Like Tree9584Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Pyle View Post
    Instructor Shane is an animal.

He says we're lucky if we get him for PT at our round of the academy, as civilians pay him $150/hr for personal training.
    Oh yea, one hell of an animal and I know just by reading about him lol. Damn Thats insane but I believe it!!

Forum Member

Does anyone know what to wear to the CPAT orientation?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    Does anyone know what to wear to the CPAT orientation?
    its very casual. t shirt and jeans. polo and slacks if you are concerned.

also anyone see this guys cpat? man I got a long long way to go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8hy5_7MZ9E

Forum Member

Instructor Shane is an animal.

He says we're lucky if we get him for PT at our round of the academy, as civilians pay him $150/hr for personal training.
    Oh yea, one hell of an animal and I know just by reading about him lol. Damn Thats insane but I believe it!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    what type of watches do guys OTJ wear?
    ones that get beat up, can take some water and some heat, right? Im sure you need a watch for taking pulses and timing things etc, right?

Just curious. Im a big watch guy
    Leave the watch in your locker. You have too many layers around the wrist as it is. As for taking a pulse, you should be able to do that without a watch, or with a count from someone else in your company. Some people keep a watch without a band I'm their pocket, but very few where watches.
    4040clubBouncer likes this.

Forum Member

K
    Quote Originally Posted by Jky9xx View Post
    Reading. Will come in handy at the academy.

Nov 18
    Does this mean I missed it?
    bkopie likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    who got what times on the cpat prep at the rock? I heard someone did it in 16 min is that true?
    Yeah someone got 16 minutes & a few people terminated before finishing & a few people failed over the alotted time. Honestly though some people getting off the 3:20 stairmaster looked like they were about to pass out & others got off no problem. Work on endurance. When I went, the first 5 obstacles were pretty good but I gassed out towards the end & finished with 9:15. Another huge thing is don't be lazy walking between events, speed walk if you can.. a lot of people were walking between events like they had unlimited time & those were the people that failed or nearly did.

Forum Member

Forum Member

i remember when this came out. such a great story!

Forum Member

Whose ready for this new fitness awareness program in mid-October? I am so hyped now we can actually test how our fitness level and training compares to the actual fitness levels of the academy and to see if we are prepared before stepping in. I bet it will be intense! I hope we do an actual PT workout.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    Whose ready for this new fitness awareness program in mid-October? I am so hyped now we can actually test how our fitness level and training compares to the actual fitness levels of the academy and to see if we are prepared before stepping in. I bet it will be intense! I hope we do an actual PT workout.
    I hadn't even heard anything about it ?

Did instructor Shane tell you about it ... or another instructor ?

Forum Member

Probies go to ft totten today ? Parking lot is pretty empty.

Forum Member

I don't know if it's what Danny is refferring to but instructor Shane did tell us they're gunna start doing PT for us & it won't be as hard as an academy PT but it'll be close to it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BklynFDNY89 View Post
    I don't know if it's what Danny is refferring to but instructor Shane did tell us they're gunna start doing PT for us & it won't be as hard as an academy PT but it'll be close to it.
    I remember instructor Shane mentioning something like this, but i didn't know it was a full blown " fitness awareness program " ... sounds interesting.

Anything that will get us better prepared for a possible spot in the academy is great.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BklynFDNY89 View Post

It's an email that was just sent out to those of us that have passed the Cpat and other steps already...

Forum Member

Yeah. Just got the email as well. I think it's worth checking out. If at this point you are looking at the next academy and are not physically fit though I'm thinking it might be kinda late to start...
    Rdarf85 likes this.

Forum Member

Question : How long is the CPAT DCAS orientation down in LIC usually ?

2 hrs ? 4 hrs ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Medic2312 View Post
    Yeah. Just got the email as well. I think it's worth checking out. If at this point you are looking at the next academy and are not physically fit though I'm thinking it might be kinda late to start...
    I'm not all that psyched about the first session with the push-ups, pull-ups, etc assessment. I think most of us are fine on that front. The second session with a PT workout is excellent though, and am happy they're offering it. Will quite possibly catch some of us off guard as to what actually goes on each day.
    DannyD0pe and Rdarf85 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    I'm not all that psyched about the first session with the push-ups, pull-ups, etc assessment. I think most of us are fine on that front. The second session with a PT workout is excellent though, and am happy they're offering it. Will quite possibly catch some of us off guard as to what actually goes on each day.
    Could it be that instead of putting a video online of the Probies PT workout that they decided to have candidates experience it themselves. This way they keep what goes inside the rock discret.
    Rdarf85 likes this.

Forum Member

Question : How long is the CPAT DCAS orientation down in LIC usually ?

2 hrs ? 4 hrs ?
    I just had mine, it went really fast. Like 2 hours. It was very laid back and actually fun.

Actually being that the people were not FDNY but DCAS, there wasn't any bull**** arrogance that you get from FDNY employees. Hope I don't get flamed for saying this, LOL.
    Last edited by SirEd; Yesterday at 06:47 PM.
    Rdarf85 likes this.

Forum Member

I just had mine, it went really fast. Like 2 hours. It was very laid back and actually fun.

Actually being that the people were not FDNY but DCAS, there wasn't any bull**** arrogance that you get from FDNY employees. Hope I don't get flamed for saying this, LOL.
    Time to get flamed, it's not arrogance, it's reality. DCAS is nothing compared to FDNY, it's just the middle man. They act relaxed because they know most people pass it. The obstacles at the Rock are a little different than those at DCAS. Forcible entry is defintately different, and the dummy pull I felt was easier, smooth surface. When you go the Rock, you get a small taste of what it really is. If it's true that they will have PT sessions for candidates, that will not resemble the PT session during the academy, it's just a small taste of what's to come.
    DannyD0pe likes this.

Forum Member

And the flaming continues...

What you call arrogance we call pride and yes you will get a lot of that from FDNY employees. This is not your run of the mill happy go lucky profession. People get hurt doing what we do and people die doing what we do so yes we are going to break candidates balls for showing up late, sagging pants, missing documentation, wearing hats, headphones, talking back, making excuses, being out of shape etc... Nobody is going to coddle you... We treat our own probies (uniformed brothers and sisters on the job) as less than pond scum so you as a candidate (civilian still trying to get on the job) expect the red carpet to be rolled out? Get real!

ATTENTION ALL CANDIDATES
    If you're expecting warm cookies and hot cocoa when you show up to the Rock you should definitely re-evaluate your career choices. This job is going to hand you a serious gut check and if you're not ready for it or unwilling to endure extreme conditions, pain and "arrogant FDNY Employees" yelling and kicking your balls in... this may not be the job for you. Don't waste the spot!

Thread Information