to be the best. You want to know what an ideal time is? I believe the record is 9:38. You should strive to beat it. I'm below the 17:38 passing mark but in still pushing to get lower every week.
    NYgrad2012 likes this.

  17. #23967
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Exactly, amigo. I happen to get nervous in medical settings which probably worked in my favor in that regard. But only in that regard, and I'll leave it at that. Either way, you'll be fine. If you have to go back, you have to go back and stay on longer. Just make sure you can do the 8 minutes like a boss.
    I completely understand your reasoning man, we have a right to be nervous. Im glad everything worked out for you man, what point are you at in the process so far? I did 13min/ 51 flights today so I know im good, ive done 118 floors, thats my personal record lmao

  18. #23968
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gianni1028 View Post
    I completely understand your reasoning man, we have a right to be nervous. Im glad everything worked out for you man, what point are you at in the process so far? I did 13min/ 51 flights today so I know im good, ive done 118 floors, thats my personal record lmao
    I've done all the steps and am currently dreading the notion of the psych lady contacting me for a one on one or whatever else my come up that catches me off guard...

  19. #23969
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jky9xx View Post
    That's not true. You need a 75 average combined with all 3. So yes theoretically if you had a 100 in both tests and practicals and failed fst you might still be able to graduate but it will not be easy. Fst is a very integral part of the Fd and the academy. If you are failing it, or anything in the academy, the academy will not be easy for you, they will make it very difficult for you. It's hard enough as It is if you are doing well let alone it you are failing.

    Secondly you should always want to be the best. You want to know what an ideal time is? I believe the record is 9:38. You should strive to beat it. I'm below the 17:38 passing mark but in still pushing to get lower every week.
    Hm, I just checked the sheet - you need a 75 in two primary areas and a 75 overall. Didn't think FST was a primary but it is. So you can fail hands on with a 65 and have an 85 average fst/academics and pass.

    As for ideal time - wanting to be the best is a personal thing, like I said.

    I don't really care about being the best. If I can do pretty well with sub maximal effort and I'd rather do that and minimize chance of injury, than try to break records and hurt something/get sent out on medical. Whether you break records or get a 17:37 the end result is the same...
    But that's just me

  20. #23970
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    I've done all the steps and am currently dreading the notion of the psych lady contacting me for a one on one or whatever else my come up that catches me off guard...
    Oh okay congrats man good for you, im sure all will go good, keep positive thoughts man

  21. #23971
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antmdog View Post
    Hm, I just checked the sheet - you need a 75 in two primary areas and a 75 overall. Didn't think FST was a primary but it is. So you can fail hands on with a 65 and have an 85 average fst/academics and pass.

    As for ideal time - wanting to be the best is a personal thing, like I said.

    I don't really care about being the best. If I can do pretty well with sub maximal effort and I'd rather do that and minimize chance of injury, than try to break records and hurt something/get sent out on medical. Whether you break records or get a 17:37 the end result is the same...
    But that's just me
    I am with you on that one. All we want right now is to graduate to become firemen.
    FDNY 2000 1xxx

  22. #23972
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    What if one were a regular caffeine user, would using caffeine the day of the cpat or Med keep you from passing or getting to go.

  23. #23973
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    one of My friends in the 2250's got his email about mentoring and CPAT or something like 2 days ago. not sure if that means anything.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

  24. #23974
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    What if one were a regular caffeine user, would using caffeine the day of the cpat or Med keep you from passing or getting to go.
    "Caffeine User", aka Coffee Drinker? LOL.....

    My advice to anyone taking the Medical is this:

    Take a couple of weeks and completely abstain from the following:
    Coffee
    Cigarettes (shouldn't smoke anyway!)
    alcohol


    Just give your body a couple of weeks to detox. Anything that's a stimulant is your enemy at the Medical. If you're at all worried about your heart rate, I'd even skip that morning's O.J. (drink, not killer)

  25. #23975
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Hey, for anyone worried about the run and FST, don't sweat it, I've been told that things just got easier. No more timed FST and the run is based on how old you are. That's what I was told about that female probie who failed the last two classes and had a news story about her, they changed the standards. Has anyone at the academy heard this? A friend of mine got a text from a boss at the school telling him about it.





    Just a note before people start replying to me about me being serious about not worrying about it, save it. Train hard, this job is all about staying fit, if you are not in shape you become a liability to yourself and those around you.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 37 users browsing this thread. (10 members and 27 guests)

  1. 1DayFDNY,
  2. 4040clubBouncer,
  3. bacon,
  4. BD1017,
  5. BrooklynBorn,
  6. DannyD0pe,
  7. DSNY2FDNY,
  8. fdny2016,
  9. Matador611,
  10. MZigross

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 04:52 AM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register