Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Culture Diversity Questions

What is the best approach to answer:

"How do you feel about cultural diversity?"

Any method or key points to touch on? Any positive or negative points to touch on?

Thanks all.

Forum Member

Say how you feel. Dont try and tell them what you think they want to hear.

Forum Member

You might ask in regards to what area

Co workers

Citizens you might contact

Etc

Forum Member

Does it make a difference? Are blacks ok in one place and gays in another? I wouldnt ask that question^

Forum Member

Thanks all for the responses.

After doing some research, I used Fire "Captian Bob's" 3-step method dealing with cultural diversity questions:

1. Giving a definition of what cultural diversity is to you
    2. How we have to be as firefighters in a diverse area
    3. How it will be to live in a diverse firehouse
    Last edited by jjohnson3; 07-21-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Forum Member

You think they will buy it??

Forum Member

Hmm... Not sure?

Forum Member

1. Giving a definition of what cultural diversity is to you
    2. How we have to be as firefighters in a diverse area
    3. How it will be to live in a diverse firehouse

good suggestions

maybe make it a little more personal, as in what you have seen and how it has shaped your idea of cultural diversity, and what you think it should look like in the work place.

Forum Member

I appreciate your advice. Thank you very much

Forum Member

I would add that its a good idea to throw in some previous exposure/experience in a workplace that was culturally diverse. Sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Forum Member

Oops, See below.
    Last edited by PaulC.; 08-19-2011 at 04:51 PM.
    PaulC
    FF/EMTP
    City of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
    gethiredbyfire.com & The Fire Jobs App

Forum Member

Hi J-

Capt. Bob's 3 step method is good to keep you framed and help prevent you from rambling. You'll crush it if you can add a short story or comment that relates to HOW you came to feel the way you do about it. This creates a situation where your answer sounds like its from the heart and less like its from a preparation manual...

Best,

PaulC
    PaulC
    FF/EMTP
    City of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
    gethiredbyfire.com & The Fire Jobs App

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulC. View Post
    Hi J-

Capt. Bob's 3 step method is good to keep you framed and help prevent you from rambling. You'll crush it if you can add a short story or comment that relates to HOW you came to feel the way you do about it. This creates a situation where your answer sounds like its from the heart and less like its from a preparation manual...

Best,

PaulC
    Dead on - life experiences are golden opportunities to knock diversity questions out of the park. If you've been to college and lived in the dorms, or had life or job experiences in which you worked with a wide variety of people chances are you'll have a clean, simple example of interacting with a variety of different cultures.

For me...my college roommate in the dorms was 2nd generation Vietnamese American. So, while he was a natural born American citizen, he still embraced many aspects of his culture and it provided me an opportunity to understand something other than my white boy suburban upbringing.

Another opportunity would be past work experience. Military, customer service, etc. I waited tables the town I grew up in (still do on the side). Microsoft has a very strong presence in my region; they hire a lot of Indians and east Asians, who would eat out at my restaurants on lunch and with their families very regularly. Many Indians are vegetarian, so it provided me an opportunity to be sensitive to their cultural diet needs.

Make sense?

Forum Member

Logged in just to say "Damn. That's^ good"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    Logged in just to say "Damn. That's^ good"
    Thanks...I should drink and post more often

Default Great Job

I'm in the same boat as FDNYPD....Outstanding response Powerhourcoug and what the hell were you drinking as my brain cells need some help.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    I'm in the same boat as FDNYPD....Outstanding response Powerhourcoug and what the hell were you drinking as my brain cells need some help.
    Guinness...what else?

Forum Member

In as much as we support cultural variety and identity, we recognize the enormous value that a diversity of languages has to this effect. A language barrier is the most efficient self-defense of any independent community against wholesale US cultural imperialism. English may serve the purpose of communication between different cultures. But of what pertaines to the internal aspects of a culture, as much as possible should be in a language of its own. And not just in a spoken language of its own, but if possible also in a writing system of its own.

Actually, because not every language is equally suited to express certain ideas, the ideologies that make one culture different from another, are, to a certain extend, a direct consequence of the fact that a different language is spoken and written. For in the same way in which our economic interests form our opinions, so a language has its own dynamics of creating ideas. That East Asia is the culturally most diverse corner of the world is in direct corelation to the presence of more different languages and writing systems than anywhere else. This must be preserved.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by culturaldiv View Post
    In as much as we support cultural variety and identity, we recognize the enormous value that a diversity of languages has to this effect. A language barrier is the most efficient self-defense of any independent community against wholesale US cultural imperialism. English may serve the purpose of communication between different cultures. But of what pertaines to the internal aspects of a culture, as much as possible should be in a language of its own. And not just in a spoken language of its own, but if possible also in a writing system of its own.

Actually, because not every language is equally suited to express certain ideas, the ideologies that make one culture different from another, are, to a certain extend, a direct consequence of the fact that a different language is spoken and written. For in the same way in which our economic interests form our opinions, so a language has its own dynamics of creating ideas. That East Asia is the culturally most diverse corner of the world is in direct corelation to the presence of more different languages and writing systems than anywhere else. This must be preserved.
    We are the 99%!!!

Thread Information