Like Tree9516Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

in terms of the guy with a 90 at cpat training. if he took the test and didn't add veterans preference - a lot of guys try to use those points for promotional exams instead of the oc - that would dramatically increase his score. he also could have added residency or had that taken away.

also a 90 is a lot different than "he scored in the 90's"

but yea who knows, could be a name typo switcheroo too

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by k20dc2 View Post
    It's possible that there are two candidates on the list with the same names . And I mean identical names , And he just happens to be the one with the higher score , it's all based on the social security number .
    All based on SSN? Can others confirm this also? If so, the next competitive, I'm pretty much effed and put onto the low end.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by F1R3DNY_Alphabet_City View Post
    All based on SSN? Can others confirm this also? If so, the next competitive, I'm pretty much effed and put onto the low end.
    Social security numbers are used to rank candidates who have the same score. I think, correct me if I'm wrong, that the city uses the 2nd to last number of your social because that number is truly random. There is not a fair way to rank 1,000 people who all scored the same. Therefore, a completely non-biased solution has to be implemented. Hence, the social security number system.

If two people with the same name score differently, then they are ranked accordingly. They're going to need to provide DCAS and the city with their social every time they contact the city due to that being the differentiation.

Hope this helps.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by F1R3DNY_Alphabet_City View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dwm326 View Post
    Social security numbers are used to rank candidates who have the same score. I think, correct me if I'm wrong, that the city uses the 2nd to last number of your social because that number is truly random. There is not a fair way to rank 1,000 people who all scored the same. Therefore, a completely non-biased solution has to be implemented. Hence, the social security number system.

If two people with the same name score differently, then they are ranked accordingly. They're going to need to provide DCAS and the city with their social every time they contact the city due to that being the differentiation.

Hope this helps.
    Yeah. Hundreds and in some cases over a thousand people have the same exact score on this list. So they rank as described by dwm (not positive on exactly what part of the ss# they use).

And in many cases, it is the difference between being on the upper end of the scores and potentially not getting reached for a class, as I and a couple others on here may have to realize come winter.

Here is the list if you have never seen it, F1R3DNY:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/pdf/job...00-d100512.pdf
    Last edited by roadrunner09; Today at 02:21 PM.

Forum Member

Hope this helps.
    I believe they way they do it is they take the last 5 numbers of your SSN and combine it with the first 4 numbers.

Forum Member

Boom.

Signed up for CPAT training ... will be there this Saturday. Also waiting to here back from my mentor, whoever that may be.

Question ... what is it like at CPAT training at the rock ? What should we expect ... and what is the dress code ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Yeah. Hundreds and in some cases over a thousand people have the same exact score on this list. So they rank as described by dwm (not positive on exactly what part of the ss# they use).

And in many cases, it is the difference between being on the upper end of the scores and potentially not getting reached for a class, as I and a couple others on here may have to realize come winter.

Here is the list if you have never seen it, F1R3DNY:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/pdf/job...00-d100512.pdf

Hope this helps.
    Hmm.. well that being said mine last 2 fked me up unless i can change it somehow. **93...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Pyle View Post
    Boom.

Signed up for CPAT training ... will be there this Saturday. Also waiting to here back from my mentor, whoever that may be.

Question ... what is it like at CPAT training at the rock ? What should we expect ... and what is the dress code ?
    Workout gear. No shorts. You will be practicing the cpat.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EKFCASPER View Post
    Workout gear. No shorts. You will be practicing the cpat.
    Did you go through it already ? Was it tough ? Also, Approximately how long can we be there practicing ... would like to get as much in as I can.

Forum Member

Did you go through it already ? Was it tough ? Also, Approximately how long can we be there practicing ... would like to get as much in as I can.
    They said at the info night that the cpat prep will run from 6-10pm. We've been getting out a little after 9. But each day can vary. I have done the cpat prep on Monday. As for how hard it is, it will vary based on each person. If you haven't done anything physical to prep yourself it may be tough. I found it fun and very little challenging, but then again I have been training for quite some time. It could be a real reality check like I have seen for some on Monday night. They'll tell you if you haven't been Training by now it may be too late. The Lt. On Monday stated You don't wanna go into the academy just making it passed the cpat and medical. It will be 10x harder going forward.

Forum Member

I'm like 98% sure that the list is ordered based on the 5th digit of SS#. I lost ~1300 spots because my 5th digit is 8 (scored 99)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EKFCASPER View Post
    They said at the info night that the cpat prep will run from 6-10pm. We've been getting out a little after 9. But each day can vary. I have done the cpat prep on Monday. As for how hard it is, it will vary based on each person. If you haven't done anything physical to prep yourself it may be tough. I found it fun and very little challenging, but then again I have been training for quite some time. It could be a real reality check like I have seen for some on Monday night. They'll tell you if you haven't been Training by now it may be too late. The Lt. On Monday stated You don't wanna go into the academy just making it passed the cpat and medical. It will be 10x harder going forward.
    To add: You will get to run through the course once. From what I remember afterwards they'll give you some extra work to do, then have you help reset the course while others are doing it. When everyone is finished they may have you do some PT stuff after. If you keep going every week eventually the #s will decrease and you'll end up with more time at the end to do extra PT. It can be a good introduction to what to expect in the academy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    To add: You will get to run through the course once. From what I remember afterwards they'll give you some extra work to do, then have you help reset the course while others are doing it. When everyone is finished they may have you do some PT stuff after. If you keep going every week eventually the #s will decrease and you'll end up with more time at the end to do extra PT. It can be a good introduction to what to expect in the academy.
    Thanks for the info gentlemen.

How many weeks after the DCAS CPAT orientation date is the actual CPAT test ?

I read a few pages back it was about a month, but not sure.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info gentlemen.

How many weeks after the DCAS CPAT orientation date is the actual CPAT test ?

I read a few pages back it was about a month, but not sure.
    Your first 'practice' (aka first chance to take and pass it) is probably somewhere around a month after, give or take.

All of this should be a relative formality. CPAT practice is good for getting the technique down, however if anyone finds it physically challenging then that should serve as a GIANT wakeup call.

Forum Member

For those of you starting CPAT prep and want to tailor your training early to put yourself in a position for a very low time, focus on grip strength, legs, and core. Granted, the techniques the instructors teach you help a ton, but I was able to bring my time down to sub 8 minutes by doing things like towel pull-ups, low weight/high rep squats, and planks/sit-ups. To be completely honest, I didn't even train on the step mill that much with the vest other than to get a feel for the rhythm. Just SQUAT AND RUN, and don't rest between exercises.

Thread Information