Like Tree11268Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

I got 6 nc and 12pc, all I'm saying is thank god for residency credit. Without it I would not be here anymore. Another thing mr.gimmefire600 is, your not even sure you'll make it to the academy. At least I have faith on my side. Let's say you do make it to the academy, remember your not out of the woods yet. What if you go and you quit because you don't think you can't bare anymore. Guys remember don't get to comfortable with your score/list number. We all have a long way to go and (sorry to say) a few of us won't even see the medical portion of the hiring process. Other than that I'm sure I will see the physical of this process. Trust me I'll be fine, I practice Atleast the first portion of the cpat everyday on my official stairmaster, do you, or have you been laying your fat a s s down on your bed scratching your ball and masturbating to your Xbox all this time? Stfu and enjoy your f u c k I n g score a s s h o l e. I never came on here to tell anyone any different. Overall I really do wish you all the best of luck and god bless you all.
    Last edited by Fdnytolife4130; 05-17-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy516 View Post
    C'mon guys enough with the arguing, let's get this thread going in a positive direction. Not a single person has addressed my question from the other day:

Let's say you feel you did great after coming out of the review. How are you preparing for the CPAT? It could be in a year, or it could be in a couple months for all we know, so if you think you did well I suggest working out big time if you haven't been. Is anyone doing any specific CPAT workouts? Right now I'm doing your standard running and weight lifting but I'd love to hear from people who are doing other workouts.

You'll hear this often, but that's because it's true....train for the academy, not the CPAT. In my experience the CPAT is not very difficult. Lots of leg work, and using a weighted vest on stairs should be enough prep. The key is to get yourself to a point physically where once you get off that step mill your tank isn't empty.

For now I do something very similar to crossfit (but less Olympic lifting, more cardio driven) 4 days a week, and get some lifting in 2 days a week to keep the major muscle groups strong. No running yet. I hate running, and will put that off for now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fdnytolife4130 View Post
    I got 6 nc and 12pc, all I'm saying is thank god for residency credit. Without it I would not be here anymore. Another thing mr.gimmefire600 is, your not even sure you'll make it to the academy. At least I have faith on my side. Let's say you do make it to the academy, remember your not out of the woods yet. What if you go and you quit because you don't think you can't bare anymore. Guys remember don't get to comfortable with your score/list number. We all have a long way to go and (sorry to say) a few of us won't even see the medical portion of the hiring process. Other than that I'm sure I will see the physical of this process. Trust me I'll be fine, I practice Atleast the first portion of the cpat everyday on my official stairmaster, do you, or have you been laying your fat a s s down on your bed scratching your ball and masturbating to your Xbox all this time? Stfu and enjoy your f u c k I n g score a s s h o l e. I never came on here to tell anyone any different. Overall I really do wish you all the best of luck and god bless you all.
    LOL! I could have done without that image!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MerritMatters View Post
    And since we've decided to be dicks on here...have you noticed your demeanor on the 6019 thread. You can sure be a dick and a **** stirrer, so i guess we all know you lied quite a bit on the personality section.

I don't usually get like this either, but I guess you bring that out in people.
    Touche, you think I'm a dick or a **** stirrer but I just tell it like it is. Most of the guys on here are afraid to go against the grain and have their own opinions because they're afraid of bam ( btw calmb4storm we miss you) or someone else otj telling them to get in the sink.

I've been through the ringer trying to get on this job as all of us on 6019 have, and when some douc&e like skav wants to dance on 6019's grave and then **** on it I'm not gonna take it lightly and I'm not gonna forget it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    You'll hear this often, but that's because it's true....train for the academy, not the CPAT. In my experience the CPAT is not very difficult. Lots of leg work, and using a weighted vest on stairs should be enough prep. The key is to get yourself to a point physically where once you get off that step mill your tank isn't empty.

For now I do something very similar to crossfit (but less Olympic lifting, more cardio driven) 4 days a week, and get some lifting in 2 days a week to keep the major muscle groups strong. No running yet. I hate running, and will put that off for now.
    I like this here. Train for the academy. That is very true. CPAT is something to take seriously but if you train for the academy you will have all the confidence for the CPAT. But this from a few people on the job have told me that the academy is not a cake walk.

I am guilty of this also the not running part, but I throw in a light jog or hop on the bicycle for a few miles.

For leg strength because thats what kills after the step mill I try and get in a few squats and leg presses. But dont forget to stretch. In the past i've done the P90x and Insanity not at the same time but there is a hybrid of the two together out there but it only works for people who can master the diet plan they ask you to participate in.(not saying it wont work but if you want to look like the ppl on tv you need the diet) The main thing about the CPAT is cardio endurance. working on that and strengthening your muscle groups especially your core will help you out tremendously.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    Touche, you think I'm a dick or a **** stirrer but I just tell it like it is. Most of the guys on here are afraid to go against the grain and have their own opinions because they're afraid of bam ( btw calmb4storm we miss you) or someone else otj telling them to get in the sink.

I've been through the ringer trying to get on this job as all of us on 6019 have, and when some douc&e like skav wants to dance on 6019's grave and then **** on it I'm not gonna take it lightly and I'm not gonna forget it.
    Dude, I'm right there with you. 6019 comes first and will never forget the hardships of it. It was a tough time for everyone that went through the process and no one here can take that away. If you've got a problem with what he said about 6019 send him a PM and straighten it out.

For right now we have to move on and keep our goals focused in the now. We're here to provide helpful info with one another in a long process, lets stay focused on that.

Forum Member

C'mon guys enough with the arguing, let's get this thread going in a positive direction. Not a single person has addressed my question from the other day:

Let's say you feel you did great after coming out of the review. How are you preparing for the CPAT? It could be in a year, or it could be in a couple months for all we know, so if you think you did well I suggest working out big time if you haven't been. Is anyone doing any specific CPAT workouts? Right now I'm doing your standard running and weight lifting but I'd love to hear from people who are doing other workouts.
    Personally weight lifting wise I'm about the same as I always did, about an hour of lifting 3-5x a week. I run anywhere from 4-5 miles 3-5x a week. I want to up that to at least 6 miles per run. And I do the step mill for 20 minutes at 80 steps per minute 3-5x a week. But I don't do it with a vest on. When I go to my parents to do laundry I go up and down their stairs with a weight vest on. My biggest problem is getting back into a consistent schedule. Also by my house a gym is offering FDNY Physical exam prep courses so I'm going to look into that. But I don't want to sigh up for that until I know my score and list number. If I have no hope of being hired I have better use of my money.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bensonhurstlovesme View Post
    i dont know why anyone listened to those racist vulcan *******s anyway.
    they probably bull****ted the whites and told the minorities the real answers.
    they took your money either way. i paid for a prep book that was inaccurate as well but i got mine off amazon for 15 bucks. no much of a loss there. i feel bad for those of you who spent hundreds on the vulcan society prep.
    honest question, what made you guys think they were any different then any other prep? if anything, as a NON-minority, i would not trust them.
    You my friend sound like a racist. Also the vulcans test prep was twenty dollars for two sessions. No one knows how the test is going to be graded. So RELAX.

Forum Member

Hoping to help railroad this thread to the topic of training haha. It is basically the only way we are gonna stay sane during the long waiting periods after all.

Common theory is you should be comfortable running at least 5 miles a day at 8 minute miles for the academy. So, since I heard that I've been going 6 miles 2-3 times a week at a ~7:05-7:15 minute pace. Im lucky enough to live right next to Randalls island and get to run around the academy 1.5 mile qualifying course before I head back over the bridge. Sometimes I'll bike around the whole island for a lower impact aerobic workout (but its mainly an excuse to see the Rock and get motivated).

As far as strength training, I just quit my gym a couple weeks ago with the intent of forcing myself to do more high rep stuff. Before is was all bench, skull crunch, heavy curls, etc, and it was great for power. But logically who cares if you can knock out 15 reps of 225 lbs on the bench if you weigh 225 lbs and end up ruining your knees in the academy. So now its all push-ups, chin-ups, pull-ups, crunches/ bicycles/ leglifts, dips, and low weight curls. That once a week combined with the 6 mile runs 2-3 times a week and I hope to get down to 185-190 lbs by academy. Already dropped 10 pounds off my 225 so on the right track.

I just know I'll be having a much better time at the academy if im not lugging around 30 extra pounds of meat.

Forum Member

Hey River that's a great pace for those long runs, did you used to be a cross country runner or something? Can I ask how you got to that point? Growing up I was never a runner but I just got into it about 2 years ago. I can do the 5 mile distance runs but my times come in at about 8:40 per mile. When I do the 1.5 miler I can log about an 11:15 if I go 110%. Any tips on how to cut the time on those long runs? I kind of hit a plateau with my times 6 months ago and can't get past this point. I used to do interval sprints at the track but I have slacked in the past couple of months on those.

Forum Member

Hey River that's a great pace for those long runs, did you used to be a cross country runner or something? Can I ask how you got to that point? Growing up I was never a runner but I just got into it about 2 years ago. I can do the 5 mile distance runs but my times come in at about 8:40 per mile. When I do the 1.5 miler I can log about an 11:15 if I go 110%. Any tips on how to cut the time on those long runs? I kind of hit a plateau with my times 6 months ago and can't get past this point. I used to do interval sprints at the track but I have slacked in the past couple of months on those.
    Honestly this might sound crazy but I was closer to 8 minute miles when I was running only 2.5 miles at a time. After I heard the 5 mile a day in the academy thing I just said &^%$ it and tryed to go 6 miles (never having done more the 3 miles at a time even with high school and college sports).

So after a couple weeks and like 5-6 runs at 6 miles the time just jumped up (or down) to ~7 minute miles. Im guessing the 2-3 mile runs i was doing just werent continuous or long enough to make any real difference on my aerobic ability/ time. Like benching 3 reps at a time and wondering why your weight never goes up. I guess the idea is just get out there and run 5-6 miles and stick with it even if your pace is slow, eventually your time will just fall off.

Forum Member

First of all I want to say what's up to everyone and congrats to everyone who feels they did good on the test. I came across this forum by mistake but glad I did because I'm sure everyone here is on the same boat as me. I was a former 6019 candidate standing in the low 1800's and finished the whole process so for everyone from 6019 waiting to get on and gotten screwed, I feel your pain...

Now back to business, exam 2000 score so far... 1 NC ( which I'm 99.9999% sure it will get turned over) and 8 PC on the personality part which most on my part felt unfair to some or most of us. Oh yea plus residency credit. OH Snap I just got my first post! Lol
    nycthirteen likes this.

Forum Member

River, those really are some great times. Sh*t man, I run marathons and my 6 mile times are nowhere close to being that good.

My two cents - training for the Rock and not the CPAT sounds like a good idea, but I've heard from several sources who have gone through the process that keeping your heart rate down on the stairmaster, while wearing the vest, is not as easy as it might sound. It's not just about completing the exercise, but keeping your hr down. In the last few months I've taken to wearing my vest with anywhere from 20-30 lbs whenever I do CrossFit WOD's or whenever I go out for 3-4 mile runs. Just getting used to the weight for both the vest on the CPAT, as well as (hopefully) geared up at the Rock.

As for run times actually at the Academy, I've never heard of anyone needing to run a fast pace on any of those runs. This isn't Marines OCS - if you are averaging 9 min/mile at the academy, from all accounts you should be good to go.

And Merritt, congrats on a kick-***** score. Fingers crossed for you to be in the first class - it'll be great to know that some of us from 6019 will get in the door as soon as it opens.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    As for run times actually at the Academy, I've never heard of anyone needing to run a fast pace on any of those runs. This isn't Marines OCS - if you are averaging 9 min/mile at the academy, from all accounts you should be good to go.
    Where did you hear this if you don't mind my asking? I believe someone (maybe Irish6019?) had said 5 miles at an 8 min pace earlier in this thread. Perhaps bam or one of our OTJ guys can help us out on this one?

River, weren't you afraid of wear and tear injuries jumping your runs up from 2-3 miles to 6 miles overnight? I've read that you shouldn't go up more than 10% in distance a week to avoid stress injuries. You must have a tough body!

Forum Member

So I had my review the other day. Perfect score on the first part, but 14 pc on the back end. I do have 5 points residency. Think I still stand a chance? Was really disappointed to be honest, but you never know. I have a high pd list number so I'll survive I guess ha
    nycthirteen likes this.

Forum Member

Where did you hear this if you don't mind my asking? I believe someone (maybe Irish6019?) had said 5 miles at an 8 min pace earlier in this thread. Perhaps bam or one of our OTJ guys can help us out on this one?

River, weren't you afraid of wear and tear injuries jumping your runs up from 2-3 miles to 6 miles overnight? I've read that you shouldn't go up more than 10% in distance a week to avoid stress injuries. You must have a tough body!
    None of my friends or family on the job, including my brother or anyone in his house, ran faster than that. The runs at the academy (in their experience) were almost all group runs that were not at an insane pace. I am more than happy to be corrected by anyone OTJ.

Forum Member

Thanks Nyc13 and cableguy haha, I take a lot of vitamins and booze enough to kill off the weak cells haha. Main motivation is 90% of the people in academy are gonna be younger than me. The idea of being over 30 and having to keep up with a bunch of kid's in their 20's has me terrified enough to push it that extra bit.

Welcome Jukez, what took you so long?! Jonnybones, unless they handle the personality section like the Philly test where its its own separate test (which I pray to God they dont) I wouldnt stress about dropping 12 PC on section 5, it will probably only ding you 3 points total, and you might even get a few of those back after protests.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnybones View Post
    So I had my review the other day. Perfect score on the first part, but 14 pc on the back end. I do have 5 points residency. Think I still stand a chance? Was really disappointed to be honest, but you never know. I have a high pd list number so I'll survive I guess ha
    I'm in the same boat as you. Perfect score on the first part but 12 partials on the personality. I felt those were bogus and I'm really praying most of those get transferred over to full after the protest. Also I have the 5pts residency. I swear after getting over 100 on 6019 this is the last thing I'd ever thought I'd have to stress over. Good luck to us all, Lord knows we need it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    River, those really are some great times. Sh*t man, I run marathons and my 6 mile times are nowhere close to being that good.

My two cents - training for the Rock and not the CPAT sounds like a good idea, but I've heard from several sources who have gone through the process that keeping your heart rate down on the stairmaster, while wearing the vest, is not as easy as it might sound. It's not just about completing the exercise, but keeping your hr down. In the last few months I've taken to wearing my vest with anywhere from 20-30 lbs whenever I do CrossFit WOD's or whenever I go out for 3-4 mile runs. Just getting used to the weight for both the vest on the CPAT, as well as (hopefully) geared up at the Rock.

And Merritt, congrats on a kick-***** score. Fingers crossed for you to be in the first class - it'll be great to know that some of us from 6019 will get in the door as soon as it opens.
    Appreciate it, just hope its good enough...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sffdnyhopeful09 View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you. Perfect score on the first part but 12 partials on the personality. I felt those were bogus and I'm really praying most of those get transferred over to full after the protest. Also I have the 5pts residency. I swear after getting over 100 on 6019 this is the last thing I'd ever thought I'd have to stress over. Good luck to us all, Lord knows we need it.
    What was your list number on 6019 if you don't mind me asking

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ICNYC View Post
    What was your list number on 6019 if you don't mind me asking
    I was 1102.

Forum Member

I was informed that I needed to show up for the run and just a few hours later the class was shelved because of the fine judge.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sffdnyhopeful09 View Post
    I was informed that I needed to show up for the run and just a few hours later the class was shelved because of the fine judge.
    That makes two of us.. Ive never been so disappointed in my life. Talk about putting everything on hold.
    sffdnyhopeful09 likes this.
    FDNY Exam 6019 List# 14XX.
    Lawsuit Victim: Completed process, cancelled academy.

FDNY Exam 2000 List# 6XX.

Forum Member

So I went to review the other day and I got 2 wrong and 15 pc I hope the residency credit will cover the 2 wrong. Hope I'm still in the game I was devastated when I saw the two I had gotten wrong.
    Last edited by FutureFirefighter2000; 05-17-2012 at 08:46 PM.

Forum Member

All the scores coming in I'm getting nervous with my 2 wrong/6 partial credits now. Thank god I still have my residency points.

Thread Information