Like Tree9885Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #24351
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ramabdel12 View Post
    Hey brothers!

    So I made it through the entire process and passed every physical test on the first go (will love to help anyone on the process) and ready for January.

    I wrote a response earlier on this forum in August about the FDNY ortho doctor requesting additional documents for a spinal fusion surgery 15 years ago in my neck (had a small benign tumor that was removed). I took everyones advice on the forum and brought the original paperwork and a letter from 2 surgeons who did the surgery saying I was in perfect condition, no limitations, no restrictions and ready to be a firemen for training. I sent all of this in one shot.

    Sadly and very devastated, they sent a letter giving me a proposal medical DQ and that I have the right to appeal and write a letter and attach supporting documentation.

    I really need all the advice on what to write in the letter, who I can speak to and what I should do because I never wanted something so badly as the fire department. My mentor and I were shocked by the DQ since the surgeons said the surgery should never cause any implications.

    I hope there is support from the brothers on this forum because family and friends havent been supportive in the process. i really appreciate it and God bless you all!
    I would consider speaking to a lawyer.

  2. #24352
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I would consider speaking to a lawyer.
    X2 . Damm bro that blows . Do u have a noticeable scar that I had to tell them . Or u just felt that it was the right thing to do . Man wish u the best , I would think after you went in with the paperwork and two surgeon recommendations . U should have been good to go . Call fdny and ask them what is it that they need from you . Or better yet go in person and ask them what more they need .

  3. #24353
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Ramab

    Try securing examples of other people with similar "procedures" - don't call it a surgery in your letter - that have gone on tho have fruitful careers in police fire or ems. That might offer perspective. Just a thought

  4. #24354
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,115

    Default

    A Good Job was pretty good. The proby school scenes were from my class. Not there's much there, but they didn't pull any punches for the cameras.
    4040clubBouncer likes this.

  5. #24355
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    Does any one know when the documentary is on again? It's not I'm HBO in demand?

  6. #24356
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Does any one know when the documentary is on again? It's not I'm HBO in demand?
    I just watched it on HBO-GO

  7. #24357
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ramabdel12 View Post
    Hey brothers!

    So I made it through the entire process and passed every physical test on the first go (will love to help anyone on the process) and ready for January.

    I wrote a response earlier on this forum in August about the FDNY ortho doctor requesting additional documents for a spinal fusion surgery 15 years ago in my neck (had a small benign tumor that was removed). I took everyones advice on the forum and brought the original paperwork and a letter from 2 surgeons who did the surgery saying I was in perfect condition, no limitations, no restrictions and ready to be a firemen for training. I sent all of this in one shot.

    Sadly and very devastated, they sent a letter giving me a proposal medical DQ and that I have the right to appeal and write a letter and attach supporting documentation.

    I really need all the advice on what to write in the letter, who I can speak to and what I should do because I never wanted something so badly as the fire department. My mentor and I were shocked by the DQ since the surgeons said the surgery should never cause any implications.

    I hope there is support from the brothers on this forum because family and friends havent been supportive in the process. i really appreciate it and God bless you all!
    I gotta second what Manhattan Medic said. I think a lawyer is your best option. They will be able to direct you and assist with the framing of the letter.

  8. #24358
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3

    Default

    This is for all who are getting close: I wanted to pass on a little info because I think I owe it to the forum, Ive been following since 2011. Come prepared. If you think your in shape just remember, your not. I considered myself to be very healthy and prepared but the school is beginning to taking its toll. Sleep deprivation and psychological stress directly affect your physical fitness. Theres no training you can do for that. If you want to be even slightly prepared, carry a 35lb duffel bag in your left had wherever your go...literally, do 400 burpees a day, 500 push ups a day and 30 min of planking a day just for a start. PREPARE your lower back (most important), shoulders, quads and forearms as they will take most of the abuse. Man up and retire the heavy weights for now. Do HIIT training on your own as much as possible! I used fitnessblender.com and I have to say I came prepared because of it. HIIT all day long! I went through the DoD fire academy and the NY academy is by far much harder, and I was young and in great shape for the DoD academy. You will push yourself through the Rock's evolutions until you vomit or pass out...not joking. There is absolutely no quitting or half azzing anything at the school. They will zero in on you if you show any slack or lack of motivation. Do NOT show weakness! By far, motivation alley (legs/forearms and cardio!!!)and the smokehouse (cant even describe the pain) are deal breakers for most proby's. It got the best of me. Not to mention I had to do the smoke house 3 times back to back, don't F it up. Many people bow out from these two. I thought I was a tough guy but the smoke house made me feel like a pure loser. Its very humbling. FST is fun if you are prepared and its better than PT. I'll do FST all day long over PT. We look forward to FST, it turns into a good competition. Remember, they WILL weed out the people who aren't cut out for it. Do what you need to do to get yourself in shape. You know if your are fat...you know if you cant run....There's absolutely no excuses at the Rock. When your at the back of the running pack they will embarrass you by asking how long you've had to prepare. NO EXCUSES.
    Get on it and Good Luck!

  9. #24359
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IAAZNY View Post
    This is for all who are getting close: I wanted to pass on a little info because I think I owe it to the forum, Ive been following since 2011. Come prepared. If you think your in shape just remember, your not. I considered myself to be very healthy and prepared but the school is beginning to taking its toll. Sleep deprivation and psychological stress directly affect your physical fitness. Theres no training you can do for that. If you want to be even slightly prepared, carry a 35lb duffel bag in your left had wherever your go...literally, do 400 burpees a day, 500 push ups a day and 30 min of planking a day just for a start. PREPARE your lower back (most important), shoulders, quads and forearms as they will take most of the abuse. Man up and retire the heavy weights for now. Do HIIT training on your own as much as possible! I used fitnessblender.com and I have to say I came prepared because of it. HIIT all day long! I went through the DoD fire academy and the NY academy is by far much harder, and I was young and in great shape for the DoD academy. You will push yourself through the Rock's evolutions until you vomit or pass out...not joking. There is absolutely no quitting or half azzing anything at the school. They will zero in on you if you show any slack or lack of motivation. Do NOT show weakness! By far, motivation alley (legs/forearms and cardio!!!)and the smokehouse (cant even describe the pain) are deal breakers for most proby's. It got the best of me. Not to mention I had to do the smoke house 3 times back to back, don't F it up. Many people bow out from these two. I thought I was a tough guy but the smoke house made me feel like a pure loser. Its very humbling. FST is fun if you are prepared and its better than PT. I'll do FST all day long over PT. We look forward to FST, it turns into a good competition. Remember, they WILL weed out the people who aren't cut out for it. Do what you need to do to get yourself in shape. You know if your are fat...you know if you cant run....There's absolutely no excuses at the Rock. When your at the back of the running pack they will embarrass you by asking how long you've had to prepare. NO EXCUSES.
    Get on it and Good Luck!
    Well said. There is no way to explain the physical and mental exhaustion the academy puts you through.

  10. #24360
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Anyone hear any word from their mentor? That should be happening soon

  11. #24361
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ramabdel12 View Post
    Hey brothers!

    So I made it through the entire process and passed every physical test on the first go (will love to help anyone on the process) and ready for January.

    I wrote a response earlier on this forum in August about the FDNY ortho doctor requesting additional documents for a spinal fusion surgery 15 years ago in my neck (had a small benign tumor that was removed). I took everyones advice on the forum and brought the original paperwork and a letter from 2 surgeons who did the surgery saying I was in perfect condition, no limitations, no restrictions and ready to be a firemen for training. I sent all of this in one shot.

    Sadly and very devastated, they sent a letter giving me a proposal medical DQ and that I have the right to appeal and write a letter and attach supporting documentation.

    I really need all the advice on what to write in the letter, who I can speak to and what I should do because I never wanted something so badly as the fire department. My mentor and I were shocked by the DQ since the surgeons said the surgery should never cause any implications.

    I hope there is support from the brothers on this forum because family and friends havent been supportive in the process. i really appreciate it and God bless you all!
    I was officially dq'd after my procedure but I had to appeal and write a letter as well. Pm me or I think I've emailed you before so shoot me an email. Just gimme a day or two for me to find it. This all happened when I was on 6019 so it's all packed away. I know I still have it though cuz I kept it just in case.
    Matador611 likes this.

  12. #24362
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IAAZNY View Post
    This is for all who are getting close: I wanted to pass on a little info because I think I owe it to the forum, Ive been following since 2011. Come prepared. If you think your in shape just remember, your not. I considered myself to be very healthy and prepared but the school is beginning to taking its toll. Sleep deprivation and psychological stress directly affect your physical fitness. Theres no training you can do for that. If you want to be even slightly prepared, carry a 35lb duffel bag in your left had wherever your go...literally, do 400 burpees a day, 500 push ups a day and 30 min of planking a day just for a start. PREPARE your lower back (most important), shoulders, quads and forearms as they will take most of the abuse. Man up and retire the heavy weights for now. Do HIIT training on your own as much as possible! I used fitnessblender.com and I have to say I came prepared because of it. HIIT all day long! I went through the DoD fire academy and the NY academy is by far much harder, and I was young and in great shape for the DoD academy. You will push yourself through the Rock's evolutions until you vomit or pass out...not joking. There is absolutely no quitting or half azzing anything at the school. They will zero in on you if you show any slack or lack of motivation. Do NOT show weakness! By far, motivation alley (legs/forearms and cardio!!!)and the smokehouse (cant even describe the pain) are deal breakers for most proby's. It got the best of me. Not to mention I had to do the smoke house 3 times back to back, don't F it up. Many people bow out from these two. I thought I was a tough guy but the smoke house made me feel like a pure loser. Its very humbling. FST is fun if you are prepared and its better than PT. I'll do FST all day long over PT. We look forward to FST, it turns into a good competition. Remember, they WILL weed out the people who aren't cut out for it. Do what you need to do to get yourself in shape. You know if your are fat...you know if you cant run....There's absolutely no excuses at the Rock. When your at the back of the running pack they will embarrass you by asking how long you've had to prepare. NO EXCUSES.
    Get on it and Good Luck!
    Thank you for posting all that info. When you say about lower back i just have a question. My lower back has been weak and i injured it nothing major but since then i have gotten it much stronger from where it was however not where i want it to be. I am curious if you have advice on anything i can do to build up my lower back i do stretches every day for it but just wondering if theres anything else thanks

  13. #24363
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDEngine View Post
    Thank you for posting all that info. When you say about lower back i just have a question. My lower back has been weak and i injured it nothing major but since then i have gotten it much stronger from where it was however not where i want it to be. I am curious if you have advice on anything i can do to build up my lower back i do stretches every day for it but just wondering if theres anything else thanks
    deadlifts with strict form and not extremely heavy weight (~135-275 lbs is a good range IMO) a couple of times per week would be good.

  14. #24364
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDEngine View Post
    Thank you for posting all that info. When you say about lower back i just have a question. My lower back has been weak and i injured it nothing major but since then i have gotten it much stronger from where it was however not where i want it to be. I am curious if you have advice on anything i can do to build up my lower back i do stretches every day for it but just wondering if theres anything else thanks
    Lower back you could do super mans and swimmers all body weight stuff, you could do the supermans with 5/10 lbs dunbells, lower back extensions with and without weight and yoga is great..
    here is a site with videos to show you how to do the workouts http://www.workoutbox.com/exercises/...ack-exercises/
    Last edited by bklynmike91; 09-10-2014 at 12:10 PM.

  15. #24365
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Another recruitment email telling me to be in shape.
    bklynmike91 likes this.

  16. #24366
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IAAZNY View Post
    By far, motivation alley (legs/forearms and cardio!!!)and the smokehouse (cant even describe the pain) are deal breakers for most proby's. It
    Bro we didn't lose a single proby to the smokehouse and lost some indirectly to motivation alley (got MRSA likely due to knee wounds from it), but no one quit because of motivation alley. The academy is hard but I think you're exaggerating a bit man...

    I mentioned on this forum, a while ago, that it doesn't seem like it should be that bad if you have a legitimate athletic background and people were acting like I was a blasphemer. Well I know for myself now that I was correct lol. For me the hardest parts are the long days, lack of sleep/social life, and the disciplinary aspect is kind of frustrating. And I'm not in any sort of phenomenal shape.

    Sure PT and what not kind of suck, but it's business as usual. Professional athletes, even those in tip top condition, get exhausted during their sport. It's just the nature of athletic endeavor.
    Rdarf85 and bklynmike91 like this.

  17. #24367
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antmdog View Post
    Bro we didn't lose a single proby to the smokehouse and lost some indirectly to motivation alley (got MRSA likely due to knee wounds from it), but no one quit because of motivation alley. The academy is hard but I think you're exaggerating a bit man...

    I mentioned on this forum, a while ago, that it doesn't seem like it should be that bad if you have a legitimate athletic background and people were acting like I was a blasphemer. Well I know for myself now that I was correct lol. For me the hardest parts are the long days, lack of sleep/social life, and the disciplinary aspect is kind of frustrating. And I'm not in any sort of phenomenal shape.

    Sure PT and what not kind of suck, but it's business as usual. Professional athletes, even those in tip top condition, get exhausted during their sport. It's just the nature of athletic endeavor.
    I'm pretty sure we lost a couple of guys to the smokehouse, could be wrong. That said I'll give my thoughts on how hard I thought the academy was and what were and are the hardest things to adjust to once I graduate...hopefully I do graduate lol. Doing pretty good right now, just gotta keep my foot on the gas.

    That said a little advice to the guys going into the next class. Read the manual now, and follow the study guide they provide. Most of the manual won't make sense but once you start doing it hands on and you actually have instructors explaining it to you it'll make sense. And since you've been reading it the past several months you will retain and understand that much easier and more importantly quicker. Also start running now and fall in love with push ups, burpees, and planks. Also no one gives a **** about how much you can bench and squat. Start doing insanity or a HIIT program.

  18. #24368
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    889

    Default

    This is probably the third time I've said this, but goddamn you guys lucked out with the weather this summer. This will likely never happen again. Unreal perfect days...
    DannyD0pe and bklynmike91 like this.

  19. #24369
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    This is probably the third time I've said this, but goddamn you guys lucked out with the weather this summer. This will likely never happen again. Unreal perfect days...
    When Ur out there in gear and running around . U can't tell the dam difference . I work outside I should know , the difference between 70 and 90 is negligible. It all feels the Damm same .

  20. #24370
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by k20dc2 View Post
    When Ur out there in gear and running around . U can't tell the dam difference . I work outside I should know , the difference between 70 and 90 is negligible. It all feels the Damm same .

    I'll go with that lol

  21. #24371
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    17

    Default

    ...............
    Last edited by TheBrooklynKid; 09-11-2014 at 02:10 AM.

  22. #24372
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3

    Default

    What do you wear to the cpat oreintation? I got a call to attend Thursday at 6pm but the person I spoke to didn't have an answer for me, just said make sure you bring an ID.

  23. #24373
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Just look clean and presentable that's all and you will be fine

  24. #24374
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fdny2016 View Post
    What do you wear to the cpat oreintation? I got a call to attend Thursday at 6pm but the person I spoke to didn't have an answer for me, just said make sure you bring an ID.
    Go business casual

  25. #24375
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    I watched the documentary last night on demand. It was pretty good but a touch of reality about how dangerous the job really is. The black women talking about skin grafts probably hit me the most. I still want in thou lol.

    is this a more than one time documentary, like a series?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 5 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 4 guests)

  1. SIFire

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 04:52 AM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register