Like Tree9605Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Anyone by 3200 doing cpat orientation now?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Get off the treadmill and on the road. Treadmill running does not prepare you for actual running. Also a 10min/mile, especially on a treadmill, is not exactly a pace to strive for. Just get outside and get used to having to set your own pace, and not being dragged along at whatever pace you want on a treadmill.

Your reply is to someone a few classes ahead of you. That awesome attitude will serve you well in the firehouse.

I know very few people that wear watches. I wouldn't if I were you. Chances are you'll just scratch or scuff it up.

I think in previous academies they used to routinely go longer distances at slower paces. I believe now they general top out at around 5 miles, but shoot for an 8-9 minute pace when doing so. Some days they may have you run shorter distances at a faster pace, or intervals mixed with PT. If you can run 5 miles in under 40 minutes you will be in good shape for the running.

Actual CPAT time is faster than the Rock time.

Maybe, but also it's better motivation to make someone actually go through the routine than just tell them about it. Plenty of people can just brush it off and overestimate their own abilities until they're forced to do the real thing and get a reality check.

Come on dummy, really? You know what you're saying is going to catch heat and you just admit that and then say it anyways. You know half the battle of being a good probie/johnnie in the firehouse is knowing when you can say something and when you should keep your mouth shut, even if you've got the right idea.

Also the DCAS people don't give a **** because it's not the future of their ****ty job that's at stake. The people that volunteer to do CPAT training, mentoring, and teach at the rock care deeply about the future of the job. They expect candidates and probies to care too.
    I think he meant 9.56 miles maybe MM but regardless of the fact I agree 100%, I used to run on a treadmill and this past month Ive transitioned to the pavement and Its a whole different ball game. I enjoy running outside much more it is harder though. But why run on a treadmill if in the academy you wont ever run on a treadmill as far as I know lol. Your body needs to be condition to run outside. Do youself a favor guys and ditch the treadmill, I see 80 year old chinese Folks running outside all the time lol, thats pretty inspiring

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gianni1028 View Post
    I think he meant 9.56 miles maybe MM but regardless of the fact I agree 100%, I used to run on a treadmill and this past month Ive transitioned to the pavement and Its a whole different ball game. I enjoy running outside much more it is harder though. But why run on a treadmill if in the academy you wont ever run on a treadmill as far as I know lol. Your body needs to be condition to run outside. Do youself a favor guys and ditch the treadmill, I see 80 year old chinese Folks running outside all the time lol, thats pretty inspiring
    It's quite possible either he was not that clear or I misread it. Not trying to slight him but really, treadmill running isn't the same as regular running. It took me a long time to be able to just pace myself naturally when running because I'd been used to treadmills. You set the treadmill and it just drags you along at whatever pace you set. Running naturally is very different. You need to naturally find your groove and then work on speeding it up if need be for the 1.5m and for 3-5m runs in general. A 1.5m run is essentially a sprint. 5k in my mind is somewhat similar. 5 miles starts to be a distance run and requires training and also good baseline endurance to be able to do it comfortably in 40 minutes. I take back what I said before. I think for the academy a minimum of a 45 min 5mile run is a good start, but you'd be better served by being able to do it in 40 or less.

edit: And if it was 9.56 miles on a treadmill I'd have to say my hat's off to you. I can barely finish a mile on a treadmill. I'd rather kill myself.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=Manhattan Medic;1421916]It's quite possible either he was not that clear or I misread it. Not trying to slight him but really, treadmill running isn't the same as regular running. It took me a long time to be able to just pace myself naturally when running because I'd been used to treadmills. You set the treadmill and it just drags you along at whatever pace you set. Running naturally is very different. You need to naturally find your groove and then work on speeding it up if need be for the 1.5m and for 3-5m runs in general. A 1.5m run is essentially a sprint. 5k in my mind is somewhat similar. 5 miles starts to be a distance run and requires training and also good baseline endurance to be able to do it comfortably in 40 minutes. I take back what I said before. I think for the academy a minimum of a 45 min 5mile run is a good start, but you'd be better served by being able to do it in 40 or less.

@medic...what was your 1.5 time going into academy? im sure people are trying to gage where theyre at and where they need to be. obviously if we're running it in 9 minutes were good to go but people running it in 12:58 have a problem. what do you think a good time is to gage general fitness for day 1?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ireedmymail View Post
    Anybody going to the fitness awareness program from Staten Island that wants to car pool let me know. Send me a message.
    I would being that I'm from si but I don't think that available to us going for July. Atleast so far it isn't. We're just doing cpat time trials

Forum Member

a friend of mine is in the 4000's on the list. Currently he is a New Jersey resident and he served as a firefighter in the Air Force. Is he going to be able to keep his veteran's points, or will he lose them?

Forum Member

I've obviously never officially done it for the dept, but when it comes to the 1.5, I cannot even fathom not being able to stay in front of the pacers. If you're not a slob, have been at least doing some running outside for a while, and are as hungry for this job as you say you are...your adrenaline should kick into overdrive and have you flying. Particularly since you're running with a group. This is the way I picture it in my head at least. In terms of the PT/runs combo during the actual class, I imagine that's a different story. And we all better step it up no matter where we are...

Forum Member

Just did 3 miles in 20:41 last night. First time running in a week. Did a 10k last Sunday at 45:51

I was just messing about the ten min mile on the treadmill guys.

I've actually never run on a treadmill - outside of those shoes stores that tape you on one.
    I jump rope, row, cycle and, of course, run for my cardio. Swimming in the summer sometimes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by J0hnnyb0y View Post
    a friend of mine is in the 4000's on the list. Currently he is a New Jersey resident and he served as a firefighter in the Air Force. Is he going to be able to keep his veteran's points, or will he lose them?
    I don't see why he wouldn't be able to use his veteran's points but he can't have residency, obviously.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bk60191983 View Post
    @medic...what was your 1.5 time going into academy? im sure people are trying to gage where theyre at and where they need to be. obviously if we're running it in 9 minutes were good to go but people running it in 12:58 have a problem. what do you think a good time is to gage general fitness for day 1?
    10:45 going in, 10:00 coming out. The 1.5 is a measure of your aerobic capacity so really the faster the better. Obviously they decided that 13 is the bare minimum and 12 is really the acceptable minimum, but you don't want to train to the minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    Just did 3 miles in 20:41 last night. First time running in a week. Did a 10k last Sunday at 45:51

I was just messing about the ten min mile on the treadmill guys.

I've actually never run on a treadmill - outside of those shoes stores that tape you on one.
    I jump rope, row, cycle and, of course, run for my cardio. Swimming in the summer sometimes.
    Phew! Those are awesome times. I'm slower than I was in the academy due to a knee injury that caused me to take most of a year off from running, and then the 20#s I added on by taking a year off from running. Currently training for a half marathon and hoping to finish in the 2 hour range. After that I plan on trying to work on my speed again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    I just had mine, it went really fast. Like 2 hours. It was very laid back and actually fun.

Actually being that the people were not FDNY but DCAS, there wasn't any bull**** arrogance that you get from FDNY employees. Hope I don't get flamed for saying this, LOL.
    Mr Ed (or Sir Ed) your are a horse's azz. If this bothers you so much, look for another job. You come to a firehouse kitchen with this attitude, you will be eaten alive. From what you have posted, I doubt you will make it through the Academy (if you even get on the Greatest Job in the World).

Forum Member

is DCAS hiring?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bkopie View Post
    I don't see why he wouldn't be able to use his veteran's points but he can't have residency, obviously.
    As illogical as it sounds, I could have sworn I read somewhere on either this thread or the old one that only new york state residents are eligible for the veteran's credit.

Thread Information