Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Keeping Paramedic cert while in the military

I have been going to college in NV for 2 years and doing ROTC. I have ~3 years left to get my degree. I will be starting some EMS classes this fall, I have a 'First Responder' course this fall and should be able to finish EMT-B in the spring or over the next summer.

I am wondering if it is worth it to look into starting a paramedic program after completing the EMT-B since I will be commissioning into the Army after graduating. I might have room in my class schedule sometime over the next 3 years for the medic program at a community college near campus. I'm wondering if anyone has been able to keep paramedic certs current when in the military or if I should just wait until after the military to start a paramedic program. I should have a state tution waiver(National Guard) starting this fall so it was making me think of going all the way to EMT-P if schedules worked out.

Thanks for any advice.

Forum Member

I do hours online, but not near knowledgeable about what is all required to keep a cert

http://www.emcert.com/

http://www.ems-ce.com/

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CA_Brian View Post
    I have been going to college in NV for 2 years and doing ROTC. I have ~3 years left to get my degree. I will be starting some EMS classes this fall, I have a 'First Responder' course this fall and should be able to finish EMT-B in the spring or over the next summer.

I am wondering if it is worth it to look into starting a paramedic program after completing the EMT-B since I will be commissioning into the Army after graduating. I might have room in my class schedule sometime over the next 3 years for the medic program at a community college near campus. I'm wondering if anyone has been able to keep paramedic certs current when in the military or if I should just wait until after the military to start a paramedic program. I should have a state tution waiver(National Guard) starting this fall so it was making me think of going all the way to EMT-P if schedules worked out.

Thanks for any advice.
    I do not know how keeping it in the military will work, although I do know theres a way to put your license on hold? while deployed. One of my friends did that while he was deployed for a year.

But i will tell you that a paramedic class is essentially a full semester of courses. We get 30 credit hours for ours, and between class time and clinical time it would be hard to have other classes fit in there.

If you think you can do it go for it, just thought Id let you know.

Forum Member

Yea how my class schedule over the remaining 3 years looks now I should get my degree at the end of a fall semester and have a empty spring semester until commissioning. I was thinking of doing it then full time. I will check the schedule I made up over with ROTC and my academic advisor first though.

Are most people able to complete all their classes & clinicals in the 5-6 month span of the semester?

Thread Information