Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Orientation

Forum Member

Default Orientation

Hello everyone!

I wanted to pick some brains to see how other departments did things, so here is my question:

What does your department do for the orientation/ training of new hires?

I work in a rural area in northeast Ohio. We are a combination department employing three full time paramedics on a 24/48. The three full time medics are supplemented by part time EMTs, Intermediates, and Medics. The part time employees work 0800-2000 and 2000-0800. There is the availability for the part timers to work a 24 hour shift depending how they work their schedules. We run roughly 800 calls per year.

Over the years, we have been to both sides of the spectrum; we have had very little for orientation/ initial training, to a very rigid schedule. I am looking for something in the middle. I want there to be structure to the program, yet not take six months for a new employee to be able to complete, because they haven't carried a patient on a stair chair 25 times. I would like it to be somewhat reasonable that includes demonstrations that can be done on shift, as well as something that includes on the job training. I would also like something that can be uniform for both full time and part time. (The full time employees are officers, but they can learn that after the basics have been grasped).

What kind of programs do you and your departments utilize? How long does it usually take to get through the program? Is there any documentation that goes with the program to show that the employee proved to be competent at a particular skill?

I look forward to reading any insight that any of you may be able to provide.

Thank you for you time!

MembersZone Subscriber

The orientation I went through as a new EMT at an ALS service was informative, but simple. It was for an ALS service that ran two ambulances, 24/7, with 12 hours shifts and averaged about 4500 runs a year. We normally staffed with an EMT and Medic, but on lucky days would have two medics to a truck.

The list of objectives was about 4 pages long. Included everything from changing O2 tanks, connecting 12 leads, starting central lines, and even what wrecker service to call in case of a breakdown. Ran us through the hospitals, their services and locations. And even the most commonly called to residences and nursing homes. Even as an EMT, they wanted to make sure we understood ALS procedures to better assist our medics.

It was very informative for me, coming from a BLS volunteer service. But it also gave us a chance to receive credit for what skills and knowledge we already had... we just had to demonstrate what we knew.

But it also gave us a chance to receive credit for what skills and knowledge we already had... we just had to demonstrate what we knew.

This is really important to keep in mind. If you hire a medic who has been a medic for 10 years they need a lot less orientation than a basic who just got there license. I just finished up sitting through a 3 week orientation before being released. If id been given a chance to demonstrate what I already knew I could have been on the street in a week after learning all of the specific day to day operations

Forum Member

I work for a paid department. 7 stations. Roughly 130-140 personnel. The orientation depends on experience obviously.

New to the job? 2 weeks of 8-5 out at the training facility. PT, 2 minutes drills, time in the gear, and basic skills so they are a bit of an asset before the Academy. The do everything from pulling lines, catching plugs, overhaul, etc. Of course, time on air, evacuation walks, etc. Basically to see what they are made off, run off the people who can't hack it, and get them ready for shifts.

After the two weeks, they go the normal shift schedules at Station 1. 24/48. First day they watch the CPAT video, and run CPAT 2-3 times a shift. If we get a structure fire, the do everything but put on their mask and on scene they go straight to the IC. They are usually the 4th man on the apparatus. Once we all get comfortable with their abilities, they slowly start doing more.

If they are 1001 already, they are thrown into the fire. If it becomes apparent they are not up to par, we have some tests we give. If they fail, they are reevaluated.

Hope this makes sense and is what you are asking for.

Thread Information