Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Huh????

  1. #1
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,396

    Default Huh????

    "The City of Angels is on edge as the hours tick off until "Carmageddon" - the shutdown of a 10-mile stretch of one of the busiest highways in the United States, on one of the city's busiest summer weekends."

    Ok, granted.....I never graduated college....I never went to college (well, except for a few weekends to Penn State Main Campus for some anatomy classes) but you know what.......It kind of, sort of.....Just seems to me.....Maybe I'm grasping at straws here......Maybe they shouldn't have scheduled this planned maintenance closure on one of the busiest weekends.......But I'm just spitballing here. I am sure those dweebs in Emergency Management know a heck of a lot more than me about the whole thing.......

    About 15 years ago, they had to make an emergency shut-down of I95 right smack dab in the middle of Philly due to a massive tire fire under an overpass- the fire severly damaged I95 and they had to shut down the whole schmeel.....North and Southbound....for several months.....until they rebuilt it. And you know what.....That was an emergent shut down.....And they made less noise about that than these rocket scientists are about this "planned" shut down.....

    I weep for the future.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."


  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,892

    Default

    If you have ever driven on calif on a slow day, it is not good

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    "The City of Angels is on edge as the hours tick off until "Carmageddon" - the shutdown of a 10-mile stretch of one of the busiest highways in the United States, on one of the city's busiest summer weekends."

    Ok, granted.....I never graduated college....I never went to college (well, except for a few weekends to Penn State Main Campus for some anatomy classes) but you know what.......It kind of, sort of.....Just seems to me.....Maybe I'm grasping at straws here......Maybe they shouldn't have scheduled this planned maintenance closure on one of the busiest weekends.......But I'm just spitballing here. I am sure those dweebs in Emergency Management know a heck of a lot more than me about the whole thing.......

    About 15 years ago, they had to make an emergency shut-down of I95 right smack dab in the middle of Philly due to a massive tire fire under an overpass- the fire severly damaged I95 and they had to shut down the whole schmeel.....North and Southbound....for several months.....until they rebuilt it. And you know what.....That was an emergent shut down.....And they made less noise about that than these rocket scientists are about this "planned" shut down.....

    I weep for the future.
    While I agree the timing may not be the best....what the f*** does this have to do with the future? Also, how is all the media attention a BAD thing?

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber tajm611's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,071

    Default

    They over 4 dollar FLIGHTS to bypass the 37 mile jam.


    Unfortunately, I'm serious.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

  5. #5
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    While I agree the timing may not be the best....what the f*** does this have to do with the future? Also, how is all the media attention a BAD thing?
    I weep for the future due to all these college educated weenies making crucial decisions nowadays. They have plenty of paper hanging on their walls, but they don't have enough common sense to fill half a dixie cup.

    And as for the media blitz, when it's in California it's perfectly fine; but when I am here in Pa, and I am watching on the morning, noon and evening news every night for a week.....well......it kind of becomes annoying.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    Agree on the National media blitz.. it's a little over the top. This morning one local news report on Carmageddon declared that locals were "bunkering down and refusing to leave their homes" and that "rioting was possible"..

    Puh.. Leez.

    As for the timing. I haven't been to that area, but I imagine even the busiest weekend is less then a normal weekday rush hour. There may be other factors as well. My understanding is this is a fairly major project and between everything else I can see "driver impact" not necessarily being the critical factor. Also, the news this morning mentioned that the construction company can be fined up to $72k AN HOUR if the project is not finished by 0600 Monday.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

  7. #7
    Forum Member Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    Agree on the National media blitz.. it's a little over the top. This morning one local news report on Carmageddon declared that locals were "bunkering down and refusing to leave their homes" and that "rioting was possible"..

    Puh.. Leez.

    As for the timing. I haven't been to that area, but I imagine even the busiest weekend is less then a normal weekday rush hour. There may be other factors as well. My understanding is this is a fairly major project and between everything else I can see "driver impact" not necessarily being the critical factor. Also, the news this morning mentioned that the construction company can be fined up to $72k AN HOUR if the project is not finished by 0600 Monday.
    Well I GE-RONTEE Californy will make it a Cluster****of unparallelled proportions. Better there than here. I'm up to my wazoo in tourists but they are bringing a much needed influx of cash so we'll enjoy 'em for another 6 weeks

  8. #8
    Forum Member JayDudley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,272

    Default Traffic

    Same here with the tourists dollars.....and here we have "The By-Pass" construction and "Dover Bridge" construction.....it still beats the hell out of what "Carzilla" is doing to So. Cal....
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

  9. #9
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Well I GE-RONTEE Californy will make it a Cluster****of unparallelled proportions. Better there than here. I'm up to my wazoo in tourists but they are bringing a much needed influx of cash so we'll enjoy 'em for another 6 weeks
    One of these years I'll get up there to sample this so-called barbeque you keep bragging about.......Right now though I donate much of my vacation funds to Dare County, North Carolina.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber tajm611's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,071

    Default

    From reports, the shut down wasn't nearly as bad as they expected.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

  11. #11
    Forum Member EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    3,065

    Default

    It is a crisis in LA because people there drive to the bathroom from the living room.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC


  12. #12
    Forum Member Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,673

    Default

    Seeing as it turned out be a big nothing...maybe those college weinies knew what they were doing....
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  13. #13
    Forum Member JayDudley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,272

    Default Carzilla

    Reminded me of Y2K.....a big bust.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Huh?
    By Bushwhacker in forum Fire Explorer & Jr. Firefighting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-14-2006, 01:44 AM
  2. Huh?
    By mikeeps in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 05-09-2005, 03:08 AM
  3. huh?
    By blueeighty88 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-27-2004, 10:00 PM
  4. Hero? Huh?
    By CDean867 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-27-2003, 11:01 PM
  5. Huh?!?
    By Diane E in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-07-2002, 07:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts