Like Tree9945Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

What time does the academy start and end on a daily basis? Is it more than 40 hours a week?

Forum Member

Hey everyone long time lurker sitting 17xx, recently changed jobs and have no insurance and have the 2 PT classes coming up. I remember reading a few pages back about a cheap alternative to visiting a primary physician to getting the waiver signed, but cant remember where. any info would help. look forward to seeing anybody going to the tuesday class.
    Last edited by NYCTraditions; 10-13-2014 at 12:08 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    What time does the academy start and end on a daily basis? Is it more than 40 hours a week?
    More like 10+ hours a day, you are there from 5:50am to about 4:30-5 pm for the early shift.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    To whoever asked: The promo talk comes from someone (I believe OTJ) who said a somewhat reliable person at HQ mentioned running 15 week classes (so they could do 3 a year) and a new promo exam.

1.5m in 10:40 before academy, 10:00 at the end of the academy
    5k times <8min/mile

Ran my first half marathon today at a 9min/mile pace, which is pretty good for a first time. Would be better if I lost 20# and did more tempo/speed training.

Literally everything in the proby book is an abbreviated version of the real books. If you think it's bad now just wait.
    Thanks for your run times MM. Congrats on your Marathon man! Thats really great, Good job and keep it up. Im currently running my 1.5 at a little over 11 minutes, 11:04. Im thinking to continue running my 1.5 until I get to your speed at around 10:40 which is like around 7min/mile. Then I planned on focusing more on increasing distance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bacon View Post
    8 min miles for for five miles with interval sprints during the run

Not anymore man.. heard the class in now are a bunch of meat curtains who run no more then 3 miles, they don't get yelled at and FST was removed from passing requirements. Stupid law suit about how the DI's are too hard

Forum Member

[QUOTE=Manhattan Medic;1422651]To whoever asked: The promo talk comes from someone (I believe OTJ) who said a somewhat reliable person at HQ mentioned running 15 week classes (so they could do 3 a year) and a new promo

If this were the case would this mean that the filing would have to be released fairly early in the beginning of next year or end of this year?
    Last edited by RDiesel ; 10-13-2014 at 07:46 AM.

Forum Member

I don't recall the specifics now other than if you are in the early group (which is out of your control and changes every few weeks) you have to be there by 0550 because roll call is 0650 and we're always an hour early to work. From roll call it's roughly a 9 hour day. You get paid OT for that extra hour on every training day.

Quote Originally Posted by RDiesel View Post
    If this were the case would this mean that the filing would have to be released fairly early in the beginning of next year or end of this year?
    Who the hell knows. If it happens it happens.

Forum Member

It starts an hour before they tell you to be there and it ends when they let you leave. 40 hours a week? It IS your week.

However, since you're "FDNY4Life", you should have no proble, with that.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drylander View Post
    Hey everybody, been following for a long time, but first time posting.

Got my cpat test dates too, so I thought I'd share.

Nov 5-19-25. List 27xx
    Got my CPAT dates nov 8,20,26
    List 30xx
    BrooklynBorn likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JRodPizza View Post
    Not anymore man.. heard the class in now are a bunch of meat curtains who run no more then 3 miles, they don't get yelled at and FST was removed from passing requirements. Stupid law suit about how the DI's are too hard
    haha, "meat curtains"

Forum Member

Probably what was talked about was a walk in clinic on Staten Island that cost $50 dollars. Where do you live exactly?

Forum Member

Hey I have a question for the guys who just graduated the academy or still in the academy. Can someone please put up the links to the knee pads, socks, and duffle bag that were recommended?

Thanks I appreciate it.

Forum Member

What's a meat curtain?

Forum Member

[QUOTE=RDiesel ;1422683]
    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    To whoever asked: The promo talk comes from someone (I believe OTJ) who said a somewhat reliable person at HQ mentioned running 15 week classes (so they could do 3 a year) and a new promo

If this were the case would this meean that the filing would have to be released fairly early in the beginning of next year or end of this year?
    Wouldn't adding a new promo negate the point of doing three classes. They would mostly be promos then. also what's the point if they have a list that's badicslky just starting to get going.

Forum Member

Meat curtain always meant something very different and quite specific to me...

Forum Member

My workday is so much more enjoyable knowing that we're having a discussion about meat curtains.

For those unfamiliar with the terminology:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...eat%20curtains

Enjoy boys!
    bklynmike91 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    What's a meat curtain?
    It's what you call that part of a female that makes us do stupid things.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    It starts an hour before they tell you to be there and it ends when they let you leave. 40 hours a week? It IS your week.

However, since you're "FDNY4Life", you should have no proble, with that.....
    Besides that 1 hour early that your suppose to show up which you pretty much have to do....u should be compensated in time or cash for anything over 40hrs a week. Academy or no academy

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dwm326 View Post
    My workday is so much more enjoyable knowing that we're having a discussion about meat curtains.

For those unfamiliar with the terminology:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...eat%20curtains

Enjoy boys!
    Lmao elephant ears and dangly gizzards
    bklynmike91 likes this.

Forum Member

Besides that 1 hour early that your suppose to show up which you pretty much have to do....u should be compensated in time or cash for anything over 40hrs a week. Academy or no academy
    Please stop....
    FDsouthbxNY and bklynmike91 like this.

Forum Member

I hope to everything holy I'm not in the squad that has this guy or another version of him.

If you're so concerned with being paid for you 40 hours and everything over to the exact cent, go take the sanitation test, it's open!
    Last edited by dwm326; 10-13-2014 at 07:45 PM.

Forum Member

We get yelled at plenty. And it's not our choice how far we run. FST was not our decision either last I checked. Get your facts straight. There's no lawsuit about the DIs being too hard.

Forum Member

If that's how you feel then maybe this isn't the job for you. Are you not going to show up for 9/11 and Memorial Day because they don't pay you to be there?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dwm326 View Post
    I hope to everything holy I'm not in the squad that has this guy or another version of him.

If you're so concerned with being paid for you 40 hours and everything over to the exact cent, go take the sanitation test, it's open!
    your right pal. We shouldn't even get paid while in the academy. Everyone should go through the academy for free

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post

Wouldn't adding a new promo negate the point of doing three classes. They would mostly be promos then. also what's the point if they have a list that's badicslky just starting to get going.

1. It's not my gossip I'm just repeating what was said here.

2. What list they draw from has no bearing on how many classes a year they can put in.

3. I can't possibly comment on what the motivations/reasons would be for doing a new promotion exam. If it happens it happens.

Thread Information