Like Tree9532Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #24526
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I eat nothing like that and not much at all but weigh too much for my height. I'm gonna try and cut out aspartame and see if that helps.
    yea all the media outlets are putting articles out about the negative effects of sugar substitutes. good luck. me, i never liked the taste of it

  2. #24527
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    I have been doing a lot of research into this background check we will have. In New York you can't have anything sealed or expunged. At least not for background checks done by the city, like FDNY, NYPD. If you had the class c misdemeanor from another state you will have to check if it is truly sealed. Honestly, I would pay a lawyer to find out if it is truly sealed/expunged before not listing it on the background.

    The problem is when the NYC does a background check they will pull all arrests, even if they were dismissed/expunged/sealed. They will also use this against us. What was your Class c misdemeanor for? If it was drug, theft, violence related they will especially take that into account.

    Honestly, the biggest worry about the process is the background check. Unless your record is squeaky clean, you should be worried. I'll say that I'm worried, even though my record isn't that bad. But when I take my entire background into account, criminal, work history, etc., I will say that I'm worried.

    There is also a rumor that if you're white they are looking to disqualify you for any reason to try and get the minority numbers up.

    Another thing to mention is someone that I was in contact with was telling me he had to list all his arrests that were all dismissed. I searched his posts today and found out that they disqualified him for these arrests which were all dismissed. He was also asking about the appeals and hiring a lawyer.
    Disregard anything and everything this man just said . He has no clue what he is talking about. The rumor u heard is just that a rumor . It's false . Won't waste time adressing it.

    as far as the background goes , if u have multiple violations . Arrest etcc. Yes that will raise a flag , fdny is looking for a repeated pattern . If u slipped up once or twice for non related issues , then it would not hurt you as much as u may think , fdny is much more lineant than nypd is .

    Just be upfront about everything and don't allow them to find out on their own . It shows that your honest , honesty plays a key role.
    No need to go looking for lawyers .

    Remember innocent until proven guilty. If u were convicted of a crime hey that's a different story , but if the case was Dismissed then you have nothing to worry about. A court of law already valuedated your innocence.
    Last edited by k20dc2; Today at 12:06 AM.

  3. #24528
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Astoria
    Posts
    121

    Default

    I heard a rumor yesterday that I wanted to throw on here for you animals to tear apart.

    While hanging out at my brothers firehouse yesterday, one of the others guys said that a candidate stopped by a few days before claiming to be headed to metrotech for processing. I say "claiming" because he also claimed to have a list number around 2900.

    Being at 36XX, I want to believe this, but the realist inside me think this is a load of BS.

    Any thoughts?

  4. #24529
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dwm326 View Post
    I heard a rumor yesterday that I wanted to throw on here for you animals to tear apart.

    While hanging out at my brothers firehouse yesterday, one of the others guys said that a candidate stopped by a few days before claiming to be headed to metrotech for processing. I say "claiming" because he also claimed to have a list number around 2900.

    Being at 36XX, I want to believe this, but the realist inside me think this is a load of BS.

    Any thoughts?
    I'm 26xx and the furthest we've gotten is out orientation letter from dcas for cpat , that's it, nothing with metro tech yet

  5. #24530
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Hey, so I finally got my packet again after differing a year ago which I don't recommend because it was a pain getting back on track but anyway, my intake interview is on Oct 2nd.
    My question is how exactly do I go about getting the detailed earning statement? I'm sure it's been talked about here at length but I can't seem to find it. Any insight is appreciated.

  6. #24531
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RJMacReady View Post
    Hey, so I finally got my packet again after differing a year ago which I don't recommend because it was a pain getting back on track but anyway, my intake interview is on Oct 2nd.
    My question is how exactly do I go about getting the detailed earning statement? I'm sure it's been talked about here at length but I can't seem to find it. Any insight is appreciated.
    go in person to social security office. otherwise, if you order it online, don't expect it to arrive until late december or so. what years are they asking you for?

    oct 2nd for an intake. hmmm wonder what that means

  7. #24532
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    go in person to social security office. otherwise, if you order it online, don't expect it to arrive until late december or so. what years are they asking you for?

    oct 2nd for an intake. hmmm wonder what that means
    Hopefully we start getting our intake packets this week. But no one knows for sure.

  8. #24533
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Are intake interviews a single person thing or is it like a group thing?

  9. #24534
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matador611 View Post
    Are intake interviews a single person thing or is it like a group thing?
    a whole large group is called for intake. then you hand in paper work one at a time and after small groups of people that have handed in paperwork are taken up stairs and fingerprinted. but its not an individual interview along the lines of 'tell me your strengths and weaknesses'
    Matador611 likes this.

  10. #24535
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    14

    Default

    They want five years back. Just to be clear though, do I need the one that you have to pay for?
    I've looked online and all I found was a form that they want you to mail to Baltimore with like $102 or $132 or something. This is the only thing I don't have ready to go, I want to turn in as much as possible right off the bat.

  11. #24536
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    368

    Default

    It's the one for $102. If you mail it in to Baltimore you won't have it by the 2nd. Go and pick it up if it's literally the last piece of paperwork you need. That will hold you up and social security can be very very slow.

  12. #24537
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    It's the one for $102. If you mail it in to Baltimore you won't have it by the 2nd. Go and pick it up if it's literally the last piece of paperwork you need. That will hold you up and social security can be very very slow.
    Ok thanks, I'm gonna go next week and get that done.

  13. #24538
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by k20dc2 View Post
    Disregard anything and everything this man just said . He has no clue what he is talking about. The rumor u heard is just that a rumor . It's false . Won't waste time adressing it.

    as far as the background goes , if u have multiple violations . Arrest etcc. Yes that will raise a flag , fdny is looking for a repeated pattern . If u slipped up once or twice for non related issues , then it would not hurt you as much as u may think , fdny is much more lineant than nypd is .

    Just be upfront about everything and don't allow them to find out on their own . It shows that your honest , honesty plays a key role.
    No need to go looking for lawyers .

    Remember innocent until proven guilty. If u were convicted of a crime hey that's a different story , but if the case was Dismissed then you have nothing to worry about. A court of law already valuedated your innocence.
    I have no clue what I'm talking about, and you have a clue? All you basically said was how you feel it should work based on what is fair. Well, if you haven't realized nothing has been fair, and I'll tell you this because I was a candidate on the last test.

    First, you're giving bad advice here, nothing in NY is sealed and it will most likely say on the background check application to list all arrest even if they were sealed or ACD. I've seen this before elsewhere and I can guarantee you it will be like this with FDNY. Saying that if its sealed your good to go is going to make someone foolishly not list an arrest.

    This innocent until proven guilty is nonsense, mostly everyone gets their crimes dismissed. This is the reason they ask you to list all arrests. If what you say was true that if it was dismissed you were never guilty then why would they ask for all arrests? I've done my research here and people get disqualified for arrest that were dismissed. You're just offering bad advice and you really have no idea and have not researched anything. Just feel good advice.

    Someone I was in contact with specifically said that they had arrests that were all dismissed and he got disqualified because of that. He also said the same feel good advice you offered just list them and not hide anything and you will be OK. Well, last post he made was trying to appeal and hiring a lawyer, ****ed that he got discriminated against because he was white.

    Since you're so smart and know it all this is exactly what he wrote on the forum I quote exactly. Decided to look it up to show your foolish advice you offered was the same as his.
    "I think as long as its settled and sealed you should be all good, i'm in the same situation but no felonies or drug/violent arrests just minor, misdemeanors that were all dismissed and sealed"

    LOL, same bull crap you mentioned and here is his last post after he got disqualified. I quote exactly from the forum.
    "got my DQ Letter for a arrests, guess if your a middle class white guy your screwed but some hood ******s get a free pass"

    But keep offering your feel good advice while putting people down. Like I said before in a previous post, I'm trying to be honest with what I say even if it doesn't seem fair. I got blasted also over two years ago for saying that they wouldn't even make it to 5000 on the list.

    What you say makes sense in a fair world, lets not go too hard on someone for a simple arrest. But the FDNY doesn't want the liability of hiring someone with a criminal past. They can just go right down the list and hire someone else.

    Thanks for mentioning what I said was a rumor after I specifically mentioned it was a rumor. We will never know but lets take into consideration that FDNY wants to get minorities on the force. The investigation department got some heat already for supposedly denying minorities. They are the ones making the decision who gets on and don't you think there may be a possibility that they will go harder on a white guy?

    I'll tell you this these guys want to keep their jobs also and if getting minorities on the force helps them than they will do what they will have to do.

    My advice is if you have a tainted background you should be worried and there is really nothing you can do about it anyway except not cover up anything which you know they will find out. Of course continue with the application but make sure you have a backup plan (don't waste years waiting around jobless) because they won't disqualify you until the very end, as so I heard.
    Last edited by SirEd; Today at 01:33 PM.

  14. #24539
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    a whole large group is called for intake. then you hand in paper work one at a time and after small groups of people that have handed in paperwork are taken up stairs and fingerprinted. but its not an individual interview along the lines of 'tell me your strengths and weaknesses'
    Thanks....this is good news then

  15. #24540
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    I have no clue what I'm talking about, and you have a clue? All you basically said was how you feel it should work based on what is fair. Well, if you haven't realized nothing has been fair, and I'll tell you this because I was a candidate on the last test.

    First, you're giving bad advice here, nothing in NY is sealed and it will most likely say on the background check application to list all arrest even if they were sealed or ACD. I've seen this before elsewhere and I can guarantee you it will be like this with FDNY. Saying that if its sealed your good to go is going to make someone foolishly not list an arrest.

    This innocent until proven guilty is nonsense, mostly everyone gets their crimes dismissed. This is the reason they ask you to list all arrests. If what you say was true that if it was dismissed you were never guilty then why would they ask for all arrests? I've done my research here and people get disqualified for arrest that were dismissed. You're just offering bad advice and you really have no idea and have not researched anything. Just feel good advice.

    Someone I was in contact with specifically said that they had arrests that were all dismissed and he got disqualified because of that. He also said the same feel good advice you offered just list them and not hide anything and you will be OK. Well, last post he made was trying to appeal and hiring a lawyer, ****ed that he got discriminated against because he was white.

    Since you're so smart and know it all this is exactly what he wrote on the forum I quote exactly. Decided to look it up to show your foolish advice you offered was the same as his.
    "I think as long as its settled and sealed you should be all good, i'm in the same situation but no felonies or drug/violent arrests just minor, misdemeanors that were all dismissed and sealed"

    LOL, same bull crap you mentioned and here is his last post after he got disqualified. I quote exactly from the forum.
    "got my DQ Letter for a arrests, guess if your a middle class white guy your screwed but some hood ******s get a free pass"

    But keep offering your feel good advice while putting people down. Like I said before in a previous post, I'm trying to be honest with what I say even if it doesn't seem fair. I got blasted also over two years ago for saying that they wouldn't even make it to 5000 on the list.

    What you say makes sense in a fair world, lets not go too hard on someone for a simple arrest. But the FDNY doesn't want the liability of hiring someone with a criminal past. They can just go right down the list and hire someone else.

    Thanks for mentioning what I said was a rumor after I specifically mentioned it was a rumor. We will never know but lets take into consideration that FDNY wants to get minorities on the force. The investigation department got some heat already for supposedly denying minorities. They are the ones making the decision who gets on and don't you think there may be a possibility that they will go harder on a white guy? If the investigation department is like the rest of FDNY administrative staff there is going to be a lot of blacks. Do you really think they are going to go fair on a whitey? Don't be so naive man, not after all the bull crap during the last couple of years.

    I'll tell you this these guys want to keep their jobs also and if getting minorities on the force helps them than they will do what they will have to do.

    My advice is if you have a tainted background you should be worried and there is really nothing you can do about it anyway except not cover up anything which you know they will find out. Of course continue with the application but make sure you have a backup plan (don't waste years waiting around jobless) because they won't disqualify you until the very end, as so I heard.
    Again I did mention if u have a frequent pattern aka multiple offenses . One or two will not get u dqd. I've gone through the process and waiting on a run letter at this point . Ur going off speculation and research, I don't have to waste my time researching . I'm going off what I've experienced thus far . Yes the application does say for u to list all arrest there are two sections one for convictions and another for arrest . I know the guy u are refferring too . He had more than his shares . Everyone makes mistakes . Point is learn and don't make it again . Like I said . If u have multiple , then yes be worried one or two instances will not hurt u .

    On the minority front , stop being sour the majority of the candidates going in are still white anyway so quit the bitching. If u feel the need to be paranoid please do so . Just don't encourage others to think like you .

    Do you feel cheated because Ur white and the process is not going how u feel it should go .
    Trying being a minority on a daily basis and let us know how that feels . Welcome to the club homeboy.

    When u sit down with your investigator simply ask them should I be concerned with this . And they will give you a heads up . I know mine did . When you go in for Ur intake in the auditorium, they will tell you don't hide anything . Be up front .

    I could care less what the process was on the last test . This is how it's being done now. Get use to it .
    Last edited by k20dc2; Today at 01:47 PM.

  16. #24541
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by k20dc2 View Post
    Again I did mention if u have a frequent pattern aka multiple offenses . One or two will not get u dqd. I've gone through the process and waiting on a run letter at this point . Ur going off speculation and research, I don't have to waste my time researching . I'm going off what I've experienced thus far . Yes the application does say for u to list all arrest there are two sections one for convictions and another for arrest . I know the guy u are refferring too . He had more than his shares . Everyone makes mistakes .
    Point is learn and don't make it again . Like I said . If u have multiple , then yes be worried one or two instances will not hurt u .

    On the minority front , stop being sour the majority of the candidates going in are still white anyway so quit the bitching. If u feel the need to be paranoid please do so . Just don't encourage others to think like you .

    Do you feel cheated because Ur white and the process is not going how u feel it should go .
    Trying being a minority on a daily basis and let us know how that feels . Welcome to the club homeboy.

    When u sit down with your investigator simply ask them should I be concerned with this . And they will give you a heads up . I know mine did . When you go in for Ur intake in the auditorium, they will tell you don't hide anything . Be up front .

    I could care less what the process was on the last test . This is how it's being done now. Get use to it .

    Excellent response! I concur completely.

  17. #24542
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by k20dc2 View Post
    Again I did mention if u have a frequent pattern aka multiple offenses . One or two will not get u dqd. I've gone through the process and waiting on a run letter at this point . Ur going off speculation and research, I don't have to waste my time researching . I'm going off what I've experienced thus far . Yes the application does say for u to list all arrest there are two sections one for convictions and another for arrest . I know the guy u are refferring too . He had more than his shares . Everyone makes mistakes . Point is learn and don't make it again . Like I said . If u have multiple , then yes be worried one or two instances will not hurt u .

    On the minority front , stop being sour the majority of the candidates going in are still white anyway so quit the bitching. If u feel the need to be paranoid please do so . Just don't encourage others to think like you .

    Do you feel cheated because Ur white and the process is not going how u feel it should go .
    Trying being a minority on a daily basis and let us know how that feels . Welcome to the club homeboy.

    When u sit down with your investigator simply ask them should I be concerned with this . And they will give you a heads up . I know mine did . When you go in for Ur intake in the auditorium, they will tell you don't hide anything . Be up front .

    I could care less what the process was on the last test . This is how it's being done now. Get use to it .
    fair enough, I hope you are right for my sake.

  18. #24543
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    317

    Default

    If you got a summons and it was dismissed (an ACD constitutes a dismissal) then you don't have to disclose it. If you got arrested for a summons and the summons was dismissed or ACD then you HAVE to disclose it because you were arrested. You have to disclose ALL arrest.

    During my intake I asked my investigator whether I should be concerned about my "one and only" arrest and he (Peggy Quin also confirmed) said that I should be fine because previous candidates (regardless of race) with the same "one and only" conviction were accepted. My investigator told me that he reviews the packet and once everything is completed he sends it to a review board of supervisors and they decide whether you get DQed or accepted. He told me that there are guidelines such that if one candidate got DQed for a particular offense then all candidates get DQed for that offense or same offenses.

    Also, remember you get a chance to plead your case at the oral psych.

  19. #24544
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    If you got a summons and it was dismissed (an ACD constitutes a dismissal) then you don't have to disclose it. If you got arrested for a summons and the summons was dismissed or ACD then you HAVE to disclose it because you were arrested. You have to disclose ALL arrest.

    During my intake I asked my investigator whether I should be concerned about my "one and only" arrest and he (Peggy Quin also confirmed) said that I should be fine because previous candidates (regardless of race) with the same "one and only" conviction were accepted. My investigator told me that he reviews the packet and once everything is completed he sends it to a review board of supervisors and they decide whether you get DQed or accepted. He told me that there are guidelines such that if one candidate got DQed for a particular offense then all candidates get DQed for that offense or same offenses.

    Also, remember you get a chance to plead your case at the oral psych.

    I've gotta wonder if files get sent to the review board periodically during the months before a new class on a case by case basis when investigators feel they're done, or kind of en masse right before the class starts...

  20. #24545
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    368

    Default

    What are these charges that guys are getting DQd just for being arrested for? Jeez.

    I understand if youre guilty but seriously people are getting DQd for potential misunderstandings that took a court date to clear up.

    What about tickets like jumping the turnstile because your metro card wasn't swiping properly. Is that considered an arrest?

  21. #24546
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    What are these charges that guys are getting DQd just for being arrested for? Jeez.

    I understand if youre guilty but seriously people are getting DQd for potential misunderstandings that took a court date to clear up.

    What about tickets like jumping the turnstile because your metro card wasn't swiping properly. Is that considered an arrest?
    It's simple, was the "person" arrested?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 33 users browsing this thread. (8 members and 25 guests)

  1. DannyD0pe,
  2. DedicatedAmbition,
  3. EKFCASPER,
  4. fdnybk,
  5. Matador611,
  6. New Flyer,
  7. SI91

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 09-11-2014, 12:13 PM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register