Forum Member

Default No explorers in my fire dept. PLEASE HELP!

I'm 16 and live in worden, illlinois. Its a small town of about 1000 people and the dept is a volunteer one. I recently contacted the fire chief (a family freind since such a small town) and he said that they did not have an explorer program. I have always wanted to join the dept since i was little. when i was about 10 i went and bought a scanner and even memorized the tone for my towns dept and as soon as i would hear it i would take off on my bike and watch the trucks take off. Ususally i would beat most the fire fighters there and i lived about 6 blocks away (again small town). Since my town doesnt have an explorer program what do you all suggest i do?

Forum Member

You could talk with the chief about starting an explorer program and the department. You might need more interest than one person to get one started though, don't know how your area is. Or you could always go to another close by town and check with them.
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Find another department that does have an explorer program and get all the information about it that you can. Read it, learn it, memorize it. Then go give the chief a presentation about starting a program up. If you can impress him with the knowledge and the determination of explorer program that should show him that you are really wanting to do this.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

see what the chief will let you do, if an explorer program does not happen

wash trucks, do some training, etc

how many more years till you are old enough to volunteer??

Forum Member

I also live in a small town in NJ. Here we are called auxiliaries ages 16-21 or a full time student. Are program is set up very simple, we have 2 FF's as our leaders. We have a monthly meeting and we train alongside the regular FF's, We have no set amount of meetings/drills/calls we must attend they just ask that we show a reasonable amount of interest. We are aloud to ride any rig engine/ladder/brush/utility only thing is if a Vollie or probie comes we must give up are seat and wait for the next rig out. Any questions pm me I will help the best I can -
    Aux. FF#8

Forum Member

thanks for the input. theres another small town about four miles away from here so i'll see if they have an explorer program. ill also talk to my towns chief and see if i can help around the department. and fire49 - i have to wait another year and a half till im 18 to sign up and be able to volunteer.

also, whenever there is a structure fire i usually ride my bike out to it and watch what they are doing and try to learn, but obviously from a safe distance and out of their way.

Forum Member

Check with surrounding towns, and while your department doesn't have an explorers program, they will probably be willing to let you help out with washing the trucks, fundraising, etc.

Thread Information