Like Tree9539Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Pyle View Post
    Nice ... I saw a few probies there though this Saturday.

Just as I was getting in around noon, there were a whole lot of them getting out. I got that feeling like " damn, wish I could be wearing that uniform soon ... "

Wonder why they were there on a Saturday ?
    They offer extra training on Saturdays for anyone who is having trouble. To those currently in the academy and everybody else I would say take them up on the offer at least once. It's a bit more of a laid-back pace compared to a standard academy day, and it's all about trying to get as much practice as possible before finishing.

Forum Member

If I had a recent year of "unemployment" (no W2), I need a letter of support right? I can't just say I was unemployed and living off savings?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    They offer extra training on Saturdays for anyone who is having trouble. To those currently in the academy and everybody else I would say take them up on the offer at least once. It's a bit more of a laid-back pace compared to a standard academy day, and it's all about trying to get as much practice as possible before finishing.
    It's great that they're offering all these services, courses, preps for us. The DI who was leading our CPAT Prep said they didn't offer all of this when he was going thru the process / academy.

Seems like they really want to see people get thru everything and get OTJ.
    4040clubBouncer likes this.

Forum Member

Can't wait to hear about tonight and how it goes. Also besides the upcoming academy start date anyone know about the one after? July? Or might it be earlier like say May?

Forum Member

I was looking back a few hundred pages and noticed that the intake interview usually happens right before our first CPAT test date. DI said we're looking at about a December CPAT date, meaning we should be processing Intakes in November.

We have exactly TWO MONTHS to get all these ducks in a row :

Re Post -

I got this off of here I think. So I didn't write it but had it saved in my email:

The FDNY Firefighter Process

1. Investigation – Business Dress Attire

THERE IS NO ACTUAL INTERVIEW DURING THIS PROCESS…here are the items you will need. No photocopies, originals only. You may need more or less depending on your specific circumstances but if you walk in with at least this your investigator will be very pleased. MAKE A PHOTOCOPY OF THE PACKET THAT YOU FILLED OUT FOR YOUR OWN RECORDS, IT WILL COME IN HANDY LATER.

1. SS card
    2. HS diploma
    3. Birth Certificate
    4. W2 forms 2007-2012
    5. Bank Statements for the residency period (June 2010- July 2011)
    6. Credit Card Statements for the residency period (June 2010- July 2011)
    7. College transcript (still in the sealed envelope DONT BREAK THE SEAL.
    8. NYS drivers abstract
    9. Two recent pay stubs
    10. Most recent 5 years detailed earning statement obtainable from the social security office ($102)
    11. $75 money order
    12. Any mail sent to your house in the last 60 days (previous to your investigation) to prove you still live where you live.
    13. IF APPLICABLE copy of the any summons, convictions, etc along with their disposition from the court.
    14. Three references that are NOT family and NOT affiliated with the FDNY in anyway be it a desk job, firefighter, or retired. You will need their name and mailing address.

ITEMS 4-6 WILL SERVE AS RESIDENCY PROOF – OTHER ITEMS ARE ACCEPTABLE BUT MUST BE APPROVED BY YOUR INVESTIGATOR.

2. CPAT
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3fGVOl9dQ8

That is exactly it. Nothing else, piece of cake.

• Cpat Letter from DCAS – GYM ATTIRE
    o There will be two dates listed both of which are optional. No matter what day you go in you will go in, watch the above video, and you will be given a walk through of the actual test course. You will not run the course in a timed matter or with a vest on but they will let you go through each station. This will be your experience both days. It will come in paycheck styled envelope where you rip off 3 sides.

• CPAT letter from FDNY, training at the rock - will come regular mail and/or email
    o FIRST DAY IS PAPERWORK, OVERVIEW, AND PICKING WHAT DAY YOU WOULD LIKE TO COME FOR TRAINING. BUSINESS CASUAL
    o 2ND TIME GYM ATTIRE – you will run through the course but untimed and without a weight vest on
    o Every week after that is gym attire and you will run the course with weighted vest and timed.

• A few weeks into this you should receive your notification for the REAL CPAT EXAM FROM DCAS. There will be 3 dates listed. The first one you pass counts and it is not necessary to report any of the other days listed. It will come in paycheck styled envelope where you rip off 3 sides.

3. Medical - GYM ATTIRE
    You will complete…
    1. Blood test
    2. Urine Test
    3. Baseline set of vitals
    4. Hearing Test
    5. Vision Test
    6. Lung Capacity Test
    7. Oxygen mask Fit test
    8. Chest X-Ray
    9. FDNY doctor consult
    10. PPD shot
    11. EKG
    And 2 other stupid things I can’t think of
    AND THE STAIRMASTER…
    o Start off with 3 minutes on at 60 steps a minute with no weight vest. Your heart rate can not double the heart rate they took on you in step 3 when you first started the whole medical. 5 MINUTE BREAK THEN…
    o Should it not go over double you then put on a 50lb weight vest and go for 5 minutes during which your heart rate can not exceed (220-age)x.9
    o SHOULD YOUR HEART RATE EXCEED ITS LIMIT AT ANY OF THESE POINTS YOU WILL LIVE TO SEE ANOTHER DAY.
    o Return and do the 3 minutes again with no vest, rest 5 minutes. Then even if your heart rate is over the limit during that part you still put on the 50lb vest and must go for 8 minutes and be composed during and immediately after the exam. If you look like you are going to die then you may fail otherwise, if you make the 8 minutes you pass.

4. PSYCH – business casual
    Bring the copy of the your investigation packet because you will need to fill it yet again all your past employment history and such.

The psych is a ridiculously long, something like 500 question, multiple choice test asking you all sorts of nonsense multiple times but worded differently such as…
    o Do you love your mother?
    o Are you afraid of fire?
    o Do you see ghosts?
    o Do you associate with drug dealers?
    o Has such and such every made you mad?

If you are not crazy, you will not have a problem. If there is an issue they will contact you generally within a month or less to schedule an interview with you to see if you really are nuts or just misunderstood something. NO NEWS IS GOOD NEWS.

AFTER ALL THAT HAS BEEN DONE YOU ARE ONLY WAITING FOR THE RUN, WHICH IS WHERE I AM, GOOD LUCK!

Forum Member

Gomer Pyle, you heard we won't have our CPAT until December? I thought it was about a month after out orientation letter which would put it around end of October to beginning of November.

I'm training like I may have to take CPAT during end of October.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    Gomer Pyle, you heard we won't have our CPAT until December? I thought it was about a month after out orientation letter which would put it around end of October to beginning of November.

I'm training like I may have to take CPAT during end of October.
    That is what i heard from our DI at CPAT prep this Saturday. It would make sense, given that our prep dates run thru the end of November ...

We should definitely be training like CPAT is two weeks from today, but i'm estimating first or second week of December for anyone currently attending prep sessions.

Forum Member

The official Cpat practice sessions that count . Are within a month after Ur orientation for Cpat . Once I passed on my first try I stopped going to the rock . So for the guys going in for Cpat orientation in the beginning of Oct . Expect Ur actually practice date would 've before the month is over . When they showed u the video at the orientation it says it in the video . I think u can you tube it .

Forum Member

Just wanted to second what was mentioned above. One month, give or take, after the end of the dcas cpat orientation, timed trials begin. I passed my first dcas cpat at about week 7 of the fdny cpat training. The classes get smaller and smaller as more and more people pass.

Forum Member

CPAT time trials tonight was a great experience! A decent amount of people didnt have great time or where on the cusp..and some above the time given to pass. A lot of guys im noticing didnt really train with weight on the stairs, it shows and you cant fool these instructers guys..we are given a scantron sheet which basicly is a sheet to grade your CPAT and on that sheet it asks how many hours per week do you train on average..but you dont fill that out, rite before you go on the stairmaster the instructor asks you and he fills it out..and ill tell you now do yourself a favor and be honost lol..you got guys that say they train 8 hours a week but they cant do the stairmaster for 3:20! He knows whos a liar, just be honost guys..I passed with 8:50. I really felt the burn in my forearms. Everything went good for me, only thing is on the ceiling breach and pull i stepped out of the box once while doing the event, but it was only a warning. I thought I was running out of time for some reason so like i was rushing threw it and stepped out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gianni1028 View Post
    CPAT time trials tonight was a great experience! A decent amount of people didnt have great time or where on the cusp..and some above the time given to pass. A lot of guys im noticing didnt really train with weight on the stairs, it shows and you cant fool these instructers guys..we are given a scantron sheet which basicly is a sheet to grade your CPAT and on that sheet it asks how many hours per week do you train on average..but you dont fill that out, rite before you go on the stairmaster the instructor asks you and he fills it out..and ill tell you now do yourself a favor and be honost lol..you got guys that say they train 8 hours a week but they cant do the stairmaster for 3:20! He knows whos a liar, just be honost guys..I passed with 8:50. I really felt the burn in my forearms. Everything went good for me, only thing is on the ceiling breach and pull i stepped out of the box once while doing the event, but it was only a warning. I thought I was running out of time for some reason so like i was rushing threw it and stepped out.
    check your PM

Thread Information