Thread: Helmets

Forum Member

Default Helmets

Hey guys,

I am a volunteer firefighter and I am looking at buying a fire helmet as I am starting to purchase my own set of gear. I have been doing some research but thought it would be best to get some opinions on what brand to go with, what style to go with, and either leather or composite. Thanks for all the help and input and be safe out there.

Forum Member

Everyone is going to have their own opinion on this. My personally I use the Cairns 1010 and I love it. Good fairly light helmet considering it's a traditional style and the price wasn't too bad.
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Forum Member

Do a search here. It has been discussed many, many many times here. You will be able to find your info.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by csapp92 View Post
    Hey guys,

I am a volunteer firefighter and I am looking at buying a fire helmet as I am starting to purchase my own set of gear. I have been doing some research but thought it would be best to get some opinions on what brand to go with, what style to go with, and either leather or composite. Thanks for all the help and input and be safe out there.
    Why is your department not providing you with personal protective equipment, as the law requires?

As for choice of helmet, who really gives a hoot? Of course I'll probably start a flame war here, but they all do pretty much the same job, which is to keep stuff from hitting you in the head. Get what you can afford.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

What does your department require? I can see buying personal gear if it's an upgrade from what your department can afford. I did the same in the past. I would suggest seeing your chief and find out what would be required. What style? What color? What safety features? Then go from there.

Personally I really like the Paul Conway traditional helmets. I like having the sweat band in mine as opposed to the one in the Cairns. But to each their own.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

they do provide all of our ppe, I am looking to upgrade since I work for a small volunteer department the budget is not the biggest. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Forum Member

I am a huge fan of the Leather New Yorker by Cairns. The N5a...and NOT The N6a.

If you cant swing a leather - and there is one on ebay now, but it may be gone, in medium - very cheap - than look at the Morning Pride ben 2 plus...
    FTM - BTB - KTF

Forum Member

you like NA5, i have been looking at the NA6 and like it. What are the differences between the two?

Forum Member

you like NA5, i have been looking at the NA6 and like it. What are the differences between the two?
    An N6A has a dual layer Impact cap, the N5A has a single layer impact cap. The dual layer impact cap gets the helmet an NFPA rating and does add some weight to the helmet. An N5A is only OSHA approved, not NFPA is slightly lighter. The difference in weight is typically just under 20 ounces. Their is no other difference. The outer shell is identical on both. The differences are all internal. I own both an N5A and an N6A. My N6A is an older model without the ratchet system which i prefer. Weight wise? Makes no real difference to me. Even with a lighter N5A, once you throw a pair of wood chocks, some nails and a typical helmet light your lighter weight N5A now weighs as much as an N6A.

Keep in mind that even with the dual layer impact cap an N6A has, it will NOT have an NFPA rating unless it comes FROM THE FACTORY with an NFPA approved eye protection system. That means either goggles or a a full 5" shield. If you order it with only Bourkes or with no eye protection at all, it will only be OSHA tagged.

Beware of used N6A's or brand new but out of the box N6A's on Ebay that claim to be NFPA approved simply because they are an N6A. Many people throw goggleson them and then try and pass it off as being an NFPA stickered helmet. Ask to see the sticker.
    Last edited by WD6956; 07-20-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Forum Member

So where would be the best place to purchase the NA6, and how much does a NA6 usually cost i have found a couple different numbers that are pretty far apart.

Forum Member

So where would be the best place to purchase the NA6, and how much does a NA6 usually cost i have found a couple different numbers that are pretty far apart.
    It's N6A, not NA6. You will have issues doing a search for one if you type that in.

TheFireStore.com typically has the largest selection if you want to buy new from a dealer. Otherwise, Ebay has plenty, mostly used though. Just remember that if your department requires an NFPA certification and you are not buying from a dealer to make sure the helmet you are buying was shipped from the factory with NFPA compliant eye protection.

Expect to pay $600-$675 depending on options. But i have seen brand new models on Ebay sell for around $500. Just need to look around.

Forum Member

In fact, i just checked. Their is a brand new, in the box N6A in size LARGE, black with the carved eagle upgrade and Goggles (so it IS NFPA) going for $500.00 buy it now. No auction to deal with.

Forum Member

Like the others said..based on personal taste and opinions, but I personally like the Cairns 1010 and 880 for the volunteer situation...if you have to purchase your own helmet these are good for a budget.. I've personally grown to love the 1010 just because thats what i've been supplied with at my department.

good luck with you search
    "First In, Last Out"

Forum Member

Cairns 1044 with the defender shield. This is what my department has just recently purchased for everyone. Ived owned mine for about 3years and really love it. I like the shield being tucked away when I dont need it. it lightweight and not to big. Id loved to get a leather but I cant convince to the wife that i need one.
    Fire scenes: A well organized cluster F......
    These are my veiws and opinions.....Im just saying

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy911 View Post
    Cairns 1044 with the defender shield. This is what my department has just recently purchased for everyone. Ived owned mine for about 3years and really love it. I like the shield being tucked away when I dont need it. it lightweight and not to big. Id loved to get a leather but I cant convince to the wife that i need one.

X2 with the wife convincing lol
    "First In, Last Out"

Thread Information