Thread: Hello

Forum Member

Default Hello

Here for advice on fire academy and Paramedic programs. I'm in college currently and doing ROTC.

Forum Member

Hello,
    what kind of information are you looking for?

Forum Member

People's experiences trying to do EMT-B & paramedic programs while also in college would be helpful. I am mostly concerned with making sure I can have time for both my degree and the EMT courses.

Forum Member

Okey, I will see what I can dig up, a couple of my friends did that, but that where around 10 years ago, so things might have changed...

Forum Member

Your in luck, a friend where on skype, this is basically what he said:

While they are related EMT Paramedic training is a lot more time consuming, the certificate takes around 1000 to 1500 hours of work while EMT Basic takes around 120 to 200 hours.

The difference in work is that Paramedic's are allowed to break skin (an example would be to administer injections) and generally to use more advanced airway management devices to help support the patient's breathing. Basic EMTs is only allowed to use asthma inhalers, epinephrine auto-injectors and oxygen.

He said that he would not recommend doing a Paramedic program at the same time as college studies, but a basic course should not be a problem as long as you are prepared to add a day or so to your study-week.

Forum Member

Thats what I was looking for. Thanks!

Forum Member

No problem

Thread Information