Like Tree11270Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    If that's how you feel then maybe this isn't the job for you. Are you not going to show up for 9/11 and Memorial Day because they don't pay you to be there?
    If I happen to be off that day then where would I be showing up to?

Forum Member

What is the uncorrected vision requirement?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    Besides that 1 hour early that your suppose to show up which you pretty much have to do....u should be compensated in time or cash for anything over 40hrs a week. Academy or no academy
    A little part inside of me dies every time I read a post like this. Thank you city residency for putting another compassionate, dedicated, well spoken individual ahead of me.

Forum Member

This is the last stupid question I answer from you, you report to the freaking FH if that's what's they want you to do. There, you will get further instructions.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Forum Member

You're an a**hole.

You show up to events like memorial services and other events that honor better men than yourself not for a paycheck but because it's the right thing to do.

And nobody expects you go through the academy for free, but your attitude suggests that you're the type of person who stops working because it's quitting time, not because the job is complete.

But good job making it as far as you have, it never hurts to have people around to make others look better.

Maybe you should change your handle to "FDNY4nomorethanminimum"
    Last edited by dwm326; 10-14-2014 at 07:45 AM.
    Rdarf85 and bklynmike91 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nptks View Post
    A little part inside of me dies every time I read a post like this. Thank you city residency for putting another compassionate, dedicated, well spoken individual ahead of me.
    If you want the points, move to NYC or work in your own town. Problem solved.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by J0hnnyb0y View Post
    What is the uncorrected vision requirement?
    Johnny, I do not think there is a vision requirement any more from what I have heard at the CPAT training sessions, kids asked the same question. I got the LASIK done, if you have the money, I would get it. It is pretty much the best $ i ever spent, but I think they said you can wear contacts or glasses and some masks they can put your prescription in .. This is info that I have heard from others, Im still waiting to get in just got my CPAT letter

Forum Member

Heard from my mentor last night. Anyone else get contact yet?

Heads up its coming

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pericnyc View Post
    If you want the points, move to NYC or work in your own town. Problem solved.
    There really is no justification for residency points. The likelihood that you'll be put into a house that's in your neighborhood is minimal. Lucky if you'll be working in your own borough. Not to mention the realization of the department those points have possibly aided in the admittance of lackluster candidates.
    Last edited by nptks; 10-14-2014 at 10:01 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynmike91 View Post
    Johnny, I do not think there is a vision requirement any more from what I have heard at the CPAT training sessions, kids asked the same question. I got the LASIK done, if you have the money, I would get it. It is pretty much the best $ i ever spent, but I think they said you can wear contacts or glasses and some masks they can put your prescription in .. This is info that I have heard from others, Im still waiting to get in just got my CPAT letter
    thanks bro. i had lasik done 7 years ago when i thought i was going to otj with the last test. i had just turned 20 at the time, and my eyesight has regressed a bit since then. had i known how things were gonna turn out i would have waited until i was older before i got it. i have an appointment scheduled with the eye doctor to see if i'm a candidate for lasik enhancement surgery, since i'm pretty sure people can't wear soft contact lenses after getting the surgery done. i was 20/10 and 20/15 after the procedure and i'm pretty sure i'm like 20/30, 20/40 or worse now....that's why i was curious of the uncorrected requirement. firefighters can't wear glasses, can they?
    bklynmike91 likes this.

Forum Member

You're gonna get paid when you work. There will be plenty of time for that. Especially as you get more seniority and figure out your schedule.

The problem is someone told you that city jobs come with an easy way to make money and they're impossible to get fired from. That said, every gig is different. They guys at the fdny test their job like a calling.

This isn't some job at target or Starbucks or Goldman Sachs. This job is great because all of the team is in agreement and ensures that it stays great. That means helping out. A lot. Sometimes that's on the clock and other times off.

If it's really going to bother you that you aren't being compensated to show up early or attended other (not mandatory, but watch what happens when you're not there) events, you should look elsewhere. That's why the forum is harping on you.

Probie school from what most have said on here is early till late. And more than 40 hours a week.
    FDsouthbxNY and bklynmike91 like this.

Forum Member

There really is no justification for residency points. The likelihood that you'll be put into a house that's in your neighborhood is minimal. Lucky if you'll be working in your own borough. Not to mention the realization of the department those points have possibly aided in the admittance of lackluster candidates.
    You sound stupid.
    kmart1, DannyD0pe, Rdarf85 and 1 others like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    Heard from my mentor last night. Anyone else get contact yet?

Heads up its coming

How did that go

Forum Member

Whats up fellas, I called the automated DCAS number just for ****s and giggles. Here's what got:

The last number eligible for this winters class is 2,218.

The last number entered into the academy is 1359.

This test will be terminated June 26, 2017.

If i had to guess what number they get to for the winter class? Lets say 2050

Forum Member

thanks bro. i had lasik done 7 years ago when i thought i was going to otj with the last test. i had just turned 20 at the time, and my eyesight has regressed a bit since then. had i known how things were gonna turn out i would have waited until i was older before i got it. i have an appointment scheduled with the eye doctor to see if i'm a candidate for lasik enhancement surgery, since i'm pretty sure people can't wear soft contact lenses after getting the surgery done. i was 20/10 and 20/15 after the procedure and i'm pretty sure i'm like 20/30, 20/40 or worse now....that's why i was curious of the uncorrected requirement. firefighters can't wear glasses, can they?
    ahh that sucks it regressed, i luckily have 20/15 both eyes im 23 just got it done in June. As far as I know you CAN wear glasses and or contacts OTJ, thats just from what I have heard from other guys. Can anyone add to this if its correct?

Forum Member

ahh that sucks it regressed, i luckily have 20/15 both eyes im 23 just got it done in June. As far as I know you CAN wear glasses and or contacts OTJ, thats just from what I have heard from other guys. Can anyone add to this if its correct?
    i just got off the phone with a nurse from the bureau of health services.

20/40 in both eyes, glasses and contact lenses are permitted for firefighters and EMT's
    bkopie and bklynmike91 like this.

Forum Member

i just got off the phone with a nurse from the bureau of health services.

20/40 in both eyes, glasses and contact lenses are permitted for firefighters and EMT's
    good to hear so your all good

Forum Member

good to hear so your all good
    Thanks man see you on the job one day
    bklynmike91 likes this.

Forum Member

To some people, this job doesn't require money to push others. This job is a hobby. A hobby that entitles you to put your 100% dedication in. This job comes with a pension and salary because there are family needs. If you're rarely enjoying this hobby, its not your hobby. It comes with commitment and pride. At anytime you don't feel pride or you don't commit to any job, it would just be another job for you. But to many guys otj, its everything.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    Probably what was talked about was a walk in clinic on Staten Island that cost $50 dollars. Where do you live exactly?
    I'm in Rockaway. Have the fitness assessment tomorrow and trying to figure out how to get the form signed cheaply without insurance. I want to make it to both sessions but hopefully at the least the second one.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYCTraditions View Post
    I'm in Rockaway. Have the fitness assessment tomorrow and trying to figure out how to get the form signed cheaply without insurance. I want to make it to both sessions but hopefully at the least the second one.
    Go to an urgent care facility

Forum Member

The buildings in NYC vary wildly from buildings elsewhere in the country. I'd assume having some sort of experience with them beforehand would help greatly in a near-blind environment of smoke and fire. Not saying this is the reason there is residency points, but it sure as hell doesn't hurt.
    bklynmike91 likes this.

Forum Member

It's really disturbing how in America most of us on here don't nave insurance. I went to the dentists the the other day for a filling that fell out and it turned out I needed a root canal. Took him 20-30 min and now I owe him over 1100. I have to work like 10 days to cover that assuming I didn't need the mo eu to survive.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Britches View Post
    Whats up fellas, I called the automated DCAS number just for ****s and giggles. Here's what got:

The last number eligible for this winters class is 2,218.

The last number entered into the academy is 1359.

This test will be terminated June 26, 2017.

If i had to guess what number they get to for the winter class? Lets say 2050
    I assume If they know the last number eligible for th winter class then all of those I dociduals have passed investigations and a paper work?

Forum Member

I recieved a call from mentor today. Very well spoken LT from queens.

Thread Information