Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Truck Work

Default Truck Work

Just trying to find some logic for NOT running a Truck on structural fires. In our area, depts within 10-20 miles, refuse to run a Truck on any alarm. At one point, 1 of the depts had it on 1st alarms, then dropped it to 2nd alarms, but until it was called and reached the scene, it couldn't get close. Finally, they dropped it off all their alarms to a "call as needed basis". Are their depts out there, that HAVE a Truck Co in their area, but did NOT run them? If so, WHY?

No, I am not a "Truckie", but I understand and appreciate truck work and what a truck brings to the scene. It's frustrating to me that depts have these resources at their immediate disposal, but refuse to use them. What does everyone think about running a Truck on structural boxes and what is everyone's opinion?

Some of the biggest excuses-->
    We'll call it if we need it...
    We'll designate another unit to do truck work...
    Anybody can throw ladders and hook windows...
    The truck hogs the water...
    You guys park it right up front and in the way...

I know, some ridiculous reasons, but it's true... thoughts? opinion?

We have mutual Aid with the two cities that are in Our county.
    Sadly the County Fire does not have a Truck of its own.. I do believe that it would be useful to roll a Truck on every structure and do believe that its resources are invaluable to any system.

I do believe that for us it all boils down to the all mighty dollar and us not having near enough of them to buy one.

Im all for a Truck at every structure Fire.
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Forum Member

Truck work can be accomplished by any apparatus that carries the tools and equipoment required, or by a combination of appartus on scene that together, have the required tools and equipment.

My combo department does not operate a truck but simply uses the fansand ladders off the engine and the saws and cache of FE and overhaul tools on the rescue to do the work. The tasks are assigned to personnel arriving either by apparatus or POV as required.

A former VFD of mine set up an older engine as a "truck" by removing the hard suction and adding a second set of ladders and adding additional saws and tools. We took the mutual aid truck off our run card for single family structure fires for 6PM=^AM runs as we saw how effective this company was. We still kep the department on the daytime box sunstituting a rescue instead of the truck.

In many places a truck is simply an over priced tool box as it has very few opportunties to actually operate the aerial in a productive manner.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 07-17-2011 at 10:15 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

MembersZone Subscriber

None of the 17 fire departments in my county run truck companies. My departments is the only fire department that even have a ladder. But its a 50' telesquirt. We use it as more of a quint as we dont have a true engine/pumper. 15 of us are rural departments and just use multiple engines on each call and personal are then assigned to do truck work as needed. I don't understand why the two towns don't have truck companies other then the fact that don't really take firefighting seriously. Most of the rural departments have more equipment and better training.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Um, it is quite one thing to NOT have a truck and yet clearly another to HAVE a truck and not run it.

The one detail left out of the OP's post was whether this is a stright truck or a quint.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Our sister department in the fire district normally runs a truck, but the old one failed its ladder test and the new one isn't here yet.

That said, nobody who has a truck in the county (aside from the two career-staffed FD's) really runs their truck as a cohesive truck company - it's more like another tool to use, if you need to get up in the air. Truck work gets assigned to available firefighters. For most of us, ladders are a fairly new tool - we got along just fine with them most of the time, anyhow.

Last time we needed an aerial, it came from about 16 miles away.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And............

We send 4 Engines, 2 Trucks, and a Heavy Rescue on all Structure Fires. Everyone knows what their job is, and they do it. No Problems.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I worked for a FD that had a brand new ladder truck and stopped running it. Claiming that if they needed it, they'd call for it.

Well ISO came around and said if it doesn't move...you might as well not have it as they would NOT count it.

So they began sending it on alarms so as a 3/4's of a $$$Million investment wouldn't be p # ssed down the drain.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Truck Work

In my opinion, having a Truck Company and then not running it is a waste of a great resource. A few reasons I've heard for not running the Truck on all the "nuisance calls" is saving money on fuel, wear and tear. We run (2) Medic Engines, (1) Truck and the Duty Officer on all F/S.

Our experience has been that Truck Work when done properly and efficiently will save property, provide ladders for the Crews working above ground if a FF or Occupant is down or needs assistance, have specialized/upgraded equipment for RIC and also are able to be outside of the "collapse zone" and apply water into the middle of large structures such as "wide rises" (which we have a lot of).

I'm going to disagree with what was posted here about an Engine can do anything that a Truck can do. I have the ability to put the ladder up, connect into the Steamer Port and throw water a long ways away from an elevated position..... Plus, I can do it while working from a corner and out of the collapse zone.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyboy View Post
    In my opinion, having a Truck Company and then not running it is a waste of a great resource. A few reasons I've heard for not running the Truck on all the "nuisance calls" is saving money on fuel, wear and tear. We run (2) Medic Engines, (1) Truck and the Duty Officer on all F/S.

Our experience has been that Truck Work when done properly and efficiently will save property, provide ladders for the Crews working above ground if a FF or Occupant is down or needs assistance, have specialized/upgraded equipment for RIC and also are able to be outside of the "collapse zone" and apply water into the middle of large structures such as "wide rises" (which we have a lot of).

I'm going to disagree with what was posted here about an Engine can do anything that a Truck can do. I have the ability to put the ladder up, connect into the Steamer Port and throw water a long ways away from an elevated position..... Plus, I can do it while working from a corner and out of the collapse zone.
    In our situation, there is very little that an engine and/or rescue can't do in terms of truck work that an aerial can't do, short of an elevated stream.

Given that the vast majoority of our distruct are single story structures and the roofs and 2nd story windows can all be reached by ground ladders, the 28's and 35's we carry will get us anywhere. That also applies to the roofs of any of our commercial structures as well.

I do agree with your statement about working out of the collapse zone however, which is an excellent point.

Forum Member

there is nothing better when your in the **** then a good ladder company there to take windows and ventilate also to do a quick search just placing a engine randomly in service as a ladder is wrong if you have a crew that day in and day out do that work they are invaluable

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Truck Work

Just had something happen last week that confirms my point on Truck Companies. We got punched-out for a F/S with smoke showing, pulled up and confirmed the address, gave my Radio Report (Size-up), told my Guys we were on Fire Attack and performed a 360.

Medic Engine gets on scene, we go inside. Smoke to 14" from the floor, high heat and can't see crap. (3) inside with the Attack Line and the TIC. We find a fully involved kitchen spreading to the living room and dining room. Fire is knocked-down, Medic Engine personnel and I perform a Primary Search and then I grabbed some tools that they had cached (pulled from the Truck). Started pulling ceiling as the fire spread to the attic and only burned about 3' of the bottom of (2) rafters.

Engines sent to rehab and we stay inside pulling ceiling and overhauling. Medic Engines "make-up" and go "available on radio" leaving us to continue overhauling and working.

Awesome work by my Guys (flowed "seamlessly"), tons of fun, good times, good coordination between Crews and handled primarily by the Truck (Quint).

What was said about a well trained, disciplined and confident Crew is 100% true. Life on the Truck/Quint is good.
    Last edited by mikeyboy; 08-10-2011 at 06:12 PM.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Search and Rescue

Forcible Entry

Outside Ventilation

Roof Ventilation

Overhaul

Salvage

All without a hose line.

Nah, those dont require any extra training. All of those items are Truck Work. Its not just about getting the rig to the fire, you have to have guys available to do all these things, and doing them correctly while to learn.

My truck company is on every surrounding towns structure box minus 1. And they have another truck coming in from about 10 miles out, stupid when my truck is about .5 miles away, but thats where politics like to come in.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Picc.93Truck View Post
    My truck company is on every surrounding towns structure box minus 1. And they have another truck coming in from about 10 miles out, stupid when my truck is about .5 miles away, but thats where politics like to come in.
    No, that's where having a second truck on the card to cover you if your truck is involved in an accident or has to be diverted to another run comes into play.

But theres 2 trucks in the neighboring town... they choose the one 10 miles away.
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    No, that's where having a second truck on the card to cover you if your truck is involved in an accident or has to be diverted to another run comes into play.
    I'm from his area and I can tell you first hand, politics play a big factor on what company is dispatched and when they are dispatched.
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RyanK63 View Post
    I'm from his area and I can tell you first hand, politics play a big factor on what company is dispatched and when they are dispatched.
    I fully understand as that is the situation here to a limited extent as well.

Thread Information