Like Tree9525Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

There's one thing to remember guys, not every single person taking this test spent all the time that each one of us did studying, researching, covering every single aspect of all parts of the test. Everyone here might have scored pretty good but that doesnt mean that every other person would be the same, i'm new to this forum but by just looking back a good few pages i can tell that mostly everyone here did everything they could to score good on this test so ofcourse you going to see some competitive scores but thats only 20 people tops. It can go either way, it all depends on how much the personality part is going to be worth. It can easily be 20,30 maybe 40 percent OR it can also be easily 90! (i really hope to god is not lol) SNAP my second post! lol ( last time im doing that)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    There are qualifier questions in these things.
    I do not lie.
    If you answered SA or A. Guess what? You're lying.
    Everybody lies. White lies. Small lies. Big lies. Fish tales. Sea stories.
    -Does my butt look big in this dress?
    -Absolutely not! (rolling eyes)
    You just lied. No one goes through life without telling some kind of lie here and there.
    This would actually warrant a D because if you go SD, you're flat out saying in your profile that you lie all the time. It's a fine line in some of these.

I have never stolen.
    You probably have. Inadvertently if not intentionally. Paper supplies, pens, etc from the office.
    Yes. Technically stealing.

That's my take. These tests have been around for awhile. It's only just now that we (FDNY) are seeing it used.

Again, you've got to stop speculating. You'll get nowhere and give yourself an ulcer. That won't do well when it comes to the medical

Hang tough.
    I just got back from the review and some of the questions that they considered full credit were obvious outright lies, but it was full credit. So do you think they will penalize people who seem to be lying, it doesn't seem so.

Did every one have about the same number of psych questions.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 05-17-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    On my way home from it as we speak. One partial and one wrong in the first part with two protests and 3 partial on the psych with two protests, okay with it see where it goes
    That is really good, congrats.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MerritMatters View Post
    Agreed, lets move on. Someone mentioned lights weights (10lbs) with a lot of repetition and long runs so theirs a great way to start...
    That seems incredibly light. I would do pull ups/chins, dips/push ups and running at least. lower body seems even more needed but if you don't have a vest other options exist.

Forum Member

the handful of guys OTJ i have spoken to about the academy all say the same thing, run, run run....strong legs, cardio endurance, and the dumbbells at the academy won't be over 10lbs....doesnt mean the dumbbell work is easy, they have ways of making 10lbs feel a lot heavier.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    You'll hear this often, but that's because it's true....train for the academy, not the CPAT. In my experience the CPAT is not very difficult. Lots of leg work, and using a weighted vest on stairs should be enough prep. The key is to get yourself to a point physically where once you get off that step mill your tank isn't empty.

For now I do something very similar to crossfit (but less Olympic lifting, more cardio driven) 4 days a week, and get some lifting in 2 days a week to keep the major muscle groups strong. No running yet. I hate running, and will put that off for now.

I didn't see this post before making my last post. I do all the major lifts as well minus the oly lifts and not crossfit. I have a vest but haven't used it much yet. I would like to try some 20 rep squats but have still been working on my low bar form. My dead lift has been my recent obsession.

Forum Member

the handful of guys OTJ i have spoken to about the academy all say the same thing, run, run run....strong legs, cardio endurance, and the dumbbells at the academy won't be over 10lbs....doesnt mean the dumbbell work is easy, they have ways of making 10lbs feel a lot heavier.
    Yeah didn't realize thats what you meant. I wonder what they have you do with them?

Forum Member

Hey Fellas,
    As long as we're talking about running and getting fit, I ran track and xc in high school and college, and now am a pretty competitive marathoner (2:30 is my best time) and coach a group of about 15 runners as a part time gig.

I'd be more than happy to hook people up with some training plans, pro bono, or answer any questions about building up mileage, speed work, shoes, losing weight, whatever. Not trying to show off or make myself the expert or anything, but running's been my thing for a long time and I'm more than happy to share my knowledge with everyone who's interested. PM me or post questions here if you have any.
    HopefulFF and FDNYPD like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    second class with 6 wrong and 14pc?!?! WTF!?! I'd get real comfortable at my current job if I was you.
    Lol this guy is worse then me.
    At least I don't get personal

Forum Member

C'mon, real talk! Its this everyone gets a trophy, coddle little johnny, pc mentality that got us into this mess in the first place. Let's be realistic here, I haven't even heard of anybody getting near 6 wrong on the vids/comp. His chances are slim, If I were him I'd be writing Garaufis letters praying he makes the list a lottery.
    I may be late commenting on this ******bag but let's get something straight you dick face.
    What crawled up your mothers *** and died when she was pregnant with you?
    We're all trying to get on the same team here, grow up.
    Last edited by bensonhurstlovesme; 05-17-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    There's one thing to remember guys, not every single person taking this test spent all the time that each one of us did studying, researching, covering every single aspect of all parts of the test. Everyone here might have scored pretty good but that doesnt mean that every other person would be the same, i'm new to this forum but by just looking back a good few pages i can tell that mostly everyone here did everything they could to score good on this test so ofcourse you going to see some competitive scores but thats only 20 people tops. It can go either way, it all depends on how much the personality part is going to be worth. It can easily be 20,30 maybe 40 percent OR it can also be easily 90! (i really hope to god is not lol) SNAP my second post! lol ( last time im doing that)
    I was thinking the same exact thing. Everyone who is on this site put considerably more effort into this test than the average test taker. That doesn't necessarily mean we'll do a whole lot better, but even if its one or two questions here or there over most of the 95% (or 99%) of everyone else, that might make a big difference. Let's not worry too much until we have some clue how this is going to shake out. A lot of us have been waiting for years and years. A few more months won't kill us.

OH SNAP! I'm the first to quote you!
    Jukez likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    On my way home from it as we speak. One partial and one wrong in the first part with two protests and 3 partial on the psych with two protests, okay with it see where it goes
    Just so everyone knows, I had four wrong in the first part with two protests on those questions but one should be overturned with the other following the procedures the video stated better. Also that protest is against the fact the test was bad in the way it was organized. So if both are flipped its two and three with two protests. Do I think this is bad? No! Do I think its great compared to other scores on here, no not really. I'm more upset in the area that I assumed I'd do bad with "reading comprehension" and I did. Thankfully I have the four year wait as I'm a young buck but I want this job more than most people. I went to everything, studied four hours a day, and had a terrible school semester because the stress of this. Am I upset to know I could of done better? Sure, but if things are meant to be, then they will be.

Forum Member

Touche, you think I'm a dick or a **** stirrer but I just tell it like it is. Most of the guys on here are afraid to go against the grain and have their own opinions because they're afraid of bam ( btw calmb4storm we miss you) or someone else otj telling them to get in the sink.

I've been through the ringer trying to get on this job as all of us on 6019 have, and when some douc&e like skav wants to dance on 6019's grave and then **** on it I'm not gonna take it lightly and I'm not gonna forget it.
    Your not telling it like it is your being negative and rude.
    When you find out what you get during your protest please post it on here. I hope you do very well, make it into the first class then while in the showers at the rock you get a bad case of athletes foot. Which turns into a bad toenail infection which in turn makes you drop out of runs etc. then I hope you drop out of the academy and work at a miserable sales desk job where your a miserable ahole. Then I hope your place of habitat goes up in flames and ironically the guy who is putting it out is FDNYtolife. That's all, but I really really hope all of that comes true. Just because you like to tell it like it is so do I.
    Sorry every one back to regularly scheduled programming .
    Fdnytolife4130 likes this.

Forum Member

Thanks to the fellers who replied via PM and provide general information on these boards. Where there can be stressful times here, I'd go nuts without being here.

Thanks
    Test: 2000
    Score: 98
    List Number: 60**

Forum Member

Anybody personally know of any females that took the test? Those ladies have bigger balls than me. It's a mans world but they'll work twice as hard, hope to see a handful of em get in

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Yeah didn't realize thats what you meant. I wonder what they have you do with them?

Seems like you do a TON of reps, a lot of static holds mixed in too.

Quote Originally Posted by rpnyc1 View Post
    Hey Fellas,
    As long as we're talking about running and getting fit, I ran track and xc in high school and college, and now am a pretty competitive marathoner (2:30 is my best time) and coach a group of about 15 runners as a part time gig.

I'd be more than happy to hook people up with some training plans, pro bono, or answer any questions about building up mileage, speed work, shoes, losing weight, whatever. Not trying to show off or make myself the expert or anything, but running's been my thing for a long time and I'm more than happy to share my knowledge with everyone who's interested. PM me or post questions here if you have any.

I will definitely be taking you up on your offer when I start to run. I actually considered getting a running coach. I have flat feet and any time I try to run consistently my feet/ankles/shins/knee always start to hurt. I'm sure poor form is a big part of it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    I actually agree very much. The people on here have been searching for ways to find out more info about the test and what is going on with the process. That easily translates into why our scores were as good as they were. I'm actually expecting that most people did not do as well as we did in here

Forum Member

If some of the people with the highest scores fail the physical the first time, do people further down the list who passed it the first time have the opportunity go skip them into an up coming class. This is assuming they are looking to fill classes ASAP when the time comes and also assuming they will be giving the physical to lots of people right away.

Forum Member

I will definitely be taking you up on your offer when I start to run. I actually considered getting a running coach. I have flat feet and any time I try to run consistently my feet/ankles/shins/knee always start to hurt. I'm sure poor form is a big part of it.
    Good stuff. A few pieces of advice to start:

1. Do arch and ankle strengthening exercises. If you don't know any you'll find plenty through a google search. A lot of times flat feet can be fixed with stronger feet.

2. Focus on shorter quicker "light" feeling strides instead of bigger, more powerful ones. Try to imagine running as efficiently as possible. This will lessen the impact on your joints and use less energy while you run.

3. Get running sooner rather than later. This applies to everyone. Even if you absolutely hate it, running is a high impact activity that is a big shock to the body if you don't work into it gradually over time. The last thing you want is to crash train for the CPAT or academy and end up with a stress fracture or bad tendonitis. Start small, a few miles a day few times a week, don't worry about your pace. Take walk breaks if you need them. You're way better off spending a year gradually building up then hopping into hard 5 milers a month before game time.
    Jay513 and Jukez like this.

Forum Member

Seriously guys, enough with the name calling. It's a waste of space on here. Whoever didn't get the last word, just be the bigger man and let it go. We're all here with a common goal and I'm tired of reading the ridiculous bickering and cursing going on between some of us.

rpnyc, you are awesome! I do have a couple of questions for you:

1. Any suggestions on cutting times? I have hit a plateau with my times after running for about two years.

2. Any recommendations on websites/books that can help with running form or general tips? I know I can't ask you for specific advice on form since you can't see me run thru this site but I'm guessing I don't have perfect form since I never ran competitively on a team. I'd imagine good form will help with my first question.

Thanks for the help!!

Forum Member

Anyone worrying about the CPAT please stop. train for the academy and as if you were going in there in the next few months, i was 20 years old 145lbs wet when i passed it a few years back lol and wasnt no where near as in good in shape as i am now. i havent been to the academy but one thing i can tell you from everyone i know that has is that you need to build your leg endurance if you want any type of shot at going through the academy. I for one rather be OVER prepared physically so i can just worry about studying and such rather then getting home from the academy tired *** hell to then have to worry about studying. I been in my own academy since 07 training non stop for this, i dont regret a single sweat shed yet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    That seems incredibly light. I would do pull ups/chins, dips/push ups and running at least. lower body seems even more needed but if you don't have a vest other options exist.
    these are the words of someone who went through it...

Forum Member

Seems like you do a TON of reps, a lot of static holds mixed in too.

Hit a running store, I was having the same problem for a while, then I got a pair of good running shoes and its been a breeze

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bensonhurstlovesme View Post
    Your not telling it like it is your being negative and rude.
    When you find out what you get during your protest please post it on here. I hope you do very well, make it into the first class then while in the showers at the rock you get a bad case of athletes foot. Which turns into a bad toenail infection which in turn makes you drop out of runs etc. then I hope you drop out of the academy and work at a miserable sales desk job where your a miserable ahole. Then I hope your place of habitat goes up in flames and ironically the guy who is putting it out is FDNYtolife. That's all, but I really really hope all of that comes true. Just because you like to tell it like it is so do I.
    Sorry every one back to regularly scheduled programming .
    Name:  Golf-Swing-Basics-3.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  47.0 KB

Ladies and gentleman, we now have pro golfer, bensonhurstlovesme teeing off on what seems to be gimmefires b*lls.

Wow, thats far! right down the fairway and its a hole in one!!!

hope we have some thick skin around here, foreskin that is

Forum Member

Physical activity in the academy comes in two forms: Dedicated "PT," and the practical portion of the curriculum.

During PT, the dumbbell exercises are easy enough, 10lbs/20-25 reps usually. But sometimes... slightly more than 25. The focus is usually on shoulders/bi/triceps. Pushups and planks are commonly mixed in.

The running pace depends on the instructor. Some run at a brisk pace. Others run like gazelles. Edited for this: When you buy shoes, dont just get them off the rack at some sh1t store with a teenage staff or off the internet; go to a specialist. Youll burn through two pairs during the academy alone, and for guys in the first class, probably two in preparing for it.

Places like Jackrabbits, SuperRunners Store and (my personal favorite) the Westchester Road Runner. Theyre often staffed with athletes who put in their fair share of roadwork on their own time and know the shoes they carry inside and out. Theyll watch and/or video your running to dissect your stride, how your feet contact the ground, etc., and get you into something that wont wreck your world when youre trying to do the right thing.

I dont want to give away all the fun, but prior to the academy I all but abandoned the gym, and stuck to pushups/pull-ups/planks/running stadiums, and felt I was pretty well prepared. I couldnt see the sense in working out indoors to prepare for an academy that wasnt going to be indoors.

No matter what you do though, theyre going to get to you physically. You will absolutely be tested. You can at least make them earn your sweat though.
    Last edited by SkylinePCG; 05-17-2012 at 11:42 PM.
    To Persist is to Conquer.

Thread Information