Like Tree11283Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    Thanks guys. It sounds like all of you did well too!

I couldn't go to the review sessions as I'm about 250 miles outside the city and I work a rotating shift work schedule with very few approved requests off. I just relied on what you guys said on these forums.
    Lol, and I'm over here saying what a lucky son of a b i t c h!!! Lol. Not to make fun of you but don't be surprised if you did even better or just a little bit worse when you get your score in the mail.

Forum Member

Haha nah man. I've taken so many of these things. I'll be a lucky son of a hctib when I'm sweating at the Rock. I still don't have the residency points

Forum Member

Speaking of residency points, does anyone remember seeing stats on residents/non-residents who took the exam? They released a butt-load of other numbers but I didn't see that anywhere and that is going to factor pretty large for a lot of us, one way or another...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    Speaking of residency points, does anyone remember seeing stats on residents/non-residents who took the exam? They released a butt-load of other numbers but I didn't see that anywhere and that is going to factor pretty large for a lot of us, one way or another...
    At the vulcan prep classes washington was saying they expected about 60% of test takers to have residency credit. i would think the way they set up residency requirements for this exam would have lowered that number a bit, but that was the only instance where any sort of # was mentioned about candidates with residency.
    nycthirteen likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I took the same course. Can some one who has been to the review or knows explain to me if they are are grading strongly agree different than agree or grading disagree differently than strongly disagree?
    the way i saw it was that if they are looking for agree, then strongly agree is also full credit. and if the answer is disagree, strongly disagree is also full credit. the other 2 answers are both partial credit. so basically agree and ST agree are the same answer. and st disagree and disagree are the same answer. as far as the vulcan thing, they told you the wrong thing. my strategy was to be honest and not oversell myself and i got a bunch of pc. if you think about it if you did oversell yourself how can they prove your lying? but if you were actually honest they can say you dont have morals.
    for example if they asked- i never lie. the answer is agree or strongly agree. so i guess they believe the person who says he never lied. lol
    idk if the vulcans knew they were lying or what but it sucks. i cant believe i only got 1 wrong and messed up on the personality q's. the only hope i have is that they grade the main parts more than the personality section is worth.

Forum Member

we should all just protest every personality question. your telling me im not qualified to be a firefighter because i didnt do a favor more than 5 times last month?

Forum Member

It's a combination of the questions. One won't tie you up but if you lie on a regular basis, never help friends, sucked in highschool and do a poor job at work, why do they want you? (Not you specifically, JSnewyork, just using "you" in general).

Psychology Today had an interesting article this month about jobs grabbing a few résumés and going for the trial runs of employment. Could you see that? Every chucklehead and his mom running around with fire hoses.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    At the vulcan prep classes washington was saying they expected about 60% of test takers to have residency credit. i would think the way they set up residency requirements for this exam would have lowered that number a bit, but that was the only instance where any sort of # was mentioned about candidates with residency.
    They also gave us the wrong info on how to take the test, when their session was THE BEST CLASS BEING OFFERED. So I would try to find a secondary source that confirms what they say before taking anything they say as fact.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    It's a combination of the questions. One won't tie you up but if you lie on a regular basis, never help friends, sucked in highschool and do a poor job at work, why do they want you? (Not you specifically, JSnewyork, just using "you" in general).

Psychology Today had an interesting article this month about jobs grabbing a few résumés and going for the trial runs of employment. Could you see that? Every chucklehead and his mom running around with fire hoses.
    I know what you mean. And I agree with those questions you mentioned. Those aren't the ones I got wrong. The ones I got wrong were the ones that seemed irrelevant to anything and could have been answered either way depending how you interpret it.

Forum Member

I don't remember the questions like that. PM me if you don't want to openly voice it

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JSnewyork View Post
    I know what you mean. And I agree with those questions you mentioned. Those aren't the ones I got wrong. The ones I got wrong were the ones that seemed irrelevant to anything and could have been answered either way depending how you interpret it.
    thisssssssssssssss

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by kd44 View Post
    They also gave us the wrong info on how to take the test, when their session was THE BEST CLASS BEING OFFERED. So I would try to find a secondary source that confirms what they say before taking anything they say as fact.
    To be fair, as one who attended one of the vulcan sessions, I think they did a good job on how they felt you should take the test. Their session was much more valuable than that of the city's session, which barely provided any insight.

From what I saw and heard at the session I attended, I wouldn't go so far as to say they gave the wrong info on how to take the test.
    Last edited by jremNY; 05-16-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Spacing

Forum Member

To be honest I wouldn't get mad at the Vulcans, if anything the session I went to the guy giving the lecture actually said to answer all questions stongly agree/disagree. He said not to be wishy washy about it to be strong in your answer. Though their homework book said the opposite for certain questions. But the book was jacked straight from Don McNea.

Forum Member

Was just browsing the old 6019 thread I've been stalking since it was started. Cant believe that was almost 4 and a half years ago (and 5 and a half since the exam) and ive been checking it almost everyday since (boring job).

You guys who havent been on it should consider it very interesting reading filled with TONS of advice, and so similar to this thread its creepy. http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t97154/ (Fdny List 6019)

Just read the first page and consider some things, The first class from 6019 didnt start to even get their info packets till a full year after the exam. And the numbers for minority recruitment were being touted even back then as a huge leap forward. And we all know what happened anyway. (thanks Vulcans)

Basically what im saying is, having followed this process since 2006 its very likely going to be a long ***** journey from this point on, so try not to over speculate (im guilty of it too), or you'll drive yourself crazy. The 6019 answer key took like 8 months just to finalize and that test was not nearly as convoluted as this one.
    Last edited by River6019; 05-16-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Forum Member

to echo jrem & Tom, I felt The Vulcan's prep classes were in fact the best out there. The city's class was a joke. The Vulcan's weren't perfect, this was a brand new test no one knew what to expect. I don't like 99% of what The Vulcan's do and what they stand for, but I was very satisfied with how they & Don McNea prepared me for the exam.

Forum Member

So , guys, what's your input as far as list numbers go? Do you think they might speed up the process due to the nature of this litigation? Just trying to get some insight on what you guys think.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    to echo jrem & Tom, I felt The Vulcan's prep classes were in fact the best out there. The city's class was a joke. The Vulcan's weren't perfect, this was a brand new test no one knew what to expect. I don't like 99% of what The Vulcan's do and what they stand for, but I was very satisfied with how they & Don McNea prepared me for the exam.
    Gotta agree, as much as I hate what they do they had the best prep session out there for what the exam ended up being. They obviously didnt want us there to benifit from it but what are ya gonna do?
    The idea that they intentionally mislead people about certain things that they were wrong about is insane, their "desired" canditates would've had much more to loose from bad info than your average white guy considering only about 15% of the people in those sessions were non black.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fdnytolife4130 View Post
    So , guys, what's your input as far as list numbers go? Do you think they might speed up the process due to the nature of this litigation? Just trying to get some insight on what you guys think.
    i actually think it will be the opposite and be a longer process. because of the litigation the process will be slower, they dont want to overlook things and leave room for more lawsuits. such as speeding up a background investigation, a cpat or a medical where a group can complain they didnt have enough time to get their paperwork or prepare. but thats just my guess

Forum Member

I don't think the Vulcans purposefully mislead anyone. I'm just saying that some of the info that they gave us was wrong. Im not trying to single them out, I took other prep classes that I paid a lot of money for and they gave me some wrong info as well. Its just annoying that people who went to review sessions and took class were actually made worse off (as far as the personality section goes). It also bothers me a little that the instructor for the expensive class that I took said that he had people going all over the country to cities were PSI administers different test and he gave us a foolproof way to get a perfect score on the personality section, when in reality, he didn't really know what he was talking about.

Forum Member

Most definitely some questions that needed to be protested on the video/reading comp IMO.. Does anybody know if/when we would find out if our protests are deemed correct, compared to other exams ?

Forum Member

I wonder how everyone is gonna do as a whole. Just wondering where I stand in all this is killing me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYlistrider View Post
    Most definitely some questions that needed to be protested on the video/reading comp IMO.. Does anybody know if/when we would find out if our protests are deemed correct, compared to other exams ?
    If an answer is changed, its changed for everyone. (different answer, thrown out)

And per the PSI email:

"After the protest period is over, the Test Validation Board (TVB) reviews all protests. The TVB is empowered by Section 50-A of the New York State Civil Service Law, to change key answers, allow duplicate or multiple answers, or delete items from the test. After all protests are reviewed, the TVB prepares a report detailing its findings. After the eligible list has been established, all candidates who submitted protests will be called in to read the TVB Reports. The determinations made by the TVB are binding. Therefore, no further changes will be entertained. "

Forum Member

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/LA...WS+&QUERYDATA= $ $CVS50-A $ $@TXCVS050-A+&LIST=LAW+&BROWSER=BROWSER+&TOKEN=14910452+&TARG ET=VIEW

Just copy and paste for some reason I can't put A $ $ all together

MembersZone Subscriber

There are qualifier questions in these things.
    I do not lie.
    If you answered SA or A. Guess what? You're lying.
    Everybody lies. White lies. Small lies. Big lies. Fish tales. Sea stories.
    -Does my butt look big in this dress?
    -Absolutely not! (rolling eyes)
    You just lied. No one goes through life without telling some kind of lie here and there.
    This would actually warrant a D because if you go SD, you're flat out saying in your profile that you lie all the time. It's a fine line in some of these.

I have never stolen.
    You probably have. Inadvertently if not intentionally. Paper supplies, pens, etc from the office.
    Yes. Technically stealing.

That's my take. These tests have been around for awhile. It's only just now that we (FDNY) are seeing it used.

Again, you've got to stop speculating. You'll get nowhere and give yourself an ulcer. That won't do well when it comes to the medical

Hang tough.
    CableGuy516 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fdnytolife4130 View Post
    Laws of New York $ $CVS50-A $ $@TXCVS050-A+&LIST=LAW+&BROWSER=BROWSER+&TOKEN=14910452+&TARG ET=VIEW

Just copy and paste for some reason I can't put A $ $ all together
    Link still doesn't work, whats it for

Thread Information