Like Tree9535Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BklynFDNY89 View Post
    Can someone who has already done the cpat please say how long after the CPAT orientation tests is the real test? 1 week.. 3 months?
    within 30 days of the orientation you will be scheduled for the first practice run and if u pass that then Ur good to go .
    Last edited by k20dc2; Today at 10:23 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    I don't think we will know what charges people are getting disqualified for because most people probably won't volunteer that information.

Maybe you will be OK with a single arrest that wasn't a felony arrest. A couple of arrests than that looks bad. Hopefully you have no arrests for arson, LOL. I bet that would be a disqualifier for sure.

Summons or desk appearance tickets may be considered an arrest. I'm not sure about this (read conflicting stuff on the internet), but it seems it may be considered an arrest. I also don't know if summonses that are ACD are really sealed for purposes of FDNY like someone just mentioned they are. If they are sealed and you don't have to list them, than I wouldn't have to tell them about my "speed race contest" summons/desk appearance ticket that I got. If the speed race contest ticket is considered an arrest, and then I have another real arrest that would make me look like I got arrested twice, which would probably disqualify me.

I'm probably **** out of luck here, but who knows.

The problem here is if you don't list something and they find out about it you are automatically disqualified. In a way you have to be really careful here and list everything, even if you think it is sealed. I found some postings from people getting disqualified for thinking their record was sealed. I also heard the investigators really question you hard about arrests, probably because they know that if you don't mention it you will get automatically disqualified.

This whole arrest stuff probably feels really foreign for many on here. To me being arrested is a really bad thing. I don't come from a background where this is normal, but I have to face the facts that I got arrested once, and also got hit with a desk appearance ticket / summons to court, which I think is really an arrest.
    I may go in front of that review board with two arrests now, and that "speed race contest" ticket really doesn't sound good as they look at our driving record.

I also got a few speeding tickets around that time and a suspended license when a lawyer I paid didn't show up to court and I didn't get the letter that my license was suspended until the next day, all happened over 10 years ago for me. Does anyone know if you have to list all DMV tickets through your entire lifetime?

You young guys have a big advantage because you only had a couple of years to really screw up, I'm probably at least 10 years older than most of you here. So I had a lot longer to screw up my record.

When I think about it, arrested once, possibly twice with speed race contest ticket, driving with a suspended license, numerous speeding tickets driving up state to college, mostly all were plea bargained down to parking tickets. If they look at all this it doesn't make me look good. That is why I'm going to assume I won't get the job and figure out an alternative plan. If I get lucky than that's great, we will see. All this stuff happened over 10 years ago, so I hope they take that into consideration that I've been clean for over 10 years.
    A felony arrest will not dq u , there is a big difference between an arrest and a conviction . If the case was truly dismissed and I don't mean pleaded down to a misdemeanor then you'll be fine . If u ever were processed . Fingerprinted etcc. Went to bookings than that constitutes an arrest and you will have to go get a disposition from the court in the borough u were arrested in .

The suspended license info u would have to display that to them . Again don't hide anything be upfront . The fact that most of Ur incidents were 10 years ago would help u .

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bkopie View Post
    I got this off of here I think. So I didn't write it but had it saved in my email:

The FDNY Firefighter Process

1. Investigation – Business Dress Attire

THERE IS NO ACTUAL INTERVIEW DURING THIS PROCESS…here are the items you will need. No photocopies, originals only. You may need more or less depending on your specific circumstances but if you walk in with at least this your investigator will be very pleased. MAKE A PHOTOCOPY OF THE PACKET THAT YOU FILLED OUT FOR YOUR OWN RECORDS, IT WILL COME IN HANDY LATER.

1. SS card
    2. HS diploma
    3. Birth Certificate
    4. W2 forms 2007-2012
    5. Bank Statements for the residency period (June 2010- July 2011)
    6. Credit Card Statements for the residency period (June 2010- July 2011)
    7. College transcript (still in the sealed envelope DONT BREAK THE SEAL.
    8. NYS drivers abstract
    9. Two recent pay stubs
    10. Most recent 5 years detailed earning statement obtainable from the social security office ($102)
    11. $75 money order
    12. Any mail sent to your house in the last 60 days (previous to your investigation) to prove you still live where you live.
    13. IF APPLICABLE copy of the any summons, convictions, etc along with their disposition from the court.
    14. Three references that are NOT family and NOT affiliated with the FDNY in anyway be it a desk job, firefighter, or retired. You will need their name and mailing address.

ITEMS 4-6 WILL SERVE AS RESIDENCY PROOF – OTHER ITEMS ARE ACCEPTABLE BUT MUST BE APPROVED BY YOUR INVESTIGATOR.

2. CPAT
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3fGVOl9dQ8

That is exactly it. Nothing else, piece of cake.

• Cpat Letter from DCAS – GYM ATTIRE
    o There will be two dates listed both of which are optional. No matter what day you go in you will go in, watch the above video, and you will be given a walk through of the actual test course. You will not run the course in a timed matter or with a vest on but they will let you go through each station. This will be your experience both days. It will come in paycheck styled envelope where you rip off 3 sides.

• CPAT letter from FDNY, training at the rock - will come regular mail and/or email
    o FIRST DAY IS PAPERWORK, OVERVIEW, AND PICKING WHAT DAY YOU WOULD LIKE TO COME FOR TRAINING. BUSINESS CASUAL
    o 2ND TIME GYM ATTIRE – you will run through the course but untimed and without a weight vest on
    o Every week after that is gym attire and you will run the course with weighted vest and timed.

• A few weeks into this you should receive your notification for the REAL CPAT EXAM FROM DCAS. There will be 3 dates listed. The first one you pass counts and it is not necessary to report any of the other days listed. It will come in paycheck styled envelope where you rip off 3 sides.

3. Medical - GYM ATTIRE
    You will complete…
    1. Blood test
    2. Urine Test
    3. Baseline set of vitals
    4. Hearing Test
    5. Vision Test
    6. Lung Capacity Test
    7. Oxygen mask Fit test
    8. Chest X-Ray
    9. FDNY doctor consult
    10. PPD shot
    11. EKG
    And 2 other stupid things I can’t think of
    AND THE STAIRMASTER…
    o Start off with 3 minutes on at 60 steps a minute with no weight vest. Your heart rate can not double the heart rate they took on you in step 3 when you first started the whole medical. 5 MINUTE BREAK THEN…
    o Should it not go over double you then put on a 50lb weight vest and go for 5 minutes during which your heart rate can not exceed (220-age)x.9
    o SHOULD YOUR HEART RATE EXCEED ITS LIMIT AT ANY OF THESE POINTS YOU WILL LIVE TO SEE ANOTHER DAY.
    o Return and do the 3 minutes again with no vest, rest 5 minutes. Then even if your heart rate is over the limit during that part you still put on the 50lb vest and must go for 8 minutes and be composed during and immediately after the exam. If you look like you are going to die then you may fail otherwise, if you make the 8 minutes you pass.

4. PSYCH – business casual
    Bring the copy of the your investigation packet because you will need to fill it yet again all your past employment history and such.

The psych is a ridiculously long, something like 500 question, multiple choice test asking you all sorts of nonsense multiple times but worded differently such as…
    o Do you love your mother?
    o Are you afraid of fire?
    o Do you see ghosts?
    o Do you associate with drug dealers?
    o Has such and such every made you mad?

If you are not crazy, you will not have a problem. If there is an issue they will contact you generally within a month or less to schedule an interview with you to see if you really are nuts or just misunderstood something. NO NEWS IS GOOD NEWS.

AFTER ALL THAT HAS BEEN DONE YOU ARE ONLY WAITING FOR THE RUN, WHICH IS WHERE I AM, GOOD LUCK!
    I think this should be reposted from time to time.. not sure if the numbers in 1 are still correct or if the W2 forms are from 2009
    Last edited by BklynFDNY89; Today at 10:52 AM.
    Matador611 and bklynmike91 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by k20dc2 View Post
    within 30 days of the orientation you will be scheduled for the first practice run and if u pass that then Ur good to go .
    Beautiful, thank you.

Forum Member

Can someone who has already done the cpat please say how long after the CPAT orientation tests is the real test? 1 week.. 3 months?
    If you are attending CPAT training at the rock right now, we are tentatively scheduled for the ACTUAL CPAT TEST in December. This is why our training sessions run thru the end of November.

Forum Member

I think this should be reposted from time to time.. not sure if the numbers in 1 are still correct or if the W2 forms are from 2009
    Was looking all over for it.....thanks bro

Forum Member

Funny you should post that, I was looking through my bookmarks because I could have sworn I booked marked that a very long time ago.

I was even going to ask here if anybody remembers that post but I figured that it was so long ago that nobody would be able to find it or remember it.

Thanks for posting!
    bklynmike91 likes this.

Forum Member

Question : Can anyone who passed the background investigation confirm how lenient they were with past BS arrests ? Not looking for specifics on anyone's private history, just wondering if people with arrests have made it thru, or if everyone who has made it thru was squeaky clean.

Example - driving with a suspended license ... not a good thing but hardly something that should bar someone from attaining a civil service position.

If they are supposedly considering people with felonies as long as a letter of good conduct is submitted, I cant see how they can DQ people with no felonies.

Obviously everything is a case by case basis ... just wondering how strict they have been.

Can anyone confirm or deny ?

Forum Member

Anybody have any updates on the official start date of the next academy?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Pyle View Post
    Question : Can anyone who passed the background investigation confirm how lenient they were with past BS arrests ? Not looking for specifics on anyone's private history, just wondering if people with arrests have made it thru, or if everyone who has made it thru was squeaky clean.

Example - driving with a suspended license ... not a good thing but hardly something that should bar someone from attaining a civil service position.

If they are supposedly considering people with felonies as long as a letter of good conduct is submitted, I cant see how they can DQ people with no felonies.

Obviously everything is a case by case basis ... just wondering how strict they have been.

Can anyone confirm or deny ?
    Read my post on the last page . Should answer Ur questions. They make a stink about the suspended license , it shows a history of not following laws and regulations .
    Last edited by k20dc2; Today at 12:43 PM.

Forum Member

Read my post on this page . Should answer Ur questions. They make a stink about the suspended license , it shows a history of not following laws and regulations .
    Thanks for your input.

What do you mean by " make a stink " though ... like they would DQ someone for something minor like that ?

Its definitely not something to celebrate, but it doesn't make someone a criminal. Thats just my opinion though ... i'm trying to get a feel for how the CID views these things.

Forum Member

Thanks for your input.

What do you mean by " make a stink " though ... like they would DQ someone for something minor like that ?

Its definitely not something to celebrate, but it doesn't make someone a criminal. Thats just my opinion though ... i'm trying to get a feel for how the CID views these things.
    I don't see that as being a dq . But who the he'll knows . It's not minor if multiple instances led to Ur suspension.
    Again if u have multiple incidents in Ur background that would be a cause for concern. Isolated incidents are minor . Multiple are not .

Forum Member

Thanks for your input.

If they specifically ask about this it can't be good, especially if its combined with another arrest and other crap. How much stuff do you have in your past?

It is surprising how this stuff comes back to haunt you. I didn't even know my license was suspended until I got a letter in the mail the very next day.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    If they specifically ask about this it can't be good, especially if its combined with another arrest and other crap. How much stuff do you have in your past?

It is surprising how this stuff comes back to haunt you. I didn't even know my license was suspended until I got a letter in the mail the very next day.
    I haven't done intake yet so im not sure if they'll ask me about it or not. I hope it doesnt jam me up in this process. You're definitely right about that. You never know what the effects of any actions will be, what consequences it might bring.

I dont have a past at all - no crimes, no felonies, except for this crap with the suspended license. If you get caught driving with a suspended license ( which gets suspended if you dont pay a ticket ) ... they HAVE to take you in ... its an automatic collar. Thats why I was taken in.

I hope this crap is not an issue for me. I really want this opportunity.
    Last edited by Gomer Pyle; Today at 02:04 PM.

Forum Member

I haven't done intake yet so im not sure if they'll ask me about it or not.

I dont have a past at all - no crimes, no felonies, except for this crap with the suspended license. If you get caught driving with a suspended license ( which gets suspended if you dont pay a ticket ) ... they HAVE to take you in ... its an automatic collar. Thats why I was taken in.

I hope this crap is not an issue for me. I really want this opportunity.
    U should be fine . On the packet they ask u if Uve ever had a suspended license and u answer it and the date and info for it . Ull have to go down to that court in that borough and get the disposition behind the case as well .Ur investigator will give u a paper and u would explain what happened .

Forum Member

U should be fine . On the packet they ask u if Uve ever had a suspended license and u answer it and the date and info for it . Ull have to go down to that court in that borough and get the disposition behind the case as well .Ur investigator will give u a paper and u would explain what happened .
    k20dc2, do they ask if your license was suspended or if you were driving with a suspended license? Because it's not so bad if you don't have to mention you were also driving while that license was suspended.

I had the same thing that happened to Gomer Pyle, ticket went unpaid, as someone I hired failed to show up to court, my license was then automatically suspended without my knowledge.

I didn't get arrested though, just a traffic ticket up state. Can't remember much as it was over 10 years ago, but I wonder if this ticket I got also constitutes an arrest. The more I think about everything the worse this crap becomes. I can remember just going down to traffic caught and I believe the ticket got dismissed on a technicality.

I wouldn't even know how to dig up what I got charged with at that time, I'm going to have to do a lot of digging into my past when I have most likely thrown everything out by now.

it seems they ask for a DMV abstract that only goes back like 5 years, so I assume mostly everything from my driving past that happened 10 years ago won't be known?

Edit: It seems the laws have changed with regard to driving with a suspended license, in the past you just got a ticket, now they automatically arrest you.

Gormer Pyle, it seems a lot of people get screwed with this but I don't think the FDNY is going to go to hard on you about this. They are probably looking at people who really can't drive well and are getting so many points that they are repeatedly getting their license suspended.

You will have to list that arrest but that one is probably so common its not a big deal.
    Last edited by SirEd; Today at 02:33 PM.

Forum Member

Encouraging words ... thanks.

On another front ... CPAT Prep this Saturday was good times. First time ever at the Rock ... what an experience.

Just being there, watching guys already OTJ, Vets, speaking to them ... it really gets you pumped and excited for this Job.

Thread Information