Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Huh????

Default Huh????

"The City of Angels is on edge as the hours tick off until "Carmageddon" - the shutdown of a 10-mile stretch of one of the busiest highways in the United States, on one of the city's busiest summer weekends."

Ok, granted.....I never graduated college....I never went to college (well, except for a few weekends to Penn State Main Campus for some anatomy classes) but you know what.......It kind of, sort of.....Just seems to me.....Maybe I'm grasping at straws here......Maybe they shouldn't have scheduled this planned maintenance closure on one of the busiest weekends.......But I'm just spitballing here. I am sure those dweebs in Emergency Management know a heck of a lot more than me about the whole thing.......

About 15 years ago, they had to make an emergency shut-down of I95 right smack dab in the middle of Philly due to a massive tire fire under an overpass- the fire severly damaged I95 and they had to shut down the whole schmeel.....North and Southbound....for several months.....until they rebuilt it. And you know what.....That was an emergent shut down.....And they made less noise about that than these rocket scientists are about this "planned" shut down.....

I weep for the future.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

If you have ever driven on calif on a slow day, it is not good

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    "The City of Angels is on edge as the hours tick off until "Carmageddon" - the shutdown of a 10-mile stretch of one of the busiest highways in the United States, on one of the city's busiest summer weekends."

Ok, granted.....I never graduated college....I never went to college (well, except for a few weekends to Penn State Main Campus for some anatomy classes) but you know what.......It kind of, sort of.....Just seems to me.....Maybe I'm grasping at straws here......Maybe they shouldn't have scheduled this planned maintenance closure on one of the busiest weekends.......But I'm just spitballing here. I am sure those dweebs in Emergency Management know a heck of a lot more than me about the whole thing.......

About 15 years ago, they had to make an emergency shut-down of I95 right smack dab in the middle of Philly due to a massive tire fire under an overpass- the fire severly damaged I95 and they had to shut down the whole schmeel.....North and Southbound....for several months.....until they rebuilt it. And you know what.....That was an emergent shut down.....And they made less noise about that than these rocket scientists are about this "planned" shut down.....

I weep for the future.
    While I agree the timing may not be the best....what the f*** does this have to do with the future? Also, how is all the media attention a BAD thing?

They over 4 dollar FLIGHTS to bypass the 37 mile jam.

Unfortunately, I'm serious.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    While I agree the timing may not be the best....what the f*** does this have to do with the future? Also, how is all the media attention a BAD thing?
    I weep for the future due to all these college educated weenies making crucial decisions nowadays. They have plenty of paper hanging on their walls, but they don't have enough common sense to fill half a dixie cup.

And as for the media blitz, when it's in California it's perfectly fine; but when I am here in Pa, and I am watching on the morning, noon and evening news every night for a week.....well......it kind of becomes annoying.

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Agree on the National media blitz.. it's a little over the top. This morning one local news report on Carmageddon declared that locals were "bunkering down and refusing to leave their homes" and that "rioting was possible"..

Puh.. Leez.

As for the timing. I haven't been to that area, but I imagine even the busiest weekend is less then a normal weekday rush hour. There may be other factors as well. My understanding is this is a fairly major project and between everything else I can see "driver impact" not necessarily being the critical factor. Also, the news this morning mentioned that the construction company can be fined up to $72k AN HOUR if the project is not finished by 0600 Monday.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    Agree on the National media blitz.. it's a little over the top. This morning one local news report on Carmageddon declared that locals were "bunkering down and refusing to leave their homes" and that "rioting was possible"..

Puh.. Leez.

As for the timing. I haven't been to that area, but I imagine even the busiest weekend is less then a normal weekday rush hour. There may be other factors as well. My understanding is this is a fairly major project and between everything else I can see "driver impact" not necessarily being the critical factor. Also, the news this morning mentioned that the construction company can be fined up to $72k AN HOUR if the project is not finished by 0600 Monday.
    Well I GE-RONTEE Californy will make it a Cluster****of unparallelled proportions. Better there than here. I'm up to my wazoo in tourists but they are bringing a much needed influx of cash so we'll enjoy 'em for another 6 weeks

Default Traffic

Same here with the tourists dollars.....and here we have "The By-Pass" construction and "Dover Bridge" construction.....it still beats the hell out of what "Carzilla" is doing to So. Cal....
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Well I GE-RONTEE Californy will make it a Cluster****of unparallelled proportions. Better there than here. I'm up to my wazoo in tourists but they are bringing a much needed influx of cash so we'll enjoy 'em for another 6 weeks
    One of these years I'll get up there to sample this so-called barbeque you keep bragging about.......Right now though I donate much of my vacation funds to Dare County, North Carolina.

From reports, the shut down wasn't nearly as bad as they expected.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

It is a crisis in LA because people there drive to the bathroom from the living room.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Seeing as it turned out be a big nothing...maybe those college weinies knew what they were doing....
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Default Carzilla

Reminded me of Y2K.....a big bust.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Thread Information