Like Tree9843Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #24676
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Pyle View Post
    Instructor Shane is an animal.

    He says we're lucky if we get him for PT at our round of the academy, as civilians pay him $150/hr for personal training.
    Oh yea, one hell of an animal and I know just by reading about him lol. Damn Thats insane but I believe it!!

  2. #24677
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Does anyone know what to wear to the CPAT orientation?

  3. #24678
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    Does anyone know what to wear to the CPAT orientation?
    its very casual. t shirt and jeans. polo and slacks if you are concerned.

    also anyone see this guys cpat? man I got a long long way to go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8hy5_7MZ9E

  4. #24679
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Pyle View Post
    Instructor Shane is an animal.

    He says we're lucky if we get him for PT at our round of the academy, as civilians pay him $150/hr for personal training.
    Oh yea, one hell of an animal and I know just by reading about him lol. Damn Thats insane but I believe it!!

  5. #24680
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    what type of watches do guys OTJ wear?
    ones that get beat up, can take some water and some heat, right? Im sure you need a watch for taking pulses and timing things etc, right?

    Just curious. Im a big watch guy
    Leave the watch in your locker. You have too many layers around the wrist as it is. As for taking a pulse, you should be able to do that without a watch, or with a count from someone else in your company. Some people keep a watch without a band I'm their pocket, but very few where watches.
    4040clubBouncer likes this.

  6. #24681
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    675

    Default

    K
    Quote Originally Posted by Jky9xx View Post
    Reading. Will come in handy at the academy.

    Nov 18
    Does this mean I missed it?
    bkopie likes this.

  7. #24682
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    who got what times on the cpat prep at the rock? I heard someone did it in 16 min is that true?
    Yeah someone got 16 minutes & a few people terminated before finishing & a few people failed over the alotted time. Honestly though some people getting off the 3:20 stairmaster looked like they were about to pass out & others got off no problem. Work on endurance. When I went, the first 5 obstacles were pretty good but I gassed out towards the end & finished with 9:15. Another huge thing is don't be lazy walking between events, speed walk if you can.. a lot of people were walking between events like they had unlimited time & those were the people that failed or nearly did.

  8. #24683
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    50

  9. #24684
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Pyle View Post
    i remember when this came out. such a great story!

  10. #24685
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Whose ready for this new fitness awareness program in mid-October? I am so hyped now we can actually test how our fitness level and training compares to the actual fitness levels of the academy and to see if we are prepared before stepping in. I bet it will be intense! I hope we do an actual PT workout.

  11. #24686
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    Whose ready for this new fitness awareness program in mid-October? I am so hyped now we can actually test how our fitness level and training compares to the actual fitness levels of the academy and to see if we are prepared before stepping in. I bet it will be intense! I hope we do an actual PT workout.
    I hadn't even heard anything about it ?

    Did instructor Shane tell you about it ... or another instructor ?

  12. #24687
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Probies go to ft totten today ? Parking lot is pretty empty.

  13. #24688
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Pyle View Post
    I hadn't even heard anything about it ?

    Did instructor Shane tell you about it ... or another instructor ?
    I don't know if it's what Danny is refferring to but instructor Shane did tell us they're gunna start doing PT for us & it won't be as hard as an academy PT but it'll be close to it.

  14. #24689
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BklynFDNY89 View Post
    I don't know if it's what Danny is refferring to but instructor Shane did tell us they're gunna start doing PT for us & it won't be as hard as an academy PT but it'll be close to it.
    I remember instructor Shane mentioning something like this, but i didn't know it was a full blown " fitness awareness program " ... sounds interesting.

    Anything that will get us better prepared for a possible spot in the academy is great.

  15. #24690
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Pyle View Post
    I hadn't even heard anything about it ?

    Did instructor Shane tell you about it ... or another instructor ?
    Quote Originally Posted by BklynFDNY89 View Post
    I don't know if it's what Danny is refferring to but instructor Shane did tell us they're gunna start doing PT for us & it won't be as hard as an academy PT but it'll be close to it.

    It's an email that was just sent out to those of us that have passed the Cpat and other steps already...

  16. #24691
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Yeah. Just got the email as well. I think it's worth checking out. If at this point you are looking at the next academy and are not physically fit though I'm thinking it might be kinda late to start...
    Rdarf85 likes this.

  17. #24692
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Question : How long is the CPAT DCAS orientation down in LIC usually ?

    2 hrs ? 4 hrs ?

  18. #24693
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2312 View Post
    Yeah. Just got the email as well. I think it's worth checking out. If at this point you are looking at the next academy and are not physically fit though I'm thinking it might be kinda late to start...
    I'm not all that psyched about the first session with the push-ups, pull-ups, etc assessment. I think most of us are fine on that front. The second session with a PT workout is excellent though, and am happy they're offering it. Will quite possibly catch some of us off guard as to what actually goes on each day.
    DannyD0pe and Rdarf85 like this.

  19. #24694
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    I'm not all that psyched about the first session with the push-ups, pull-ups, etc assessment. I think most of us are fine on that front. The second session with a PT workout is excellent though, and am happy they're offering it. Will quite possibly catch some of us off guard as to what actually goes on each day.
    Could it be that instead of putting a video online of the Probies PT workout that they decided to have candidates experience it themselves. This way they keep what goes inside the rock discret.
    Rdarf85 and bkopie like this.

  20. #24695
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Pyle View Post
    Question : How long is the CPAT DCAS orientation down in LIC usually ?

    2 hrs ? 4 hrs ?
    I just had mine, it went really fast. Like 2 hours. It was very laid back and actually fun.

    Actually being that the people were not FDNY but DCAS, there wasn't any bull**** arrogance that you get from FDNY employees. Hope I don't get flamed for saying this, LOL.
    Last edited by SirEd; 09-29-2014 at 06:47 PM.
    Rdarf85 likes this.

  21. #24696
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    I just had mine, it went really fast. Like 2 hours. It was very laid back and actually fun.

    Actually being that the people were not FDNY but DCAS, there wasn't any bull**** arrogance that you get from FDNY employees. Hope I don't get flamed for saying this, LOL.
    Time to get flamed, it's not arrogance, it's reality. DCAS is nothing compared to FDNY, it's just the middle man. They act relaxed because they know most people pass it. The obstacles at the Rock are a little different than those at DCAS. Forcible entry is defintately different, and the dummy pull I felt was easier, smooth surface. When you go the Rock, you get a small taste of what it really is. If it's true that they will have PT sessions for candidates, that will not resemble the PT session during the academy, it's just a small taste of what's to come.

  22. #24697
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    I just had mine, it went really fast. Like 2 hours. It was very laid back and actually fun.

    Actually being that the people were not FDNY but DCAS, there wasn't any bull**** arrogance that you get from FDNY employees. Hope I don't get flamed for saying this, LOL.
    And the flaming continues...

    What you call arrogance we call pride and yes you will get a lot of that from FDNY employees. This is not your run of the mill happy go lucky profession. People get hurt doing what we do and people die doing what we do so yes we are going to break candidates balls for showing up late, sagging pants, missing documentation, wearing hats, headphones, talking back, making excuses, being out of shape etc... Nobody is going to coddle you... We treat our own probies (uniformed brothers and sisters on the job) as less than pond scum so you as a candidate (civilian still trying to get on the job) expect the red carpet to be rolled out? Get real!

    ATTENTION ALL CANDIDATES
    If you're expecting warm cookies and hot cocoa when you show up to the Rock you should definitely re-evaluate your career choices. This job is going to hand you a serious gut check and if you're not ready for it or unwilling to endure extreme conditions, pain and "arrogant FDNY Employees" yelling and kicking your balls in... this may not be the job for you. Don't waste the spot!

  23. #24698
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    just ran a 9:56 mile on the treadmill - #fdnyfit
    Get off the treadmill and on the road. Treadmill running does not prepare you for actual running. Also a 10min/mile, especially on a treadmill, is not exactly a pace to strive for. Just get outside and get used to having to set your own pace, and not being dragged along at whatever pace you want on a treadmill.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jky9xx View Post
    Reading. Will come in handy at the academy.
    Your reply is to someone a few classes ahead of you. That awesome attitude will serve you well in the firehouse.

    Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    what type of watches do guys OTJ wear?
    ones that get beat up, can take some water and some heat, right? Im sure you need a watch for taking pulses and timing things etc, right?

    Just curious. Im a big watch guy
    I know very few people that wear watches. I wouldn't if I were you. Chances are you'll just scratch or scuff it up.

    Quote Originally Posted by New Flyer View Post
    What kind of running mileage per week can we expect in the Academy? The running increases week by week, but when do you hit the peak mileage, I guess towards the final weeks of the Academy?
    I think in previous academies they used to routinely go longer distances at slower paces. I believe now they general top out at around 5 miles, but shoot for an 8-9 minute pace when doing so. Some days they may have you run shorter distances at a faster pace, or intervals mixed with PT. If you can run 5 miles in under 40 minutes you will be in good shape for the running.

    Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    How accurate will this time compare with the actual CPAT test?
    Actual CPAT time is faster than the Rock time.

    Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    Could it be that instead of putting a video online of the Probies PT workout that they decided to have candidates experience it themselves. This way they keep what goes inside the rock discret.
    Maybe, but also it's better motivation to make someone actually go through the routine than just tell them about it. Plenty of people can just brush it off and overestimate their own abilities until they're forced to do the real thing and get a reality check.

    Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    Actually being that the people were not FDNY but DCAS, there wasn't any bull**** arrogance that you get from FDNY employees. Hope I don't get flamed for saying this, LOL.
    Come on dummy, really? You know what you're saying is going to catch heat and you just admit that and then say it anyways. You know half the battle of being a good probie/johnnie in the firehouse is knowing when you can say something and when you should keep your mouth shut, even if you've got the right idea.

    Also the DCAS people don't give a **** because it's not the future of their ****ty job that's at stake. The people that volunteer to do CPAT training, mentoring, and teach at the rock care deeply about the future of the job. They expect candidates and probies to care too.

  24. #24699
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Anybody going to the fitness awareness program from Staten Island that wants to car pool let me know. Send me a message.

  25. #24700
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Astoria
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Up to what list numbers were contacted for the fitness awareness?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 6 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 5 guests)

  1. DannyD0pe

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 04:52 AM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register