Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Forum Member

My crew and I pack up on all car fires and dumpster fires. You have no idea what's in there.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Quote Originally Posted by JT_Fire_2000 View Post
    My crew and I pack up on all car fires and dumpster fires. You have no idea what's in there.
    Seriously, are you that concerned with what is burning in a dumpster? Do you really need to stick your head in there and see fire? Is smoke that rare in your life that you need to pack up and peer over the edge? Are you going to save someones discardings from flame or damage?
    It's a fricken dumpster, garbage can on wheels. Throw a 2 1/2 in it and open the discharge, fill it up, then leave. No I bureau, no cops, no big investigation.
    IAFF

I believe he's speaking about explosions or something of that sort. It killed a firemen not too long ago and it became a concern.

Personally, you should only need 1-2 guys on a 2 1/2. 2 guys on air, everyone a good enough distance away. Not that big of deal.

Inb4: ITS STUPID AIR IS FREE AHHHHH
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    I believe he's speaking about explosions or something of that sort. It killed a firemen not too long ago and it became a concern.

Personally, you should only need 1-2 guys on a 2 1/2. 2 guys on air, everyone a good enough distance away. Not that big of deal.

Inb4: ITS STUPID AIR IS FREE AHHHHH
    I will concede. There really is no reason to not go on air for either of these two scenarios. Nobody will make fun of you if you do. There just seems to be a lot of posturing and stomping of feet demanding that you do. Sometimes we do, depends on the dumpster or vehicle. Sometimes we don't. We have firefighters skilled enough to know the difference, and officers smart enough to let them decide and interject when they need to.
    IAFF

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    I will concede. There really is no reason to not go on air for either of these two scenarios. Nobody will make fun of you if you do. There just seems to be a lot of posturing and stomping of feet demanding that you do. Sometimes we do, depends on the dumpster or vehicle. Sometimes we don't. We have firefighters skilled enough to know the difference, and officers smart enough to let them decide and interject when they need to.
    I have said repeatedly that I don't care what others do for themselves. But as an instructor it is my job to pass on safe procedures and I will continue to teach that SCBA be worn for vehicle and dumpster fires.

Dumpster fires have a new and special meaning here in Wisconsin. A volunteer firefighter was killed in, I believe late 2009, from an explosion in a metal waste dumpster fire. Do you know what many dumpsters are? Nothing more than a free disposal of anything that people can't get rid of anywhere else. Fertilizer, solvents, cleaners, exlosives, ammunition, and anything else that can and does kill firefighters.

So tell, me can your skilled firefighters and officers tell from a distance that there is nothing in that dumpster other than "Normal Trash?"
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I have said repeatedly that I don't care what others do for themselves. But as an instructor it is my job to pass on safe procedures and I will continue to teach that SCBA be worn for vehicle and dumpster fires.

Dumpster fires have a new and special meaning here in Wisconsin. A volunteer firefighter was killed in, I believe late 2009, from an explosion in a metal waste dumpster fire. Do you know what many dumpsters are? Nothing more than a free disposal of anything that people can't get rid of anywhere else. Fertilizer, solvents, cleaners, exlosives, ammunition, and anything else that can and does kill firefighters.

So tell, me can your skilled firefighters and officers tell from a distance that there is nothing in that dumpster other than "Normal Trash?"
    I think they point they are trying to make is that you shouldn't have to get close enough to a dumpster fire to need an SCBA. Fill it up from a distance and go home. This is not always on option for a car fire, hence the change in tactics when needed.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    I think they point they are trying to make is that you shouldn't have to get close enough to a dumpster fire to need an SCBA. Fill it up from a distance and go home. This is not always on option for a car fire, hence the change in tactics when needed.
    No doubt...

Unless it's one of those gigantic compactor types. No joy in mudville those days....

We've had to pull those things apart like a bale of hay and packs were definitely needed.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

We couldn't. It's why using a master stream was so effective. If there were something that exploded on contact with water (ie. burning metals), we were far enough away to be unaffected.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

I have said repeatedly that I don't care what others do for themselves.

For a guy who doesn't care what others do on this forum, you sure are making a lot of noise.

We don't need to know what is in there from a distance because that's where we will be pouring water into it. If you get your kicks masking up and dumpster diving with a reel line to extinguish, overhaul and salvage peoples garbage, be my guest. It sounds like you're taking the bigger risk sticking your head in there. Carcinogens don't just use the lungs as a pathway into your body. Do you wash your gear after every dumpster fire? Car fire? Structure?

I know that my tank will completely fill a 9 yard dumpster with some to spare. So emptying my tank with the deck gun into it is good enough for me. I'm not talking about a roll-off commercial type. That is a different animal entirely.
    IAFF

For a guy who doesn't care what others do on this forum, you sure are making a lot of noise.

I don't care what others do for THEMSELVES, but just as I will not let LA go unquestioned when I disagree with his ideas, neither will I let anyone else put forth a tactic that I see as unsafe. This a discussion forum and ideas get discussed. You don't have to agree with mine and I certainly don't have to agree with yours.

We don't need to know what is in there from a distance because that's where we will be pouring water into it. If you get your kicks masking up and dumpster diving with a reel line to extinguish, overhaul and salvage peoples garbage, be my guest. It sounds like you're taking the bigger risk sticking your head in there. Carcinogens don't just use the lungs as a pathway into your body. Do you wash your gear after every dumpster fire? Car fire? Structure?

Nice try putting words in my mouth. Where did I once say anything about dumpster diving? Where did I once say anything about sticking my face into the dumpster? Where did I once say anything about using a reel line? Actually, kind of hard to do unless we call mutual aid since we don't even have a rig with a reel line.

I believe in the tactic of flooding a dumpster with a large line or a deck gun. What I don't believe in is not protecting myself with equipment that is readily available.

Do I wash my gear after every fire? No. Do you? Although, I do keep my gear fairly clean and probably wash it more than most.

I know that my tank will completely fill a 9 yard dumpster with some to spare. So emptying my tank with the deck gun into it is good enough for me. I'm not talking about a roll-off commercial type. That is a different animal entirely.
    Do what ever you wish, or feel appropriate and I will do the same. Seems pretty simple and straight forward.

Have a nice day and stay safe.
    Maybe it's not too late

Quote Originally Posted by JT_Fire_2000 View Post
    Nope, not on dumpsters either. If any way possible, my dumpter fire tactics involve:

1. Pulling up along side the dumpster.
    2. Aiming the deckgun down into the dumpster.
    3. Begin to fill the dumpster with water.
    4. Stop filling when the trash and water overflow the top.
    5. Drive away.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Nope, not on dumpsters either. If any way possible, my dumpter fire tactics involve:

REALLY? How close do you pull up? 5 feet? 10 feet? 20 feet? There is a heck of a difference between flowing the deck gun from a distance, 50 feet or more and "Pulling up along side the dumpster."
    Which can be done from a distance. Why get so close?
    Same thing we do.
    We don't go this far. No reason to run garbage all over the ground.
    5. Drive away.
    My favorite part.
    Have a nice day!
    Maybe it's not too late

Your trash floats?

Wow, high class.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Thank you, thats sort of the point I was making. No one gets scolded or made fun of if they go on air. It's just a general consensus that if you're a good enough distance away and not doing any type of suppression, you don't need to go on air.

I know a few here think a dumpster fire is serious enough that it deserves a lengthy explanation of why everyone is wrong on what they do, but its a fairly mundane training exercise. Officer gets out, watches rookie deploy a line (BREATHING PRECIOUS AIR NECTAR OF THE GODS), (if needed) back up guy (ON AIR OMG HES ON AIR AHH) walks to the dumpster and uses a pike pole to open the top, walks back to the nozzleman/rookie and backs him up, (since I frequently fill in as operator) I go to the pump panel and the driver/operator quizzes me and test me on the panel while i give water to the two guys, officer tells them when to stop, we rack up the crosslay while keeping an eye on it, wait an extra 10 minutes, swap with the spare bottles, go on about our business.

People are on air where they should be on air, and people are off air where they can be off air. How did this even become a problem to anyone?

As an instructor, I also say they should be on air at a dumpster fire but it would be very foolish to expect them to be on air, 30 feet away, doing nothing. Air conservation is just as important as air utilization.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

One thing is for sure. Fyred certainly has the sharpest axe on this forum. He can split hairs like no other.
    IAFF

Do what ever you wish, or feel appropriate and I will do the same. Seems pretty simple and straight forward.

Have a nice day and stay safe.
    I concur sir. You have a nice day as well.
    IAFF

One thing is for sure. Fyred certainly has the sharpest axe on this forum. He can split hairs like no other.
    Which is why he's on an engine. Sharp axes make poor roof-opening-axes.

/jokes.

Forum Member

5. Drive away.
    ...and its fire prevention. Fill it up and they can't set it on fire again. It only took one time going back a half hour later for me to figure that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    Which is why he's on an engine. Sharp axes make poor roof-opening-axes.

/jokes.
    You are a funny man!

The truth is I am, as Gonzo has declared, Bi-Trucksual, because I ride on a Quint. To me there is no such thing as truck work or engine work, because it is ALL Quint work.

Have a nice evening!
    Maybe it's not too late

I use my knife to split hairs. Everyone knows a fire axe shouldn't be razor sharp. If it is the edge doesn't last.

Have a nice evening!
    Maybe it's not too late

Thread Information