Thread: EMT-B to EMT-I

Forum Member

Default EMT-B to EMT-I

Anyone know about how long an EMT-I program runs? Here in Louisiana EMT-I is not recognized but i'm in the hiring process with Atlanta Fire Rescue Department and you have to get your EMT-I. I'm a basic already and was just trying to get a round about time frame for reaching the EMT-I level.

Forum Member

I got my I in Nevada and it takes about the same time as your basic... about three and a half months.

Forum Member

Yeah its like 10 hours longer here in WA then your basic, but the real wait is when you try to get everything through the state offices, that makes the class wait seem tiny.

Forum Member

have you checked for an online course, that may shorten the time??

Forum Member

no i havent checked online. i was just curious because we don't have I in my state and all my chiefs in the training division couldn't help me because they have never had any dealings with this.

Forum Member

I believe EMT-I will no longer be accepted starting next year. They are moving to the AEMT (Advanced EMT). There is a new curriculum for this program. It depends your tech schools around you. My EMT-I was 6 months compared to another tech school close to me which was 1 year. I'm also in the ATL Fire process and heard they will be doing AEMT next year.

Forum Member

AEMT in Alabama is one semester (same as EMT-Basic) except you have to do double the clinical hours for your AEMT. It's extremely tough to get a spot in a class though considering Alabama just started it up this year, and every Basic is flooding in to take it. And now to become a paramedic, you have to go through AEMT first (instead of going Basic to Medic). Going to be hectic for awhile lol.

Forum Member

Cool. Thanks for the replies. @KeepBack500 i'm getting ready for the CPAT now. Do you have to take it or do you have the cert for it already?

MembersZone Subscriber

Here in Missouri it is not recognized although they keep saying they are working on it still haven't seen any definite stuff on it here. I venture to say it will be a while before we have it here. When I was in the military in Virginia I was looking into it and I believe someone that was already an EMT-I I knew told me it was like 3 weeks or a month more than EMT-B.

MembersZone Subscriber

Delaware is the same way not recognizing EMT-I. Does anyone know of any AEMT (since they are changing sometime soon) online course?
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Thread Information